/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/

[embed] edition

>Stellaris
- FAQ : pastebin.com/abGgZJnT (embed) (suggestions/feedback welcome, reply to OP with them)
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1 pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh (embed)
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5 reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki

>Endless Legend
- Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Endless Space 2 soon.

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (embed)

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

woops missed the old thread link:

>seriously just play the game, mix corvettes and destroyers and watch how they don't die first
destroyers with 2 cloud lightning weapons will absolutely obliterate enemy corvette based fleets in the first 20 years of the game. It's a shame there's no upgrade path for cloud lightning.

>arc emitters are the closest thing
>they're x slots

gay as fuck desu

Name my ringworld segments.

I really wish the game was more modular in general.
Give us the option of not having to worry about the new features and whatnot.

Energy
Torpedo
Corvette
Spam

Detroit

Imagine if ship components were all based on a "base technology" which could be improved through research. Laser, mass driver, missile, mining laser (particle beam?), cloud lighting... Instead of Lasers Mk2 it'd be increasing the damage or range or accuracy or reducing the cost/build time, sort of repeatable techs but allowing the player to design their own weapons through research.

Dude read past the first sentence of my post, destroyers can't tank. They are literally worse at it than corvettes.
I understand large destroyers pre-cruisers is a big no-no. They don't have significant extra tracking until you get good sensors and chip, though, and their own lack of evasion is to be factored in too

Cloud lighting any good? I figured it was just a waste of research like arc

That would make the game too good, and thats verboten.

Put them on destroyers and melt any army in the first few decades of the game. They're very good since they haev 100 tracking/accuracy so nothing can dodge them. Very hand against corvette spam. The only con is you might not come across void clouds to get the tech.

I might have missed a mention last thread, but just in case, they announced that Digital Deluxe owners will get the next two DLC Civilization + Scenario Packs for Civ VI as well.

At least two new civs from Africa and Southeast Asia, and three leaders total.

Hey, awesome.

PLEASE BE MALI PLEASE BE MALI PLEASE BE MALI.

DONT STOP BELIEVING

I wouldn't mind Mali, Mansa Musa is a funny fucker.

Why haven't the Hittites ever been in a real civ game? They are pretty important historically and fit an empty era. Sumeria too, they've been absent since BTS I think. Genuinely can't think of any African civs beyond Mali and to some extent South Africa.

Mali, Songhai, Aksum, and Nubia are the only real black civilizations.

So, Horizon Signal. How far down the decision tree do I need to go for the achievement? If I decide to ignore the signal at the very first decision branch, does that count as "not closing the loop" for it? Or do I need to get to the very, very last one before it counts? (I'm on ironman obviously so there's no room for experimentation.)

>If I decide to ignore the signal at the very first decision branch, does that count as "not closing the loop" for it?
First one and second one isn't enough.

Horizon Signal feels wrong for Commonwealth of Man since they're colonists who didn't evolve on the moon they start from.

r8 muh spess elfs

They are based (stolen) from Master of Orion.

Alpine is best biome. This is literally irrefutable.

why not use the space elf mod

Why is that?

Insufficiently blue.

How long until we can blow habitats out of the sky?

>1.6 Adams Update

>Humans are now Adaptive, Nomadic and Wasteful instead of Quick Learners and Nomadic

Or at least find creative and interesting ways of re-purposing them.

whats wrong with this

Wasteful was a mistake. It should be gluttonous. High/Low Metabolism traits with more or less food consumption.

I see. I'm not really receptive to the ethics changes it causes, so I may just sit on it and do it as the very last thing before quitting my current empire. I had the RNGesus smile on me and stumbled on the signal about ten years into the game, so I immediately jumped out of the system and left it to hibernate in my situation log.

Who hype for Endless Space 2?

>And an other change is that humans are going to be adaptive, nomadic and wasteful.
>Yeah, I don't know why they were Quick Learners considering what happened in 2016.
>And that whole Trump thing.
>Yeah

i just hope it comes out on steam so i can get chevements for my e-pen

They should be deviants instead.

>elects a female negro
>not wasteful

>aksum

Yes please, I want my spice boys

They're such good little swedecucks it's unbearable.

>He doesn't know

> Possible to repair ruined Ringworlds with the Mega-Engineering technology
> Reworked the empire diplomacy rooms into a set of 16 different rooms themed around AI personalities that can be freely chosen between when designing an empire
> Replaced Growth Time modifier effect with Growth Speed and rebalanced related values
> Added the ability to drain sector resource stockpiles, giving you 75% of their stockpiled resources at the cost of 100 influence. The cost is reduced to 25 influence during defensive wars
> It is now possible to terraform inhabited planets if you have researched the new Ecological Adaptation tech
> You can now set taxes for Energy Credits and Minerals on sectors separately
> Ironman autosaving is now quarterly instead of monthly

>Share the Burden edict is no longer possible for synthetic empires

So why would I ever choose synthetic ascension now? Just go full bio for you main pops and have better synths as well?

>not picking every ascension anyway

What a shitter

>Mods will fix it XD

>Unbidden now turn planets barren after destroying colonies
>The Prethoryn Scourge crisis will now show up more often and the Unbidden less often
>More than doubled the base strength of the Prethoryn Scourge invasion fleets
>Doubled the base strength of the Extradimensional fleets, and their initial fleet has been more than quadrupled
>The power of crisis fleets now scales to the size of the galaxy
>The power of Fallen/Awakened empire fleets now scales somewhat to the size of the galaxy

Anyone been playing GC3: Crusade? How is it? Does it make GC3 more of its own game and less GC2 with better grafix?

Welcome to the modern age of video games where devs are free to be lazy because some nerd will fix it all anyway for free. Steam Workshop was a mistake.

>Corporate Dominion civic no longer requires you to be Egalitarian.

Fucking finally.

OOOOOOO SHAKA

>It is now possible for Fanatic Xenophobe Spiritualists to be Fanatic Purifiers

Someone said before that Wiz was confused when people told him that synth sucks.

You know this doesn't translate to fun, juts tedium.

> Sectors will now properly stop colonizing when you turn off the colonize setting
> Sectors will no longer settle planets that would anger a Fallen Empire that is superior to their own empire
> Sector AI should no longer build over Alien Pets and Betharian Stone with buildings that can't make use of them
> Fixed an issue where sector AI would construct buildings on tiles worked by Livestock
> Sector AI now prioritizes building robot Pops on planets with unworked buildings
> Sector AI now prioritizes building robot Pops on planets that have biological pops that cannot reproduce
> Sector no longer gets stuck trying to colonize planet in hostile system

Was he also surprised when people told him that Spiritualist is much better than materialist?

>waaaaa i can no longer sit in my corner of the galaxy doing nothing while the AI takes care of the galactic """""crisis"""""
>waaaaaaaa the """""crisis""""" is now an actual threat and it might interrupt my peaceful game of SimCity

Pacifists OUT

Did he say why? Cause honestly I struggle to see the upside at all.

>An actual threat
But it's not. It's just more fleets to chew through.

Also it's not like you can't just turn crises off. Though honestly, instead of just making planets barren, I wish that the Prethoryn and Unbidden just created unique biome types with 0% habitability for everyone, including synths, that could then be terraformed with a rare tech.

I usually just turn crises off because I don't like when the swam spawn and renders a quarter of the galaxy uninhabitable before I can deal with them.

hittites were in civ 3

Who gives a shit man, wiz is a fuckin idiot. You could present a document with 240k words on why Materialism is worse than Spiritualism and he'd just shrug and say "robots are good pops lol"

How he got promoted to lead game designer is beyond me. Total retard who can't balance for shit. Why the fuck is he making Warp even worse than it already is, for example? Were people clamouring for nerfs to Warp? Because I sure as shit didn't hear any of it. Most of what I heard was "unbidden suck, give us scourge" or "megastructures aren't worth making because by the time they are finished you have already won the game". Nah, better nerf warp instead.

I mean, it stops you from just charging to the portal/preth home from the instant they spawn and just killing everything off there and then and nullifying the event. Now with actual fleets you can't just drop on top of them and end it 10 seconds in. I mean, sure you can if you have like a 600k fleet, but like fuck you'll have one of those without some bullshit mods.

You can just turn endgame crises off if you don't like them, since there's no real benefit to having either of them happen anyway. It's just something to do once the game is already over and you're on top of everyone.

Stellar Expansion Terraforming is basically gonna be a requirement for this update, it lets you terraform barren planets into something habitable again.

when are they releasing 1.6?

Tuesday I think they said. Whenever the 1year anniversary is.

New Eden
Nirvana
Xanadu
Zion

Pacifism just seems dumb imo. You can't make an empire if you don't have others to subjugate.

Ninth of May.

LAN XANG
A
N

X
A
N
G

This is how I pacifist desu

You let the Vehement kill everyone else?

I wish I could use Authoritarian for fluff purpose but no migration and enforced slavery is shit.

Same here.

Authoritarians aren't locked into having migration controls on, are they? I seem to remember being able to change it. Enforced slavery too, since all they have is caste system which I think can also be dropped.

Yeah, I just wish Wiz would realize that making a quarter or more of the map completely unusable unless you want to build dozens of habitats isn't fun. I'm all for the crisis factions making a noticeable change on the galaxy that difficult to deal, but all this patch is going to do is make sure that people prioritize the crisis faction more since with the buff they're going to mop the floor with the AI empires even harder, meaning you're going to end up with a large section the galaxy as a wasteland. That's not interesting or fun, it's just annoying.

You drop caste system, and you get no bonuses.

You can be authoritarian without Authoritarian.

Each of the civics is actually misnamed. Pacifist should be called Anti-Militant. Authoritarian should be called Anti-Egalitarian. Materialist should be called Anti-Spiritualist. etc

Which is what the OP wants, authoritarianism for fluff purposes.

>ai
found your problem. Paradox balances for MP for some retarded reason even though the vast majority only play single player.

Well fuck me sideways, I never played much with the species right.

They play MP in the office and stick their fingers in their ears and scream that it means everyone else does too.

Personally, I think authoritarians should get something to combat unrest in general instead of being slavers.

Eh, who cares what Paradox wants to do with Vanilla? It's not like anyone here literally plays with no mods.

I mean, is there anyone like that? I bet even the cucks at paradox have a secret PC at home they don't let anyone at work know about where they have a personal fully modded Stellaris rig .

I doubt anyone will make a mod removing the planet-fucker ability from the crises.

Xenophile Authoritarian is broken.
Having xeno slaves means - 20 % happiness for the xenophile faction, which is what your biggest faction will be.
So fuck paradox.

There's a terraform a barren planet mod though. And who knows? If it annoys enough people, maybe there just will be.

>Can't complete this event chain because the Enigmatic fortress is in the system with the special project and one of the mods I have installed buffed it by giving it shitty little sniper drones that can ping anywhere in the system (shit accuracy, but a science ship has no chance, especially with the glacial speed it has while technically in combat.)

You can use Police State civic, though that's available to all non-egalitarian empires.

>Enigmatic Fortress nerf.

You will be missed.

Police State is available to non-fanatic egalitarian empires too.

What's with the Exile event? The one with the mysterious scientist on a planet? You can choose to raid his lab or take him in. Is there anything else to the event beyond this choice?

>power core, one of two usefuls
>shields, outdone by psionics, only other useful
>+chance to hit, tracking, does nothing due to bug that probably won't get fixed
>fortress module, need I go on

Yeah, definitely save scumming that or modding it back to how it was. Love it when a game that is mostly played in single player gets dicked by XD MULTIPLAYER balance.

>shields outdone by psionics
Actually, it has the same stats.

How is it getting nerfed?

Ah, okay. Well, the point still stands, it's useless if you have the psionic shields, great if you don't. So, 3 out of 4 are useless under certain circumstances, else 2 out of 4.

You get a random tech instead of all 4.

One random enigmatic tech instead of all of them.

I like the dynamic borders mod but it needs to modify the AI so they are more likely to drop outposts around and make Xenophobes try to actively build shit in your borders and take stuff, border range is a stupid concept, needs to be replaced with claims.

We need to have a de facto and de jure owner system, maybe when the space UN update comes it would make sense.

>Having to build observation posts in every goddamn system
Fuck off, democratic authority.

>De jure
You've claimed that star for ten years. You have de jure on jackshit.

>Space UN
Considering hives and purifiers, you shouldn't be forced to engage in this faggotry at all.

Borders should just be taken out of the game

Because having no borders totally makes sense when every 4x and grand strategy has some version.

>Gotta have borders
>Why
>TRADITION