Pros and cons of straight piping your car?

I bought a 94 gt a few months back, been thinking about straight piping it. But I've read that I can actually lose power doing it, is that true? Don't have to worry about passing emissions since the car is pre 96, so not worried about that.

Pros:
Sounds amazing with i4/i6/v8/v10

Possible hp gain if factory exhaust is really restrictive

Cons:
Cops may stop you for it (never happened to me)

Might drone on the highway

No you will not lose any, but have you heard a straight piped car irl they are insanely loud. Not to be a grandma but my buddy literally got evicted because he had a sp'd bimmer

>Sounds amazing with i4
Since when does an i4 sound good straight piped

>Sounds amazing
Shit boxes don't sound amazing when I'm trying to sleep at 3AM and you can hear someone drive down your street from 2 miles away.

Anyone who does this is just an asshole.

no 4 cylinder in existence has ever once sounded amazing. fours are for gays.

I actually owned a 94 gt for a month before an old man killed it, and it was straight piped. Loved the way it sounded. Only thing I disliked was the droning it did when I was going a steady 20 miles an hour.

What's the legality of straight piping anyway? Isn't it federally illegal? Lol, I've seen more than a handful of cars that are straight piped, even more fuckloud Harleys. I've heard you can actually get jail time or you have to pay a huge fine if a cop did want to charge you with it. Is that true? Or am I just reading bullshit? I wouldn't think the laws are that strict.

>jail time
Only if you get caught attempting to cheat emissions, in California.

500 Abarth. Say what you will about it, but it comes stock without mufflers and sounds great.

Nah no jail time, it's a fix-it ticket unless you were running fraudulent emissions like said

I mean, they sound better than stock but I agree I6/V8 is the way to go for pure sound

just what I want to hear a tired old low compression stock motor but loud

I'd never straight pipe a car. Just too loud to enjoy driving on anything but race day. Plus every girl I've dated thought it was retarded.

Maybe get cutouts if you wanna make noise sometimes?

I think muffler delete is more than enough for a street car

Get an x pipe while you're at it

if you have something especially sick under the hood I might appreciate a loud exhaust, but no one is impressed when you make a lot of noise getting on it leaving a light to keep up with the toyota camry. you are just projecting your shitbox's shitness to the world.

You won't lose and hp but you will lose some low end torque at least on older trucks you do. At least in WV it's $150 ticket for loud exhaust but they have to prove it with a decibel meter

Get cherrybombs.... aka glass pack mufflers if you want noise.

Cherrybombs are complete shit and go bad in 3 months due to the packing falling out. Get a full catback or kys

>not burning the packing out before you put them on
Amateur

But then it sounds raspy

Depending on how it's done and what you put it on. Doesn't rasp on mine.

Straight is good but some restriction is good to create a vacuum effect helping draw out gas. If you go straight you will get drone on highway and if its daily the noise will ruin you then agian thats me mate

I had them on a 4.9l v8 and it sounded raspy as all fuck

Have them on a 6.0. No rasp, but it does drone at certain rpms. Probably because it's dumped under the car though.

Don't fall for the straight pipe meme, if your exhaust is restrictive or you want louder sound get bigger piping and a more free flowing muffler. If you get rid of the cat/resonator you'll probably get drone and want to kill yourself. Depending on the engine it could sound good though.

>Sounds amazing