Etrian Odyssey General

EO Guides, References, Music, Art Books, etc.
pastebin.com/6cmH2LjS
>EO V Information
sq-atlus.jp/sq5/

>EOMD2
sq-atlus.jp/sfd2/

>EO V Skill Simulator
waifusims.com/EOV/skillSim.html
jii.moe/EkvsTrdY-.html# (Class Skills)
jii.moe/VyvBiy6dW.html# (Race Skills)

>EO V item and quest translation list
pastebin.com/c4uzKptj (Item list)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Oz2FGmL0QpE2-Qkb8zz-t_MP_WEpDo6gzlA29-wJIDw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0 (Quest list)
pastebin.com/8sJhutN7 (Conditional drops)

>EO V color editor.
edit.s2.xrea.com/sq5/
>EO V VA list
pastebin.com/gM4KaYjs

>EO V Game & DLC.cia link
mega.nz/#F!XkJiHBIb!vzL2CLjZZVA-yAGS7UZgdA

Previous thread:

Why do you persist
Its too late

This is too stupid to feel mad about.

Olympia did nothing wrong.

>summons that waste your time
EO2U boss design in a nutshell.

Quick, use a dusk ball!

>thinks adds are bad design by default
Thank god you arne't a game designer.

hope you saved fafnir's break

>by default
You really need to work on your implying skills, user.

Summons are not bad by default but the way EO2U did them is just shit - and they are everywhere.

>basilisk eyes - kill them or get petrified
>flame cubes - kill them quick or you die
>tentacles - kill them instantly or you die
>cores - kill them quick or you die
>calamity pieces - kill them or you can't kill the boss
>origin buds - kill them or you can't kill the boss

You can not control them, you can not decide to outlast their damage - the only way the game allows you to handle them is through damage.
Which is a real shame because EO usually gives you a range of options on how to deal with stuff.
But not the summons. They are there to waste your time, damage and TP or punish you should you decide to try to get around that.

An example for good summons are the hollow Queens supporters.
Not only do they rotate so you can pick your poison, you also can arm/head bind them to make them a non-issue for a few turns.
And when the fight is coming to a close you can also just ignore them and burst on, something many EO2U summons prevent you from doing.

>basilisk eyes - kill them or get petrified
Prevent order/barrier/medical miracle did the trick. A boss like basilisk would usually use a petrification skill no matter what. The eyes give you an extra chance to prevent the skill from being used at all.
>flame cubes - kill them quick or you die
While it is indeed better to kill them you CAN block the epxlosion if you have grimoires.
>tentacles - kill them instantly or you die
Kill them fast and they'll be resummoned faster. I usually opt to let them be for as long as possible and focus on Scylla instead.
>cores - kill them quick or you die
This is actually a TERRIBLE idea other than for storm emperor. In the case of blizzard king, killing the core means mirror shield is soon to follow whereas leaving it alone will prevent the skill form being used at all. As for great dragon, killing the core with its massive HP means giving the dragon several free turns to maim you, it's best to just fire wall it.
Anyway, fuck dragon cores.
>calamity pieces - kill them or you can't kill the boss
>origin buds - kill them or you can't kill the boss
Well then, kill them. What's the problem really? Is it that you wanted to have your opportunity windows to be eternal so you can keep doing whatever at your leisure? These fights are interesting precisely because of those helpers restricting your zone of comfort and forcing you to be sure of when to attack and how.

In every case but the last two, you're free to ignore the helpers and rush the boss - you're just doing it at a risk. And assessing risk is what you're supposed to do in boss battles. As they were used for bosses like hollow queen or cernunos, the supporters were little more than a decoration, a trap to make you waste valuable turns. There was little to no punishment for ignoring them.
Although I wish we could have had front line summons for some boss fight, only to make drop shot not utterly useless against bosses.

>Kill them fast and they'll be resummoned faster. I usually opt to let them be for as long as possible and focus on Scylla instead.
this

ignore tentacles, they are a trap.
multi-attacks should take care of them

Why is Himukai so lewd?

Persona Q 2 when?

Just started up EOV and was wondering if there was anything other then the class recolors in the dlc cia? I cant read moon, so Im not sure if Im missing anything.

There's additional portraits for some classes IIRC.

There is no class recolor DLC.

Really? If its the school uniform portraits or the EO1 portraits I dont see either when Im creating new members for my guild.

>basilisk eyes
I give you that one. You can get around it rather easily.

>While it is indeed better to kill them you CAN block the epxlosion if you have grimoires.

Walls only block one instance of damage per character. Since they explode on the same turn as Kingly fire comes out you will not be able to take this - unless you put half your team on Fire Wall duty. Which means you have to get enough Wall Grimoires in the first place. Since Grimoires in the second stratum are very low level you would have to grind a lot even if you used QR codes.

At which point - why not grind out some more levels and just trash the boss that way.
I don't see that as a viable strategy at all.

>Kill them fast and they'll be resummoned faster. I usually opt to let them be for as long as possible and focus on Scylla instead.

Might work on standard, terrible idea on expert.
Not only is their damage massive and adds up quickly (unless you somehow have a rank 20 Front Guard for 70% reduce) their leg bind skill also stuns you.
So if you have any plans to get around their primary disable all can and will come crushing down if you get even a bit unlucky. Which is likely if you let them have many tries by leaving them up.

>In the case of blizzard king, killing the core means mirror shield is soon to follow whereas leaving it alone will prevent the skill form being used at all.

You and I must play different games entirely.
Mirror Shield is bound to the summoning of the core, not to it's destruction.
It just gets delayed if Blizzard King is forced to do other things before Mirror Shield.
Hell, that is the entire reason you can not two-shot Blizzard King with a Dark Hunter. After the first Ecstasy (which takes over 50% HP and puts BK way under the threshold for the first Core) it summons the core and next turn Mirror Shield will prevent your second Ecstasy.

Besides that leaving cores up is a terrible idea because their elemental blast gets stronger every turn they are alive.

(cont.)
So unless you put two people on duty to wield of elemental blasts and a third person on duty to ward of physical attacks you will die after three or at the very most four turns of core damage.

>Well then, kill them. What's the problem really?

In a vacuum Ur-Child and Calamity would be ok (even if both of them using the same trick is kind of lame) but because so many other bosses use bullshit summons them also having the same shit stands out negatively.

May 20th will be the announcement.

nah, they'll announce Etrian Odyssey The Untold Animation, Etrian Arena (featuring your favourite Untold and Untold 2 characters!), and Etrian Odyssey Untold: Dancing All Night.

Getting wall grimoires isn't that expensive. Remember that you'll be using levels 4~6, not 10. You should have enough of those by the end of the second stratum.

In the case os Scylla, what do you do when she starts summoning more than one tentacle per turn then? Go after them and let Scylla crush you in the while? Sure it's risky to let the tentacles be but diverting your party's damage form the boss into the tentacles is falling right into her trap. You're better off making sure Scylla can't use her dangerous attacks than trying to cut the Hydra's heads.

Of course mirror shield is tied to summon rather than destruction but the two are related: if you never destroy the core, it will never be resummoned which in turn means mirror shield will never be used in that fight. Of course that's of little importance if you can 2-3 shot the dragon, but on the other hand why even bother with the core if the fight won't last enough for it to get into full throttle?

As for the great dragon, it is very likely that the core will reach unsustainable damage before you can finish it off, so you're still required to shield yourself from both sources AND you will have been doing little to no damage to the dragon. Yes, you need to put someone on constant fire wall duty and someone else protecting from the dragon's attack more often than not but the alternative isn't any better and you have to deal with the same conditions for a way longer battle with more chances for things to go south. Spending more turns attacking the core than the dragon isn't th ebest strategy.

And their summons are mechanically different from the rest (kinda. If you don't kill the buds you get into a flame demon situation).
The only shitty summons are the dragons', take them away and it's all fine.

>Etrian Odyssey The Untold Animation
I'd watch it - there is a 50/50 chance it's either so horrible it's funny or just plain horrible.
I'm willing to take that wager.

>The only shitty summons are the dragons', take them away and it's all fine.

Scylla could have at least some dealy and I would be willing to agree.
On their own most bosses are tollerable it's just their overreliance on the same (or a very similar) mechanic over and over that makes the bosses as a whole a chore.

But seeing as bosses like Wyvern and Golem are a complete pushover they likely saw that they had pushed their burst damage power creep too far and tried to diffuse it a bit.

>In the case os Scylla, what do you do when she starts summoning more than one tentacle per turn then?

My Scylla tactic is usually using area attacks instead of higher damage single target skills.
Thankfully her tentacles don't have that much HP.
For the story party Link Order II 4 (even off of a Flame Saber 9) and Flank Shot 1 are enough to kill them on expert for example.

>My Scylla tactic is usually using area attacks instead of higher damage single target skills
Oh well, then we've been arguing over using the same strategy. Flame grater, inferno formula, ?fire jar? and link order II with some flame fantasia on the side are my go-to skills for scylla, I just stop using compression formula (since it's also easy for it to go wrong because of the tentacles' influence).

Since the whole comparison arised from Yggdrasil Core, I thought you were suggesting to stop attacking Scylla to rush the tentacles, which is a very bad idea.

What about Etrian Q?

Try changing locale with Luma

How was this city called and why is it like twenty times larger than the original Great Duchy of High Lagaard?

Use NTR. Anyway, the DLC is pretty much those six portraits and a couple quests to get easy exp.

Focussing the tentacles is indeed a horrible idea - but they still need to die preferably in one turn.
Which makes quite a lot of characters sub-optimal and parties not viable on its own.
Many area attacks are really costly and you can not farm any TP restoring items before beating Scylla which is just one more reason to resent her.

>NTR

EO V will get ported to the Switch and only then will it get a western localization

Will try. Thanks user.

That's still too hopeful for me.
If they announce a Switch port on May 20th it might be possible.

Otherwise: neVer eVer.

Like Persona Q but with Untold characters?
The milenum party is almost flat enough for that but the Fafnir troupe might need to lose a bit of character since more than one personality trait is not allowed.

>EOV port to Switch
>handheld mode only
>toggle the map onto the screen with one of the triggers
>comes bundled with a capacitive-compatible stylus
>still doesn't get localized

>in 8 days Atlus USA announces EOV localization
>in 13 days Atlus reveals EO3U nest to PQ2
>in a year, with EO3U still not localized, Atlus USA announces they won't release any more 3DS games

What's happening in 8 days?

Such a convoluted plot this season.
I liked the Fran poster better, his character was easier to follow.

10th EO anniversary for the US

>EOV Switch port
>70 bucks because Atlus tax

After the massive attention the 1th birthday got in Japan the US birthday is bound to have a ton of announcements!

lewd nene

Nene needs to step up her lewd game overall if she wants to stay relevant.
Look what happened to blonde Princess and Bobshark - completely fallen of the radar.

>Etrian Arena (featuring your favourite Untold and Untold 2 characters!)
As long as the game lets me bully Arianna I am on board.

>blonde princess
>falling off the radar
>specially when compared to bobshark

And this... thing...
At least they tried?

What am I even looking at here

Sup, I'ma pirate your game. What can you tell me about Etrian Odyssey Untold 2? My only experience with this format is Persona Q - what is the most asswhopping, braindead, ez mode party composition I can have in EOU2?

Dark Hunter, War Magus, Dark Hunter

Hexer (with Stigmata grimoire), Troubadour.

Hexer (with Stigmata grimoire) and Dark Hunter with Ecstasy will blow through 90% of the game. So basically what said. Although you might run a Protector to buy you a setup turn.

Thanks

The easiest is any good classic party involving Fafnir but since that needs you to beat the story mode first I would just go with the meme three.

Dark Hunter running whip, War Magus and Hexer.
War Magus' Ailing Slash deals massive damage but needs an ailment which can be given by the Hexer. Vampire also heals their entire line for a percentage of the damage they deal against ailing targets (which is often enough to sustain your front line on its own).
Dark Hunter's Ecstasy deals even more damage if the enemy has two binds and outright broken damage if the enemy has all three binds. Both Dark Hunter and Hexer can inflict those.
After inflicting shit the Hexer's Frailty Curse can increase the damage of your party even more.
War Magus also doubles as your Healer and bind/ailment prevent unit - the latter gets more important as the game goes on. So after maxing Ailing Slash pump points into War Lore and Barrier.

Add in a Protector for defense and a Alchemist for elemental coverage and you have an extremely offensive party that will kill almost anything in a few turns while also keeping the enemy controlled so they can not kill you.
Only one boss is immune against almost all binds/ailments but she blows herself up three turns after her man servant dies so you just have to turtle for a bit.

If you want to go extra cheap try to get a Stigmata Grimoire via QR code since on a Hexer it can often fully bind even bosses in a single turn.

Does this also work on expert mode? Thanks man, the explanations are really appreciated. I tried some other party composition and got immediately blown the fuck out by even the simplest mobs, but I think it's because of expert mode (they do more damage then, right?)

Yes, even in Expert Dark Hunters are absurdly broken. Also, early game is always hard.

Expert is kind of the baseline - Standard lowers the damage you recieve, increases the damage you deal and maybe changes some infliction stuff. And Picnic takes that even further so you can basically normal attack anything to death (which is good for afk grinding after a rest should you need to re-allocate your skill points).

The mobs in the beginning hit hard because you are low level and have no equipment.
That's what a Protector is for - get them Front Guard and spam it like mad You can usually rush it to 10 as fast as possible but maybe leave it at 9 for a few levels if the TP cost looks to steep for you (you can put the skill points into Shield Mastery to unlock the Walls instead).
Rear Guard can be ignored but you want Fire Wall on 5-9 (10 is not needed as it just increases TP costs for a minor absorb) for the second stratum and Ice Wall on 5-9 for the third stratum. Volt Wall is useful in the fourth stratum but its enemies don't have that many volt attacks.

Btw. armor and the DEF value in the status menu are nearly worthless since they are so weak. Get a good body armor for everyone and only update it when it makes a big difference.
VIT is important for taking physical hits so you could give your frontline some VIT accessoiresif they die too often.
TEC does the same for elemental hits but you should have your Walls to take care of those.

Arianna a cute

You may live.

Frederica>Arianna

You made a little mistake there.

>original 3ds
>playing with 3D on

>playing with 3D off
>ever

The 3D gives it an anti-aliasing effect. I know people like to do the whole 3d=bad meme, but you'd think anons here would actually have tried turning the 3D on for once.

I play on a 2ds.

Same. It's just more comfortable to hold.

>he doesn't own a hacked standard New 3DS, the perfect screen size and form factor that Nintendo has ever produced for the DS line
XL fatties/Americans and 2D poorfags can fuck off desu

>preferably
There's no "preferably", you either have means to one-shot 2+ tentacles in a single turn, or try to use something like auto lick hp regen on hit grimoire beast or die.

>have special pillow to allow earbuds in ear without discomfort
>head supported
>neck supported
>arms comfortable as fuck since joycon controllers weigh almost nothing and arms at side as normal when sleeping
>ever since getting my Switch been playing in bed with switch and myself on side
>over 300 hours of botw
>1 and a half kart /v/eekends
Etrian Odyssey must somehow move to the switch. I will give into auto mapping just to experience a comfortable as fuck ride while being comfortable as fuck.

Where do I get this special pillow

>The 3D gives it an anti-aliasing effect
It's more of an optical effect. It still has the same aliasing, only that it's different for each eye.
At the very least, with 3D the environments are less blurry and you can tell details apart.
Anyway, it's also very nice to have different menus, portraits and background on different layers.

>manlet thinking any non-xl 3ds has a perfect screen size
when will they learn
Maybe if they release a version of switch which is not a hardware catastrophe and actually has games

Or just prevent getting leg bound without needing to attack the tentacles.

I.. cant find it on amazon anymore. bought it two years ago. typed in "ear bud pillow"

Can't you just look at your purchase history

N3DS has a screen size between the OG and XL screens, the XL screen is too fucking big for the 3DS' resolution and it looks like utter shit, especially if you don't play with 3D on.

>hardware catastrophe
Yeah because EO is known for its high fidelity graphics that need the strongest of machines.

Making the screen smaller won't fix the resolution. You either hold a small 3DS closer to your face than an XL or strain your sight to actually read the screen. In either case, it's a loss.

EO2 lagged like hell, how do you explain that.
psh.. nothing personnel...

>the XL screen is too fucking big for the 3DS' resolution
It's not
I'm talking about ebin stuff like plastic screen in fucking 2017, low quality mats making console bend from heat, joycons losing signal and other shit.

I'll only buy a switch if I can view Himukai's lolis in 4k on handheld mode.

>4k
so never

And how is that gonna stop EO?

Shitty programming.
In certain quests it checks if a condition is met with every single input.
Also the leaf/petal/snow effects are not only visual but also change the battle "R"NG every time one of them spawns.
It's a nightmare.

>fire squirrels not only burn threads but also bend the console

>leaf/petal/snow effects are not only visual but also change the battle "R"NG every time one of them spawns.

The leg bound skill also stuns. Good luck preventing both of those.
Also the damage is just too much on expert unless you stack Beast and Protector to reduce it to nothing or some shit.

It may not be much on its own but shit adds up.
Displaying 3D dungeons is already kind of taxing for the DS' meager hardware so putting more operations on top of it is not helping.

Leg bind only matters when she's about to use her "nuke". Unless you get stunned exactly on the turn she's using it, it's not that much of a setback.
Again, the whole thing is a trap. The faster you kill tentacles, the sooner they grow to overwhelming levels. Let one be, finish it when another one pops.

>Also the leaf/petal/snow effects are not only visual but also change the battle "R"NG every time one of them spawns.
who gives a fuck

The framerate - it takes a dump whenever those effects are on screen because too many operations are stacked on top of each other.

this or fake

Damn, I'm playing Untold 2 for the first time and I didn't expect to get right into the feels.. today, I made a friend

>enemy uses a party wide strong phys atk which also binds/ails

Remove dragons

The leg bind skill is only used on the turn Scylla uses her nuke anyways.
Also the respawn of tentacles is fixed in her pattern. If you leave one alive you just will have one more of them the next time she spawns them.

Does no one here read up on patterns before posting their totally legit high level tactics?

Keep your bros close to you.
Such a trooper.

Dude, i know right!
I started playing a few days ago and posted the same thing in the earlier thread!
A real bro, that one.

Hedgehogs vs. squirrels when?

don't do that

When will Meguro do some work on EO?

Did anyone here actually try Picnic difficulty before? I just auto attacked a FOE at level 3... just how easy is this really?