I want to learn to wrench

I want to learn to wrench.
Would buying a high maintenance car be a good idea?
It'll be more difficult, but it'd be faster to learn, no?

sure, its a good idea as long as it isnt your only vehicle

but keep in mind most high maintenance vehicles arent regular cars and they require special tools to work on. It can get very pricey just on special tools that you'll only use once or twice.

Proper tools for the job will run you thousands and thousands of $$. Unless your doing easy shit, then you just need basics. But until you are repacking your own wheel bearings, building a naked block, and repairing your own trans (just as an example), you aren't learning to wrench in any special way.

A project is a good way as long as you have reliable transportation otherwise.

Im planning on a build sometime in the future when i've got some more money. but until then i'm stuck.

Start with a car that has direct injection.

i wouldn't go as far buying something that will rarely run right. just get a cheap civic with 200k and change the belts, spark plugs, oil and coolant and etc, then when things break down they will make you learn

I'm going to directly inject my dick up your ass if you don't stop with this dumb meme

this is exactly like throwing kids who can't swim into bodies of water
>HE GOTTA LEARNT SOMETIME
>[toss]
>crippling phobias and complexes engaged
>we are a go, i repeat we are a go for massive anxieties
sink or swim you definitely will
and who knows, maybe you're a modern eli whitney
but in this case sink is crippling anxiety and helplessness towards autos
protip: just start with your DD or a cheap shitbox

I better keep going then.

Have you tried not responding... DERP.

I currently have a DD that I don't have to go under the hood for much at all.
Wasn't looking so much at restoring or anything, but rather a car that needs things regularly replaced. Be it an older Jag, a high mileage honda or toytoa, a Ford, anything. I want something I can drive, but I'll spend time under the hood taking care of it so it takes care of me.

>Older Jag
NO RUN AWAY unless it is your hobby and you like spending 300 dollars on diff oil
>high miles jap crap
This is ok only go for honda, toyota or if you kinky subaru. i would also recommend old american/gook partnerships as well.

But the older jags are so beautiful, and most of the issues I'm seeing is shit with hoses and what not. RIP that dream.

Think a Legend or a MR2 or something would be decent?

i had an xj it was super nice and gorgeous still looks amazing desu, but everything failed on it... i am sure if you wanted you could swap out their junktrains for something better. and if by mr2 you mean w10 i would say hell yes those are great little cars that can be naggy and hard to work on with the whole mr layout, etc. but i can see as being a fun car to drive and to work on. just be careful those things are super snappy in the turns.

yea the XJS/12 is what I truly want. I've been reading up on maintenance, but fuck me.
The AW11 is mostly what I was talking about.

Hitting the hay, thanks for the advice, dump any more you feel fit if you don't mind.

Why not buy a fun car that runs and do replacements and upgrades? Belts, battery alternator, shocks. Why's it got to be a broken piece of shit to start with?

Seriously just search project on craigslist and you'll see your future.

>aw11
i love those things. i absolutely love them. if you can find one, do it. honestly those do not really go wrong esp the na model. a better can that may help you learn to wrench could also be the last gen preludes. look into aw11s and 5g ludes. those will fit your criteria

My moms husband threw me into a pool at the age of 7, now I'm Michael Phelps

The post literally said not looking to restore, rather something that runs but needs work regularly

Buy a cheap but reliable car with minimal wear and tear. Then take exceptionally good care of it.

>implying not a skellington at bottom of lake
go away spoopy an/o/n

>how to into wrenching

Have a shitty car then fix things as they break. If you're lucky like me they break a lot.

anyone got experience working on older porches? how difficult are they?

Not bad but you're best off tearing it all down and starting fresh IMO.

Like a rebuild? Would a 944 be easier than a xjs

944 v XJS

Just get a 300ZX, you goddamn lunatic.

Generally if the porch is made out of wood you can protect it with some mineral oil, such as Teague. Metal porches generally hold up better but concrete is the in between.

Why though.
Like I said, I like learning tough when it comes to hands on.

Sounds like you two need to find a gay bar somewhere.

Why start there? Get out your owner's manual on the car you have right now and look at all the maintenance it needs. Start doing that stuff yourself. Oil changes. Tire rotations. Brake pads. Coolant flushes. ATF fluid changes.

>anyone got experience working on older porches
Get yourself a sawzall and a cordless driver and you're good to go.

944: To replace the clutch, you have to remove the engine, torque tube, and rear transaxle as one assembly. i.e. the entire vehicle.

XJS: Amazing suspension, hamstrung by the fact that the car will never work.

300ZX, exquisite engineering and quality, fiendishly difficult to work on, as fast as a 944 and comfortable as the Jaguar, more modern and as inexpensive as either one.

Are we talking about the sexy z31 or the horrible z32

The horrible Z32, of course.

The car that inspired the 'gentlemen's agreement' era in Japan, and the only one to run away from the Mid Night Club. But hey, Z31 does have flip up headlamps.

Do you think Diablo flip-ups would fit a Z32?

/weeaboo

>asking about older European cars for learning about working on cars
Jesus Christ no, buy a first gen mustang with a 289 or something off Craigslist.

lol why would I want that over the z31, shits loops derpy as hell from the front.

>Would buying a high maintenance car be a good idea?
Depends on how difficult said maintenance is. It'll teach you to take care of your shit, that's for sure.

wtf i hate wrenching

>Mom's husband...

He's his mom's husband's wife's son
Probably black too lmao

no. buy the smallest, cheapest shitbox you can find. i highly recommend the ford Festiva.

If you're looking for specific recommendations, I have an '02 Elantra that I learned everything from.
Ridiculously easy to work on, decent room in engine bay. You can get them for around $1500 in good condition and parts are VERY cheap because the XD platform is still produced in China.
The GT with a manual is reasonably fun to drive. Swap in a stiffer rear sway bar from a Tiburon and the understeer disappears.

Just learn to maintain the car you already have, faggot. Oil change, all the different suspension bushings, wheel hub bearings, gear oil, tranny fluid, power steering fluid, replace your plastic reservoirs (wiped fluid, brake fluid), replace your pads and rotors, change valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and wires, replace your muffler. Once you're familiar with how to do all that, google "how to [insert super expensive dream car mod]" and read tutorials and instructions and they will make sense.

If you don't already have tools, spend $1k on tools before you bother learning how to do anything. Get a complete socket set, metric and imperial, up to inch and a half. 1/4 inch, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive sizes. Regular and deep socket. Get a 12V drill, 1/2 drill, impact wrench (and impact socket set), angle grinder (with cutting, grinding and sanding wheels), dremel (with every bit known to man), respirator, face shield, small pancake air compressor, air chisel, air nozzle gun, paint gun for air compressor, tire stem adaptor, a set of Allen keys, screw drivers, channel locks, needle nose pliers, vice grips, wire strippers, crumpets, butt crimps, shrink tube, wire taps, electrical tape, c clamps, hack saw, coping saw, wood saw, jig saw, skil saw, sheet saw, adjustable wrenches, drill bit hand drivers, floor jack, jack stands, ramps, oil pans, shop rags, acetone, wd40, liquid wrench, zip ties, breaker bar, torque wrench, and whatever else you can imagine yourself using. All of this and you should be set for doing basically anything you need to on a car, short of involved engine or differential work.

Forgot:

Crescent wrenches, crescent ratchets, socket extensions & 90 degree pivots, floor creeper, sandpaper of all grit numbers, sanding block, pressure washer wouldn't hurt, steel wool, scotchbrite, tack cloth, fishing line, duct tape, robogrips (best $40 I ever spent), microfiber cloths. Probably forgetting a lot more too. All of this can be had for ~1k

that's how i learnt how to swim though
>couldn't swim
>one time jumped in deep water without knowing it's deep
>learn instantly

but anyway, you can't really learn how to fix a car without a car to fix. you can't start with your DD because there is nothing to do here.

Buy a dilapidated 70s UJM, restore it, sell it to some cuck for massive profit.

this for real, i have an 8th gen civic.
wrenching it would be limited to shit like filter changes.

Not OP.

I'm going to get some rwd manual so I can slip and slide (tm).
All my options so far tend to be 80s and early 90s vehicles.
I'd also like top learn how to wrench.
What am I going to need to learn in order to maintain and keep my drifto caru running?

I recently bought a Cobalt SS with a beat to shit suspension and some other issues. Boutta learn to install front struts and control rods and shit. All ya need it some tools.

The Legend will be more expensive to work on than most older Hondas. It doesn't share many parts with other cars of it's time since the engine is a C-series that was only used in the Legend and NSX in the US market.

What about a Miata? Asking for me as well

keked at these