QTDDTOT

Old thread, if you've read, its dead, So use your head
95 F150, starter started spinning and would not shut off, had to D/C Negative wire to get it stop.

Now when I try to start it, it wont engage the flywheel but still spins, Safe to say its the Solenoid?

Other urls found in this thread:

eper.fiatklubpolska.pl/
backyardmechanic.org/3-ways-to-bleed-brake-lines-by-yourself/
harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/3-ton-steel-jack-stands-61196.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm looking to buy a used car, max of 14k hopefully less though. Sedan or a small SUV, looking for a reliable vehicle that's nice to be in and drive. But I have a bunch that I'm looking at hopefully I can get some quick opinions on what I should outright avoid and what I should look more into. Thanks in advance.
>2010 Buick Lacross CXL - 87k miles - $10k
>2009 Lincoln MKZ - 74k - $9.5k
>2011 BMW 328i xDrive - 92k - $13.25k
>2007 Lexus ES 350 - 56k - $12.3k
>2008 Acura MDX - 123k - $12k
>2010 Acura TL SH-AWD - 108k - $12.7k

If you want reliable the first three need to be stricken from your list.

The last two are glorified hondas, while reliable, are really no better than nicely spec'd Honda Crv for the MDX, or Accord for the Tl.

R32 GTR or a 2011 CTS-V Coupe for a DD?

MDX is based on the Pilot, not the CR-V. ES of that gen is based on the Camry too.

DD a car designed in 89 or a car designed in this millennium? The Cadillac is way better for DD, old car ergonomics tend not to be very well thought out. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a LHD daily.

any bikefags use one of these handlebar locks? worth it?

motorbikefags, that is. not spandexfags

Where should I look into for getting an auto loan? I did a pre approval thing through my bank and I can get 7.5% which isn't great but I'm not sure if I can do any better

I own a 1985 kouki gts ae86 but the sound system sucks. What medium budget good quality sound equipment exists for cars? I've never done car audio. Also low-profile and not obviously expensive in case of thieves.

what are the odds I can get 250km with 12 year old fluids (antifreeze/gas/manual transmission fluids)
car starts and runs, would probably mix old and new gas in the tank
I can save $600 if it makes the trip

I'd at least try to replace the coolant before leaving

Find car on craigslist i want. They say their selling because they want to upgrade to an suv. Is this suspicious to you? Why wouldnt they just trade it in at carmax and get their suv? Why sell on craigslist? Maybe car has issues?

The medium budget shit is what youll find at best buy, but their shit is overpriced. I would find what you want and look around onlin for cheaper prices.

Also the market for that stuff is waaay down. Theres people on craigslist selling cheap, good, and top end stuff for cheap because their local pawn shop offered them pennies. Dont forget to haggle.

I'm going to get some rwd manual so I can slip and slide (tm).
All my options so far tend to be 80s and early 90s vehicles.
I'd also like top learn how to wrench.
What am I going to need to learn in order to maintain and keep my car running?

Totally uneducated on this, but I reckon they expect to get a better price/tradein through craigslist than at Carmax. What are you looking at buying? If it's a smaller vehicle and/or the seller has a family, they could legitimately just want the extra space provided by suburb-mom memes.
Regardless, you should probably pay a /trusted/ mechanic to check the car out prior to buying.

Why would that be suspicious? I went from a coupe to a regular sedan to an SUV. Sometimes you need more space especially if it's more than just you in it.

Trying again: How is the Caprice as a summer cruiser? I have a 95 Thunderbird now but 2 doors isn't that fun with hauling me and my friends everywhere. The lt1 engine seems nice but the optispark sounds like a nightmare. Is the L03 acceptable?

How's the Volkswagen passat? It's a 2014 with 62,000 miles on it. Reviews seem decent on it.

>brand new bulbs in all my lights
>everything works great
>all of a sudden, passenger front blinker stops working
>try to fix it
>get running light working
>still wont work for blinker
>go to drive it for an errand
>brake lights and rear turn signals don't work now

It varies from car to car as each has their specific defects, but knowing how to change oil and all fluids, filters, belt accessories, thermostat, coolant hoses, radiator and brakes would be the basic shit you'd need to know.

Sounds like a bad ground, youll need to get familiar with a multimeter and chasing down shorts.

Credit unions are better about rates but you have to a be a customer in good standing with several month old account.

The main thing that will denigrate your ability to get a loan is your credit if you have poor or no credit, you'll have a hard time getting anything decent

>too incompetent to wrench on own cars beyond incredibly basic maintenance
>too old to comfortably start auto career from scratch/make major career change
this was the only thing i was interested in besides running out the clock. am i super fucked?

I have water leaking from the front A-pillar and I think I found the source. Should I try putting silicone on it to try and stop the leaking?

Will someone ever bother to update the sticky ?

So i am pretty darn close to getting a 2013 Ford Focus SE with only 18k miles on it an its in great condition for 9500. I have read some mixed reviews but im getting desperate for a care considering my current shitbox just died on me and I don't want to put anymore money into it. Is there anything I need to know or lookout for with this car? I hear they are either really reliable or trash and it's concerning me a bit. Thanks my dudes.

Asked about oil change intervals for my 3.5 Altima last thread. Someone said to change the oil every 6k miles instead of 7.5k like the manual says or every 12k miles like the oil jug says but didn't say why.

Royal Purple full synthetic in a vq35. How often should I change my oil?

Warrants are only good for the state issued in right? If i get a bench warrant for minor shit like not going to court for a ticket, as long as i dont get pulled over in that state im good right?

Lol no

Also once you cross state borders it becomes a federal crime

Each time I go to my local mechanic I give him my VIN number and he gets diagrams and all part numbers straight away specific to my car.
What program is he using? I would love to get it myself.
Pic related example screenshot I got off him

Why does Veeky Forums hate Nissans? I don't see any Nissans on the recommended cars sticky. Also advice on whether to lease a 2017 Maxima.

>inb4 newfag

>Why does Veeky Forums hate Nissans? I don't see any Nissans on the recommended cars sticky. Also advice on whether to lease a 2017 Maxima.

nvm actually found it. It's called FIAT ePER and can be accessed online here eper.fiatklubpolska.pl/ if you know polish

>there's a maximum number of simultaneous connections to the page
>you can click the OK button and boot someone else off a car diagnostic website from across the world

truly we live in the golden age of humanity

Yeah too much chrome. What are your thoughts on the CVT

What is the source of the leak?

Nissan cvts are fucking joke.

If it's a misdemeanor probably not, if it's a felony then yes they will find you.

Whenever you feel like it needs a change so long as you do it within 10 to 12 , if you're on synthetic.

This is a plastic radiator duct. It's cracked.

Anyone have a good way to mend it?
>inb4 duct tape

if its old as fuck and cracked because of heat cycling, you're never really going to fix it.

however, if its cracked due to damage, you could probably epoxy or zip tie it back together. pic related

>was updated less than half a year ago
>doesn't know it's for a budget of $5k
stop complaining

never too late to start
t. renewed interest in autos after 10 years of burnout

Okay, thanks; are those the most common problems?

Find me an Accord with all time AWD

those aren't problems
that's called maintenance
>only fix things when they're broken
are you a woman?

friend has one, doesn't do him wrong
>he also has enough money to take it to a shop

>either reliable or trash
this is a general ford problem, not model specific

The previous owner said he has to replace the radiator after something punctured it, so I'm guessing damage

Might try the drifter's stick, thanks

Ericthecarguy and our blessed savior Scotty Kilmer have some decent "this is the general idea of how to fix it", but most of the time you'll be reading forum posts, or terrible quality phone cam DYI fixes for your specific car. Start with your first problem, say replacing brakes and rotors. You'll need a socket set, wrenches, maybe a breaker bar and depending on the car, either a C clamp or one of those weird square socket things where you twist/push the piston back in (usually on euro cars). Collect tools are you perform jobs. That keeps your tool cost down and you'll learn how to "make due" with the tools you have if you don't want to buy that vehicle/manufacturer specific tool. but what mentioned, all those things are general maintenance that just come with the vehicle and over time. desu, replacing something like say an alternator is loosen a few bolts, undo the belt, take off, put new one on, put belt back on and tighten bolts. Don't over think it. Mustang, miata, mr2, 240sx would all be "decent" cars that you can drift on a budget.

>not using a block of wood and your sheer strength to keep caliper pistons in check
protip: use something to clamp off the brake line
so when u force piston back in
gross bullshit doesn't get cycled into the lines
also helps slow piston creep when caliper is off

I don't think it's a good idea to kink or pinch the rubber/braided steel part of the brake line. Similar to how you shouldn't 180 degree kink wires. If you're worried about water/burnt brake fluid going back up in the lines, you should bleed your calipers till you have fresh fluid. Whatever that got pushed up, will get pushed back down and replaced with fresh fluid. Also, if you're worried about piston creep from the weight of that little bit of brake fluid, you probably need to rebuild your calipers, they shouldn't slide that eaisly.

>2008 honda ridgeline rtx
>$8,500
>145,000 miles
>no accidents perfect record.
DO I JUMP ON IT DESU?!?!

Yes. Just do the timing belt when you get it

Its called a Tl.

Anyone have a list of know of a few basic head units that allow you to change the illumination color.

I know I'm pretty much forced to have a something that looks like a UFO in my dash but at the very least I should be able to change it to something that matches the gauge cluster lights.

Is there a feasible way I can change my own brake fluid by myself? How?

>lonelydrivers.bat
backyardmechanic.org/3-ways-to-bleed-brake-lines-by-yourself/
i know that feel br/o/

>implying anyone on Veeky Forums knows dick about head units
i'd ask /g/ first

I have no compulsions working with mechanical stuff but electrical stuff is way over my head

It's not exactly NECESSARY
>he doesn't know this is a common pro technique
>he doesn't know this is recommended by volvo
don't kink the hose agreed;
but using a 1-2" spring clamp on the hose will keep the fluid in the caliper
and will not damage the rubber brake line
and keep the grossness from contaminating and degrading your brake lines
source: ETCG

OH also this will prevent damage to ABS systems
dats why volvo recommends

same
i think it's b/c i lived around cattle fences
>hear a buzz
>instant pain
nobody can be a pro on every single thing either;
rather identify what you like/you good at and become "that guy"
but still soldering and playing with multimeters is pretty fun
and extremely useful as a skill

/g/ is worse than Veeky Forums in some respects. I found an option on crutch field to narrow the selection down to variable illumination controls anyways.

So I bought a 6-speed auto shift manual fiesta but it isn't a manual? what gives?

When talking about an R34 or something, is saying three four, or thirty four correct? I've heard both.

>auto shift manual
>wonders why it isn't a manual
You bought and automatic, son

The TL isn't just an Accord though, the drivetrain is enough to differentiate it. And don't even get me stared on the much nicer interior

> brand new $13K Ford

Lul that thing is gonna last a year maybe before it starts to fall apart.

>tfw addicted to driving my shitbox
>shitty 155hp 4banger gets like 28-30mpg
>have unironically used half a tank in one day
>takes like 45 CAD to fill up
>sometimes put like 20 bucks in every two days and occasionally one day

Pissing away money on gas, just like driving it around too much.

Should I lease the Acura TLX or a Nissan Maxima?

At least you get decent MPG. My shitbox gets around 14 mpg. I'll use a quarter tank just in an hour of driving.

Man idk how you guys do it, especially the guys that need premium gas. Like it is fucking insanely more expensive here, i am talking 87 regular and i complain. Some of these dudes are paying like 140+ a litre.

Why do some acura integras have a spoiler/wing?

depends on the coolant. dex-cool has a propensity to turn into liquid sludge even when running normally. Regular ethylene glycol coolant might be OK. Gas really just depends on how finicky the motor is. Oil should be fine.

Conner?

>lease
No.

Does anyone know the song that uses E31 images and videos? Kinda retro wave vibe. I found it here and can't remember the title...

I bought an Alpine ute-92bt this spring, it has some basic color changing options.

>not engaging
yeah the solenoid
>spinning to the point had to d/c the batt
check the wiring for the ign. swx to the starter (maybe a sticky relay or shorting to power somewhere.)

>what is he using
most shops use mitchell on demand or alldata. there are more varients. You can buy a external hard drive with all this crap off of alibaba or buy access for just one car off of the offical websites. The cracked versions seem to run to 2014 only. or you can spend time hunting down a torrent with the newest version (google is not much help since it gets marked quickly or the avaliable torrents are dead.) Got my copy of both off of irc a while back.

Go handle the crap with a lawyer rather than sweating it.

Can someone tell me where I can find a Silverado LSSV for sale on line in the lower 48. If not, where can I find the bumper, wheels and suspension parts to build a 2500 into one

N-no

What's a good cheapish Jack stand to buy?

What's all this I'm hearing about frosty being a girl now?

Is a 2001 CR-V EX with 115k miles and in good/decent condition worth $6k?

I bought a 2010 Hyundai i30cw and the key fob doesn't work. Changed the batteries, now the fob lights work but still doesn't open/close.
I'm guessing I need to reprogram it or something but i couldn't find a guide online that actually matches my car.
help?

how much does a tank of argon cost? I just want to weld intercooler piping

I'm having a problem with my brakes in my car. Whenever the car is not started I can build up pressure by pumping the pedal, but when I crank up the car, my pedal sinks in to the floor completely. Also, I can build up some pressure when it's idling, but it sinks into the floor almost immediately. I've checked my lines, drums, check valve, hoses, and I've bled the brakes. I see what looks like a bit of a leak on my brake booster, right under my master cylinder, but I'm not 100% sure. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Only if it has no cracked/torn boots, all regular maintenance, timing belt, spark plugs, valve adjustment, water pump etc, and the interior is clean. Odds are some of that stuff hasn't been done and whatever you think it would cost to have done, I'd take off from 6k.

spray around your break booster with some carb cleaner or ether and see if the engine speed increases, it would show you have a vacuum leak almost immediately. Does your engine act like you have a vacuum leak? Shitty idle, poor performance, etc?

Depends on where you live, I would phone up local welding supply stores and ask. I've been all over the western US and I've seen prices range from ~100$ for a 300CF tank and crazy high like ~300$ for a 125CF tank.

harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/3-ton-steel-jack-stands-61196.html
25$

my car doesn't want to turn over after a minor crash. (dodge charger 3.5 2007)
>be stopped on the highway waiting for cars on opposite lane to pass so i could take the left turn.
>see yaris in mirror. he's not stopping so i slam it. yaris enters opposite lane but still crashes into me. says to the police that he didn't take the opposite lane because of oncoming car.
seems like he steered into my rear left wheel because his wheel turned black. probably from rubber and not paint transfer because i couldn't see anything but minor scratches on the side of my plastic bumper

the starter gives off a single click when trying to turn over. even when we jump started it.
could the automatic transmission have been damaged from a hit to the drivetrain while at max rpm in first gear and would it result in the engine not turning over?
or could my differential be fucked after that? there's and abs sensor in the rear btw and he kept flashing ESP-BAS (electronic stability control)

sorry for no pics. the traffic was insane and i had the damaged side facing the road

I hadn't thought of that before, I've sprayed the hoses, and everything, but never the brake booster. I'll give it a go. Yeah, I've had idle problems with the car for awhile now, but I've never really been able to find the source. However, I don't think they're related. My brakes were working way before my idle problems. Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what happens.

so my dipstick reads right in the middle of L and F

should I fill it up to F (0.4 quart more than it has now) or is it fine?

It's fine. Better to have low oil than too much

>Now when I try to start it, it wont engage the flywheel but still spins, Safe to say its the Solenoid?

If the starter spins the solenoid is doing its job making contact (or the starter couldn't spin) but when it stuck the contacts were probably burnt and causing the sticking. Now the starter spinning without turning the engine over suggests the Bendix is fucked allowing the starter motor to spin without turning the flywheel.

I'd replace the starter and solenoid as an assembly. Good time for a fresh positive cable and inspect or replace the engine ground too.

Much love for old Fords. I've had several and worked on many more.

They'd slow someone down who didn't have tools but it's easy to snap the brake lever or just pull the pivot bolt. If you live innahood more locks are better so why not?

>photoshopped image

>FWD shitbox
>two tires bald, wear indicator flush, rear still have like 10mm deep thread
>get two new tires
>get told the new ones should go in the back
dafuq?
I thought the newer ones should go in the front because that's the heaviest part with the power?

>car barfed coolant everywhere
>not the first time its happened
>upper radiator hose is fine (I replaced this one the first time)
>couldn't reach lower rad hose
>filled coolant to max and limped it home
>was on the L of NORMAL and just before red when I finally got home

How much irreparable damage did I do? It never actually hit the red but it came pretty damn close.

Also I tried to put the heat on full blast and it just blew cold, why is that?

>subaru wrx hatchback
>20k
>59.5k miles
Should I go for it? Clean title and carfax says it's clean