Veeky Forums Auto repair difficulty ranking

Hey Veeky Forums it's time to make another Veeky Forumsutistic chart, this time ranking the difficulty of common auto repairs.

There's been a lot of
>how do i into auto repair
threads going around so it's time we made a good chart for that

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4IG_PIGJ0GQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck yes I'm medium tier

>he can't even change his belt or starter

Are you mentally retarded?

Not bad, thanks user.

How can I make sure my car doesn't roll off my jack and kill me if I'm underneath? I've had it roll before when changing to a spare tire. I am pretty sure I can change my oil without jacking it up anyways, but its still something to think about

contributing:
retard tier:
>air filter
>additional oil
beginner mode:
>cabin air filter
>light bulb replacement
>radio swap

for some cars, cabin filter isn't that hard to replace but for some cars, it's a pretty complicated process for a filter.

Good judgement, and a bump test.

OP here made this with >9000 hours in MSPaint so please contribute as well

ty user

>set ebrake
>tire chocks
>use jack stands if getting underneath
>level ground

if you're changing tires you can leave your extra tire underneath the skirt as an extra precaution

Not that user but it's more that I haven't had to ever do it. I don't think I'd have any trouble with either of those if they needed replacing.

Okay, thank you anons. I'm trying to take a little more initiative with my current car before I consider getting a new car....although nothing fucking breaks. Worst thing I've had happen was transmission failures twice in the past ~10 years, but honestly that's an ok track record for a car from 1990

after having an autistic breakdown, I fixed the horizontal text formatting

>clutch replacement different tier than tranny replacement
Why? You have to remove and reinstall a transmission anyway.

for some cars, you can change the flywheel without completely taking off the gearbox.
as mentioned above, this does vary from car to car.

Yeah but honestly, that's almost always a very fiddly affair. If you're gonna separate the tranny from the engine, you might as well drop it.

I'm medium, about to go harder when I'll change the serpentine belt.
Also in the Scotty Kilmer tier someone adds "no torque wrench ever"

>needing to jack up your car for an oil change
>thinking spark plugs is a difficult job

Come on millennials get it together.

All day tier checking in, hopefully I won't need to get to mechanic tier.

Looks like I'm in "getting harder" tier after replacing one fucking cunt of a starter that was sitting below the intake manifold on a transverse i4. Neat, I guess.

Also for fixing a broken power window, you might need some trim removal tools so I'm not sure if I'd put it in "beginner" tier, even if the job itself is easy enough.

>tfw mechanic tier

Will be technician tier soon, building a big boost Mazda KL for the current toy.

I did do some gearhead tier stuff recently and will be doing it again in the coming months.

>building a big boost Mazda KL
PICS
NOW
t. huge K-seriesfag

Mechanic tier I guess. I've done an automatic transmission rebuild but it was a class exercise and the transmission never went into a car. But I've swapped plenty of transmissions and engines.

One of the few things I would admit to, Millennials probably have it harder. Every year, cars of every make are becoming Lamborghinis in terms of hard-to-reach cylinder covers.

I'm still doing all the maintenance on the car but it will be a fully-built motor, Ferrea valves, Interprep springs, DE retainers, ported ZE heads, built and blueprinted bottom end, G4 mani with a built Mazdaspeed 6 gearbox, straightcut gears, should be fun.

KL is an excellent platform for turbocharging, the original design was made for it.

Spark plug isn't difficult though, you just need specialty tools. So i'd place it about same difficulty (if not easier) than oil change.

It's just you need spark plug socket + torque wrench, which aren't exactly tools someone who only does casual oil changes will have

Very nice, make sure to post pics whenever you get around to building the thing up.

>spark plug socket
You sure know how to make yourself sound like a homosexual.

>trim removal tools

tfw used a butterknife to pop off the door trim latches

How high is your car off the ground

So you have plans for a build but no actual work done to it, nice. In that case I'm currently K24 swapping my Miata

>spark plug isn't difficult
it depends. On an I4, yeah that's pretty easy. On a transverse V6? Fuck no.

Also you don't need a torque wrench lol. The special socket is nice but not necessary either

replaced my waterpump, timing belt, and dizzy

and I'm scared to dive into my power window...
am I retarded Veeky Forums

Just take pictures man you'll be fine

It's a 30 minute job, most of the things in that diagram you don't touch:

>Unscrew trim bolts
>pop off door trim
>pull down weather protection
>remove motor
>replace motor

m.youtube.com/watch?v=4IG_PIGJ0GQ

Yeah okay, guess that works.

i literally just yesterday swapped my opels engine even a monkey could do it with basic knowledge

Petrolhead with my own gear and tools, mechanic at my friends fathers workshop

>tfw fucking plasma cutter being needed to remove old leafs

Just bought my second car ('10 Kia Cee'd to replace the old Hyundai Getz) and thought that maybe I should invest some time in learning how to do basic maintenance. Previously I had only changed tires twice a year, changed the cabin filter, and replaced the headlights.

So far I fall pretty much in to the retard tier and today I successfully swapped the engine air filter. Old one was nasty as hell. Next I was thinking of changing the spark plugs. It seems easy enough and I bought this T-shaped 16mm tool to do it. Only problem is I don't have the correct tool for opening up the engine cover so I probably have to make another run to the shop. Might be able to call myself a beginner if I succeed.

Too bad I never got into this before because it's quite fun. I even feel that the engine noise went down with the filter change today.

We have this very old and badly beaten mk3 Fiesta at the family farmstead that I would like to tear apart and see what's inside. Do you have any recommended resources for this kind of stuff?

>recommended resources
Car-specific forums will probably be the most help, and there's that massive torrent over on /t/ with multiple books about engine building and such in it.

>no replacing CV boot

Hooray, I'm "gearhead tier," and have been for nine years.
My life now has meaning.

Guide is gay

Have to remove like 10 screws and reef on plastic clips and pull the entire glove box to change my cabin filter but head unit is like 2 screws

>serp belt
>hour or specific tools
Wat

Hope you have all day or a good buddy tier. All the suspension and bushings I've done on my x type and the suspension is still broken.

lul what kind of shit fucking car do you drive? any overly complicated designed car that isn't Japanese? took me fucking 5 seconds to swap out my cabin air filter in my civic.

ENGINE REBUILDS ARE OFTEN LESS COMPLEX THAN TRANS REBUILDS

MACHINE SHOP DOES THE REAL WORK ANYWAY, THE PAIN IN THE ASS IS DIGGING OUT AND PULLING THE ENGINE

IF YOU CAN REMACHINE A BLOCK YOURSELF THATS THE HIGHEST TIER, SHORT OF CASTING A NEW ONE FROM SCRATCH USING MOLTEN INGOTS

98-02 accord is like this

updated version for you nerds

>added space between categories so autists can add or move things

>tfw easy tier

By the way, where should "replace fuel filter" go? I've done that before by myself.

now with 10x more engine revving

This chart is kinda all over the place. Never had to really do anything past gearhead, but I'm sure I could if pressed into it. Been thinking of either swapping the rear end in my Ford (2.75 with a three speed. Things damn near a road hazard it's so slow), or doing a tranny swap (either to a 4 speed auto or doing a manual conversion )

If it's under the hood (late 90's early 2000's american cars), then it's about as easy as oil filter change

if it's within the fuel tank (like newer cars), then probably medium/getting harder tier

>trim removal tools

AKA something flat and sturdy. Like a flathead screwdriver.

You'll come to learn that exploded view diagrams like that make shit seem waaay more complex than it really is.

>stereo headunit swap
>beginner tier
What

If you want to damage the trim sure. The point of the tools is plastic on plastic= better than rusty metal on plastic

Just fuck off

Kek Veeky Forumstism at it's most severe

First thing I ever did on a car, what is so hard?

>damaging the trim

If you're using enough force to fuck up whatever you're working on, you're probably doing it wrong.

Maybe its because I have no self confidence when it comes to working with electrical stuff

Does new shocks on all 4 corners count as "suspension swap"?

If not, im petrol head, though once i get some money im hoping to start moving towards a really ambitious project that would put me in the technician tier.

MFW replaced water pump and failed and just now realized how retarded calling it a water pump is.
Dat nigga doesn't have water in it. dat's a coolant pump or fluid pump.

Good-N-Tight
German Torque Specification; To be said with a German accent.

>good buddy tier
>injector swap (diesel motor)
>new diff gears or welding

>getting harder tier
>carb swap or conversion (quadroshit to normal)
>literally anything vacuum system

woman tier

Transmission swap and head gasket should be moved down a tier desu.

>tfw setting comfortably at technician tier because you were raised around farm trucks and semis your whole life

What would changing a fuel tank fall under? Most complex thing I've done by myself.

Car or truck?

Because a truck is easy as shit to swap a tank on.

Car, early '00s Taurus.

>this time ranking the difficulty of common auto repairs.
Rankings of normally easy things like spark plugs fail. Different cars are quite different on how they allow access to items under the hood.

I rank spark plugs as one of the medium difficulty changes for my car. There are pipes going across the area of the 4th plug in the back. Removing metal pipes means draining and refilling and bleeding those systems. It's no wonder my dealer charges $398 for spark plug replacement.

I'd second this. glowplugs are decently hard on my truck without pulling the hood or maybe the front tires so I can drop the front end down
>lifts do not help with service
it also doesn't help how hard GM shoehorned that fucking motor in there so that #7 and #8 are eating the fucking firewall

All day tier here I guess. New parts the last three weeks on my Mustang:

>Change oil+filter

>Headlight assys
>3rd brake light assy
>License plate light assys

>Rear rotors, calipers, pads
>Parking brake cables, equalizer, brake handle, handle boot
>Fab new mounting boss for brake handle since old out ripped out of floor
>Bleed brakes all around

>Rear shocks and quad shocks
>Front struts and mounts
>Power steering rack and bushings

>Clutch, bearings, flywheel
>Clutch fork, pivot ball, clutch cable, shifter boot
>Output shaft seal
>Exhaust gasket

Still have to clean up the front brakes, replace some exhaust clamps, do fuel filter, and wash & wax.

>tfw you want to rebuild your transmission but you only have one car

>serpentine belt
>hard

following a diagram and using a spanner and maybe a piece of pipe is hard?

Some of those belts are damn near impossible to get at.

It was under the car, I had to jack it up. Nearly took out my eye due to some gas spillage. Thank fuck I had a giant bottle of water next to me to flush it out.

bump

>Hope you have all day tier

Wew, changed my first bulb 4 months ago and I was fumbling with that.

>tfw no chocks, just 2x4s
>no ebrake, cable snapped
>live on a hill, no flat place within miles
>shitty harbor freight 3 ton stands and a 4 ton truck

Heh.

Medium tier(?)
>Bondo body repairs

Technician tier. Of course I do this shit for a living so that helps.

hell yeah technician

Guess this makes me gearhead tier. I have a box of spare ebay ball joints for my truck because it's cheaper to swap out a full set of the ebay ones every ~20k than it is to spring for a single Moog part, let alone all four.

Even on a car it's not that bad, I'd put it in getting harder tier just because of having to transfer fuel to the new tank, and the time involved.

Props to you for putting so much work into a worst-gen mustang.

>tfw other than transmission rebuild and broken power window I've done everything on this list
Miatas are too fuckin easy

Also can confirm it's the first thing I did barely a week after I got my car. Super easy; you don't even have to solder or heatshrink if you don't want to, just crimp the harness on instead. Past that it's plug and play, you just play Legos with the unit and plug in the harness. Been fine for me for 2 years now.

>
>It was under the car, I had to jack it up. Nearly took out my eye due to some gas spillage. Thank fuck I had a giant bottle of water next to me to flush it out.

Desu that's why it's slightly harder than a simple component swap, because you gotta depressurize the pump (disconnect the fuse), and then repressurize it properly after

But good work senpai

That's not a mustang 2

my nigga

In conclusion it all depends how retarded the people who designed your vehicle were. For example, changing a fuel filter on a EG civic maybe easy mode but it maybe medium mode on CD Accords.

Don't want ya to break a nail

>perfectly synchronizing 6 carburetors is not on the list

Mechanical artisan tier