Best bikes to turn into cafe racers?

Best bikes to turn into cafe racers?

I am thinking of building a cafe racer out of a cb500 four from the 70's or an old yamaha gs400.

Other urls found in this thread:

monsterparts.com/
youtu.be/5X19dK0OhyY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Turbo Busa or Ninja H2R

Y2K

Suzuki Virago

I think you should avoid cafe bikes entirely. Evidently you don't ride right now. Because you'd realize any bike can be made into a cafe bike.
Turn a Goldwing into a cafe bike. That'll turn some heads. Or a Harley Bagger.

Everything you use to make a bike into a cafe racer also makes it a shit motorcycle. If you want to hoon, get a sport bike. If you don't want plastic, get a naked bike.

DRZ 650 cafe bike
Honda VFR800R cafe bike
Vmax scrambler
R80GS flat tracker

The world is your oyster.

I want to ride in the hills and also customise.

I think a lot of newer bikes just end up looking like failed cafe racers.

You can do plenty of that without making one of the least enjoyable configurations of bikes ever conceived. But if I did a cafe bike, I would go for modern clipons, a sportbike gas tank, and rearset pegs.

Classic 1960s british bike if you feel like ruining something authentic.

>I want to ride in the hills and also customise.
Then you don't want a cafe racer. They were built for short bursts along the M1 motorway between cafes. And that is all they were built for. Not curves, not comfort, just going fast along a straight paved course.
Now stop your autistic obsession.

Literally cancer.

So what is a bike that can do both?

cb500s are said to handle well for a bike of their time... some have said they are kind of okay even when compared to modern bikes so I am unsure if you even know what you are talking about.

Unsure if I could afford one.

1970s bikes will speed wobble at high speeds.
By the 80s, that mostly went away. Some models (like the Yamaha Radian I owned) had them.
In the 90s and onward, you could take a bike to 150+mph and not wobble.

It's the march of progress. Bikes simply get better with time. If you must have a classic, own it as a second bike. Do not own one as a main bike.

I drive a car most of the time.

>So what is a bike that can do both?
Literally any modern bike. Try limiting your 'customisation' to stuff that doesn't affect performance; the engineers who designed it know better than you do.

why dont you just get a fagbike? (faggot)
monsterparts.com/

Cafe racer mods don't limit performance.

They just make bikes look better and go faster by changing ugly things that were done for comfort.

I also highly highly highly highly highly don't want to limit customisation or else I may as well just get a modern sport bike.

I can not even begin to explain how much I would hate to limit customisation.

You do not know better than an engineer, so don't try and 'custom' your bike. It is not 'sick', it is not 'lit', it is not 'illest', it is 'ruining a perfectly good machine'.
Leave it stock.

>They just make bikes look better and go faster by changing ugly things that were done for comfort.

Fuck stop making threads about your shitty cafe racer fetish

fuck off cafe cuck

Laughing doesn't make me any less correct thought.

70's ujm's are kinda ugly desu

dumb cuck will probably buy an open helmet

youtu.be/5X19dK0OhyY
This is all I can think of when someone says Y2K.

VMAX 1700

MT01 if you're a punk bitch

help i'm retarded and have never ridden a bike haha let me tell you about them anyway

How many kinds of bikes have you ridden?

Because I have been asking people outside of Veeky Forums that seem more knowledgeable than some of the people here.

You should be saying that to yourself if you think cafe racers are anything but eye candy.

Take a 30-40 year old bike with drum brakes, dual rear shocks, and shit aerodynamics and proceed to fuck around with it's rake/trail, and suspension ratios just so that you have a cool stance without any regard to how those changes affect handling. Cut the subframe and compromise the structure and do some shit weld job for a new seat hoop. Throw on some absolutely garbage tires like the firestones, just because they look cool; then replace the air filters with objectively worse pod filters or even velocity stacks, because, again, they look cooler. Don't forget your exhaust wrap, because that looks cool! Even though it does jack shit for your exhaust and helps with rusting since it keeps moisture.

Cafe Racers are a shit. If you actually cared about riding, the first thing you'd do is toss out the entire front fork, rear suspension, and change to disk brakes, but that would cost more than the donor bike itself.

You still shitting on about building a cafe racer and refusing to hear anything that opposes it?

Seriously, just buy that clapped out CB500 and sink countless hours and money into "customising" it, only to realise it's still a slow nugget that can't stop or turn and you don't enjoy riding because it's too uncomfortable.

Go on, I dare you.

You don't even know what you want, you just want something.

or worse, he will buy one of those open face helmets with face mask

Not all cafe racers are like that.

Or what buy a litre bike only to realise I will never be Casey Stoner...

Oh and I forgot to mention that drum brakes actually brake harder than discs until they get hot.

The reason they use disks instead is because disk brake dissipate heat better so they brake well for longer.

This should be fine as it's mostly going to be used for casually rides in the mountains on the weekends and not racing or daily transport.

But cafe racers are meant only for short-distance sprints.

I don't think you understand; THEY ARE NOT FOR CORNERING.
Fuck off with your autistic obsession; the 1960s are over. You will never be a rocker. You will never race between cafes. You will never fight mods on the beach.
Shut
The
Fuck
Up.

I don't want to be a rocker I just want to build a motorcycle.

You assume a lot about a person...

Dear OP,

Just pick a bike and try to build it and shut the fuck up already you condescending know nothing prick.

Sincerely,
Everyone

>Hi I'm OP
>How do I further wreck an already shittilily performing bike
>REEE WHY WONT YOU HELP ME

Just get a buell blast.

#notallcafes

Seriously just admit you only want the bike for looks because that's all it's good for. Nobody would be shitting on your choice if you were just frank about why you want one instead of claiming them to be something they're not, which is a good bike.

Im a nobike and filthy cager but all I want is a Honda RC166

Fucking nigger don't ruin a UJM

i used to love riding the RC162 in Tourist Trophy
i wish they'd make a sequel

How the fuck do you people comfortably ride bikes like that? I'm 6' at 210lbs, ballpark average American male and a Grom feels like a fucking child's bike. How? How do you ride that and think it's fun? A Rebel 500 is the bare minimum for a comfy but fun bike.

>6'
>210lbs
>ballpark average American male
fucking stop embarrassing the rest of us goddamn

A grom is a child's bike though

Yeah, I 50 percent want to stylise a bike and 50 percent want to ride it when I am done.