/arena/ - Arena FPS General

We Need to Build a Stack edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
Play Warsow for free: warsow.net/
Link to Quake 2 Starter with Quake 2 and its expansions (Quake 2 this sunday at 8PM EST):
mega.nz/#!EAxAlSwa!9v0PQ7QgN60mXDptMqWXvdAC2srSCnb7pGPqZojG2QI

Quake Champions closed beta signup: quake.bethesda.net/en/signup
QC beta waves are each week and usually last for 3-4 days each starting on either Thursday or Friday. The beta is under NDA, so post screenshots/webms with caution.

slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MlsbcXv-qdw?t=55
youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9Ev9L-Ox8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>yfw you gotta find a slipgate out of this place

What's wrong with his EYES

It's called "my pc is a toster which can run QC only on lowest settings with 60% render scale"-eyes

I'd like to die.
What should I do with my getting fucked by my horrible ISP time, /arena/?

inb4

Go wrestle with wildlife.

this

Did you really have to add more trash to the dumpster fire?

yeah, I think it has to end in some shitposting catharsis

Play Quake 1 mods.

This guy is so mad, that he actually had to take his time... print-screen like 15 texts bits... search for images online... and create a montage... just because he knows he is wrong.

I rate this 10/10, you're ready for the paralympics.

Pretty much.
This is the future of the genre. Saddens me a bit.

Why create a new Overwatch thread, when the previous one is not full yet?

I've exhausted most of the good ones. It'd also take an hour to download anything new, I can barely load webpages.

nyx more like chokes on dyx
nyx more like give her pussy some lyx
nyx more like between matches furiously schlyx

I guess we could jerk off together.

Sup guys. Does anyone know the best settings for my controller? I'm using the default presets from my xbox 360 pc controller, but I'd like to know if there was something more comfortable?

I'm playing the Quake Champions beta.

Thanks in advance.

h

a

h

a

threadly reminder

if you see anyone posting like this albeit with punctuation and patronizing tone and bullshit claims

ignore them and move on

>like this

like what?

Like this
It's samefag, whos shits here for 3 days

That's actually a pretty excellent helmet shoop.

Sure, let me ignore the people that are right and that actually played the old Quake games.

I'll ignore every single of their fact-backed argument, and instead, I'll listen to people like you, because you're Silver in League of Legends and because you've unlocked the golden Ak-47 in Black Ops 3.

Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the heads up.

Add me on PSN: xXcUnT_dEsTrOyErXx
You miht see more people with a similar name, but just make sure to select the one with the february 2006 date of birth.

Cheers.

are you upset that not everyone enjoys mobaquake?

I like it
a lot
replace GOD with PENT and it's prefect

creating images is what I do

youtu.be/MlsbcXv-qdw?t=55

I know that this video is made to show how absurd it is to play such games wih a controller...

But Quake Champions was made with console players in mind and they made the game in a way that you could easily play with a controller and still be good.

R.I.P Quake.

but qc will be pc exclusive.

>the one with the february 2006 date of birth
are you saying that you're 11 years old?

STOP RESPONDING TO HIM

PC exclusive my ass. They said they're gonna make an announcement soon regarding the console versions.

but then the thread will die.

>They said they're gonna make an announcement soon
[citation needed]

who the fuck though Anarki's hp increase being permanent was a good idea?

what is the problem with zoom bonus damage?

it slows you down and makes it harder to aim at close-medium range, gimping yourself should be rewarded in some way. bonus damage is a great way to do that.

he still dies too fast

>getting hit by anything other than undodgable shitscan weapons
lmao

Does the LR have a limited range or something? Whenever I try to use it at long range and I hold the crosshair directly on someone it just won't hit.

NDA being lifted fucking when

i think the netcode is just bad

what is the problem with zoom bonus damage?
the problem is people refusing to adapt

will qc have an ictf mode? have they said anything about community maps and mods?

i'm playing a lot of ictf in ut4, but it's hard to find players in the middle of the night. it looks like qc will have more players for now

That shit looks like fucking Rainbow Six Siege. Why did they need to put one million shitty text elements on the screen and why did they have to show he exact number of dmg you're dealing??

I'm talking about the 7 7 7 7 7 7 numbers appearing and the other "achievement unlocked" type of text popping out. Wtf.

kill yourself

>I'm talking about the 7 7 7 7 7 7 numbers appearing and the other "achievement unlocked" type of text popping out. Wtf.
i love damage numbers and popups when you did something awesome. give them feedback using the feedback button in the menu and maybe they'll make it optional. this is a beta, you can still get them to change stuff.

>rocket science in ut
>nail gun god in qc
>etc
youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9Ev9L-Ox8
it's awesome and feels more rewarding/fun than without it

Why bother adapting to a dumb "consolized" game?

How can even such a game be considered "skill-based" if the enemy has unlocked more champions and abilities than you?

How is that fair? I mean, I could have a good reaction speed, but it wouldn't matter if the enemy has some kind of evasion or immunity.

kill yourself

kill yourself

>How can even such a game be considered "skill-based" if the enemy has unlocked more champions and abilities than you?
there will be a classic mode where every character has the same stats and no abilities. i don't like qc either, but don't act like they're not doing their best not to alienate veterans, while still getting the current generation interested in the game. maybe abilities and shit was exactly what the genre needed.
wait for classic mode or play reflex, ql or ut.
also, complain to the devs directly, complaining on an obscure imageboard won't do shit.

kill yourself

>RedditSpaceJoe claims to be a game dev insider and a high test man of achievement
>has the time and energy to shit up a small general on 4chin for 3 days straight

Lol. Do you even know what a beta is in 2017? It's a marketing stunt. That's what it is. The game is ready to be shipped and they won't do any major changes. You're so naive.

All they want, is to get your email address, then they will send automatic email offers to you all year long...

"ONLY TODAY get 50% off!"

"NEW champion, buy it now and get this nice skin!"

"Pre-order NOW and get all future DLCs, for FREE"

And so on.

Why is this board full of so many dumb fucks?

kill yourself

>then they will send automatic email offers to you all year long
so, mark it as spam?

kill yourself

kill yourself

stop. everyone should be able to express their opinion without getting harassed.

kill yourself

He's not expressing opinion, you shmuck

The amount of people that just went kill yourself proves the predictable, smart ass nature of this board.

All of you try and impress each other with these funny green text comments, from someone who doesn't spend all their life online, it looks ridiculous.

Fuck this I'm off, don't wanna waste my life on "addictive and funny" Veeky Forums.

You can do whatever the fuck you want with their emails... you could jerk off while reading them... you could forward them... you could delete them...

That wasn't my point.

If you had the least amount of neurons in your small brain, you would have understood my point. Which was the fact that the devs are doing a so-called beta so hey can upsell you in the future... and make millions of dollars, out of a game that is free-to-play.

You're so stubborn. And so dumb.

stick your tongue in a plug
suck a pipe of exhaust
make some toast in the tub
nail yourself to a cross
hold your breath till its gone
drink a gallon of mace
be gay in Iran
let oprah sit on your face
jump off of a bridge
skinny dip in a flood
sky dive attached to a fridge
drink a haitian guy's blood
break into the zoo, give the tiger a shove
eat a phillips head screw
marry courtney love

what is wrong with the devs making money off of their hard work? that money will help improving the game further and if they make enough of a profit, they can spend it on esports, helping the community grow.

T. Willy on community maps and mods, paraphrasing: They're looking at a way they can do it without damaging their monetization ie. players can't be allowed to mod themselves anything you pay for, so skins and champion access. If there's a mapping suite, expect it to be something locked-down and specifically made for that purpose instead of the actual engine SDK and engine access. Community modding it sounds like the closest you'll get is that they want players to be able to tweak rulesets similar to Overwatch custom modes.
He mentioned "Snapmap" while talking about it so my optimism regarding mapping and modding is pretty low. The sort of F2P model they're using is absolutely the wrong format for Quake just because it means they need to put a lot of consideration into any access they give to the SDK. It's supremely fucking fragile, and the only way Valve got away with similar F2P monetization is by building a literal economy around it. Most likely factor in the game dying is how little they stand to earn from it with this system, less than they would selling a $20 retail game with no second thoughts put into SDK access.

I know you really won't, but please. Please fucking leave.

killyourself

kill yourself

kill yourself

well, that doesn't sound too great. i was hoping for a system like in tf2 or ut4, where anyone can make maps/mods. you know, like it has always been in the past.
overwatch's custom game settings suck, they are very limited.

i just want ictf and maybe defrag.

kill yourself

f2p is a real shooting yourself in the foot type move unless you sell out to China, Russia or the weirdos that play Warframe and love grinding for whatever reason.

kill yourself

k

y

s

reminder that he's a threat and needs to be eliminated

That's where you're wrong.

There's a difference between

A - People making a good game, and enjoying the moneterary compensation as a result of their work.

and

B - People looking for the best and fastest possible way to make money, and using any way possible to do it. Even if this implies making a bad game and splitting the original content into 4 different DLCs or offering microtransactions.

You're obviously part of the new generation of dumb gamers, unfortunately. You're just another sheep with a wallet.

At least, you could have the decensy to listen to older people that witnessed the era when developers were making good quality games and didn't have money set as the very top of their objectives list.

kill yourself

fuck off you mentally ill nigger

killyourself

I thought you said you were going to leave.

kill yourself

>f2p is a real shooting yourself in the foot type move
i think that depends entirely on the implementation. what worked for dota 2 and tf2 can work for other games.
both of valve's games have:
>community mods
>community maps
>cosmetics that don't affect the gameplay and can be bought, sold or traded
in case of tf2, gameplay affecting weapons can be found by playing the game or bought and traded. it's a system that works and makes valve millions. especially dota 2, where all content other than cosmetics is unlocked by default, just look at the yearly prize pool of the international.
preventing the community from making maps and mods is the wrong move, it will only hurt the longevity of the game. kids today are fine with spending money on cosmetics (i will never understand why), dota shows that. you get to play the entire game for free and only have to pay money if you want to look 'special'.
hiding important gameplay affecting content behind a pay/grindwall is not good. tf2 did this, but i don't agree with that decision. at least in tf2 you could trade shit or craft it, qc does not offer this option yet.

f2p can definitely work if done right. all you need is a completely free game and cosmetic items that you have to pay for. that way everyone is happy: the community stays alive thanks to the people that just play the game for free and the publisher/dev makes money through cosmetics. modders will provide endless amounts of content.

get it through your head
'it' being a bullet

Jesus Christ I laughed for 5 mins straight after this image. Thank you, mate

kys yourself

f2p is the only right move for QC, if it was p2p it would end up like QL

addicted whales will spend tons of $ on boxes too

>it would end up like QL
Or Reflex and Toxxik

Valve is definitely the exception and not the rule re: successfully going f2p. All signs point to the f2p system in QC 100% being the kill your game if it isn't incredibly popular sort, it doesn't work for the game on multiple levels.

what are some classic CTF Quake maps? I want to check them out before they hit QC

You're wrong. Free to play is not a good model for competitive and skill-based games. Here's why.

Since your only profits come from selling skins and other cosmetic items, you need to make sure that you have enough people playing your game...

And guess what, the hard-to-master skill-based games like Quake or Unreal are a niche community in 2017, unfortunately. Just look at Unreal 4... It's an amazing game, and the devs actually listened to every single thing that players wrote on the official forums... yet it is still pretty much dead. It's because the genre is not fun to 2017 players that are used to CoD, Halo or Battlefield games.

So how do you make sure you don't commit the same mistake as Unreal 4? You make your game more accessible and fun to new players, so they don't quit right away. You add Moba aspects and abilities, because it's popular to the masses. That way you make sure you'll have plenty of players playing the game and bringing in cash throuh micro-transactions. As simple as that.

Also, if you had the least knowledge about Dota 2 and had played all the games since the Starcraft, WIII mod days, you know how it is way more casual than it ever was. Maybe you're paying more attention to the arcanas and battlepasses than to actual gamelogs and patch notes, but everyhing is there for you to check.

So please, don't arue if you have no clue on what you're talking about.

kill yourself

kill yourself

Yeah "successfully going f2p" and making the games more and more casual with every new patch, so they could attract more and more players and not scare them by the difficulty of the game.

killyourself

pull the trigger, the pain will go away

neck yourself

why does champions have a character with fuck you hp? did older games have tanks too?

kys yourself

>Just look at Unreal 4... It's an amazing game,

Opinion officially fucking thrown so deep in the trash that it's China's problem now.