My first 'new' car

/pol/la/k/ here. I'm 32. Drove the same hand me down explorer since I was 19. Loved that thing. Traveled to Canada and back in it. It was such a little trooper, but she finally died. Love driving so decided to pick up something that would help foster that love.

Found an 06 base boxter with 83k miles on it. 14k. Just had a tune up. Mechanic said it needs some new brakes (1.8k lolol) and has a very small leak in the water pump (2k w/ a new thermostat lolol). Other than that it's runs like a charm. Never enjoyed driving more than this. First 12 months of maintenance is going to be painful but still, I can't get over how much love I feel for this thing.

Congrats OP, you bought a very nice car.

she's got some dings and knicks in her, but my god if I don't think she's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Awesome. My first advice will be to abandon that mechanic and do the work yourself if you dare.

Aw, it's tiptronic. I'd have gone for a manual myself, or saved a while longer for a facelift model because the PDK is a fantastic transmission. The tiptronic is pretty lacking in comparison.

And yeah, what said. Pelican parts and Rennlist are some really useful resources that any Porsche owner should know about, and they're a great place to start.

nobody cares that you go on /pol/ or /k/ first of all

2nd. Get rid of the gay ass stripes

3rd. Enjoy your ca- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 4th. WHY THE FUCK DID YOU BUY AN AUTOMATIC BOXSTER

Seriously you done fucked UP

Why the fuck would you willingly bend over for that maintenance costs? A water pump is like $100 and can be changed out in a couple hours in your garage, no special tools needed

>automatic
kys

Welcome to the fami- Return it, buy a 986 Boxster S with a 6 speed instead

And listen to the other anons here and start wrenching on your own car, otherwise you're going to end up spending 10 times as much on basic repairs

I'm going to go to another garage that specializes in porches and see if I can get more reasonable prices. Some stuff I've been looking into doing myself but I've never, ever, ever worked on a car before and I really, really, really don't want to screw this up.

>Aw, it's tiptronic. I'd have gone for a manual myself
Have only driven a manual on farm equipment.

>2nd. Get rid of the gay ass stripes
I like them. Normally I don't but something about this car, those colors, it does it for me.

>no special tools needed
...I don't have the equipment to drop the engine out of the bottom of the car and work on it senpai.

I was almost happy for you. Tip even ruined the 997 Turbo I drove

>I don't have the equipment to drop the engine out of the bottom of the car and work on it
You don't need to for most jobs, although a lift certainly makes things a whole lot easier.

You literally only need two sockets to do the water pump on your car, stop making excuses.

You don't need to drop the engine to work on it unless you're doing something major with the timing chain or valves or taking off the heads

>Have only driven a manual on farm equipment.
How is this an excuse?

hello cayman friend

I think replacing the breaks yourself might not be too hard, check youtube

what about its oil?

maybe, I still love every second driving this car.

I'll look at it, but again, I've never even changed the oil on my car so it'd a bit of a step up for me. I'd be terrified of doing something wrong.

guy said it looked really clean, probably another 5k miles on it. (was serviced at 82k).

Pelican parts has guides for pretty much anything on their site, your car is a 987.1 so look for that.

>I'll look at it, but again, I've never even changed the oil on my car so it'd a bit of a step up for me. I'd be terrified of doing something wrong.
Well it's time to learn. Boxsters aren't all that complicated

i mean you should change it yearly and figure out when you want to change it

it is also easy to do (see youtube), but you will need a few tools to do it

This, my cayman is about 7 times more expensive than yours and is the first car im doing oil changes myself

is that your car?

si

WOHA thats so cool.
I love your Cayman.
I watch everyday videos of "affordable" sport cars and the Cayman is always on my watch list.

Right now I have no real money because i dont have a real wage but I when I earn a real wage I hope I will be able to buy something like this if i save enough.

The GTS is amazing.