/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Cabin in the Wood edition
Previous thread >>

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558
pastebin.com/E3dWiELj
pastebin.com/1dZH5FTv
youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0
pastebin.com/DxTRhS3F
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12743
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oops link to old thread

C-can dorfs and elff love each other?

No.
Get out

Has fps death been solved yet.

"lol"

Yes dont listen to anyone else
Love can never be wrong
Unless it's a male elf

what if the male elf is a bottom for the male dwarf :3

Modanon here, place your modding requests upon me and they shall be (eventually) fulfilled!

all of my files can be downloaded here
dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558
i recommend not touching the older versions of my mods and the necromorph one as they can be buggy.

Also my dwarf fortress crashed after i had gone trough over 100 books (probably more) from a necromancer tower to get the ones that actually have the secrets of life and death to bring to my fort(s).
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

I recommend starting out in Veeky Forumsstation if you ever decide to try out the game. Veeky Forumsstation is full of elitist namefags (the other people there are cool though) and the server has less people maintaining the codebase whereas Veeky Forumsstation keeps getting updates almost daily by multiple people.

Since Urist.mctreehugger here seems to like those tree loving hippies so much how about he gets thrown into upright wooden spikes from the top of the highest tower. See how much mother nature loves him back eh?

>male elf bottom

They can be friends but nothing romantic (yet) it's in the pipeline though eventually along with every other race

speaking of someone should ask toady how that would even work between an elf/dwarf or kobold/human

oh my

What's wrong with rectangle/square forts?

How would pregnancies work then? Or would they just not produce babies?

Or maybe we'll be getting hybrid races?

Lacks in geometry and theology
Not aesthetic
I think a spherical fortress layout is more efficient

Do underground rivers exist? Are chasms still a thing?

I've never found an underground river, but I have found underground seas and lakes. Chasms are not a thing, but you'll sometime find crazy deep pits
>I think a spherical fortress layout is more efficient
Please explain this. I'd expect all the little corner-y bits to be wasted space, whereas rectanglular rooms can interlock nicely

Underground pools of water exist, but nothing like the flowing aboveground rivers. Chasms are gone, but occasionally you'll have vertical passages that cut through multiple cavern levels, or magma pipes as high as the first cavern level stretching all the way down to the magma sea, regardless of volcanoes in the area.

guys how do you deal with aquifers I've tried channeling them pumping em out but nothing seems to let me dig through into the stone layer ;_;

That's NOT a Beak Dog

I want to turn a fort into an inter-species breeding ground full of elves and humans and dwarves.

I've been playing this game for fucking years and I still can't manage aquifer's, I dfhack them away every time

repostan for Boldbolds

Good to see you user,how's the hobbit race coming along?

same lol

Havent started on it yet but its the next thing in the list of things im doing i belive.
Do you want them to be like regular fantasy hobbits or are they special in any way? I remember something about having tamed sea creatures or something.

So make regular kobolds more deadly and larger? Got it. I wonder what kind of effect this will have when kobold populations can defend themselves against something bigger than a cat.

Speaking of kobolds i saw my very first kobold necromancer. I have no idea how thats even possible but the thought of such a small thing commanding huge armies of undead amuses me.

What environments are top tier comfy for an above ground farming hamlet?

Taking names for my new fort using 's dinosaur mod. The fort is located in a tropical wetland near a volcano, our fortress is going to be built around the volcano with the mission of taming as many deadly beasts as possible and training them to kill the unworthy. All non-dwarves are to be fed to the hungry beasts. Strike the earth!

On one of the islands here.

well if they could somehow settle near the ocean that'd be pretty neato & bring along any aquatic creatures though it may need some tags added so they can breath on land

A couple of questions.
Context:I built the floodgates during winter. I channeled through two layers of ice and built it on the edge of where i thought the water was flowing off of.
I thought this was a waterfall, but there is no mist. So is it just running down a slope into the two other smaller streams?

I have queued up several times to link the floodgates to the lever. My dwarves respond with cannot access site. They built the floors fine and the lever, only thing that changed during that time are the merchants arriving.

Are floodgates constructed closed? If so there seems to be water still flowing through my floodgates. Shouldn't the water eventually drain off the map?

World size?
Also what kind of autism enables you to make beautiful worlds like that?

how do you pull off that mountain arrangement?

All the autism, 129x129.

pastebin.com/E3dWiELj

bless you

how did you made maps have both poles, can't remember

>177776

> [POLE:NORTH_AND_SOUTH]

Clearly I did the cave-in wrong somehow,lost my broker & her daughter that was born less then a week

>176
>177776
what did they mean by this?

Seems successful to me.

Gesundheit?

pastebin.com/1dZH5FTv

ok, so I swear I saw goblins on the civs section of the embark screen, but I just pressed c in game and I only have kobolds. I just tried copy-pasting the goblin section of entity_default.txt under the kobold header. Any idea if this will give me sieges & ambushes, or do I need to reembark?

If you saw them on embark then they're there, you can't really change entity_default after making a world, and the gobs will show up on the civs screen after they attack once.

>Please explain this
Pathfinding I assume. Central storage minimizing haul distances.

>fucking titan comes to my base
>titan finds dorf who is planting shit above ground
>rips his head off
>starts farm on fire
>starts storming the gates
>military attacks it
>all get gibbed
from fine to F.U.B.A.R in 2 minutes

So I'm like 18 levels deep and haven't hit cavern yet. I'm starting to get worried because it's tundra and I have no wood.

delet this

Did you try taking some Viagrist?

18 is nothing. Dig more.

>strange mood woodcrafter requests silk and logs

BY ARMOK, DIG FASTER

One last idea regarding the kobolds - if they were between the size of a dwarf and a human, would they be able to wear armor from both races?

Thanks for taking on my big kobolds idea. I've tried modding in the past but it seems like the layers of RAWs knowledge required can get pretty complex very quickly, even with other peoples' work for reference.

The dang gobbos. Green pricks.

>wasted space

If you prefer the look of rectangular rooms neatly interlocking just for the sake of space then be my guest, but there's a lot of room to play with.

>tavern goers totally ignoring the warfare outside

Nice.

>tfw you found the cavern but the poor bastard went crazy and had to be put down

Shameless self bump
Why are my dwarves cancelling the connect lever to floodgate action after successfully completing the lever and floor
Are floodgates constructed closed?

Toady is going to have to really start working on performance. So much shit is getting added that adds depth to the game that pretty soon you're not going to be able to experience everything before your fortress simply shits itself from fps death.

Alright, so I have some miners assigned to a squad, but whenever I give them orders, they drop their picks even though I have picks set as their weapons. What gives?

What texture pack?

yes, they're constructed closed.
also, in order to link gates to a lever you need to have walkable space adjacent on the same z-level.

dig or build a staircase, and then put any walkable surface in front of the floodgates

or wait until winter and then excavate ice and connect them again.

I really hope Toady implements some really unique and powerful magical artifacts. I'd love to have a large shield artifact in the middle of my fortress which can be projected around an area for defense, or even a holy artifact for use in evil areas to keep various evil creatures and syndromes at bay.

youtube.com/watch?v=AEtbFm_CjE0

Water update when?

This will never not be horrifying.

>tfw I never embark in mountains
>tfw I never embark on an aquifer
>tfw my site is always completely flat
>tfw I never build in white stone because it's hard to look at when smoothed
What autismo things do you guys do in your games?

Your sacrifice will not be forgotten

Endlessly fuck around with worldgen shit?

pastebin.com/DxTRhS3F

CLA 18x

It's the second option on the list in the LNP.

Whats the big difference between shields and bucklers defensively?

Are shields just better or is it situational

Shields block better. Bucklers are lighter. Almost never a reason to use bucklers except for flavor.

Huh, I never checked much beyond the block rate tag being lower and bashworthiness being lower for bucklers.

There was a science thread on bay12 some years ago. The conclusion was that shields had a small but significant block chance over bucklers (can't remember the %) and that adding shields increased block chance slightly for each additional shield, with sharply diminishing returns (can't remember those numbers either). I would find the thread for you but I don't want to.

>woman

>not wanting an elf gf (male)
What are you, a faggot?

I knew about the stacking shields thing but can't recall testing on the buckler rate, but it makes sense.

>miners in the military
Don't do that.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1451

Just found this new ninedot pic on bay12.

Pls no benis ban.

It also looks like that one is hosted on patron, so I guess ninedot's patreon page is where he uploads his stuff nowadays.

Too bad I lost the url there.

Thank you for the reply. Makes perfect sense now, i missed the end of winter when i made the lever and tried connecting them.

Dangerously deadly dorf ding-dong.

All I want in dwarf fort is an bug race with four castes that plays like dwarves in fortmod.
Castes of corse would be queen only female that can breed gives live birth she would be big and slow with some starting skill in nobility abilitys.
Drone starting skills in labor tasks and they would be fast but weak and the most common non breeding females
Soldier caste would be the males second most common they would have natural armor and scorpion tails that paralize.
Last would be scouts non breeding fliers that are basically drones with wings.

desu the scouts should be the ones that go out and start colonies
for example look at termites.
they send out so many winged scouts to try and find suitable ground for a queen to start a new colony.

You know, now that I think of it, if you take the size of a tile in DF into consideration, a 2x1 tiles room is pretty fucking spacious.

It is.

Most dwarves won't have any complaints about it either.

Giving them 2x2 or larger is mostly a matter of fort aesthetics for me.

Well yeah, I give 2x2 to everyone, and 5x5 to nobles.
Fucking 15x15 meters rooms for nobles
My apartment isn't even half as fucking big

Jurassic Fort

I'm thinking of learning dwarf fortress over the semester break, does anyone have starting tips to lower the learning curve?

Just use the Wiki.

>Read the OP
>Use the tutorials
>Read the wiki
>Come back after a week and shitpost about fort aesthetic

I really want to play the latest edition but I am useless with LNP because I like all the lame options and switching tilesets easily.

LNP for the latest edition when?

While I agree with the main sentiment in your post, you seem to have gotten the dimensions wrong.

Each square is 2x2 meters wide (and 3 meters high). So your noble rooms would be 10x10 meters.

Still larger than the average flat, though.

Ah, right, sorry, I thought they were 3x3x2.
Still, it's then just barelly larger than the place I live in.

I'm using it right now senpai
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12743

I want weapon attachment to body part so i could have a bootknife while wearing 2 shields in both hands.

>One last idea regarding the kobolds - if they were between the size of a dwarf and a human, would they be able to wear armor from both races?

I belive so, although im going to have to test it out myself when i get around to your mod.

I can never embark near rivers that arent brooks because of drowning and fish related PTSD

There is a guy in these threads who is currently working on a bug race with multiple castes, i think they were called manat or something. Might wanna check that out.

Dont give up right away because you didnt understand the UI and graphics, use the K key to look at things that you dont know are. Avoid aquifers like aids.

But what if they we're both in heat
and the elf respects the beard??

Not a fan of this new weebshit/french cartoon style of yours, Enclave.

Pls go back to your old style.

How the fuck do you guys always remember me
hasn't it been a year

Wait, haven't you posted every few months?

Or was that just reposts of stuff you posted in other places?

Shut up and post hot elf x elf action

I have an underground water source, but my hospital dwarves aren't using it and are instead telling me that they don't have a source. What can I do?

isolate the problem