I want to get into cars

I recently fixed some shit in my car and it made me want to learn more about it
Whats the best way to start learning about how to fix cars and getting into the culture?
I'm from /g/, and fixing computers is easy as shit
Once you learn them, are cars just as easy?
The next thing that needs to be fixed on my car is the brakes, and I've seen Veeky Forums say its easy (I don't know if this is a meme or not) but my gf insists I take it to a mechanic since brakes are really important, but I don't want to spend that much money

Eh, if you know nothing about cars don't try to do a brake job. I would say it's about the equivalent of getting a distro like debian running smoothly.

Anyways, yeah cars are probably easier than computer software, but harder than hardware. Start by doing simple shit like oil changes, and work your way up. Buy a weekend car that you can dick around with.

>Eh, if you know nothing about cars don't try to do a brake job.
>I would say it's about the equivalent of getting a distro like debian running smoothly.

I would agree with you if doing a brake job took hundreds of hours to learn from scratch. A car brake job can be learned in 2 hours through youtube and forum scouring.

Is an oil change easier than brakes?
With most things I'm mainly worried about having the proper tools

>Is an oil change easier than brakes?
Yes. A bolt and twisting off the filter (depending on design)

>With most things I'm mainly worried about having the proper tools
Proper research is all you need to do, which you seem motivated to do. Good presence of mind in that statement.

Cars are easy to understand and easy to fix as long as it's just basic wear items.
As long as your car has disk brakes all around and you own some decent wrenches and possibly a breaker bar brakes are easy as shit. I would recommend a torque wrench as well for the wheel lugs and a decent jackstand.
It's hard to mess up brakes if you have a semi functioning brain.
Also, you save a Crap ton on brakes by doing it yourself.
What car?

Really?
I'm in the exact same situation as OP and I was thinking of doing my brakes sometime in the next few weeks

From the sticky:

Want to learn how to fix a car yourself?

Buy the Hayne's or Chilton repair for your car!

Repair manuals will tell you how to do the job and what you need to get it done

Start with simple things like how to change the air filter or tires, or maybe changing your oil

If you are still interested, keep exploring!

Beyond that, Youtube is a great resource. For specific channels some other user will have to chime in cause I have a fucking dogshit internet connection and streaming video chews through a lot of data. Don't limit yourself though, other sources can have loads of good info. Niche forums and websites dedicated to specific cars or platforms or manufacturers or whatever can have absolute shittons of information.

Don't believe I know enough about computer shit to draw a good comparison. On a car with disc brakes, a brake job isn't too difficult. Just do your research until you're confident you can get it done. Also don't hulk out on the little bolts.

>What car
Honda Accord 96

> For specific channels some other user will have to chime in
My rule is "watch at least 3 videos" (provided they're available which with
>Honda Accord 96
is a given.
Why? You'll hear some thing stupid people say. There's many important lessons in the things stupid people say.

user is used to working on computers. You have to be interested in technology to work on computers. There are more stupid people that have to own a car than that have to own technology. Hence, cars are not that hard, there are just lots of stupid people.

This is from someone who only started caring about working on cars in the past 6 months. I've surfed /g/ since I was 15. That was 8 years ago,

What car do you drive?
Are the brakes just worn, or is it a different problem?
Disc or drum?

See
They're just worn. Honestly not sure if they've ever been changed (Maybe once) over the 230k miles it has

Hope you don't have to change the rotors or else one of those screws might break and fuck you
>what screws?
you'll find out.

debian is hella easy to install now tho

Also from /g/. Honestly I got into cars the same way I got into computers. I wanted to customize it, make it mine, do things nobody does because I'm a cancerous hipster.

You can start with an oil change, air filter, spark plugs if you need them changed. All routine maintenance. It's the windows installation of cars.

As things break down or need further maintenance, like your brakes, Google or YouTube it. It's like babbys first Linux installation. As long as you have a few basic tools lying around you can do this yourself with a bit of effort and you seem to have the right mindset to learn.

After that if your car is old, just look for common inefficiencies like an old fuel filter.

By now you know where most things are because your curiosity will likely have led you to learn more about your car, and you'll feel more comfortable taking on bigger things.

The one piece of advice to follow, don't learn about cars, learn about YOUR car. They're all a little different but they all work the same way more or less and learning about one will open the door to learn about most of them and how all the parts function as a whole.

Good luck, you have the initiative and drive, you just have to get your hands dirty now.

>spark plugs
You've motivated me to change the spark plugs on my WRX, user! Thanks for all the positive ohhhhh gooooood

Literally no special tools, a retard could do tier
>cabin air filter
>engine air filter
>refill windshield wiper fluid

Needs a socket set at most tier
>replacing interior components
>stereo headunit swap
>fixing broken power window

Needs to jack up the car tier, may need a couple extra tools
>oil change
>transmision fluid change
>power steering flush
>clutch bleed
>tire rotation

Needs to jack up the car OR special tools/remove components
>brake pads/rotors
>throttle body /IAC cleaning
>spark plugs
>oxygen sensor replacement

Needs special tools OR at least an 1 hour tier
>serpentine belt
>alternator swap
>brake bleed

Getting pretty advanced tier
>Intake manifold cleaning
>Timing belt

Hope you have all day or a buddy tier
>clutch swap

Mechanic tier
>engine swap
>transmission swap
>proper AC system purge

Technician tier
>automatic transmission rebuild
>engine rebuild

yeah it's pretty much the same as computer shit. you have the usual categories
>easy as piss
oil changes, air filter, video card swap
>easy but sucks if something fucks up
brake pads and rotors, spark plugs, distro upgrade, changing a puppet manifest
>not hard but a pain in the dick so pay someone else to deal with it
installing coilovers/springs, anything to do with fucking telco shit
>takes fucking forever to get right and is annoying if you don't
valve adjustment, ECU mapping, NOC monitoring/alerting
>fuck this fucking shit
modern cars with a datacenter worth of onboard computers and sensors, dealing with azure bullshit

Brakes are easy as piss
>remove wheel
>remove caliper
>replace pads
>reverse process

Anyone could do it after watching a YouTube video.

>tfw removing caliper rusted to brakes with cylinder not compressed
>tfw screw in piston
brakes are easy theortically but still PITA

>Hope you have all day or a buddy tier
Took me like 8 hours the first time because half the time i was just looking at it like: ok how the fuck do i get this piece off?