/stsg/ - Starsector General

Birdies when? edition.
Previous thread: >What?
"Mount & Blade in Space"; Fight, trade, salvage, scan.
youtube.com/watch?v=eAvo3S0MD-o
>Where?
fractalsoftworks.com
(old trailer)

>Current version
0.8aRC19

>Up to date Mods:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>0.8.1 When?
????

>1.0 When?
ayy lmao

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc
youtube.com/watch?v=g6qnOjfdbMw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

UPDATE BLACKROCK NOW

when

We’re free ships and crews and we go where we please,
and we’ll haul you to hell and no more!

Why are Diable and Neutrino ships so weak?

Why does every bitch about Ironman being "unfair" because you can get ambushed by much larger fleets and can't always avoid bad situations or bad matchups.
That's intentional. The same shit happens in Mount and Blade.

And it's okay because you can fucking RUN AWAY. Retreating is a thing that you can do and you can often do it without losses if you defend your slower ships instead of making a beeline to the edge of the map

Beagles video is what got me to buy this game and I think it's very good for the OP post, Alex also refers to it (and a couple others) on the FAQ page itself

youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

Because it's an early version of the game and a lot of the mechanics are not fleshed out.

so until blackrock comes out, is mount and blade actually good

That's Diable's shtick. Half decent but small shields, good mobility, decent medium-long range weapons. Vapor's fucken awesome because of it. The cruisers do suffer because of it.

Sure, why not?

Play it with Gekokujo to taste magnificent Nippon steel.

It takes a really long time of doing nothing to fly from one end of the sector to the other. Often you just want to let the autopilot do it while you do something else and not have to worry about getting caught by sudden pirates. It would okay if it bleeped and paused when a moving, unidentifed contact appeared.

Pretty sure about 80% of playtime is now spent flying to an outer system.

Diable and Neutrino fleets require proper compositions to make up for inherit weaknesses. A properly fielded fleet will take away weakness and enhance strengths of ships. With that said, there are some Diable and Neutrino ships that can solo fleets.

Actual M&B? Yes. Very. Firearms sort of ruin it because it's not a great shooter but the swordfight mechanics hold up and no other game does 100 vs 100 fights (or bigger) like it while still being enjoyable as a 1on1 fighter.

Try Warband if you're not sure which to pick.

I consider mount and blade to be one of the best games ever made

cool

What I do is if I don't win the fight the first time, I will reload and try to disengage instead. I think that's fair. I take my shot and see if it hits, if not, I take my losses and continue playing instead of starting over from scratch.

>could have reacted to avoid pirates
>oh wait I can't when I'm mashing shift because hyperspace is fucking boring
>and I still have to slam "1" to confirm I want to enter/leave a system
There should be a high end sector to sector jumpdrive, the flight times do get ridiculous.

You can play that off as running a computer simulation of the fight. If you lost in the simulation then you assume you would have lost in reality and go for the disengage option.
If you won in the simulation then it was actually an ender's game moment.

Works for me. I just really hate starting over. And I know you can keep playing after a defeat but that's just wrong and everyone knows it.

Are you guys just not using Sustained Burn? That shit should be on at all times.

Also I could be wrong but flight times to outer stars feel about as long as they used to be in 0.7 because you didn't have it (and were dodging nebulas/hyperstorms). In this you just get the skills to not slow down in nebulas and just hold shift and travel in a str8 line to preserve fuel. Well I do at any rate.

You can also enable Dev mode (in settings.json) which allows you to use space bar to "disengage" from text prompts; it gives you a couple of seconds to move away.

Far from ideal but if you don't want to deal with a feature that's working as intended then that's what you got.

>hueg fleet chasing me
>run into a tiny sensor contact that you fail to sense because smol
>oh no i'm now engaged in a battle w/ them and have to fight both fleets as allies

I approve

>out of fuel and not far from the inner worlds
>1200 supplies so i'll be fine to sit here and distress call enough fuel to get back
>1100 supplies and an entire cycle later still stranded
>moved a tiny bit closer into a system i haven't explored but there was nothing there to help
>distress calling on cooldown the entire time
>only had 4 fleets show up
>3 pirates and 1 persean league who is hostile
>destroy them all and get about 40 fuel from each fight
>have to scuttle almost my entire fleet for enough fuel to make it just barely halfway back so i can drift into an inner system
>massive battle with persean league as soon as i'm in their system as i make a mad dash to the independent planet
>fend off 70 some ships 3 of which were capital ships with just my paragon and astral
>independent planet has about 100 fuel including the black market
>barely enough to get to tri tach space
>fly across the system to jump, dodging massive persean league fleets
>jump and drift my way home
W E W
E
W

I don't know how people run out of fuel so often.

The english in the Neutrino mod is absolutely terrible.

Pretty ships, tho.

Not him but tbf, the only reason I don't run out of fuel more often is because I restock exclusively at Sindria. If I restocked anywhere else, I'd probably run the markets dry same way he did, with as much as I'm consuming. Battleships, it turns out, drink about as much as 60's muscle cars.

neutrino ships are not pretty to be honest

there need to be more markets so i can actually buy the battlecruiser capital aka the only decent-looking one

Good because you used the sc1 portrait

paragon or astral, which is objectively a better flagship to you

ONSLAUGHT

ONSLAUGHT

>using a ship literally made out of 80% rust

Onslaught actually wins 1vs1 against the Paragon. Nonetheless I actually go with the Paragon because it's a perfect flagship once you stack a ton of Tachyon Lances on it.

Astral loaded up with Sparks.

Neither.

>being a fucking pussy who doesn't ram his enemies to death

A flagship should be a carrier.

paragon does not lose one point of hull points in the sim with the presets

Never should'of come here!

Do you have a Todd variant?

I try to add description but holy shit it not working and I do not even know why.
Fuck this shit.

Does this game let me have my own fleets and factories and take over sectors and start a trade empire like in X3? This is important.

Is there any 0.8a mod that has good low-tech ships like Tore Up Plenty?

>Does this game let me have my own fleets
Yes.
>and factories
Soon.
>and take over sectors
Maybe soon.

It will problably not be a X game but rather Star Control with features from X. For all intents and purposes consider it to be Mount&Blade with all its features but in space.

No, not yet. Just one fleet.

Play Space Rangers, Evochron and Reassembly.

good fucking lord that was satisfying even though it was overkill

why is tempest the best flagship on the planet?

>Soon
In a year if we're lucky

It'll have all of that Soon™.

None that has been updated. Everyone is waiting for 0.81.

Interstellar Imperium has semi-lowtech ships, and that pirates mod by Cycerin does a good job as well.

Paragon's the strongest ship in the game by a rather wide margin. Especially when you're talking about AI controlled ships.

Is there any information about what's going into .81 or any release date?
Maybe I'm blind, but I can't find it mentioned on the forum.

Final comparison of light carriers.
>Drower will be exclusive to Perseans
>Condor to Independents and Pirates(?)
>Donkey to Luddic church
>Mora will be Hegemony Overdrive Carrier(fuck damper field)
>Heron will serve Diktat, maybe Perseans(too)
>Cerberus light carrier(I bay) is planned for bounty hunters and pirates

>STOP I SURRENDER
>gets back up
>NEVER SHOULD'VE STOPPED

Independence War 2, X:3, and Escape Velocity Nova

Transcendence, Freespace 2 for muh mechwarrior green UI elements and a plot ripped off by BioWare

>AI wolf is so bad it cant even defeat a Shepard
all is lost

I see I-War 2 , I click lik... Oh. Well, I send you a mental high five then.

There desperately needs to be a way to set the AI for ships. Either through psuedo-officers or something else. Non-aggressive/reckless combat ships are useless. They'll literally overload the enemy and go away without dealing the finishing blow.

shaping up nicely

JUST AS I DID THIS I GOT A FATAL FUCKING NULL

FIX YOUR SHIT YOU DUMB SLAV CUNT

3 out of every 5 times, when I personally stick around to try to land the killing blow after overloading the enemy, some other cunt kills me. Either I overload from the flux cost of dealing that damage or some stray missile comes out of its ass and hits me.

Shields are too small on all Neutrino ships.

I want my 360 shields. Shield extender mods attached to all my ships. 360 or nothing.

sounds like it'll be out soon but I want it now

>Uses mod known for bugs
>Blames dev for crash
Sure...

I'm talking about even in 1v1 situations where other objectives and threats aren't even a factor. Ever go through most of a battle, check a map and see one or more of your high-end frigates fucked off to the edge of the map with some shitty frigate that it should have no issue killing? That's literally because it passed up on at least 3 free kills in the last 2 minutes.

was it something along the lines of "cannot cast missile" or some such?

>not blaming the person who decided to use java

according to the neutrino dev, its a bug caused by the vanilla MIRV missile AI.
"When a MIRV targeted to a figher, if the 2nd stage separate after the tageted fighter landed. that will crash.
Since this is a vanilla bug so either I write a new custom AI or Alex fix the MIRV AI can fix this. (And I already make phase missile system AI skip fighers in the released mod so that crash is really rare, but still can happen.)

Well, I will report this bug and think about a custom AI."

Can I rename factions. I want my Union, Empire and Nazis instead of Persian, Hegemony and Diktat.

what is the best ship to GO FAST IN

and/or what's a good Tempest loadout
obviously thrusters, injection, and overrides but what else

I would concede my mistake if there was any fighters around in his screenshot. There is none though so this one is probably not on the dev.

could be 2 different bugs. it'll probably be something that gets ironed out in 0.8.1a

Tempest is overrated expensive trash

>expensive
>get millions for free by murdering space kikes

user?

The best outcome, no doubt about that.

How do you even get capital ships without waging war against one of the major factions?

find a derelict capital ship, or find one on an independent market

Fatal: Null on start

>update GPU drivers
>update Java runtimes

Still doesnt launch

Anyone got an idea what else i can try?

this game is so fucking frustrating

How so?

you aren't allowed to make a single mistake
not one
one mistake and it's over, all of it

Crack it properly

Also all current mods pretty much suck, I don't want more ships I want more features. Gonna go back to vanilla.

that's not strictly true senpai

Well quick saves solve that problem.
Unless you mean in battles.
If it is in battles go with a sturdier breed of ship.
The hegemony has lots of ships that can tank a lot of mistakes.

>when another ship steals your niche and does it better than you
Is there a more JUST ship?

>Better beginning mod
>Starting ship includes a Tempest

Wew laddie.

Centurion needs to come back as a starting ship for the newbies

Not really. I play exclusively on ironman and do just fine. Losing a ship or two or three isn't the end of the world. Especially now that there are more ways to earn money than just bounties.

What's your problem exactly?

>2 Colossus freighters cost only 2 more supply per month than a single Atlas to maintain
>you lose 200 cargo but gain 300 crew over the Atlas
>you burn 4 less fuel per light-year
>you also potentially get 8 burn without a tug

So much for 'brutal economic efficiency'

youtube.com/watch?v=g6qnOjfdbMw

In 0.72 you started with a Scarab.
A fucking Scarab.

Is Wolf not enough? The phase skimmer is incredibly good

The Centurion allows for more mistakes, and newbies probably phase skim right into trouble

Why do we even need a starting loadout mod?
It's not like the game starts us with 10k and 40 supplies anymore.

You have enough cash to get whatever common frigate or destroyer you want.