Is FWD really as bad as everyone says??

Is FWD really as bad as everyone says??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1REzzfnF0Dc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes, the second you sit in the car you will understeer into the ocean

Yes, even with all the hype and marketing to try to make FWD cool, the second you're behind the wheel and hit the limit you feel like absolute shit.

A lot of people on Veeky Forums, and the internet in general will shit on things that they have no experience with. Just to feel slightly less like a shit fuck in a shit box

stiff the back and soften the front suspension, problem solved.

The only people that like FWD started on FWD.
No one that started on RWD likes FWD.

Lol. Scared of torque steer? Its not like FWD cars just go around flying into walls and railings.

No.. They blow everything way out of proportion

Drive what you like. FWD won't get the best 0 to 60 times. But only faggots care about that anyways.

You want FWD if not AWD/4WD in the snow. Seen dashcam videos of fishtailing in the snow and ice? Those are all RWD

For daily driving it's hard to tell the difference

>Its not like FWD cars just go around flying into walls and railings.
That's exactly what FWD does.
Try to turn, can't. And you just have to sit it out and hope you don't crash.
Dank fucking shit homie.
The only reason FWD exists is because it's simpler to manufacture and understeer isn't scary to people who don't know what's going on, over steer is.
So it was marketed for 30 years as safe, when really they did it for their own pocketbook.

If all you want to do is get from A to B, FWD is fine. If you actually enjoy driving it is not fine , in fact it is shit

Get out of your shitboxes and actually learn to drive. If you cant turn a FWD car you should turn in your licence

>FWD for snow
Eww no, snow tires for snow.
I think FWD is extremely dangerous is the snow. The reason people think that RWD is bad in the snow is because RWD cars are usually performance cars with performance tires on them not meant for snow.

Or they suck at driving. like 99% of Veeky Forums

It's rainy outside and in my Porsche with 10 year old summers on the rear if I give her the beans I'll spin through third.
That's a tire issue, not a RWD issue. In my BMW with 6 month old all seasons you can hardly tell a difference between wet and dry.

Ok kid. Give daddy the keys to the slowmaro back now.

not as bad as everyone on here makes it out to be. i've owned both, and fwd was fine, but not near as much fun as rwd. just understand that rwd is more fun hands down.

>No experience
>FWD

Please point me to this magical country where the cars aren't 90% FWD

>inb4 pickups

Absolutely. Driving a fwd doesn't even feel like driving.

No. imo fwd isn't bad it's just rwd is better, the best fwd cars will perform just as well as your average rwd cars and in some cases just as good as V8s around certain tracks.
To me, rwd>fwd>awd

No. It's just worse for flat out performance and benchracers like to meme

This helps for sure but you still can't put power down in the back

All I see on here about FWD is faggots who literally drive mommies SUV to school complain that it sucks for putting down "power"

You realize he is talking about driving at the limit not just driving around like a normal citizen

Like he said, get out of your shitbox, and learn to drive

It is not physically possible to drive at the same limit if you have same performance in a Fwd and similar comparative rwd. Fwd is made for a easier saving of a problem

Maybe if you were a better driver.

You can't just correct understeer like you can oversteer you have to slow down to do so

Or just not oversteer and utilize the hand break like God meant it to be used.

Understeer*

>Is FWD really as bad as everyone says??

No. Don't believe anything Veeky Forums says.

Pretty much this.

T. Cuck

Please don't listen to that faggot. He either drives a shitbox or a rwd with shitty electronic numb steering and rages online to make himself feel better.

Currently I'm commuting a 2006 scion xb. I don't like the sensation of being dragged around by the front wheels. Rwd just feels better you autistic fuck.

lmaoing at all these fwd "drivers". You don't need to defend the fwd shitbox your parents bought you.

ive only driven rwd cars and i refuse to buy a fwd. driving is so much more fun rwd

This.
You can make FWD overseer into oblivion on the limit if you know what you're doing.

I wouldn't worry about it.

It's absolute garbage if the car is any bigger than a Ford Fiesta.

No.
It's just that RWD is better than everyone says.

Is awd worth picking up over rwd if I live near mountains and it snows a lot?

I started on FWD and I hate FWD so much I will never ever buy myself a single fwd car.
If I get a family with 6 kids I need to lug around, I'll just get midengined rwd minivan.
not that bad. Just apply a bit of handbrake to turn understeer to oversteer
civic hatches and the new 2k17 type r are insanely fast and very agile. FWD certanly can be a goddamn beast around the track.
I'd rather just be slow but have more fun with RWD

if you want. Unless you live in middle of nowhere and there's a 50 mile commute to work on roads with 6ft of snow that is never plowed it doesn't matter.
fwd, awd with good winter tyres will handle snow and ice fine. If you are incompetent and don't want to spend time practicing in ice covered parking lots you might want awd.

Nothing wrong with FWD. If you have problems with understeer driving to the grocery store, you're literally a motherfucking retard. Sports car? Truck? RWD, sure sounds good, RWD is more practical for those applications. Daily driver? It doesn't matter, and FWD is probably better suited for 90% of normies on the road.

depends, if you have to go up pretty steep hills then AWD is definitely worth it. but RWD can get you pretty far if you have good winter tyres and some weight in the back (bags of cement or something).

I wouldn't trade my 10 year old rwd car for any fwd "luxury" or sports car, if that gives you a hint.

This post is a masterpiece

>Bench Takumis spoiling "muh fun rwd" when they haven't ever spin the wheels( let alone the rear ones)

>No reason other than "fun" to elaborate why FWD is absolutely shit for them. Going slower to have the said fun is an option to them as well

>Itt camry drivers

90's boyracer because sport family hatches can rape your rwd around the ring kek
Stay mad, more coming

a CLA is not luxury and neither is any audi.

this could be an Alphonse post but generally Alphonse can speak English

This is why I used quotes around luxury

Alphonse drives a Rwd

that doesn't stop him from being a dumb nigger

MR2 driver here. I swear by the midship layout.

Most FWDs are kind of sucky IMO, but I a friend of mine has a 200ish whp CRX and he lets me drive it sometimes. It's really fun. You can feel all the power in front.

Imagine you're a little kid taking a golder retriever for a walk, and he sees a squirrel.

That's kind of what it felt like to me when I hit the gas.

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I got a kick out of it.

nope, made has a b18c7 eg hatch, thing handles just as well if not better with some integra suspension bits and some good tyres than my mx5 which has had a fair but of suspension shit done to it, driven it myself only thing that can get a bit iffy if the front end feels a bit light when youre really going fast

99% of the time youre not driving your car to where understeer and fwd shit matters anyway as long as you have some good tyres

also have a camry, probably 10x more fun doing handbrakies and maccas trays etc in a fwd shitbox than my mx5

most of these people claiming its so shit either dont own a car or drove a fwd shitbox once/never driven a fwd

my old c class has a better turning circle than most new hatches, it's what would annoy me the most.

If you have 200hp or less FWD is fine as long as you actually know how to drive it, and great as long as you set the suspension up right.

An RWD shitbox like a miata or E36 is just pointlessly dangerous if you did not literally grow up learning in one.

And, if you really want to drive at the limit... for it's worth competition, non-production literal race cars (including fucking gokarts) are:

Mid engine
Rear wheel drive
Sequential gearbox'd (if they have a gearbox)

Not

Front engine
Rear wheel/all wheel drive
Synchromesh H pattern box
Sorry your miata isn't a racecar

I think you describe it perfectly. FWD pulls the car in the direction of the front wheels. RWD pushes forward. Good luck to the front tires pointing the car in the right direction.
I love my rwd car. Love the layout.
Yet I have no problem whatsoever with fwd.
suspension setup is important in both.

oversteer and understeer are both slow.
what you want is rotation without losing traction, and that has everything to do with chassis setup, not driven wheels.

betaonse does not drive

>ive never tried it
>its so much more fun based on my lack of knowledge!!!

ive only driven fwd cars and i refuse to buy a rwd. driving is so much more fun fwd

It's the choice for someone who really doesn't have money for anything else
What do you think?

No. People in this board are benchracers.

They dislike FWD because it was downplayed in initial D and because it wont drift and because formula 1 isn't using it.

So if I put a sequential transmission in my mr2 it would be a racecar?

maybe if the engine didn't make 130hp and redline below 10,000

First car was RWD, v6. Current car is FWD i4. The difference for daily driving is negligible, except for reversing uphill. Almost never need to though.

Would still like an RWD toy car.

Not all of us were born in the 00's. By the way, you need to be 18 to post on Veeky Forums.

>Locked front tires goes straight
Who would've known?
Try to put some effort into your shitposting.

MR2 turd gen here too.
I konw you have turd gen too.
Before mr2 I was like "hmm maybe skyline or 350z"
now I'm "elise, then nsx or cayman."
midship is to rwd what rwd is to fwd.
Nothing beats the roar of the engine behind you, the feeling of entire car being balanced on throttle through tight corners.

>An RWD shitbox like a miata or E36 is just pointlessly dangerous if you did not literally grow up learning in one.
top kek are you serious? I bet you think driving a manual is something that you have to grow up with as well.

You do know that only thing that separates racecar from car is that racecars mainly if not exclusively used for racing? drivedrain layout, engine location and gearbox don't matter.

and because its only upsides are being safe and cheap.

>cheap
>safer
>consumes some less fuel
>takes less space
>could be a little bit lighter

All of those aspects make them perfect for normies, DDs, and due to the fact that its the front drawing the car into the direction that you are turning the wheel it, it makes them less dangerous if you push them. If you have a lot of grip in the front you can also use them to turn more in low speed or medium speed scenarios.

I actually race my midship.
Guess what by far the fastest car in my current series is? The one that beats stangs (aside from everyone else) GTR's, 500hp subies and bimmers by seconds? A fucking stripped out ford puma.
Am I going to get a fwd lightweight shitbox because it's the fastest car in the world given the information?
No.

>understeers into a tree because cheap, economical and fwd = nobody gave shit about handling

wow well'd memed my friend.

i didn't said you should.

If i had to race i would benchrace with an RWD or MR car. But the hate for FF cars in this board its amazing. Its like liberals whining about trump.

>not lifting off gas to oversteer
>not pulling the e-break to do sick skids
>not using Scandinavian flick to powerslide
>not using Scandinavian flick and lift off to drift

And because it is inherently worse for anything other than getting groceries.

You don't have a drivers license right?
This fucking guy has no business on a public road

>its a fraction of a time slower in tracks and has lower acceleration time therefore its shit

Doesn't outweight the benefits.

it's not as bad as everyone says, especially in the wet
but i don't know why anyone would pick fwd over rwd if given free choice

start looking at cost and whats available though and there are a lot of nice fwd cars out there

>hurr rwd dangerous

I got an e36 shitbox after 6 and something years of driving a FWD shitbox with 60 less HP. RWD is only dangerous if you're absolutely retarded.

where the fuck did this fwd understeer meme even come from, holy shit
unless your weight distribution and suspension tuning were made by blind alcoholic monkeys with downs syndrome, or you're so retarded to floor the fucking gas pedal right before a hairpin, shit's gonna steer just fine.
hell, i was pulling sik skidz on a '85 fwd piece of french shit without even touching the handbrake. tune your suspension and stop being a retarded mouthbreathing benchracer.

t. drive both F and R with zero fucking issues.

>'85 fwd piece of french shit
That's exactly the era when they were the kings of hot hatches though. Cars like the 205 GTi were famous for kicking the tail out.

mine was a 1.1 liter Renault 9 tho, the very opposite of a hot hatch.
still never had an understeer, took her out of the garage a couple days ago for some night tooj and slid around corners like a dream.
fwd understeer meme is bullshit.

My Accord is a lot better than my fucking Astro, other than hauling shit.

It slides better as well!

Fucking hell, I go fucking 60 mph in frozen snow and I haven't had a single catastrophic issue driving my fwd car.

I dont hate FWD but your excuse is bullshit

"i drove an underpowered lightweight hatchback and never experienced understeer. Therefore understeer is a meme".

The understeer of an FWD is experienced mostly when exiting a corner and giving it gas at the same time. It happens if you use a somewhat powered FWD in a track, or try to turn and accelerate.

You can have lots of a fun with a FWD. RWDs do tend to be more stable at an higher speed, especially when you want to take a bend at high speed.

Either way, I have a blast everytime I drive my little Punto on mountain roads. Especially when you can always neutralize understeer with the accelerator.

rwd= front wheels do braking, accelaration, rear wheels do power
Fwd= front wheels do steering braking and accelaration, rear wheels are there to prevent sparks.

accelaration on rwd=
weight shifts onto driving wheels causing them to gain grip
accelaration on fwd= weight shifts off driving wheels causing them to lose grip

powerring out of a corner in rwd=
weight is balanced between rear and front depending on accelaration, rear wheels use all their grip to add power while front use all their grip steering

fwd=
front wheels need to use grip to keep steering and to keep on the power while accelaration takes grip away from both

it's basic fucking physics why fwd tends to understeer. I guess it's not obvious if you don't track your car.
Track not hoon because you can not get anywhere near your limits even if you think you are on the street.

true

audi a8 is a luxury car you utter fucking moron

It's literally a rebadged VW Phaeton or Phideon, and it's FWD-based
It's premium at best

>Auto RWD
>Manual FWD

Which wins?

Manual every time.

Went from driving a 1971 Plymouth scamp with a 225 to a 2011 Scion tC, then to a 71 Buick riviera with a 455. All cars are different, it all depends on torque and how you personally drive. I drove my scion like I stole it and never slipped or crashed. So in all honesty, the handling of your car is directly related to how good of a driver you are.

You could debate performance in fwd vs rwd, but a car can still be fun to drive regardless.