/stsg/ - Starsector General

when

Previous thread: >What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8aRC19

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>My game keeps crashing help
Make sure you have Java 7 installed (not Java 8)
??? suggestions

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

>still no guides in the OP
F O R S H A M E

thank you

there should be a pastebin because linking images is shit

Is there supposed to be something special about the Misery weapon from Neutrino or does it just do 1 EMP damage for shit and giggles?

>two new threads
goddamn it guys

>Neutrino

Could be for shits and giggles considering the mod is unbalanced as fuck. Thankfully they only have one station.

how fast do distress beacons work?
asking for a friend

be careful what you wish for

>no fuel
>like 2 ships in your fleet
>all those remnants
nice knowing ya

now you fucked up

just trying to do survey missions man, why did i have to run out of fuel in the designated rape zone

F

Most of the modded weapons I've found are stupidly useless like Diable. The numbers look good, but all of the weapons are utterly useless in comparison to vanilla

How do I know the game is using my GPU? Framerate is godawful.

It doesn't.
Its run on virtual 98 machine.

God please teach a newbie how to properly fight off Astral Phase Fleets when they outnumber you 3 to 1. Literally can't even pull the fleet apart here

>that kinetic weapon icon near broadswords that I forgot to delete
Why didn't any of you tell me...

Now we know the Broadswords themselves can be used as kinetic weapons.

I think there should be a very short tl;dr for each fighter. Like "Good against shields." for Broadsword.

BTW.
Can you make it that they are more ordered?
Like top row low tech fighters to bombers
Talon/Broad/Glad/War/Kho/Pira
Middle low high/mid tech:
Claw/Thunder/Xyphos/Longbow/Dagger/Trident
Bottom tier drones
Wasp/Spark/Lux/Flash/Mining/Bore(+Term)
So its easily readable
From fighter to bombers
From Low tech to drones

This really needs a lot of work still just saying.

more or less right tho. except harpoon missiles. shit, they kill everything en masse

half of them dont even give any guidance

now make one with every single modded weapon

all I see is someone squatting

black market stuff is too easy to get right now. you can literally buy cruisers and shit off the BM lol

my nigga
>quad harpoon drovers
>Thunder fighters everywhere
>harpoons on the frigates
>shit put em on the condors too

everything on the market is too easy to get

I agree.
Either you could be able only (D) ships or the military grade ships should be really, really costly plus repercussion from illegal buying military grade ships should be severe.

i mean, faction is stuff is faction stuff, sure its easy to get but at least you need to grind it out a bit

GIANT
FUCKING
DILDO

How do you properly use Enforcers. Even with unstable injectors they're slow as fuck. Is it just a matter of lurking back and going in for snipes with the burn drive?

I use them as long-range weapon platforms and sometimes as close support. The former with HVDs and maulers, the latter with 2 dual flaks, 2 heavy autocannons, and 1 mauler/mortar. Alternatively, 2 mortars/maulers and 1 autocannon. I don't remember which is more effective.

3 arbalest
2 flak
4 anni

But arbalest is hot garbage

Mining when? Base building when?

lol no it isn't

>Mining when
I sure hope they make it interesting.

Did they make salvaging interesting? It's literally push one button/lose some machinery/take the loot.

That's strange. The variants for the Diable ships all still come with fighters, but the actual ships that you buy don't have them. Testing my Calm against the AI Calm gives the AI Calm two Wanzers as well.

Well, it's better than most systems (eg aim at wreck, use Salvager II, then do it for the rest of 50 wrecks), but yeah, it could use a lot of work.
I hope Alex happens to play Duskers, because that atmosphere was godly.

Considering the way there is collision damage when ships hit ships it would be remiss of mining not to allow you to position your ship in some dangerous as fuck asteroid belt with chunks of rock potentially slamming into and wrecking your shit.

Diable variants install the Converted Hangar hullmod to give themselves wanzers, if you want more wanzers on your ship, equip that on your Calm.

Don't mention EVE Online mechanics in polite society ever again.

>starsector +

>Main Features
>- Balance changes
>- Overhauled bounty system
>- Vengeance fleets
>- Campaign improvements

But no new ships? What a waste

SS+ was split into a few modular mods a while back. the mod author will probably update the other mods (which add new ships) once we get 0.8.1a

how to increase deployment points?

increase battle size in settings
minimum amount of deployment points is 40% of battle size

Settings, the second tab has a scale up bar. I think you use to be able to change the upper limit of that scale up through modifying a line in the campaign xml but I dunno what line that is

The arbalest isn't very good considering a railgun does what it does but for better and less.
But since they are quite prevalent and do break shields decently fast it's a good poor mans anti shield weapon.
I personally run 2 arbalests, 1 heavy mortar, 2 flaks, and 4 annihilators on my enforcers.
It's cheap and gives them some staying power.

ss+ used to contain ship weapon pack, underworld and dynasector

That's why you change the Arbalest damage from 150 to 200.

so it's basically nothing but no-fun-allowed changes

>Diable Avionics has great looking ships
>Every single weapon they have is shit
>All of the ships are also shit

once you know how to play the game, even starting from scratch becomes trivial. SS+ helps to extend the early game a bit, and make the mid / late game interesting with vengeance fleets.
both the Diable ships and weapons are good, they just have to be used properly.

Guys om salvage only run is player allowed to restore D ships?

Who cares? Game is too easy either way.

that's not a dildo its a stielhandgranate

>Recover a fat ass eagle cruiser
>Oh boy I can't wait to pew pew
>Enemy ships just lol 360 and fly away
>Entire encounters go on without it firing a shot
>Repeat 10 times
>Finally get into an encounter where something doesn't run away
>Enemy ship just turns around and instantly deletes me
>Goes back to business like nothing happened
Oh man, I thought flying a huge ship might be cool. Turns out everything treats you like a giant roadblock and just avoid and ignore you.

I'm enemies with Diktat so where do I buy fuel?

8.1 WHEN

I don't wanna play again until Nex is out.

i need to use 0.7.2 right? what about version .8?

this

Most of the Diable ships lack extreme mobility except for the Hayle (Flicker Core). The way the variants are designed you'd think they're all meant for a Wanzer carrier fleet.

I've found ok success with the magic missile and the artassault revolvers but no other weapon really stands out. Not sure how the IBIS fares against the flak cannons though flak cannons is probably better. I tried the state beam and honestly had no clue how to use it properly when graviton beam worked better for shield flux buildup.

why

the state beam is one of the few diable weapons I don't find useful. recson cannons (come in small and medium variants) are very usefull for long range shield busting, and most of their missile systems are very good. also, a lot of the larger diable combat vessels come with flight decks, so make sure you're taking advantage of that as well and fit some wanzers.

soon(tm)

A lot of their weapons stand as intermediaries between two vanilla ones, but synergize well with the "Advanced Avionics" hullmod that raises their range and precision over time. So they have to rely on Wanzers early on for cover and distraction, and when they expended the rapid replacements they have the built-in hullmod starts to kick in.

whats the memest faction to join and why?

I'm a fan of the draft.
Stick a kinetic gun on the front and a bunch of point defense missiles then set it to guard a priority target and it does wonders.

You don't need to use 0.7.2, but that's the version where all the mods work right now, could be a month or more until 8.1 is released and the major mods start to be updated.

What do you mean memest?
>Trijews for high tech and lot of shekels
>Path for Jihad and snackbars
>Church for crusade
>Diktat for lobsters
Choose your poison

nex doesnt seem to work with 8.0 though

Yeah, Nex, Dyna, BRDY, and a couple of other mods will require 8.1.

Lobsters from space North Korea.

>Decreased amount of money gained by turning in AI cores to Tri-Tachyon, Independents, and Sindrian Diktat (2-3x base to 1.25-1.5x base)

starsector +

more like starsector + unfun

well, does it make a difference? after all theres no real faction features in the game other than meme ships

In my experience, the ibis sucks but the diable laser point defense thing is really good - better than the burst PD laser for killing missiles and almost as good as the burst PD when hitting an enemy's armor/hull.

The best PD I've seen so far though is probably some flak cannon thing that fires slowly but can take out an entire tightly knit pack of missiles with one shot. idk what it was, since it was the AI using it, but it was pretty effective.

Also make sure you set your PD lasers to alternate fire so they don't all shoot the same missiles

Diable ships being pretty much completely commission locked or war salvage is a pain in the ass especially with outer terminal and 99es out in the middle of nowhere. The basic merchant for Diable is also crazy stingy, I've never seen him sell anything higher than a frigate, not even a Calm or a Derecho

desu I never turned them into those groups anyways - always whatever faction I was trying to get more ships and stuff from (usually shadowyards, diable, ora, etc)

speaking of which, does better relations with a faction actually unlock and make available more of their ships/equipment without needing a commission or have I just been memeing myself

Anyone have a map seed where the core worlds have no nebulas in/around them at all?

A sort of civilization in the heart of wilderness thing?

I'm not sure if there's still bounty fleets around that use Diable ships, capturing them to repurpose would be a lot more preferable than a commission with them

You've been memeing yourself.

Military equipment needs reputation + commision, however, the real low-tier military stuff can be acquired with just reputation.

That is a SS+ feature I believe. Vanilla only does pirates and rarely faction's deserters if you are friendly with them.

>Military equipment needs reputation + commision
Can't you just mod this away in the savefiles?

Yeah I thought so. I've seen Deserters but they just end up using Hegemony shit anyways I think

Yes, an user explained how to do it last thread, search that if you're interested.

daily reminder to NOT fall for the industry meme
>streamlines gameplay so you're not setting waypoints to empty rocks a gazillion times
>no more easy money/rep from wAIfu cores because you're blowing everything up instead, even 25% difficulty salvages
>you're blowing up precious wAIfu cores and rare hullmods which is FUN
>extra d-mods on your wrecks for extra difficulty
>no longer are you annoyed that you have more money than rep and can't buy top tier ships because of wAIfu core trade because you have NEITHER money and rep now

>Just mod the faction files to remove commissions.
That's not really explaining it.

what the fuck is going on, I just discovered this game.

and Im being... what is this... what is this feeling? could it be... hope was called? HOPE!?

should I get into this game? it is worth it? what can I xpect from it?

My bad, it was last LAST thread.

You have been rused.
Game is in closed beta and you can not get it without invite.

>lvl 43
wut

>extra d-mods for difficulty
>t. 5 skills in combat and above max level
animeshitters everyone

is it possible to join the luddic path?