First car advice

need advice for my first car Veeky Forums, ive read the sticky but im still lost

I have like $3-4k, and basically have 2 options, get a cheap car off craigslist or one from carmax that would
be around $10k and would then require monthly payments as well as the down payment

im mainly seeking advice for the first option since its what im leaning towards/would prefer, but im
also curious as to what the monthly cost would be on it(maintenance and other needs)

leaning towards pic related, or another cheap and easy to maintain car, that would take me from point a to b,
and be automatic(yeah i know), but any other first time buying advice would be appreciated, thanks

local craigslist is nashville.craigslist.org/search/cta

Other urls found in this thread:

chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/d/honda-civic-speed/6235539323.html
chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/d/honda-civic/6229296854.html
nashville.craigslist.org/search/cto?s=120&postal=37174&search_distance=10
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-passat/6229888520.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/saturn-sc-speed-miles-leather/6235795748.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/isotope-green-new-beetle-gls/6192687340.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/blazer-dr-fully-loaded-speed/6227259598.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-protege/6221319808.html
nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/honda-prelude-sh/6234223684.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/used-car-chevy-cavalier-miles/6237263265.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-solara-convertible/6232126074.html
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-escape-clean-only-miles/6237673912.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i will help you if you are a nashville native

yee please help

If you want an automatic, you don't want a Honda. They're KNOWN for failing. Instead, look for a Nissan Maxima, Chevy Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire, Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable, or Toyota Corolla

ah ok thanks

are older automatic honda civics/accords generally bad, or is it all automatic hondas?

Hondas are awesome.

Auto transmissions for their v6's suck. D17 autos suck. Basically avoid their early 00's cars unless it is a 5 speed. Stay away from the cvt trans as well.

4 cylinder accords from 94-97 are bullet proof.

The whole reputation for honda having horrible autos started with the J series v6's in 1998. From 98-06 accords, odyssey, and v6 acuras had shitty transmissions that were underbuilt and would typically fail within 100k.

Their 4 cylinder transmissions dont have anywhere near the same failure rate.

by auto, you mean automatic trasmission, correct?

also whats the difference between a cvt and automatic transmission

Don't listen to him. Honda automatics were only bad on the odyssey up to 2005 and other v6 applications.

These are the best civics on your craigslist. it's really sad. Rednecks must not like hondas.
chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/d/honda-civic-speed/6235539323.html

chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/d/honda-civic/6229296854.html

alright, Chattanooga's quite a bit out from Nashville though, i should've
specified that(i live a few miles south), but ill keep the links for reference, thanks

op here this would probably be the most accurate/useful craigslist that would be nearby

nashville.craigslist.org/search/cto?s=120&postal=37174&search_distance=10

nothing in your price range has a cvt. all you need to know is that they suck and kill any fun that a car might've been. the revs increase to like 5k and then stay there until you're at the desired speed. you should really learn manual.

this would be a good fun car if you have some disposable income to fix it occasionally. these were budget audis instead of econoboxes.
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-passat/6229888520.html

these were fairly good and reliable
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/saturn-sc-speed-miles-leather/6235795748.html

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/isotope-green-new-beetle-gls/6192687340.html

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/blazer-dr-fully-loaded-speed/6227259598.html

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-protege/6221319808.html

it's like an hour and change. not very far. I drove 3 hours to buy my current car.

Not OP, but out of curiosity how does one buy a manual car before learning how to drive it? Asking because I'm in a somewhat similar predicament, looking for a first car having only driven automatics. Assuming you don't know anybody who owns a manual and have no other way of learning, is it best to just let friends/family that know how to drive stick be the judge? Is it still a good idea if they haven't driven manual in years?

alright, i guess the distance is a fair point

also what do you mean when you say "fun" car, is it a smooth ride or quick and easy acceleration?

i dont mind one way or another since im just looking for a decent, cheap daily driver

i guess ill trip myself since there's several people here

Two words.
Toyota Avalon.

>Only the Odyssey
And the Accord
And the Civic. It's a known problem with the "hondamatic" transmissions in general. it was more pronounced on the Odyssey due to the fact it weighed more and used the same transmissions

OP this is what you want! Dealer too so they might do payments
>nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/d/honda-prelude-sh/6234223684.html

Surely someone you know has a manual. Or someone your parents know. Or you could see if a turo user would teach you.

You think someone could make a living offering manual lessons on Craigslist? I'd imagine you could charge like 50/hr, not saying I'd do it since I'm not good at teaching.

>manual
aaaaaataaa

but thanks for the offer

also i dont think payments would be even worth it at that price,
and id heard that auto dealers tend to be shady?

That's a shit car. He's fucking with you. Notice the wires in the floorboard.

>auto dealers tend to be shady
It just depends. On one hand the used car salesman is a sterotype for a reason, on the other hand there's always exceptions to it, my grandfather was a used car salesman too and he was great.

but it says "the interior is in excellent condition" kek

also the "!" in his reply also tipped me off

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/used-car-chevy-cavalier-miles/6237263265.html

??

should be golden. The Ecotec 4 cylinder is endlessly reliable, and the 4T45E transmission, while not the best, is at least decently reliable as far as FWD automatics go.

No. Cavaliers are completely poorfag/ meth head tier. They're shit.

Rent a (zip)car with a manual and practice in the parking lot.

The early ford escape hybrids are known for being bulletproof.

I would look into those. I think they are more around 5k.

Although, ford examined the cars taxi companies were using, and at 250 they ran like champs. Still on the road.

I don't know much about batteries going bad.

you can totally find one in your budget.

I highly recommend them. Very underrated cars in my opinion. Very Mazda. The hybrids have alot of Tech Toyota uses.

I have a v6 with 220k on the clock. Not much went wrong with it during the 150k I had it.

Hybrids are the way to go though.

From your perspective as a novice, not much. It's another automatic transmission. They just break more often, which the big reason people hate them. There's some faggotry around the lack of shifting sounds, but that's just people being bitchy.

Get a 944

>Some old hybrid
>available in Tennessee
Pick one. Gas is cheap and country folk don't like hybrids.

Heres an actual suggestion

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-solara-convertible/6232126074.html
Buy this toyota solara, theyre great first cars, safe, newish, have nice interior so no even normies wont care riding in your car. This has low miles and the timing belt was already replaced so youre in good luck. It sounds like its owned by a family who went to the dealership to get parts fixed so it should be torqued to spec.

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ford-escape-clean-only-miles/6237673912.html

KYS

>buying some dealer's unwanted piece of shit
why isn't it good enough to sell on the lot? why not just send it to auction?