/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

Casper's Last Bottle Edition

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting games/shooting type games).

Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Dangun Feveron M2 port
Somewhere on PSN

Bullet Soul
store.steampowered.com/app/544580/

Ghost Blade HD
store.steampowered.com/app/577910/

Zangeki Warp
store.steampowered.com/app/564040/

Caladrius Blaze
store.steampowered.com/app/386770/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

Danmaku Unlimited 3
store.steampowered.com/app/450950/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:
Pawarumi
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=812914421

Graze Counter
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899022724

Ketsui M2 port
gematsu.com/2017/04/m2-announces-ketsui-m2-shottriggers-release-feveron-school

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for MAME is unacceptable for serious play. The chinks agree.

There should be more games like Revolver360. The camera movement mechanic in this game was revolutionary. Was just too frantic for my taste.

i want to fuck some touhous

which touhous wud you like to fugg?

Reimu my favorite, then Reisen.

Such a normie taste.

>Last
Is Casper gonna die or something?

Doesnt seem like anyone cares about this game at all. Is it bad?

No, I think it's one of the best shmups on steam. It's just very unique and plays very differently from your usual shmup, which is probably why nobody plays it.

The thing I dislike about the game is just that it is so frantic and has a shield system.
Similar like Astebreed, which is also very well done, but just too chaotic.
Another thing I dislike is also that it partly plays like a rail shooter. It's very much inspired by REZ I think, which is not really my type of game.

Still, a very unique and interesting game though, with very cool art style and music too.

How should you respond to someone who turns on a game for the first time, doesn't check what the button assignment is, starts first stage and launches a bomb with the first button they press and then gets mad at the game.

Should shmups have to follow a rigid button layout for the base buttons (shoot, bomb) even if they have 4+ buttons or is this on the player?

You call them a fucking retard for not reading info thats clearly spelled out for them as soon as they begin the game, what else?

you should tell them to go back to special ed because they're clearly a fucking retard

you congratulate them for passing the test, they've tested negative and can lead a healthy happy normal life.

Reminds me of this one Deathsmiles LP video that I took a peek at once.

>She chooses a character
>Leaves tutorial on "Yes"
>"Tutorial, press the A button to fire, yeah yeah yeah"
>Mashes start immediately and skips the tutorial
>heads into the first level
>about 3 seconds in, enemy spawns from the left
>"AAAAH WHAT HOW DO I SHOOT LEFT"
>dies

>she
No wonder

Do you guys know the definition of hell?

best cave tlb

So I heard /2hug/ died and ended up here

>ended up here

There has always been a small 2hu base here (much to the chagrin of some of the other members)

On one side it's dirty secondaries and on another it's plain old doesn't-belong-here, huh?
Not like we have a choice now

I don't mind as long as they focus on discussing the games, we could use the activity anyway.

Oh they discussed games alright just not the shmups.

I like Koakuma's game.

Except for Sakuya's last spell card. And Royal Flare now that I think about it. Scarlet Netherworld is also difficult for me...

The only game Koakuma has is playing fetch for Patchouli.

This is depresing

Actually! Koakuma is the only character in EoSD that hasn't appeared in a game since. Therefore, EoSD is moreso Koakuma's game than anyone else's! She's exclusive to it!

Please don't give undue praise to the pet

Speaking of which, do we have a full release date for 2hu16?

pc port when?

Senko no ronde hype!

did the poohoo general really die?

The one outside of /jp/ yeah. Probably because it was outside of /jp/ and everyone who wanted to focus talk on the games/characters was inside /jp/

Actually really like how my game looks so far...
Too bad I can't think of a single gameplay design without turning it into a clone.
If only I was an idea guy, then I actually would be able to produce something for a change.

sounds like someone got served by an AI

AI does that.

>If only I was an idea guy
Man, I hate this feeling, either you're someone that can do something but has no ideas, or you're someone that has ideas but can't do anything.

It's always been like this for me. I also always could draw manga well, but never had the ideas to come up with an own story.

>either you're someone that can do something but has no ideas
it's very common

Koakuma deserves all the praise. Fuck Daiyousei for running off and getting in another game behind her back.

I think my problem is just that I try to steal too often from one and the same games.
That's also why CCWI still works I think. Because it doesn't steal too much from any game, but rather steals from all kind of games.
>main scoring system from Ketsui
>lock-on from Soukyugurentai
>hyper/break mode from DOJ
>break rate and bullet cancel from Mushihimesame I think

It just steals from all kinds of games, that's why it still comes across as original.

let's remake it before this thread gets further infected

Can anyone explain to me how the scoring in Guwange works?
Especially the spirit mechanic. I think it is something I actually want to have in my game.

I wouldn't mind if they post here. At least this general is not dying then.

Don't mind me, just taking out the trash.

I think Guwange is actually Caves best game. I really like the style of this game.

guwange is shit dumbass

It really isn't. It's just a bit weird to play with the spirit.

What is my score here? I made it past the castle boss for the time.

Also, is the spirit actually doing any damage or something when you are not controlling it but it is still sitting on the enemy?

Man, the mechanics of Guwange are really weird and complicated.

it's a crap game. almost as bad as touhou really

Hey /shmupg/, I released a demo for a shmup I've been working on. If any of you remember that one shmup with all the stolen shit, it's the sequel to that

Check it out at sinoc.itch.io/shmoop2
I'd love to get some opinions from expert players.

For a cave game is actually pretty good. Just very unique.

Well I'm not an expert player but it looks, sounds and plays pretty great imo.

You do it.

Feveron in a few minutes
twitch tv/draconicimpulse

Things which suck so far:
>can't use analogue stick for option menus
>have to press a button instead of direction to change an option (who the hell does this?)
>tutorial only for keyboard
>can't skip intro sequence
>randomised power-ups (afaik)
>screen clamping is horrible (I can move almost out of the screen with my hitbox and just sit at the bottom barely having to dodge)
>these enemies with the yellow heads are just OP and annoying (3 of them appear shortly after the start and shoot lasers almost immediately, they also appear on the mid-boss)
>the mid-boss doesn't have a timer afaik, which means you can milk him for hours
>the playershots come out of your hitbox instead of a gun barrel it seems and look not really good
>having low firepower is boring after dying
>these turrets on the top on the ceiling shortly after you enter this thing after the mid-boss are just unfair
>this "burst" thing seemed useless to me
>no way to remap buttons

Further i haven't played yet.

Not him but unless you mean a different weapon (if it has them) then the shot looks like it is coming out of the lower mounted guns, pic related

twitch tv draconicimpulse

Draco just went live with Dangun Feveron~
Dance on!

May be, but it doesn't look good, especially also because there is no muzzle flash.

Also, the level is way too long and difficult for a Stage 1. Especially the endboss is just pure bullshit and full of instant deaths for a first stage.

Also, another thing is that the multiplier timer is not visible enough hidden there in its small corner.

And I also noticed that there is screen tearing.

/2hug/ is up again

You're good at making fun boss fights but the stages need a lot of work. Unless I am playing it wrong, this game just forces you into a defensive playstyle because a lot of the enemies shoot too quickly and have too much HP for quick killing. Half the time it's better to not bother killing enemies at all for survival, which is only compounded by the lack of aimed bullets. I can just sit at the bottom of the screen and use burst every now and then. The guns feel weak, both damage wise and animations. Randomized power ups is a stupid decision, and catching them is too hard. In general there are too many annoying enemies that while challenging aren't very fun to kill. The bullet patterns are quite uninspired too.

I come to shmup general for the first time a year and there seriously isn't a word about the Blazing Star re-release? First time Blazing Star appears on a non-phone platform since the Neo Geo? With leader boards, wide display mode (displays visuals that were cropped out from the original), and rapid-shot support?

I suppose I'll go back to taking on the Japs in the leaderboards by myself.

>for switch
Who the hell plays this shit?

Also, shmupg is dead. Nobody posts here anymore.

T-the stream has turned into Puyo Tetris

still fun though

With Switch's "arcade game" attachment rate and at the rate it's selling in Japan, by the end of this year ever last remaining shmup developer in Japan will be working on switch. Neo geo ports have already hit 200k+ sales on Switch ($8 a pop). Bomberman has hit 500k+ sales. Zelda aside, Switch owners (particularly in JP) are flocking to pick-up and play games.

Never ever

Forgot about Puyo Tetris.

Also..M2 is about to make some major $$$ by bringing Secret of Mana to switch. Assuming that succeeds, expect them to pivot their resources over to it.

>switch
lol is this a meme or something?

>by the end of this year ever last remaining shmup developer in Japan will be working on switch
so...CAVE? the list could go on...

Sorry about the delay, real life happened
It's nice to get some feedback from people who actualy play shmups rather than the sort of shmucks that hang around /agdg/.
Thanks user!
Noted. I didn't even think about a couple of those points, like the clamping. I've goten some other complaints about the laser enemies and I'll be toning them down.

It's going to have a relatively low number of stages (to keep the art requirements down, bassicly) so I wanted to keep them decently lengthy. Witch end boss do you mean though? There's a secret one if you get over 50k points

If you use bombs frequently and wrack up combos to get more bombs quicker you can go pretty offensively. The powerups are on a hidden coutnter, but the type of powerup it drops when the counter rolls over is random between the two, but you can change it to your current shot type by bursting on it.

People don't understand Blazing Star is one of the greatest shmups ever made. Up there with Ikaruga:

At the age of 16 I went on my very first date. I was thrilled. He played football and was popular. We ate, saw a movie, and drove around our rural area for a little while. We went to some of his family's property and walked around looking at horses. My first date, which seemed like a total dream, soon turned into a nightmare when he forcibly raped me in a barn.

I didn’t think a lot about the possibility of being pregnant because I had a distorted view that because it was rape, then it was somehow less likely I’d become pregnant. It wasn’t until I started having symptoms that I began to realize I might be pregnant. I drove to a different town by myself to buy a pregnancy test kit, doing the test in the gas station bathroom so no one in my town would ever know. I felt extremely scared and angry there all alone in the gas station restroom. I was angry at God, asking “How could you allow me to raped?”

Scared out of my mind of facing ridicule, having to address the rumors the rapist was already spreading, already overwhelmed from my reputation being slandered, I drove to an abortion clinic that same day. The abortion clinic was cold and sterile. There were others in the waiting room, but no one would look at each other or acknowledge each other’s presence in any way. There was no privacy speaking to the receptionist, telling her why I was there. She said they could see me, but I’d have to make an appointment to come back to get the procedure done the next day. I told her I couldn’t skip school another day, so she said they would take me right away.

There was no waiting and no questions. All they cared about was that I had the money to pay. They didn't even care that I was by myself. It was the absolute worst experience of my life -- even worse than the rape.

>The powerups are on a hidden coutnter, but the type of powerup it drops when the counter rolls over is random between the two
Yeah that's what I meant, the hidden counter is fine even though confusing. Is it completely random or some kind of bag randomizer? Being able to change it with burst is good but sometimes if I want to use the laser it refuses to drop.

some keys for an online coop shmup on steam

QNB74-TKPZX-9RN2[seven]
CDN[en]E-RQ7L[arr]-ZRX9[eh]
66H[three]H-[pee]N5HC-Q8BI[em]

> I want to use the laser it refuses to drop.
I was thinking about having bursting on your current shot type making it split into the two others once homing is in, that should solve that.

Forgot to mention, the first miniboss's spawns don't give points so there's no point to farming him.

Your game still makes windows completely lock up on my machine user.

When is the last time you tried it? I haven't gotten a report about that in.. like months.

It locks your entire system up and CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't work? What specs do you have again?

Could just make bursting bounce the power ups back and cycle between the shot types. Why are they random to begin with? Because you want the player to think if they want to reset the multiplier by bursting to change weapon?

Advertising is forbidden on Veeky Forums

A few weeks ago, when you showed up in one of the /v/ gamedev threads. It seems fine now though, but I reinstalled a bunch of drivers and such a couple days ago for an unrelated problem, so that might've actually been my issue.

Because going spread>laser>homing(soon™) and back again seemed like it would make it hard to get what you wanted off the bat. I'll play around with it though; I guess I just didn't think about how other games did it since it isn't an issue most of the time.

That doesn't count

t. Hirohito

I've fixed a few bugs in the last few weeks, so it might have been that. We'll never know.

Well, come join our game then. We're at 2 players and at least 1 more is on the way.

It's over.

Wound up playing more PPT than Dangun. I'll try to fix that tomorrow.

is this a lore of blazing star?

Looks really fucking rad so far, good job. I haven't really looked to see what others have said, but here's a couple of things I've noticed so far:
The enemies that appear and shoot a yellow/orange laser across two thirds of the screen have little to no indication before the laser appears and instantly becomes active, so it's easy to die seemingly out of nowhere because you happened to be standing in front of them when they appear.
At the beginning of the level, when you're completely underpowered, there quite a few enemies with a lot of HP that you can't kill more than one of before they quickly attempt to leave the screen. I feel like this is fairly annoying for both survival and scoring, because either you ignore killing ships for points or you die in a head-on collision trying to take a second one out with your pea shooter.
Very related to the last two points, my deaths are almost always the result of either slamming into an enemy, or sometimes getting hit by a laser. I don't die often to the actual bullets, which makes the burst technique fairly useless to me.
In the corridor section, you're able to fly through the level geometry during post-death invincibility, which surprised me, but isn't actually that big of a deal.
The biggest issue I can see is the randomized powerups, which are complete hell from a scoring standpoint. Unless each type of weapon is so homogenized that it doesn't matter which you use, putting score runs at the mercy of randomly getting the right powerups is terrible. The idea you mentioned here is also pretty bad in my opinion, because then you can either choose to neuter your multiplier (and thus your score) and get the drop you want, or restart the run and hope you don't have to do so next time. If I had to suggest a fix, I'd say having the drops rotate which type of powerup they provide, similar to what Raiden does, would work pretty well.

Thanks user. The idea was that players would be aggressive with the bombs early game to build a good base for the multiplier, but it seems like that isn't really being done so I'll retool the enemies a bit to be squishier. I know about the laser guys too, I figured a 22 frame window would've been big enough to react, but I guess not (fighting games have lead me astray).

I think I'll add both the rotating powerups and the burst changing, so if a player didn't care about score they could force themselves to power. It'd probably be best to have it always start on spread and cycle though, to minimize rng.

I can't judge it fairly because that run was super nuts, but the game seems a little easy when you have the intended amount of firepower. It's also seemed like there was long amounts of downtime between waves, but we might've just been shooting them down prompto with infinity fire power.

People call my game a lot of things but easy isn't one of them.

Ya, that bug gave us super OP mode. It was kinda fun actually.

I'm going to play another game if anybody would like to join.

LA9DR-EC6BI-35FE[ex]
BZN[4+1]Q-L6ALQ-QVIK[six]
RR[L?NOP]TK-A[3+2]Y52-7IM[nine]T
M3L52-T9XP[dee]-[1*2]Z2Q[nine]

Graphic looks like ass

Sounds like you're designing the game too rigidly around your own playstyle desu, instead of trying out different approaches and making sure they feel fun. Aggressive bomb use should be the default playstyle because it's something that would form as a way to optimize your playstyle after a lot of repetition, but you have to make sure that getting to that point feels fun too and right now the ship just feels really weak by itself.

does it have a single player campaign or is it entirely multiplayer focused?

I feel angry and I'm not even the one playing.

Were you the player here, or was it someone else? My condolences, if that was you.

better than unity shmups at least

No problem. Thinking about it now, I feel like using bombs in that manner could actually work really well, but there needs to be some concrete indication that your bombs are a resource that are designed to be expended instead of hoarded, kind of like Battle Garegga. The way it is now, there's no indication when you regain bombs, and as such I didn't even realized you could for a while.
Also, just out of curiosity, does this image happen to hold any significance to you?