Hey there m8s

Hey there m8s

I was looking at rotary engines and how they can be made more fuel efficient and I found the hydrogen RX8, which has a regular 13B renesis (230hp) and a hydrogen engine (about 110hp). The hydrogen fuel tank weighs about 5kg and adds 100km of range

I have a couple of questions
>Can it use both engines at once?
>Is the hydrogen it uses easily found/carried?
>Where can I find one? I don't give a shit about the cost

I'm more concerned about the hydrogen engine and how it works, I'd install it on a normal RX8 and fit a larger tank in there

Other urls found in this thread:

mazda-motors.com/news/mazda-downplays-production-prospects-for-rx-9/
autoblog.com/amp/2016/12/07/mazda-no-plans-rx-9-rotary-development/
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31802/mazda-ceo-kills-hope-new-rx-9/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's pretty good, just find all the hydrogen you can and put it in the fuel tank user

I'm serious
What "hydrogen" does it use? Solid? Liquid? Simply water?

>reminder you share a board with these retards

>Can it use both engines at once?
it uses the same engine to burn both fuel
>Is the hydrogen it uses easily found/carried?
only in california. hydrogen is a byproduct of natural gas production
>Where can I find one? I don't give a shit about the cost
mazda museum in hiroshima it was a non viable prototype

>reminder you share a board with these retards

Come on man, I don't know that much about cars but I really like them, no need to insult me

So it doesn't exist?

>solid hydrogen

it exists but you can't buy one

Okay then
I have another question relating to the RX8 if you want to answer me
Since it has abysmal fuel efficiency I was wondering if fitting a 5.7 R8 engine (or whatever fits, you know what Im talking about) would change how the car feels (handling wise) considering it would be the same weight distribution

maybe on pluto or some where cold lol

>SOLID hydrogen

this is a concept

Fuck I'm retarded, what I meant was it some sort of hydrogen embued in other shit, like water? I have no idea WHAT it burns

Liquid hydrogen

Probably just compressed hydrogen

OP, I understand we shouldn't laugh, but if you mean where to buy a hydrogen engine for a mazda

have you *ever* seen any car IRL that was running off hydrogen? Why would you think this is a consumer option???

An Audi R8 or a 5.7L V8...?

Any crate engine you can buy without extensive professional modification is going to be a good 100-300 pounds heavier. A lighter 5.7L V8 doesn't exist. The whole point of rotaries are to be extremely light.

If it theoretically did, though, then no, it wouldn't change the feel of the car aside from the powerband being more powerful and lower. Weight distribution would be the same so the rest of it would probably be the same, assuming the center of the engine's gravity is the same.

They can't because there stupid to seal and inherently unreliable. There will never be another rotary because of cost of manufacturing not because of emissions. They can't make torque either because in a piston engine the piston is being pushed at a 90 degree angle down and in a rotary they have to cut into the rotor to get a better effect.

Sorry meant to type 5.2L R8 engine, yes the V10 engine that the R8 uses

Yeah now that you mention it, I 've never seen a hydrogen powered car before

How much does the Renesis weigh? For reference, I want to look for a light engine

>There will never be another rotary because of cost of manufacturing

Sorry to burst your bubble, but google RX9.

It's 250 lbs

Where is it? Another concept that will never exist like the FT1?

>RX9
OK!

mazda-motors.com/news/mazda-downplays-production-prospects-for-rx-9/

autoblog.com/amp/2016/12/07/mazda-no-plans-rx-9-rotary-development/
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31802/mazda-ceo-kills-hope-new-rx-9/

Alright thanks m8, I'm gonna search for engines around this size

But they make so much power in such a small package (I get that they dont make any torque but the revs it can reach make up for it in higher ends and you can always install a turbo for the low end power)

>roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a31802/mazda-ceo-kills-hope-new-rx-9/

Did you read those two articles?

> It's more likely that despite ongoing development of the Wankel, Mazda is still struggling to meet emissions standards.

>"If we were to restart production of the rotary engine again, we need to make sure it wouldn't be just short-lived," said Kogai. "We need it to meet future emissions regulations. We are still conducting our R&D activity to overcome any issues we have with emissions and fuel efficiency."

I know its a long shot, but they're still working on rotaries over there and still have 50 guys developing them, so never say never.

Just like Half Life 3.

I don't know what you plan to use it for though they are actually alright in a racing application and other things as long as you don't want to drive it daily. The rotary is just not a high mileage solution.

did you?
>In an interview with Automotive News, Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai responded with a simple "No" when asked if Mazda has plans for a larger sports car entry.

I'm just worried about the piss poor range, and the fact that there's no space to fit a second tank in there

The RX8 is all I could ever dream of in a car, 4 seater, cupholders for everybody, ample storage space inside the cabin, a usable trunk, looks amazing, is RWD and can make crazy power. The only thing I hate is the range and I'm looking for ways to fix it and make it pretty much the only car I'll ever use

Maybe the problem isn't the engine itself, but Mazda's quality. Mazda makes junk, no surprise their rotaries are junk. Rotaries are used in planes but you never hear about them shitting the bed.

I took a picture of this car at like an auto show I think it was 2006 or 2007 maybe? Maybe 2010?

I'll try to find it

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen

Rotary engines like constant RPM more than piston engines, which is why they have longer service lives than their cylinder counterparts.
Rotaries don't like cold starts either, and planes typically have long warmup periods.