What to do with a Stingray

I recently bought a house at a tax sale. The matriarch passed away, and the kids smoked crack, drank hundreds of bottles of liquor and let their young children live in squalor while steadily hoarding junk in all the rooms until they were filled to the ceiling. In the garage, covered in so much trash you could not see it, was a T-top orange Corvette Stingray under a car cover and in pretty good shape.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1BiFpSkMbNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Give it a good cleaning, make sure the T-tops don't leak, tune it up and give it the life it never had.

The body, and even the paint is in good conditions. I couldn't find any dents or dings, and aside from a few scuff marks and other minor defects the paint looks pretty good too

Engine bay wasn't too rusty. Based on the plates, the last time it was driven was 1989, I imagine that it has sat there for at least two decades. But the doors function perfectly, as does the hood and seat adjustments.

Marry a Filipino and start a Youtuba channel

looks like a 327, fix it up give it the life it never had

The 40yrd dumpster is currently blocking the drive, and a rigged a thick steel cable and a padlock to secure the garage. I will tow it the fuck away from the crazy crackheads at the first opportunity.
I have already had offers to buy it from a family friend, but I am sorely tempted to at least get it running and cruise around a little bit before I do. I don;t have a lot of money right now, tax sale houses have to be paid cash the day you buy them. However, I think if I get it that far, I will grow attached and never sell it. I secretly love the thing, the gauges, the body style, the fact I got it for free all make we want to restore it.

Throw it out, it doesn't have direct injection.

Do you legally own it? Title, etc? I see the junkies coming after you for rights to the car.

Brown azns are my fetish...
Can you ID it further? I will get the VIN off it tomorrow, slipped my mind today.

The one thing preventing it from being perfect is the automatic transmission. I hope I can get the tires to hold air at least long enough to get it on a flatbed smoothly.

Give it to me and let me restore any bad parts on it and live my dream

>Brown azns are my fetish...

I tried to make them my fetish but after having one as a girlfriend for 10 months I'm cured of that.

>8.5:1

ayy lemieux

No, the keys are in it, and the tax foreclosure law says that everything on the property is fine. Quite a few nice antiques in the house under the shit, silver dollars, silver plates etc. Cars aren't covered under that because its a titled entity. However, due to it being abandoned, and the crackheads being insane, I think I may be able to get away with a quiet title, they won't know anything about the process. The crackheads got a call from a neighbor, called the police on me, the police of course sided with me, and the kids got nervous and left.

I think it may take leaded fuel, but a race track near my place sells race fuel, which I think should be OK?
I also assume since Corvettes are so beloved that replacement parts will be easy to come by.
no user
I had a similar experience, dated one for six months, it turned ugly fast, but I still have hope
Here is where the locked their kids in.

I'm not *super* knowledgeable on these but I'll tell you what I know from these pictures.

Your Stingray is an early C3 and looks to be completely stock. 327 was an option on the early models, and judging from the wheels and logs, probably a 69 or 70, which makes it worth some money. 327 was a good motor too and there's a lot of parts for them.

Auto trans is not necessarily a bad thing probably going to be a TH350 or a Turbo 350. Check to see if the car is numbers matching it will have VIN numbers on the trans, the engine block and on parts of the engine bay.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your car does not have factory air conditioning, or the system was removed at some point, but that's an easy retrofit.

The big plus here with your car, is that it's a highly desirable generation of Vette and that means lots of parts and stuff to fix it up and bring it back to its former glory.

Plz

just saw that it is a 350, but check those numbers to make sure it's not a 327 anyway, either way you're good to go with both motors but they look similar. 350 means unlimited aftermarket

Snag a lawyer or they'll find some way to fuck with you. Human trash are remarkably good at hassling other people for money.

Looks like a typical house posted on /a/ or /g/.

Figure out the year, if it was made after 71 it takes unleaded.

There's very little hope you're just going to gas it up and fire it right up though. At the very least the old gas in the tank is going to need drained.

another thing to watch for with stingrays is the bodies are fiberglass, but the frames are steel. Take a close look at the frame because it's common for them to be completely rotted in sections, but the body will look fine.

Also the brake calipers are steel sleeves, not o-ring style, and are almost certainly rusted out after sitting that long.

>I also assume since Corvettes are so beloved that replacement parts will be easy to come by.

Yeah...they're easy to come by, but definitely not cheap.

Sound advice, I will look for one on Monday. I did form a trust to purchase the house through.
>Unlimited
I drive a FoST right now, but it doesn't go that fast, and is far too safe. Perhaps I can turn the Stingray into a screaming metal death trap with no airbags, crumble zones or pedestrian impact design.
Will run the VIN and take better pictures tomorrow.
maybe you can drive it if I fix it up user

Look up CorvetteBen on Judentube. He's a young guy who does nothing but make videos on fixing C3s.

What an interesting story you'd think the crackheads would have sold some of the junk to pay the taxes before it went to sheriff sale. What kind of a story did you put together on the fall of the house as you went through the strata?

As for the 'Vette, siphon all the gas out of the tank and empty all the other fluids looking for any suspicious materials. Replace all fluids. Put it in neutral and attempt to turn the engine by hand to see if it still moves freely, maybe with a vice grip for leverage. If it does, fill up the fuel bowls in the carburetor with some nice high octane gas (and some in the tank, maybe along with some fuel conditioning enzyme) , spray some starting fluid down its neck, hook it to some jumper cables, say a short prayer and try to turn it over. If it starts and manages to get fuel from the tank to keep running put it in gear and roll it back and forth in the driveway a few times. See if the brakes are frozen up or anything. See how the power steering sounds. If that's all good take it and get some tires put on it. It'll cost over $100 even for used tires aka double+ the cost of everything else, possibly even including a new battery but by that point when you've got it driveable and on the road you probably will be hype enough to be willing to triple your investment at that point and tires are an absolute necessity. Don't take it for long high speed drives for a while to see if you'll need to replace the radiator hoses too. Rubber decomposes fairly fast in relative car terms.

>What an interesting story you'd think the crackheads would have sold some of the junk to pay the taxes before it went to sheriff sale

Crackheads do very inexplicable things. It's sort of their nature. You see them do very dumb shit like this all time.

it would be easier to make the Focus faster

hell its already faster than the Corvette

Infinite procrastination. I suppose it's good something was done before they just rotted to dust in there. A similar thing is in the process of happening right now round the corner from me in a house where I delivered the paper to a perfectly sweet old lady with ground down stubs for teeth. Her coke head grandson has sublet it to his dealer but the cops I chatted up while they were staking it out said it was about to be taken for delinquent taxes.

It's definitely faster than the Corvette now but it's much easier and cheaper to make the Corvette faster. Inb4 "just crank up dat boost"

>easier and cheaper

"no"

"ok"

It could very probably take you years worth of work just to get it running, without there even be anything seriously wrong with it after it's sat for this long

thanks for agreeing

old cars are hot garbage

for the price it would take just to get that thing running 15s you could have a 13 second Focus

Lookin' good behind the wheel there.

I hope no one else after me takes the time to reply to this tard.

hurr muh old cars are the best

sorry for violating your safe space

youtube.com/watch?v=1BiFpSkMbNQ

>!t8NEWFAGAY
lul
I know I have already lightly modded and tracked it a few times, but it will be far easier for me to die in a twisted heap on burning metal in the Stingray.
Here is what I think happened. The owner, a elderly woman, was living happily in the house she owned since 1949 when it was built spent thousands of dollars putting in a barrier free tile shower, handicap toilet, grab bars, air conditioning and other improvements as recently as 4 years ago. Surrounded by dozens of pieces of fine antique furniture, and porcelain figures I pray she was happy. She volunteered at Red Cross for 40 years (found an award.) She passed away. Her grandchildren? or some family friends or something moved in and promptly started smoking crack, abusing children, hoarding junk, not paying the taxes, not paying the utility bills, selling her jewelry, most of her silver cutlery, anything their crack-addled brains could find. They did no maintenance, ignored the certified mail saying PAY UR TAXES OR ELSE and so I bought it for cheap, because the trash scared away most other buyers.
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Just curious, why did you buy the house? Planning to flip it, rent it out, or just live there?

I'm interested in this too.

I wanted to start a swingers place that specialized in piss orgies.

Assuming there was nothing wrong with it when parked he should be able to get it running in a day.

>Just 4 years
Wow that's pretty fast for tax auction but it was probably a nuisance and it's possible she was behind on the taxes when she died, maybe without a will. You have to wonder why the vette got parked, maybe when her husband died. If you do get it on the road you should put a small token to them somewhere in it even if it's under the hood - for luck.

>Assuming there was nothing wrong with it when parked he should be able to get it running in a day.

He said the last time It's been on the road has been 89. There's no way in hell you're getting it running in a day, even if there's "nothing wrong with it."

More than likely, there is something seriously wrong with it, that's why it was parked 89 and never moved again.

Not necessarily, maybe her husband parked it and then died. Seems pretty likely since according to op she was a widower.

If there was nothing wrong with it when it was parked, there absolutely is a lot wrong with it now after 25+ years of just sitting there.

I think it's more likely that the old lady's husband died and she just didn't drive or didn't care enough to touch it. A lot of times that happens - my great grandmother hasn't touched my great grandfather's basement workbench and it's been over 20 years since he died.

This years tax auction had ~ 1000 properties. I originally wanted to find a place to live for a while, but the area I wanted is a hot market, and $115/sqft+ was common. So, during the live auction, I decided to switch tactics and look in a few other areas. I had spent the preceding weeks driving all over the place and looking at potential homes, so I had a good idea about what each house had to offer. This house is in surburbia, the homes around it are $250k to $310, with a few shitty ones as well. This house sold for ~$30/sqft and because it is so old, on a much bigger lot than nearby houses.
It only two years of unpaid taxes for the County Treasurer to be legally required to auction off your house. They offer payment plans, and send lots of certified letters but if its all ignored, then he is required by law to sell it.

>$250k to $310
Where do people get that kind of money? Having lived in Smalltown Americaâ„¢ all my life, where houses average in the $140-170k range, I don't get how people afford those prices. It's not like they're giving away well-paying jobs.

>Perhaps I can turn the Stingray into a screaming metal death trap with no airbags, crumble zones or pedestrian impact design.

what every good corvette should be.

Haha. Not OP but where I live if you find a habitable house under $350 you're doing pretty well, and $500 isn't unusual. Drive 20 minutes from here and you're going past $3M properties.

there's a literal 40 room mansion for sale near me for like 600k.

Blows my mind too when I see suburban shitbox houses going for 300K.

WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU GET THAT KIND OF MONEY?

Nah, I'm just saying. If you had a 300k house where I live, that would be bordering on a mansion. I don't get it either.

You get a job and a mortgage. My last girlfriend was making about 85K and looking at houses. Her old job was 105K when she lived near San Francisco but the real estate there was so high she couldn't afford anything.

Well I'm going to try to fix this house up, live there for a little while and then sell it. I think I could come away $100k wealthier even if I keep the 'vette. Truly, how does anyone make money?

Apparently they get really good jobs. Problem is, good jobs require initial investments for degrees, training, etc. and I want to take out as few loans as possible.

Well you have to get a good job, then move to a good area. Of course, in a good area, the price of everything goes way up, and even thought you got a degree and a good job, you end up living relatively the same as some factory worker in rural ohio does.

God damn that's a sexy machine. Cars just can't look like this anymore.

Do some badass donuts, then sell it

Depending on OP's hands on skills, the 350 would be way easier to beef up, with fewer and cheaper parts.

>you end up living relatively the same as some factory worker in rural ohio does.

You might be living in a house the same size, but you're not in fucking rural Ohio. People get degrees so they can leave places like that.

A lot of the people I meet around New York or Boston are from the midwest or the south and would never go back.

>muh superior coastie culture
keep pushing that narrative, corralling all the most dangerous animals 10:1 all around the most haughty and see how well it works out for you.

ikr idk how people live in the midwest

the south indeed is pretty awful too

There's a lot wrong with the coast states and their culture, don't get me wrong. I hate the taxes and being a gun owner outside Boston is a fucking pain. But 2/3 of the people you meet here tell you what other part of the country they were born in.

My girlfriend could move back to her dead parents' empty house in Durham NC for zero dollars but instead she's making a life in a place where the houses cost a fortune.

Did her dead parents own a Corvette? Would you mind getting her hooked on crack for us?

They owned a 635csi and her rich brother has it now. Actually my ex girlfriend. We broke up a few weeks ago.

You get a loan. If you have a job paying 60k or more a year you can afford a 300k house pretty easily, as long as you're not also paying off two 60k dollar cars and shit.

>If you have a job paying 60k or more

This is Veeky Forums. Someone on /a/ posts a $150 figurine they bought and half the responses are "What do you do for work? I could never afford that."

And that is the problem with this country. So much goddamn space that is human habitable with very little environmental impact and yet people, many of which should never be within driving distance of each other, preferred to be crammed into a ~400 sq/mi area.

>I couldn't find any dents or dings
probably because the body is fiberglass

yeah lets all live hundreds of miles away from everything in the middle of nowhere

thats where I want to live

I would get a storage unit and move the car to it on a UHAUL trailer

Don't let the druggie faggots have any chance to even look at it, druggies can do incredible things, in the worst sense.

You're always thousands of miles away from almost everything no matter where you are.

Not being crammed in is great but most people want to be involved in more than living on Mars.

yeah but making grocery shopping a 8 hour trip and no entertainment within 5 hours sounds awful

cities are way too convenient to give up

t. someone who lives in a rural shithole and spent a week in an actual city and hates said rural shithole even more now

Ten hours of driving will buy you either of these road trips:

1. Go from one side of Nebraska to one side of Kansas.

2. Go from the woods of Maine to Washington DC.

For the love of God, please make more threads as you (hopefully) move along with that beauty. This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

A hardy kek

I think you just hate yourself honestly

Ten hours from Ohio gets you anywhere on the Eastern seaboard South Carolina and above or Chicago or Detroit.

>Ten hours from Ohio gets you anywhere on the Eastern seaboard South Carolina and above or Chicago or Detroit.

Yeah, it gets you _to_ the eastern seaboard and most of your drive is through depressed post-industrial country. If you lived on the eastern seaboard your entire trip along the coast would be full of history and sights.

And seriously, if you're using Detroit as a destination you've already lost.

If you're traveling state to state on the east you're just gonna be on a highway 98% of that time

dont know how it is at your state, but in ak they have a no proof of ownership title that you can apply for, piss easy too just did it for a motorcycle i bought thats been sitting since 95.
>get appraisal from legit appraisal place like a dealer
>get a 3 year surety bond for 1.5x the appraised value (they say its to cover legal fees if they get a wrongful title suit)
>bring the car to the dmv to have it inspected
>fill out title and reg paperwork
>?????
>burnouts
cost me 200 bucks to get it done, 50 for the appraisal, 100 premium for the bond (750 value, 1125 bond) and 50 for the tags and title. did it all in literally 1 day after i got the bond company onboard.

Have you never watched roadkill nigga? :^)

But you can get off the highway and visit something interesting other than an empty Pennsylvania coal town.

Id you need leaded fuel try your nearest airport that has an FBO and buy fuel there

Looks like a rape station for the children

How come stuff like this never happens to me :(

That's the plan, I already have a garage , and I will be getting it away from the crackheads ASAP
I will user, I will
I think it's called a Quiet Tile Claim or something like that here, I didn't consider a bond, but that could be a good idea.
I'm going to drive out there in about an hour, I'll take better pictures, run the VIN and figure how to get the Stingray out of there

If you stop in New Jersey you're going to be a lot longer than 10 hours - also
>Being on Veeky Forums
>Not loving Detroit
It must be shitty being a weeb

Go slower than a Camry

>I have already had offers to buy it from a family friend, but I am sorely tempted to at least get it running and cruise around a little bit before I do

That is probably your best bet. Get your 'family friend' to help you clean the crap out the fuel system and check/replace the tires/brakes/oil, and enjoy the shit out of your old classic before selling it for the money you need.

Maybe make it a project, or see if the guy who wants it will let you help restore it in exchange for the rights to drive it somtimes.

yooo get some polish and go to town on that thing

if you have time and tools do the following
>replace oil and filter for obvious reasons
>drop the gas tank and drain it since its probably gone to shit
>get a new battery
now fire that bitch up

disgust.jpg

>years worth of work just to get it running
uwot
as long as the drive train is in once piece it shouldn't take loner than a week unless he just slacks off and lets it sit

>get the Stingray out of there
That's a felony.

You might do well to contact an attorney and your state DOL. Just to make sure you can get title to this car. If the sales contract was for the house and contents, you may have a case.

>does not know how tax sales work

Criminals never pay taxes on cars they steal, but are rarely charged with evading taxes.