Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm (embed)
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo: pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

The Long Road demo:
gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740

/rpgmg/ Discord:
discord.gg/CPvWzJK

Chain Game: Chapter 2
dropbox.com/s/0pn5b7e29gdrz1y/CollabProj-2.zip?dl=0
Chapter 3 in progress | Gemini

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/sars41z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rip thread
rip general
everyone go home

ok

I feel like there's a few things Orihs could be. I'll just list off my thoughts.

Maybe she's some sort of anti-shadowfey organism, or maybe she herself is a shadowfey and is an odd evolution of it. The Bastion guys seemed to really want to capture her after all.

I kind of had a feeling that maybe she was able to talk to the orcs in the prologue? Might just be me, but she did start with her own language.

Orihs is definitely not the dead sister, but does that mean she's out there somewhere?

I haven't played Chapter 2 yet so maybe some of this stuff's already established.

Show me your menus, rpgmg.

shit, meant to post for

How is Seraphic Blue? I downloaded it ages ago but never got around to trying it. I don't even remember what it's about, but the menus look pretty good.

You guys got any dank memes in this thread?

In return, I'll remind you that Legend of Mysteria and Labyronia RPGs 1 and 2 exist, and ANY of your dreams can come true if you put your work in.

They conned me out of like $2 during a sale, so you can con anyone out of $2 during a sale if your game looks halfway fucking presentable and you manage to get it on Steam!

r8 my first attempt at mapping. Pretty bare bones so far, most of the RTP assets are used as placeholders and I plan to extend a balcony on the upper left so ignore that. Rip me apart bois

Now, I don't know what you're trying to do for this game wise, so I'm only going to bitch based on appearances.

I'm sorry if I am under informed, but, here we go!

Toilet looks like it opens toward the wall.

Phone and calendar should be lower on the wall, perhaps?

Why is there a love seat in the bedroom/study?

Why is the armoire/cabinet opening toward the bed so you can't get into it?

Both couches in the TV room should be further 'down' so the side couch gets a good angle view of the TV and so the other couch is braced against a wall.

Only one chair in the kitchen despite the fact that the apartment owner has enough couches that implies that he or she regularly entertains.

Is working with smaller numbers (with regards to stats, damage, etc) better to start with when you're just starting to experiment?

I think it is
but you'll have to screw with stat formulas to make that not shitty

True, but screwing with stat formulas is something I'll need to do eventually to get good.

The map looks too small for how many rooms it has, though if it's an apartment, maybe you want it to seem a bit cramped. I'm used to RPG houses missing important things like bathrooms and separate bedrooms, too, so maybe that's just me.

It looks good otherwise, though. There's enough around that it looks like a place someone could live, but not so much that it looks cluttered and overdone. It's easy to go too far one way or the other when placing objects.

The English is kind of obviously fantranslated from nipponese. Aside from that, too early to say yet.

is this one of those defend your castle games?

and even if not.. i kind of want to make one now

That's a tiny-ass dining table.

Nah, just a little RPG I'm working on

For a person eating alone, it makes sense.

I think it's a little anemic for a guy who has two couches in his TV room, which is a lot if you're not having visitors on the regular.

Gemini was asking about the jittery event sprites in the collab. Pretty sure thats the zoom plug in. Setting it to normal viewing should fix it.

strawpoll.com/sars41z

what's a collag?

Oh shit, meant collab

If you meant the collab. Then yes, I care because I will eventually be a part of it. You are all in for a treat.

Change my wot vote to a yes

>be me at 1am
>fully motivated to work on project.
>have to get up in the morning
>won't have time to myself until Monday night.
Use my energy rpgmg.

>/rpgmg/ plays hot potato with it.

This will be the player apartment. Game wise this will serve as the central hub as they travel dungeons through their laptop while they re-energize in the real world.

I feel like I've added more clutter this time around, tried going for more open space by taking down the wall.

Thanks for the critique, I fixed it up a little. Still not sure as to what to use the bottom left for. Apartment map attempt 2.

Bump.

Sdump

2*a.atk - b.def
Simple formula are the best.

Looks nice.

I think taking out the wall was a nice touch. Makes it feel more real.

How do you feel about teleport mazes?
How do you feel about teleport mazes that teleport the player without informing him that he is being teleported around?

I WILL END YOU.

Well, unless there's no ability to reference (based on the fact that your location has changed), the player will realize he or she is in a teleport maze.

The player has a reduced vision because it is dark and the teleporters take him to areas with identical surroundings

However, there is a bit of lag right now so savvy players might realize what is going on. Not sure about how to hide it. I don't want the game to feel laggy and the player is being teleported every 8-12 steps if he doesn't know where he is going.

How would you guys go about naming your games?

Do you name it before you start, do you finish it before naming it, or do you have another method?

Is there a purpose for this?

Name before you start.

Change once it's done.

Does anybody know how to modify how the camera works in MV? Basically I want the camera to center on the direction the player is moving rather than the player. Something like pic related.

I thought it would be flavourful for a "dungeon" that is basically meant to be just a vault that contains "infinite treasure". Plus also "infinite hallway" would be cheaper to produce than an actual dungeon.

And maybe fun.

Just think of how it plays for a player, though. Is this fun?

Does it make me want to rip my dick off?

Why is this so cute?

I know it's a dragon, but it looks like a big dog.

Dogs are cute, especially when they protect our pups.

monsters in trails in the sky are incredibly curvy and rounded. Half the time this makes them cute, the other half it makes them gross.

It's so weird that I almost know for sure that I won't ever release my game for public. Or I don't know... It just feels like this project is just a fun little hobby and I don't care if nobody plays it but myself.

There is at least one person who has shot himself in the testicle with a gun because he could.

You making a game and then never sharing/selling it is not the weirdest thing that has happened today, let alone this minute.

How's your battle system? Does it have something special? Is it challenging? Why?

It hasn't been made yet because I just started today.

Almost certainly not, though I may add some conditions.

It probably won't be, though my objective is to make first function and then not 'so boring I want to die' battles.

Because I don't want to be a hack like half of the $5 RPG maker games on steam I bought on sale.

You can release it just for the sake of it and see what happens. Who knows, maybe your game will become the next cult-classic.

Personally, I'm really interested in discovering and playing games in which the dev did everything they wanted to do, without trying to appeal to the audience, even if the games in question are not always good.

No.

You literally can't be worse than Storm of Spears RPG, which if it didn't use just stock graphics, sounds, etc, it might as well have because goddamn is it bog standard.

Yes, it's challenging.

You have four party members and each one of them has 10 unique skills which have psynergy with each other.

Opponents are divided in sizes, which affects their stats. Big enemies have less agility but greater overall stats, while small enemies are agile and evasive but have lesser overall stats. Attack order is VERY important in the game, so small bosses can be quite dangerous if you don't buff your own agility to be able to attack them first.

You can add special effects to your skills by equipping Earrings. For example, if the spell Water Sphere can only wet opponents of small and medium size, by equipping the Wet Earring it will now be able to wet huge opponents.

Every debuff has unique effects and there is equipment that actually makes them benefitial depending on the situation. For example, being wet makes you twice as vulnerable to Lightning and lowers your accuracy and evasion, but if you equip the Swimmer's Cap you'll actually RECEIVE a buff to accuracy and evasion.

Bosses hit really hard, so you should always debuff them and take advantage of their weaknesses. You can debuff bosses just like any other monster, but the effects last for less time and you have a lower chance of applying them unless you debuff their resistances and / or boost your own stats.

Spam the Attack command, and you're pretty much guaranteed to lose.

tl;dr If you like challenges, you'll enjoy it. I'm putting a heavy focus on gameplay and one day I'm going to prove to /v/ that turn based RPGs can have both fun and difficult battles

I'm bored.

I think I know the feeling. I mean, in my case it's partly because the thought of others seeing my work makes me nervous (especially if I give in to the temptation to make it lewd), but I get the "I don't care if anyone plays my game" part too. When try to make a game, I do it for myself, not because I want to get popular.

Of course, that would change if I wanted to make money. Which I might try sometime. Money is nice.

I'm with too, though: I like finding small, obscure works that were made solely because the creator just wanted to make them. I've found that games have a certain charm when their creators clearly put their heart into it, whether or not they're actually good. So I'd encourage you to consider releasing it anyway, even if that makes me a hypocrite.

So I'm full retard on JavaScript or programming languages in general. Can you pick up JavaScript just for RPG Maker and is the language universal like I can start fresh on some basic stuff or is it different for MV? Like commands and stuff?

I haven't really tried scripting with MV, but you'd probably need to learn both - the basics of JavaScript and how to use it specifically with MV. MV's code should work like anything else written in JavaScript, but a lot of the code will be calling commands and functions already defined elsewhere. And there's a lot of it to look through.

At least, I think that's how it works. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, from someone that barely knows programming to someone that doesn't at all. But if you want to learn scripting for MV, start with standard JavaScript, then move on to experimenting with MV itself. Try making small changes at first and take your time to figure out how it works, since that seems like the hard part. If there are any tutorials out there, those would probably help, but I don't know any to recommend.

learning how to script for rpg maker mv will mean learning about how rpg maker mv built itself.

like give an example of what you're interested in writing, and i could probably explain a bit about what you'd need to learn about

Thanks for clearing that, it does make some sense what you explained there. I just gotta start looking for some basic guides.
Well I'm trying to revamp the whole resource system (HP, MP, TP) and some of the parameters. Also I would like to change the battle system because I hate the original sideview one and I don't just want to pick up the same plugins everyone else is using.

THREAD SAVING TECHNIQUE!!!

BUMP OF THE GODS!

That formula is garbage.
(4*a.atk + 0.4*a.luk) - (2*b.def + 0.8*b.luk) is god.

>a frail old man can punch through diamond if he's lucky enough

MY ULTIMATE IS READY!

If you want to make something happen at the start of the game, setting a common event to auto-run and then erasing itself at its conclusion would do it, right?

>using luck in the damage calculation
>not in only the crit rate formula

If that map is only used once, that will work. Otherwise you need a switch.

That's good, because I'm a lazy fucker and the map isn't even going to last past that event and the second party member running up to the PC and being like 'gotta go, bitch!'

Until this point, I have not even thought about common events or switches.

I have so much to learn.

If I must live, so must you

How in the world do you make something happen when you start your game?

I have a feeling making the game literally just fade in on the character proves I am the worst noob in existence.

If you realize that looks bad and want to change it, you're already better than some out there.

I know there's a Start Transparent option in MV under Database -> System, and I'm pretty sure older versions had one too. It's handy for setting up opening cutscenes or whatever else you want to happen at the start of the game. Just create an event that runs automatically in the first map, and remember to make the party visible again (Event Commands 2 -> Character -> Change Transparency, I think) before the player gains control (and fade the screen to black first so they don't appear out of nowhere).

anyone have the scrip of GubiD tactical battle system?

bump

The traditional way is to just have an empty map, and have the player's character graphic invisible.

Therefore, when you start the game, the screen is completely blank.

Then you can do whatever you want.

Well, I thought it would be fun to figure out what is happening. The issue is that the player might quit before he figures it out, so it would depend on the given cues.

How about this: the floor of the room is littered with gold coins and items. The teleporters are positioned in a way that you have to avoid all treasures in order to escape the infinite loops.

The trope is well-known enough that the player will figure it out after a while, right?

bump

If there's some logic like that to a teleporter maze, I think that would make it more fun to play through. Puzzles are interesting; random trial-and-error challenges are tedious and annoying. Every teleporter maze I've seen before has been the latter.

How can I make it so that flying enemies are harder to hit with swords but bows have better chance to hit them?

How does this armor system lads?
Basically I'm thinking of having different layers of defense. Cheaper armor, say a gambeson, provides only one layer of defense, while more expensive armor might have an additional one or two like maille or plate.
So the thing is that protection is based on dice roll between the armor and attack value. If the attack value overtakes the armor value there's another roll towards the second layer of defence, if attack beats that the attack penetrates. However if the armor value beats the attack value the attack is deflected and the defender takes no damage.
There'll be other values like armor piercing and stuff like that but the gist is to have a pretty low HP battle system. Around the 10ish to 40ish range maybe.

seems interesting. a couple things maybe worth noting,

it's very easy for consecutive rolls to make a probability much lower than you might think. Like, a 90%, 80% and 70% roll would hit only 50% of the time.

If you want these layers to have a significance, then you should make sure to tell the player about their existence somehow. Like showing text "The second layer of armor blocked the attack with a 6 vs 4 roll!" or whatever. Otherwise, you can simplify things for yourself by just giving that armor set a single value to be judged against incoming attacks.

Eg, no reason to do two 50% rolls, when you can just give the situation a 25% chance, because that's what it practically is.

I see what you're saying. I think that might make it more simple having a single armor value.
I'm using Quasi Params so I can have as many custom params as I want and I was going to use that to help with the formula.
The main thing is that armor is very, very important. Having top of the line armor is a must since you have low HP.
There's also shields which have a % of blocking damage from physical attacks.
I'll play around with it some more.

It's hard to comment without actual testing, I think. I worry the extra complexity would make it harder to balance, and make the player less likely to know or care how the math works. Maybe that's just because I have little experience balancing combat, though.

Is light armor meant to be a viable option for fast characters or something, or is it just what you use while you're too poor to afford proper metal?

Bump.

>How do you feel about teleport mazes?

Thank you both for your wisdom.

What's your excuse for not working on your game this time?

I've been working on it on and off.

I can safely say that I've created my first 'game start that isn't just dropping into a room with only one wide path way to escape to trigger an event'.

bump

Semester's wrapping up. I'll get back to it full-time after the 10th.

>parameters
It's easy to add new variables to act as new parameters for an actor, but the hard part is getting the rest of the game to recognize those variables.

If you're going to be using standard menus, you need to learn how "scenes" are built, because RM takes care of a lot of formatting things for you.

The general structure is "Scenes contain Sprites and Windows". So in pic related, there are four visible Windows that are added to the Scene_Equip.

Window_Help, runs along the top to display flavor text
Window_EquipSlot, shows the currently equipped gear.
Window_EquipItem, lists equipment to choose from for a particular slot
Window_StatCompare, to show pending changes to the actor's stats

The original equipment scene also has two more Windows.
Window_EquipCommand, with things like Equip, Remove All, Optimize
Window_SkillStatus, which shows the face graphic, and some simple stats

I'll give my old project's scripts relevant to parameters and the equip screen. Refer to them responsibly, because there's likely stuff in there that's completely irrelevant to your needs.
pastebin.com/eCwvbSmC
pastebin.com/q6XmVXPA

Editing

I'm learning a new programming language to help me work on it better.

What language? Are you still using an engine?
I'm currently learning game maker because I realized most of the things I made with RPGM aren't turn based rpgs. Seems kinda pointless to continue if I can make a good message box and menu system working (the main things I found useful in RPGM) with game maker.

Nice art my friend

Is there a metroidvania system yet?

I tried the looking around the script database but it isn't easy to just search for anything

What are you asking for?
I don't think you need scripts to make a "metroidvania"

Are you asking for a system to make an exploration focused platformer with real time combat and item based progression? In RPGMaker?
On the one hand yes I'm sure it's entirely doable, but on the other I think there are better chassis' for that kind of thing.

If you're NOT going the platformer route and are just doing exploration with item progression, then ignore me. You could probably pull that off without scripts or plugins.