Dangerous driving terms

New to driving. What are these terms that people always use and how to avoid them?
Overcorrecting
Fail to negotiate a turn
Hydroplane

I'm still new to driving so a lot of the google results don't come up with helpful terms that don't require me to search up a lot of other things. Are there any other dangerous driving terms out there that I should be aware of?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=97BQYXdJ8mg
youtube.com/watch?v=zoICf55jED8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Overcorrecting is when you lose control of the car and by correcting too much you may spin out. A way to avoid this especially at high speeds is to let off the gas and slowly brake.
Failing to negotiate a turn is when you over estimate the entry speed into a corner, causing potential oversteer or understeer.
Hydroplaning is when you are driving on a water covered road. Drive slowly.
Always check your mirrors, always signal, be confident and alert.

>not oversteering every corner and then punching the throttle for maximum powerslide
fucking weak

>Implying op has access to a rwd driftbox for maximum slides
He's just a beginner

this

There use to be an interesection at my old highschool we'd hoon on around 3am. It was always hilarious to see our skids the morning after. Some retard hit the curb and took his rim into autoshop and we hung it on the wall.

>Some retard hit the curb and took his rim into autoshop and we hung it on the wall.
nice.
we had a dirt lot behind our school that became a ghetto-ass short course track and some dude blew his c-clip out and his axle fucking fell out when he landed. good times.
>at least it gave him an excuse to put in a 14 bolt

What's oversteer and understeer? I guess it's just when you're already going right and you keep turning more right?
Doesn't that make understeering just going straight?

thank u for no bully

understeer
>not steering enough into the turn, generally ends in guard rail meeting grille
oversteer
>steering too much into a turn, generally ending in spinning out

>let off the gas and slowly brake.
*spins out behind you*

this is incredibly misleading

understeer is when you try to turn but the car has no grip on the front wheels and keeps going straight

oversteer is when you are turning the car but the car has no grip on the rear wheels and turns more than you want it too (unless you did it on purpose)

>aw11spinning.gif

>Overcorrecting
turned the wheel too far in response to an avoidable stimuli such as loss of traction or driving off the road
usually results in a spin
>Fail to negotiate a turn
self explanatory, can happen due to understeer or oversteer
>Hydroplane
wet conditions created standing water on road surface which the vehicle travels on (or hydroplanes) instead of the road surface
think snowmobile on a lake
youtube.com/watch?v=97BQYXdJ8mg
but the lake is less than an inch deep
and when you sink you regain traction
fun fact: motorcycles despite their light weight are less likely to hydroplane
bonus explanation: understeer vs oversteer
youtube.com/watch?v=zoICf55jED8

>A way to avoid this especially at high speeds is to let off the gas and slowly brake.

I think overcorrection is too broad of a term for a simple catch-all fix like that. Different flavors of traction loss require different methods of correction to maintain control, no one method works for everything.

>Overcorrecting is when you lose control of the car and by correcting too much you may spin out. A way to avoid this especially at high speeds is to let off the gas and slowly brake.
Correct. someone post the tripfag webm so OP knows what shit driving looks like
>Failing to negotiate a turn is when you over estimate the entry speed into a corner, causing potential oversteer or understeer.
Failing to negotiate a turn is exactly that, you didnt make it around the corner. Could also be that you were a total beginner retard and turned the wheel to hard at low speeds and ended up on the pavement, it could be that you didnt even see the corner (never underestimate stupidity) and just carried on straight into a wall
>Hydroplaning is when you are driving on a water covered road. Drive slowly.
Hydroplaning is when you lose control due to road water and "hydro plane" across it. Driving on a water covered road is called driving on a water covered road.

>dat snowmobile
holy shit

>Overcorrecting
Correcting is when you take action when the car is out of control, like turning the wheel or coming off the throttle

Overcorrection is where you correct too much or too suddenly, i.e. too much steering input or brake hard, and it causes the car to become even more out of control.

>Fail to negotiate a turn
When you start at turn but don't finish it. Usually it's coming in too fast and running wide or braking suddenly mid-turn and the back end comes around but it could be simpler shit.

>Hydroplane
When you drive through standing water and the tyres become overwhelmed by all the water and lose contact with the tarmac.

>implying e30, e36, e46 aren't literally cheaper than a 3k civic

>implying an E30 318, E36 316i or E46 316i Compact is worth owning

>'94 325 for 700,
>'97 735 for 800
>'98 528 for sub 1k
>'02 530 for 1.3k
>'03 facelift shadowline 320 for 1.9k
>'99 323 mpack for 2k
>'01 m pack II shadowline for 2.5k
>'98 740 for 2.5k
etc

CoG also plays a role. Look at some of the non-steering audi landbarges with the entire engine in front of the front axle, understeer for days my senpai

>Doesn't that make understeering just going straight?
Yes, at the most extreme examaple, that's exactly what happens. You turn, the front wheels lose traction, and the car skids outwards in the turn, unable to steer.

Isn't that drifting?

drifting is more of controlled oversteer. typically the back wheels won't be able to spin at different speeds (hence your differential) forcing the ass end of the car up to the outside of the turn, and if you can drive, you can keep the whole affair pointed straight (relative to the curve) and drift.
if you can't, you spin out, generally speaking.

Only if your last name is Fujiwara

Oversteer is how a drift is initiated. The back end slides out and the car pivots about the front wheels as it proceeds through the turn.

Understeer is usually proceeded by crashing head-first into a wall or tree. Once you lose traction on your steering tires, there are only two ways out of it: Stomp the throttle and force the car to oversteer or steer straight and brake very firmly and carefully until the car is back under your control.

effectively a tire only has a certain amount of grip it can apply to the road. Everything you do takes away a fraction of that grip. Braking and steering at the same time, accelerating while turning, will force the tire over its limit of grip and the car will slide. The biggest mistake I see on the road is braking and turning at the same time, especially people who ride their brakes through a turn -- this not only cooks your pads uselessly but it increases the vehicles effective turning radius and makes it more unstable in the corner. Coasting through turns at maximum safe velocity is the way to do it, and if you feel the car is not turning hard enough, a little throttle will help both RWD and FWD cars stick to the road.

Stomping the throttle will create more understeer, not kick the tail out.

What you do is you come off the throttle smoothly and turn in tighter