Why aren't BMW Z3s as popular as a Miata?

Why aren't BMW Z3s as popular as a Miata?

Other urls found in this thread:

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-roadster/6170761987.html
sonichu.com/cwcki/Chris_and_money
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because Chris Chan owned one

Because its more of a roadster based on a sedan chassis (E36?) than an actual designed from the ground up roadster like the miata.

As a result its heavy. a lot heavier than it looks at least.

More of a comfy cruiser than a car meant to be driven hard, totally different cars.

Money?

Guy on my street has two.
Don't know him well enough to ask how they drive.

>Don't know him well enough to ask how they drive.
Over there you have to know someone to be able to ask him about his car?

The weight difference between a Z3 and a NA Miata is approx 300lbs. Strip the interior, remove the spare wheel and there is no weight difference.
the real reason why Z3's are less popular is the price - Z3 is more expensive

>*teleports behind you*
>*cracks subframe*
>*wears out shift pins*
>*blows VANOS seals*
>nothinpersonnel, kiddo

Miatas are cheap and rock solid mechanically.

>Strip 300 lbs of shit and it will weigh as much as a miata with basic creature comforts
Somehow, i don't think many people would go that far. couldn't you also strip out the Miata and still be lighter than the Z3? and the lightest Z3 were the 4pots that made little to no power (sixes weighed much more).

Miatas have no power either but they'll feel faster and more nimble to some because of the weight difference.

I'm not even sure which person I've seen around the house is the owner.
So yeah, it would be difficult over here.

Miatas literally rust in front of your eyes turning into wet noodles and deathtraps.
One of the major reasons you don't see them here around anymore is rust

2500 lbs is not heavy considering the Z3 is more of a luxury car and safer than the Miata

It's all about the price. Only the 6 cylinder engines are fun to drive and then you pay a lot more than for a Miata. Especially if you want the 3.0l engine (which is a legendary engine) you pay around 10k.

legendary engines are the S50 and S54
and a S50/54 powered Z3 costs starting from $25k
but it's very worth it.

The S50 and S54 are from the Z3M and they are super rare. I would go for the M54 which is the 3l inline 6 with 231hp. Best choice because you pay 6-8 grand less then for the M-models and you still drive a pretty fast car.

This.

>that pic
He drives a Prius.

Hnnnnnnng

The z3, while it has a chassis code of e36/7 is not based on the e36.
It uses e36 front suspension and e30 rear suspension, but it was designed from the ground up as a roadster, there's a reason the coupe variations are so unbelievably stiff.
Z3's also weigh around 2900lbs, which Veeky Forums will call pig fat, but in the real world people think cars that are 3500lbs are light weight and tossable.
Yes the z3 isn't na miata light, but it's not heavy.

My dad had a 3.0 Z3, was bretty fun to drive as a teen. Had a wierd issue with the tire balancing though, it would wobble kinda funny from 20-30, then afterwards be completely fine. My dad never could figure it out.

>One of the major reasons you don't see them here around anymore is rust

I dont know where "here" is for you but here in the US. Specifically on the coasts. you see NA miatas all the time wether it be on the street or a track. You'll see a shit ton of Miatas at a track day or an autocross.

You sound like you might just live in a Flyover state or somewhere in europe

the z3 scored worse in every single safety test than the miata. The miata was a suprisingly safe car as it was designed from the ground up as a roadster. The z3 was cobbled together quickly in response to mx-5 sales decreasing 3 series convertible sales.

I like the look of the z3, kind of like the feel of the higher horsepower ones, but it is a cobbled together rushed design.

It sprung out of the e36/5.

Should I buy this?

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw-roadster/6170761987.html

sauce?

>tfw you are never gonna find an evergreen coupe

The roadster is trash, coupe is where it's at, three times stiffer chassis.
Coupe was built by M-engineers as a voluntary project after work before it became official by BMW.

And normies hate the design.

I love the coupe though.

I remember seeing one when I used to watch the chris chan documentaries. Unsure if this was his or not.

>somewhere in europe
In west-europe they're the cheapest and most numerous pre '98 rwd cars after volvos

>Chris also placed his mother's BMW Z3 for sale, demanding $15,000 for a car that had a book value of approximately $3,000.

It was his moms
sonichu.com/cwcki/Chris_and_money