/utg/ - Undertale general

My Grandpa is a Turtle Edition

Previous Timeline: Spoilers ahead, proceed at your own Frisk.

-The Game
>store.steampowered.com/app/391540/
>undertale.com/

-The Demo
>undertale.com/demo.htm

-Artbook
>pastebin.com/1MRmU0Gk

-Booru
>under.booru.org/

-Recommendbin
>pastebin.com/fsqd5Sa6

-Writebin
>pastebin.com/UCr5qFpc

-Fangamebin
>pastebin.com/ZHASpj9h

-Steam Group
>steamcommunity.com/groups/undertalegen

-Flockdraw
>flockmod.com/undertale

-Zeemap
>zeemaps.com/map?group=1873782

-Shimejibin
>pastebin.com/YFEGhgxY

Other urls found in this thread:

pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jbaz8UMAE8X32.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_MxMvaUQAAt2iV.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KEUJwV0AAKtJH.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JlR1oUIAAfLgz.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JhefPUIAA_BBl.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JhFyWV0AMdnPR.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JkcG1U0AQBFq3.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OITgeVwAIfMTt.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OSSEzU0AARdUd.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JLygfUQAEdLhl.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NYMTnUIAAs-cZ.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KMjf9VoAAa9cP.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KFWoMVoAAbVW1.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_J34U2UQAAQVqU.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NMZQqUMAAccH0.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Js76dUIAE-vpk.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JgackUQAAVJWk.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JMsG2UMAADjY7.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_CeGo4VoAEF6EX.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AzCw4VwAEmUDt.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_M78zIU0AEM3Tf.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jh0fgU0AAzxKH.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OL6BUU0AAubOp.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NFNvOUwAAffw5.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JA0dfVoAA2cuY.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JNhVHUQAAkCJt.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OBu9CUQAAVodM.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Njn3IUIAAol3O.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NWSSRVYAA9o0u.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jg2VhUAAI0uaB.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JhZXdVoAEGLUw.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jg2-lVYAEmpof.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_IU-__VYAApFMn.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OGuIVU0AAgN4z.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C8880r1UMAEs0c_.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C888yFmV0AAibbj.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_IyVYLUQAAK2cG.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_MKIeEVYAEjM0Y.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_HNQtpUIAAkUI7.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JTB4sVYAM50U1.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JfMazVoAIqJDZ.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JjbAUVwAEaP8G.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JAnUKUQAAnqYg.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_MM5MjVYAA1dkj.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JpwROVwAA8VpM.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jih-oUQAA-MZb.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C8Jlp0aUQAIVhVs.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_GxfQiUIAAUrQv.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JirUKUMAMbHUe.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OH9zvVoAACRMn.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OH-TgVoAAHsRX.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_J0WFKVwAE0GOE.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NXXprVYAA3tTm.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ji1DgVoAA8TT2.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ivtv5UMAAI4v-.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ije6XUMAAx2Vv.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jo14oUIAIER38.jpg:orig
nextale.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why do you always have to show up when I have a good OP idea, user?!
Pic unrelated.

Hitting your fave when they don't get good enough grades at school!
Hitting your fave for making people wonder if your fave is being hit by you!

Two posts again

>Asgore
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jbaz8UMAE8X32.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_MxMvaUQAAt2iV.jpg:orig
>Toriel
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KEUJwV0AAKtJH.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JlR1oUIAAfLgz.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JhefPUIAA_BBl.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JhFyWV0AMdnPR.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JkcG1U0AQBFq3.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OITgeVwAIfMTt.jpg:orig
>Asriel
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OSSEzU0AARdUd.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JLygfUQAEdLhl.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NYMTnUIAAs-cZ.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KMjf9VoAAa9cP.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_KFWoMVoAAbVW1.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_J34U2UQAAQVqU.jpg:orig
>Flowey
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NMZQqUMAAccH0.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Js76dUIAE-vpk.jpg:orig
>Chara
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JgackUQAAVJWk.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JMsG2UMAADjY7.jpg:orig
>Frisk
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_CeGo4VoAEF6EX.jpg:orig
>Sans
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_AzCw4VwAEmUDt.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_M78zIU0AEM3Tf.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jh0fgU0AAzxKH.jpg:orig
>Papyrus
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OL6BUU0AAubOp.jpg:orig
>Gaster
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NFNvOUwAAffw5.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JA0dfVoAA2cuY.jpg:orig
>Undyne
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JNhVHUQAAkCJt.png:orig
>Alphys
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OBu9CUQAAVodM.jpg:orig
>Grillby
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Njn3IUIAAol3O.jpg:orig
>Aaron
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NWSSRVYAA9o0u.jpg:orig
>froggit
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jg2VhUAAI0uaB.jpg:orig
>Shyren
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JhZXdVoAEGLUw.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jg2-lVYAEmpof.png:orig
>Muffet
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_IU-__VYAApFMn.jpg:orig
>Nicecream bunny
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OGuIVU0AAgN4z.jpg:orig
sorry

>Hitting your fave for making people wonder if your fave is being hit by you!
Thanks for having my back.

>Burgerpants
pbs.twimg.com/media/C8880r1UMAEs0c_.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C888yFmV0AAibbj.png:orig
>Fishlizard
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_IyVYLUQAAK2cG.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_MKIeEVYAEjM0Y.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_HNQtpUIAAkUI7.jpg:orig
>Kingdings
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JTB4sVYAM50U1.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JfMazVoAIqJDZ.jpg:orig
>Soriel
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JjbAUVwAEaP8G.jpg:orig
>Nicepants
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JAnUKUQAAnqYg.jpg:orig
>Skeletons
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_MM5MjVYAA1dkj.png:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JpwROVwAA8VpM.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jih-oUQAA-MZb.jpg:orig
>Papyrus + Flowey
pbs.twimg.com/media/C8Jlp0aUQAIVhVs.jpg:orig
>Chara + Gaster
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_GxfQiUIAAUrQv.jpg:orig
>Chara + Frisk
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_JirUKUMAMbHUe.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OH9zvVoAACRMn.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_OH-TgVoAAHsRX.jpg:orig
>MTT crashing peoples dates LIKE A DICK
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_J0WFKVwAE0GOE.jpg:orig
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_NXXprVYAA3tTm.jpg:orig
>MTT + FLowey + Undyne
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ji1DgVoAA8TT2.jpg:orig
>Goat Family
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ivtv5UMAAI4v-.jpg:orig
>Goatdad + fish daughter
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ije6XUMAAx2Vv.jpg:orig
>Group
pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Jo14oUIAIER38.jpg:orig

Oh thank goodness we can leave that rotting corpse of a thread behind us.

FRICK HOURS WHO THE FUCK UP

>edgefrick
now I really want his twinky tall ass

you say that but I don't think you ever mean it

The sight of a fresh thread with no shitposting fills you with "Ball Game".

If I had actually known that you were planning a thread i'd have not made this one. In the future i'll wait until 750+ before I do so

Who got pissed off this time, that this is suddenly the new meme?

not the same guy, just messing with you because I think I see you say that often

I don't get the meme, so I also don't get why it annoys people.
Is it another one of those things where the way it's annoying to people is the joke?

I have chocolate cookies. And coffee to go with them and it's lovely.
Everything's okay now.

This Chara looks like they just got pulled into the game from Code Lyoko

I tried to rewatch Code Lyoko once but I couldn't get over they're pointy, pentagonal faces.

There was an argument over what trait the red soul has, even though it is clearly determination.

Each of the six human souls has its own trait, like patience, bravery, etcetera. People often claim the red soul's trait is "determination", but that doesn't really work out because determination is yellow everywhere it has a color in the first place and all humans have lots of determination.
The Snowdin ball game gives you a differently colored flag depending on how you beat it, and if you do it perfectly you get a red flag with some flavor text listing each of the soul properties in text written in their respective colors. It doesn't say anything about determination, but it does say "ball game," in red text, so it seems that the red soul's trait is "ball game."
Or it could be "being yourself", because the ball game does say something about that, but don't tell anyone

>It doesn't say anything about determination, but it does say "ball game," in red text, so it seems that the red soul's trait is "ball game."

I think this is one of those cases where taking every word deadly seriously doesn't exactly work out in practice. "Being yourself" sounds alright.

I think this is one of those cases where taking every word deadly serious lets you make a joke that's not very good but can be stretched out over hundreds of posts

Can "being yourself" even be considered a trait?

if you really get down to it, Justice isn't a trait either, it's just a concept

I guess.
I don't like it though.

>tfw dadfag
>tfw starting to appreciate edge Asriel from a lewd pov

FINISH HIM

AU where everyone is that one monster with the cap in the MTT restaurant who's really enthusiastic about puzzles

"Everytime someone calls final-boss Asriel hot an
angel gets its wings.
An angel of death."

Definitions for trait are along the lines of "a quality that makes a person unique."
"My defining trait is being myself" sounds dumb to me.
It's sort of like avoiding the question all together.
"Myself" is composed of traits, a person does not have one defining trait.
If that's what Toby was going for than I wish he put it in a way that's less Care Bears.
Honestly I think Toby didn't give red a trait for the sole purpose of limiting Frisk's personality and making them a better self insert.
Traits such as "Kindness" or "Bravery" might not apply to every player while "Determination" is something everyone playing has on some scale because it's a parallel to the player's willingness to keep going.
I'm going to think of the being yourself line as a "fill in your own trait here" rather it being what defines Frisk.

What is self-righteousness?

There's a clear difference between a desire for justice and self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is pretending to seek justice to inflate one's own ego. Everyone can be self-righteous. Not everyone can have a desire for justice.

They're two sides of the same coin, you can even interpret it to mean "justification in ones actions". Hell, the yellow flag result is "Your sure-fire accuracy has put an end to the mayhem of 'ball'".

The yellow soul kid was implied to have killed some monsters (dangerous feeling hat, gun may not have always been empty), his trait implies it may not have been of malicious intent.

Determination is a direct metaphor for the player's desire to keep playing the game and continue through the Underground.

Your actions define you, not arbitrary traits. That's why you're determined as long as you keep playing the game, because it's a true and universal constant regardless of HOW you choose to play the game.

Correct, that is what I meant.

I want to be tiny and have Toriel dote on me.

Good morning utg! Have a good Sunday!

Thank you Twitter user! Thats alot of art! Was there something special about today?

the 60 min was really active and I liked a lot of the art they made. Plus sundays always have a ton of stuff but as far as I know there wasn't anything special

Just dropping by somewhere between the Azzy hours to tell you that I'm liking what you're making.

Bring back Storyshift!

>Asriel in captain's seat
You probably missed it when I said I wanted this a long time ago but I'm happy that it now exists.

Do I have to?

keep it dead

Reminder that the goat is dead.

I feel like writer should take a break, and eventually start the story over from scratch.

what is nextale

Yes!

Storyshift is loved by many people unlike you! You should stay dead!

Perhaps a rest is well deserved. But I don't understand why a reboot is necessary.

Partnership is the best kind of ship.

Only if it has a better Waterfall and Hotland

>You should stay dead!
way ahead of you

I feel bad for the writer.
According to what I heard on here they have openly admitted to hating what it had become and then they were bashed by their own fan base because they didn't like what they liked.

>But I don't understand why a reboot is necessary.
Then you're an idiot. Even the creator admitted the story has railroaded into something bad, it's not hard to see all the different points where it failed.

>According to what I heard on here they have openly admitted to hating what it had become and then they were bashed by their own fan base because they didn't like what they liked.
More or less. They expressed doubts about certain story decisions and where they're going with it (up to and including the much-maligned Chara data), but the subreddit didn't care, everything was perfect to them. Content creators are very often insecure about their work, that's completely true, but when you know something is wrong and yet it gets praised anyway, I do believe that kind of feels like a slap in the face as well.

helpless little frisk always for daddy sans's charms
no exceptions, they can't resist him

Don't reply to me anymore!

Of course, /utg/ is the end-all be-all of sources.

>this is shit but I won't say why
Very convincing!

I was the requester of it, and I really liked it

I like the quote too, because (1) Picard is not shy of great quotes, and (2) It fits for Asriel since it could be a reflection of the personal identity issues his predicament can't help but bring up

Was the location of each of the fallen humans weapons indicative of their strength? If Catty and Bratty scavenged the pistol from Waterfall does that mean Kindness was the furthest progressed?

Why do people ask about the humans as if we know literally anything about them? Who knows if that's your headcanon go for it because no one can prove you right or wrong

Because some people have an open mind and are willing to change their headcanon with thought-provoking discussion?

Discussing headcanon is fun. Like that theory that Flowey is not so much unable to feel positive emotion but the way monsters feel emotion is so alien to his current form he can't conceive of how to do it. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's interesting.

If that were the case, the story breaks apart, as the first fallen after Chara left their stuff in the Ruins, but couldn't have died there.

But why are you asking as if we know one way or the other? Just say hey I think *headcanon* is cool, what do you guys think about it?

Patience probably had already lost their items when they got killed. I don't think Asgore would enter the ruins.

Sci-fi AU.

nextale.tumblr.com/

Maybe. That's what I always thought.
>If Catty and Bratty scavenged the pistol from Waterfall does that mean Kindness was the furthest progressed?
Didn't think about that.

I like stuff about the humans, despite there being just about nothing about them in anything.

>Very convincing!
Chara overtook the story far beyond the character should have. Toriel's motivation made no sense, because she immediately dropped her concern after Frisk left, which doesn't gel with her insistence of keeping them safe. Asriel is completely generic in this incarnation and after the retcon, Blooky-Flowey is exactly the same as well. Undyne and Asgore's relationship could have been very interesting, but boiled down to "Undyne attempts something, Asgore stops her" like I was watching a fucking looney tunes cartoon. Asgore wants to commit suicide even though the problems he had in UT are not present here, and he has a wife and two children still alive and well. Sans references hunters who are out to take Frisk's soul, but none of these have been so much as mentioned throughout the story.

Is that enough?

I kind of hate the theory that they just ditched their items. They were important enough to them that their items were invested in their soul segments so why would they just ditch them?
I'm not a big fan because its just pure headcanon where anything you want to can be true. Plus people take it too seriously and act as if their headcanons for what went down is different then you're an asshole or wrong and get pissed if you point out that they're stuff is BS

Just wait for the Underfell game, Nextale is featured there

I don't think all of them ditched their items, some of them just wound up in places for one reason or another.

Like say, Patience could have dropped their items to lure Toriel away from the Ruins door, and then just bolt the fuck off. It ain't ironclad, but it's an idea.

>Plus people take it too seriously and act as if their headcanons for what went down is different then you're an asshole or wrong and get pissed if you point out that they're stuff is BS
Really? I didn't think anything more than maybe 5% of people cared about them.

That's the thing though is that its just a random guess. I don't know i'm not a fan of just wildly guessing and coming up with BS that I know isn't true but its fine of you are
I've gotten hate for it before

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, it's just an open question and people always want to fill those out. Since canon information about them is nearly non-existent, there's really nothing else people can go by, save for some really obscure and minor clues.

Most people who do care just care a little bit too much.

They could just as easily mean the dumpster outside the hotel rather than waterfall.

Frisk cannot drop their weapons, only replace them. Assuming the other kids played by the same rules, they couldn't either.

Maybe Patience died before Toriel went into self-imposed exile?

Doesn't make sense because if Toriel had access to a soul she could have just taken it and solved it using her so peaceful plan.

by it I mean the plot of the game

Nah, she probably left right after Asgore made his declaration of war, tensions were very high almost immediately after Chara and Asriel's death, I don't think more than a few days passed before she just took Chara's body and left.

not to mention Toriel and Asgore probably would have gotten into a fight if it happened while both was present, it's more likely she left before any of the six fell.

Do people really not realize her "plan" was just her pointing out how Asgore plan to sit on his ass and do nothing only managed to draw out everyone's suffering with the same genocidal result

>tfw the good underfell game fucking imploded

>Chara overtook the story far beyond the character should have.
Just like sans did in canon?
>Toriel's motivation made no sense, because she immediately dropped her concern after Frisk left, which doesn't gel with her insistence of keeping them safe.
She reconciled with her children and if they have faith in shifty, she does too. You could make the same argument for canon toriel
>Asriel is completely generic in this incarnation and after the retcon, Blooky-Flowey is exactly the same as well.
Are you saying their canon counterparts had more depth in this regard? This is an entirely subjective critique.
>Undyne and Asgore's relationship could have been very interesting, but boiled down to "Undyne attempts something, Asgore stops her" like I was watching a fucking looney tunes cartoon.
I see you missed the screen where Undyne left a note saying "Thanks for being the dad I never knew could be real." Undyne's motivation in this case trying to stop the human so Asgore will stay alive is a more personally sympathetic cause than her canon motivation of freedom for monsterkind.
>Asgore wants to commit suicide even though the problems he had in UT are not present here, and he has a wife and two children still alive and well.
And while he has his family, a number of monsters don't because of him. And even then, his son distrusts him, his wife left him, and the only human they're on good terms with would never accept his sacrifice.
>Sans references hunters who are out to take Frisk's soul, but none of these have been so much as mentioned throughout the story.
I interpreted this as every hostile encounter so far were the "hunters"

Speaking of, where did Petra go

I hope the subhuman didn't drive him out

>Of course, /utg/ is the end-all be-all of sources.

gotcha covered, boss

Nobody points out that Asriel had a hybrid soul and yet he was still killed by the humans.

Easy to get killed when you refuse to fight

And only Asriel knew about Chara assuming direct control, so that aspect wouldn't come up

Not much of a problem there. He had the power to stop them and/or kill them, but failing to do either he wasn't actually immortal against their violence.

If she actually thought that plan was possible she should have done it. I have almost no respect for Toriel desu because time and time again she chose herself and her own emotions and self righteousness over the lives of her people, the human race and the fallen humans. She had so many outs and options that she could have solved the issue with but took none of them because she might have had to do something morally that she didn't want to do. If she hadn't left and stuck around to try and gather support to oppose Asgore's plan she could have turned the opinions of the rest of the monsters, if she been willing to trap the human in the ruins so they couldn't get killed she could have done the Chara plan again and taken their soul peacefully and gotten the rest form doners on the surface, She could have gone with the humans to face Asgore directly even though it would be awkward to face her ex and protect them or even kill a human so that she can take their soul if they can't be reasoned with and absorb it so that she can go to the surface and force peace between monsters.

So yeah I know what she meant by that but the whole thing rings really false and hypocritical when she could have done shit herself to end it whenever she wanted but didn't because she personally would feel bad. Like at least Asgore had the weight of his entire race's survival on his shoulders, most likely didn't truly believe that humans and monsters could ever live in peace and had to face committing genocide because of that belief.

sorry about the rant but I read some stuff that was bothering me the other day and I wanted to get this off my chest. Toriel's a good character but man I personally don't like her.

Nobody knew what happened besides Asriel. They painted what happened in the best possible light because otherwise their only hope would be crushed. For all they know, Asriel could've been killed by a magician.

Recognizing the lesser of two evils without being willing to do it yourself wouldn't make you a hypocrite. You disapprove of both bad things, but when the worse of the two starts to happen you wouldn't be out of line to point out that the other option would still be preferable just because you don't want it to happen either.

I do like her, though I agree that her reactions and motivations surrounding the war are not really explored and that's a fault in the writing.

>Storyshift is loved by many people unlike you! You should stay dead!

Storyshift isn't coming back. Now that Voltra finally got a reason to quit the thing she's going to let it rot and wait for everyone to forget it.

She's spent over a year rewriting the same story over and over again without ever getting it right. Quality notwithstanding, anyone would get sick of that.

>Just like sans did in canon?
That's bullshit and you know it. Sans wasn't linked to the king, he didn't personally edit the lore to fit his own suffering in. Don't confuse what people assume of Sans with what actually happens in the game.

>Are you saying their canon counterparts had more depth in this regard? This is an entirely subjective critique.
I really don't think it's subjective to say that Asriel has more character if you include Flowey, and that Blooky acting exactly like Blooky is somehow more character than giving him a psychosis like Flowey's.

>I see you missed the screen where Undyne left a note saying "Thanks for being the dad I never knew could be real."
No, I did not, but their interactions by and large were about what I said. Undyne appears, menaces Frisk (and even then she really doesn't, because everyone starts rooting for Frisk by the end), Asgore disables the problem. He has all of Alphys' positive things and none of the bad. I was waiting for Hotland so much, because the connection between Undyne and Asgore is much stronger than Alphys and Metta, but it was just a rushed nothing.

>And while he has his family, a number of monsters don't because of him. And even then, his son distrusts him, his wife left him, and the only human they're on good terms with would never accept his sacrifice.
Chara has nothing against him, Toriel is mad for reasons unknown and what are you talking about? Asriel specifically talks with Toriel in Waterfall about wanting to see the family back together again. The Amalgamates are already free and are doing fine, Reaper Bird is much more coherent for instance. The True Lab probably would have elaborated upon that, but on Neutral, he's just ready to die for the first human rando.

>I interpreted this as every hostile encounter so far were the "hunters"
That would assume everyone at all times is out to murder Frisk by default, even in Snowdin and Waterfall, which considering Toriel's presence, is bullshit.

What difference does it make how they got killed? We're not assuming that he got overpowered because of just what he told, but because of how the ancient texts in the waterfall tell us about how strong human-monster souls are together. There's no question that he was more powerful than any of the humans, but died in their hands anyways, making it clear that something went wrong. Why would he want to lie about that or even portray it in less-than-truthful way?

>the worst of the two
The worst would have been him trying to commit genocide. He didn't choose the best option and he's still a murderer that did wrong, i'm not denying that or trying to say that he was justified but his choices at least make complete sense and I can sympathize with him unlike Toriel who had both the means and the motivation to end the entire conflict whenever she wanted but never did because she might have had to do something she didn't want to do. Like fuck i'm suppose to like this character and think shes a good mom because she let six kids die literally only because she didn't want to have to talk to her ex? What the fuck Toby.

It really doesn't help that we personally know that her plan wouldn't have worked and most likely would have just gotten Asgore killed which would have made things even worse because now the monsters king have been murdered by the humans not long after Asriel.

Also i'm really sorry because i'm going really off topic now and this has nothing to do with you or this conversation and i'm just venting because i'm frustrated. I'm going to shut up now and just post cute goats

Would you still love your fave if they were 8 and they wrote bad fan fiction based on things they liked and made your read it