/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

Elves are for bullying edition.

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/

Previous thread: >Stellaris
- FAQ : pastebin.com/abGgZJnT (embed) (suggestions/feedback welcome, reply to OP with them)
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1 pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh (embed)
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5 reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki

>Endless Legend
- Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Endless Space 2 soon.

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba (embed)

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Other urls found in this thread:

games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/24794-small-question-to-the-devs
strawpoll.me/12905125
strawpoll.me/12905129
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First

>ywn fuck an elf maid

>ship design guide says to make cruisers
>have much more luck with flak destroyers and pure artillery battleships
AI really likes missiles for some reason.

>he fell for it

Have you only fought other empires so far?

No one can completely agree on the ship meta. Ive heard people swear by Destroyer spawn with 1 kinetic artillery. I use a mix of cruisers with plasma destroyer pciket guns corvette torpedo BBs with only atry and BBs that are really CVs.

Torpedo Corvette Spam is all you need

It depends what you're fighting really, optimising your fleet for your enemy will always be better. The KA/Mplasma cruiser is just the best take-all-comers ship.

>Ive heard people swear by Destroyer spawn with 1 kinetic artillery
Well it is the new Lancestroyer.
RIP Lancestroyer.

I think the custom faction creation system for endless space 2 is looks pretty good.

>So you have take psionic ascendancy and use its buggy mechanics to swap founder species before you can enslave ayys?
You can use the Caste System (pops enslaved only on Food and Mineral tiles) on both the founder species and xenos if you're Fanatic Xenophile + Authoritarian. Or if you want to be Swedish you can even choose to give Full Citizenship to xenos while using Caste System on your own primary species.

>Want to play immersive space Jews
>search the workshop

I don't know what I expected

Is the Visual Affinity selection going to include minor factions as well? F.ex. if you wanted to create playable Hissho or Bhagaba empire.

Truly a great work of art

>Atheists

Dibs Bedora

No idea, I got the image from this thread.

games2gether.com/endless-space-2/forum/65-general/thread/24794-small-question-to-the-devs

>tfw ai is near xenophobe FE
>tfw they keep trying to settle near them
>tfw the FE destroys their fleet and starports and shit
>tfw going in and claiming their undefended planets

>outliner tells you how many planets each sector has
>doesn't tell you the much more useful number of systems
paradox please

>he doesn't know what this means

Why is decadent a trait? Since when gene makes you more/less likely to be an enslaver? Why does it take a genetic engineering to get rid of it? Are you calling whole species evil?

>sector

>mfw using multiple crisis mod and AI get early Jump drive from debris of an Awaken FE fight

rip your galaxy's anus

tl;dr, the whole civics/ethics system is fucking awful and doesn't even play to its own potential strengths

>Can't recreate British Parliamentary Monarchy, but are forced into a Weyland-Yutani shitshow or citizen stratocracy even with entrenched aristocracy

>Can't replicate antebellum US and be egalitarian, yet tolerate slavery

>Can't even go for Imperial China where slavery is outlawed, but your leadership is still decadent

It's like a fucking cartoon, and has so much missed potential. Victoria 2 had entire quest chains that drastically altered your politics and mid-term goals based on conflicts of ethics. An interstellar empire should have that times 10.

I'd like if you could actually pick your government's name. Being forced into being an Irenic just because you pick pacifist is fucking stupid.

do sectors care about amount of systems at all?

no, that's the funny part. A sector can control an unlimited amount of systems without any loss of efficiency.

No, but they only ever build one construction ship and take forever to build stations.

Just Paradox being Paradox

>dude role-playing is all our current system has going for it lmao
>dude we're gonna take that all away but you can build habitats now lmao
>dude just buy our upcoming dlc lmao

I wish it got replaced with Eusocial trait for ant-like aliens. Also, there should be aggressive, subterranean, parasite and other traits.

That would be bad for multiplayer balance though user :^)

Will settling here piss the xenophobe FE to the northwest off?

Also check that planet name in their borders

>That awkward moment in multiplayer when you and your friend share the same flag, have the same taste for color, and spawn next to each other.

Is this Rome or the Soviet Union though user

>science directorate
>one faction pops up, they love science, easy as fuck to please, stay like that through entire game

>imperial cult
>authocratic and lots of government ethics attraction boni
>pops 5 factions that hate the fuck out of everything and are impossible to please
>fucking commies among other things stay 20% strong despite having 6% attraction for many years
>keep spamming edicts and buildings to get that shit together, nothing helps

Well, I've learned my lesson. Only rationalism will save the galaxy.

>Can't replicate antebellum US and be egalitarian, yet tolerate slavery

That'd just be Egalitarian Xenophobe. USA was cool with slavery because God made all men free but blacks weren't considered true men. Xenophobe allows you to enslave ayys whilst keeping your own people free.

>not being a hive mind

This is pretty fun desu, do miss the influence but I certainly don't miss autistic pops joining factions that I despawn by enslaving them for 5 seconds.

Yes.

How do factions work? I never had any problems with them and mostly ignore them. What are they meant to do?

Well, I just wanted to try to play dictatorial spiritualists for once and go psionic route to check out the Shroud.

I think it all fell apart when I stupidly agreed to a war where the reward was three ceded planets which instantly went into insane unrest.

Seems to me like the best option is to either purge the fuck outta filthy xenos, or liberate them and then vassalize them.

Slaves can't join factions so you can just put foreign pops/undesirable ethos pops into a caste system type slavery then put them on food or mineral tiles. They won't bother you any more after. Factions despawn if there members hit 0, so if you enslave everyone, bye bye faction. Best to do it before they get a load of members.

Largely just a way for you to change ethics in-game, so you can start Pacifist Xenophobe, rush all the Ascension rewards, then swap to Militarist Xenophobe and purge everyone.

If you get pops who are members of a faction that is opposed to your government's ethics, they get unhappyness but likewise, I've never had an issue with them really.

They also give you influence.

How i get back Xenophobe trait?
Somewhere i lost it long the way and it got replaced with Fanatic Militaristic.

you embraced an ethic on the faction screen, didn't you

you know you can build stations within the sector yourself right?

I suppressed and promoted some, option to embrace was always blackened
I just want my slaves back from my now 2 vassals

why would you want xenophobic when fan Mil Spiritualist is objectively the best ethics combo in the game

Factions supposedly cap the followers' max happiness, meaning followers of unhappy factions will also be unhappy pops. They have a set of demands that when met increase happiness, and when ignored decrease their happiness.

If you got a really happy faction they also give you extra Influence. You can also spend influence to suppress a faction (decreased happiness, but less followers) or support it (increased happiness and more followers). If there's a faction that has enough followers, but it's not your governing ethos you can spend a big chunk of influence to embrace it and change your governing ethos altogether.

It doesn't cap you retard it sets a base.

Use the faction system, promote your xenophobe faction if you have one.

If you don't, fighting ayys tends to cause one to appear.

Oh right, I was actually wondering why it was so easy to never get unrest despite having plenty of unhappy factions to the point I could ignore them altogether.

Holy shit.

tbf it should cap, because atm an unhappy faction just means slightly more likely to be unhappy pops whereas happy factions means easily 100% happy pops

Is it possible to grant colonies independence if they're not viable vassal targets?

I want to release these two planets with a hive mind pop on them before they're purged and everyone hates me.

sell them to someone else

no, because this game is shit

Next patch is going to add the option to peacefully displace hiveminded pops.

I must be terrible at Stellaris, i have to cheat with console commands my influence because it's always negative and can't keep it up

Make less outposts.

stop signing naps and defensive agreements

hover influence, take screenshot
>naps
don't cost rep, you're thinking guarantees

Best prep the battleships user. Having the same color is unforgivable

>stop signing nap

t. bootlicker

Is there actually any difference between peaceful and aggressive first contact protocol for Xenophobe?
>Peaceful contact
>"Greetings user"
>"AYYY SCUMM FUCK OFF REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>Aggressive
>"Greetings user"
>AYYYYYYY SCUMMMMMM FUCK OFFFF REEEEEEEEEE"

I am still mad sycldari are no longer a direct democrary

>Is there actually any difference between peaceful and aggressive first contact protocol

Roleplaying :^)

First contact setting just allows you to attack a ship or not the first time you meet them. It's nothing to do with what you're thinking.

Does anything else happen after the gas bros relocate to New Baldarak? I got the physics research from it but nothing's happened since.

>Decades if war agaist Awakened Empire
>Tons of resources lost
>War goal: Total victory
>Win war
>Instead of "Annexing" the AE like the description says all their planets are just purged
>Before I can colonize their planets the other Emires just claim them

Im so mad

> NAPs don't cost rep
> Wonders why he has no rep

1, I'm not that guy
2, they don't

Only Defensive Pacts cost influence.

Which is something I only learned recently myself with all the pussy ass empires crowding for my protection.

Federations cost influence, so do guarantees.

What's up with shield regen? It doesn't seem to scale the same as cost and max shields with the different sizes. Is it always best to use them on small slots where possible, to get the highest regen value?

Shield regen is already horribly OP. Why do you want more?

Checked. Also probably not, not yet at least. Xenophobe FE's only get pissy when your borders actually clash. I'd say go for it, it'll take a while before your borders meet theirs and that planet is sweet. Also good luck with the Infinity Machine.

>good luck with the infinity machine

Thanks for the response m8

Anyway, I think this area is no mans land. There's a guy to the south of the pic who lost his entire fleet a long time ago before I met the FE so I assume he settled the planet (has continental pref.) and then got cleansed.

Alright so Nationalistic Zeal and Warrior Culture won last time for the Fanatic Militarist/Xenophobe Imperial state for flavor.
What about the traits of the species which gave rise to such an imperium? Flavorful of course. Extra info about the species in question in the left pic.

strawpoll.me/12905125 (embed)
strawpoll.me/12905129 (embed)

You decide if the investment is worth it user. If nothing else, definitely slap a Frontier Station in there for that sweet, sweet Mirror of Infinity boost.

If your first contact protocol is aggressive, and your fleets are aggressive, they'll REEEEEEE at anything that comes near them, even if it's an uncontacted alien vessel.

If it peaceful, an aggressive fleet will ignore uncontacted alien vessels.

It's a really minor difference, most people don't have their fleets set to aggressive all the time anyway.

ai is building a dyson sphere near my border
can you steal a mega structure with a frontier outpost? topkek if yes

I don't think I can afford to potentially lose all my level 5 starports and my 11k fleet to an FE. I'm surrounded by people who are defensive allied who none of which like me, so it's not worth it I don't think. Feels bad, man.

> Allowing your neighbors to all ally against you
> Letting the diplomatic situation spiral out of control
Honestly you deserve to lose.

It's not that bad. I out tech and out fleet them all and I have a rather large vassal. Combined, they can take me, but I also have allies surrounding them. It's a weird situation. It's kinda like real life, where all the pricks ally with each other cause nobody likes them, all the others ally with each other because they like each other. They won't last; but we will.

>Be United Nations of Earth
>Form galactic union of free sentient species, defending liberty across the galaxy by bringing citizenship to all the people of all the worlds that you conquer
>Become an ascendant machine consciousness controlling a third of the galaxy
>Revoke citizenship of all meatbags, become monarchy due to the influence of non-Terran non-egalitarians
>Federate with minor nation in the galactic south and a major empire in the galactic north
>Annex all Fallen Empires, including one Awakened Ascendancy, for yourself and for your vassals and federation-mates
>All by the start of the late 23rd century
>yfw

Sure you can, you only need the slightest bit of border around Pantagruel. Just experiment with Frontier Outpost border range. If the FE starts to throw a fit, just remove it, no biggie.

You really have to wonder why. It's almost always you protecting some weakling.

So if everyone here hates purple mana (influence) so much, what other method would you use to simulate societal clout and government control? How would you limit min maxing and expansion?

I'd copy EU4's autonomy system.

Yeah. Don't see why it costs me to protect someone. Guarantees should just be a friendlier version of rivalries, so you should gain influence based on distance.

How does that worked? Never played Blob simulator 4.

> Rivalries now accumulate a long standing prejudice against opponents
> Prejudice provides various war bonuses such as increased damage, increased ship build speed and reduced wargoal cost
> Prejudiced pops will be much unhappier and much more quickly purged than unprejudiced pops.

>be wormhole master race
>declare war on hypercuck
>cant stop laughing as his other hypercuck ally try to stop me steamrolling them

They fell for the meme and paid the price

Thats the first event right. there are a few more things after that. you likely will not consider them bros for long though.

What's the deal with hyperdrives being shitty and wormholes being the new master race?