Wargames General /wgg/

>What is this?
A general for all strategic, operational, and tactical wargames that can't generate enough traffic to sustain their own generals.

>Attention Grabbing tags:
/wgg/ /sdg/ /rtt/ /rts/ /rtsg/ /tsg/ /mowg/ /mowassg/ /ctag/

>Example welcome games:
Steel Division: Normandy 44
Wargame: Red Dragon
Combat Mission
Call to Arms
Flashpoint Campaigns
Graviteam Tactics
Call of Duty
Theatre of War
Men of War
Command: Modern Air Naval Operations
Armored Brigade
Close Combat
Steel Panthers MBT
CMANO

>Introduction to Steel Division:
paradoxplaza.com/steel-division-player-guide/

>Graviteam Tactics Downloads:
pastebin.com/TwMLZQ6h
pastebin.com/cgWbuPSS

>Interesting history links:
Cold War military technology ads:
vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads-1980s
/wgg/ misc Cold War literature:
mediafire.com/download/zfm69f0k91pmf0y/wgg-lit-v1.3.rar
The Soviet Army: troops, organization & equipment
fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm100-2-3.pdf
USMC intelligence North Korea handbook:
fas.org/nuke/guide/dprk/nkor.pdf
Everything there is to know about the T-62:
thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.my/2015/12/t-62.html

>Teamspeak server
ts.artificialanimation.com:7997

>Discord
discord.gg/watM75d

>Legacy Wargame General pasta and game-info repository:
pastebin.com/70Nwcb5m
dropbox.com/s/lon0cgmjfqwq1oi/WargameRD_Hidden_Knowledge_Spreadsheet.xlsx?dl=0
docs.google.com/document/d/1UvBiH3lrCFzLYnRzNzF49yVtaNHYLfi7dgMpNE517RM/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gxeWuwOXHbE
eugensystems.com/steel-division-normandy-44-352-infanterie-division/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

allies op pls nerf germans

French AT is shit

naziboos BTFO once again

>p47 strafing tiger
>oh boy!
>watch Seabiscuit get filled with .50

you're a monster

that horse picked the wrong side

youtube.com/watch?v=gxeWuwOXHbE

where is WIC2?

Tfw all I wanna do is play steel division but I'm stuck at work :(

what kind of work? can you play at work?

>tfw finished work but too tired to play steel division

>working in house
>no time for SD
>enough time to complain on /wgg/!

Never hopefully, Massive is under Ubisoft now.

>anime
out

German divisions need to be buffed

So this is the power of german engineering

Unfortunately not. Work in a shop. And there are asshole calling and coming in wanting help all the time

Will this break wehraboos?

ayy

Ok, how do I calculate HE damage required to blow up vehicle?

Does it have to be open topped?

I know that Rocket fighter can kill jeep/motorbike/truck with one rocket run

I've noticed that I can blow up bren-like lights wih 1 AV with one run as well, 2 out of 3 times.

for AV 2 and 3, I usually use 2 rocket fighters at once, but its usually 50/50 chance or even less. Are there any data that can help me out here?

Tank Warfare is that good shit

you see kamerade, this is a prototype Fallschirmpanzerjägerbombe 38(t) für 7,62 cm PaK 36 Ausführung B (FsPzJgBm 38(t) Ausf. B for short) anti-tank bomb, the idea was to drop it with a parachute from high attlitude over enemy advance, during the fall the crew would be capable of putting multiple rounds into the thin top armour of enemy tanks. When approaching the ground the crew would jump out with their own parachutes.

The weapon showed great potential during the testing, but due to the state of the Luftwaffe dropping it from aircraft was deemed too risky.

That's why the Ausf C. variant was developed, very similar in design, the only major difference being the delivery method, the bomb and the crew were to be brought over the target area with a modified V2 rocket.

After soting out the initial problems (the first test launch killed the whole crew and 5 personnel on the ground) it was accepted into serivce in early 1945. At least three launches against the advancing Red Army were performed but the program was terminated in March with the destruction or capture of the launch facilities and resource shortage.

Many historians agree that had this weapon could have turned the tides of the war, had the war lasted a few years longer.

There is some dumb damage hit roll i can't remember, it is dependant on HE and if it's open top it basically has no armour and the roll is very likely. With enclosed top armour rocket strikes has something like 3% chance to actually destroy a tank.

well, that doesnt explain much, but thanks anyway.

If you ask on the paradox forum i might give you a proper reply when I find out.

In WRD HE damage had big multipliers as armor increased. Full HE damage for 0 and 1 armor, 40% for 2, then I don't remember, maybe 30% for 3 and single digit percentages for 4+. Probably the same in SD but what's being scaled is kill chance.

also in RD rockets hit front/side armor, NOT top; top was only for cluster, laser guided bombs and very lucky artillery/dumb bomb hits

Thanks, I'll have that in mind.

Funnily enough, 25 pounders are the only howitzer in the game that have an AP value.

No, nazis have them too

Which one?

the ones luftlande has

They have more than one towed howitzer, I'll have to check that out.

Alright so I just double-checked, and you misunderstand. The Luftlande can fire AP in direct fire, but the 25 pounder's -bombardment- has both an AP and HE value. It can snipe vehicles if they stay in a bombardment long enough, while the other howitzers that have AP shells use them like AT guns would. Just with god awful accuracy.

It will please my M4A3 76s greatly, that's for sure. And my Jumbos too. But to really make them mad, the Panthers' final drives need a 50% chance to permanently fail and force a bailout at some point after deployment, since during the Normandy campaign half of all Panthers were found abandoned with ruined final drives. (That component of the tank had a lifespan of only 150km.)

Expect that to go soon, brits can't have anything nice for when they sank the French navy early on in the war

MEIN FUHRER

I CAN WALK!

eugensystems.com/steel-division-normandy-44-352-infanterie-division/

352 pegasus infantry division.

>tfw AT massacre

It used to be like this for FJ div. They patched it to direct which is superior I'm. Dispersion is probably a 3% Chance to hit let alone pen. Also, FJ howitzer has xp. I use them in place of the 37mm in phase a.

Imho*

[Furious typing on Reddit]

>*strafes cows*

When will there be a game that accurately portrays the germans in ww2?

can't wait

>*kills it*
>*reports another tiger kills to superiors*
>*tells jews to make 10 movies about it*

I think SD does a good enough job.

Look, all the German soldiers are crying children like the Werhaboos on the forums!

Jumbo will be 18 and Tiger 2 H will be 19.
M4A3 76 will have 13 AP

have you ever gotten direct hit with indirect fire?
they will just panic and run away

Not by 25 pounders, which are the only ones really relevant in this respect. No one uses the things.

>loses war

It will probably be patched to be the same direct fire anyways. Same as german howitzer.

>can't do anything about it because dying in a ditch after the ronsons blew up the last wagon with supplies

t. assblasted hamplanets

t. loser

Crocodiles are top-tier.

I already play extremely infantry heavy with the luft. These guys could be right up my alley.

>playing open general
>Doing the classic PzGII campaigns
>no music
I had to fix this immediately, but I can't get the actual game to play the music, so I just have it going in the background. It just feels wrong to play panzer general without it.

Isn't Panzer Corps a 1:1 remake of Panzer General?

I haven't played it. Quick look though and it has like 20 dlc campaigns.

but im a warwinner :^)

It's pretty decent. I pirated it with the grand campaigns and it was an enjoyable experience since you went from 39 to 45 upgrading your core troops and promoting veterans. You get some freedom within the campaign like a decisive victory here or there might change the next set of missions or give you a choice of what to do.

I'll look into it. I think I'll pick up the base game and go from there. Maybe I'll pay for a few campaigns, or pirate them, I'll decide later.

>play steel division
>gates really boring mid phase B

what do?

stop playing luftlande

boring, not BTFO

Be more aggressive

>Boring in phase B
...What changed compared to phase A? If anything, Phase B is when the real fighting starts as both sides start bringing in their siege-breakers.

>not raping your opponent with airpower phase B
>frustrating all their assaults with well-timed bomber and fighter strafe
>While they are hopelessly bogged down in your infantry and an AT gun hiding in every forest
>Not launching an all out tank assault with your dirt cheap tanks you never used on the quietest front because all they have been fighting are soft targets so they have zero AT guns and have to spend the entire Phase C beating off your 20 shitty tanks pushing in their lines

Guards Armoured When?

So guys when are we going to have mods for this SD44 game?

After the game releases

I don't understand how this will really benefit the game. Wouldn't mods cause people with them to not be able to play with other players who don't have the mod, thus separating the already ded community? Or are the mods just visual changes such as UI, textures, all that player-side stuff that won't affect other players?

>tfw watching A bridge too far to get hype for the Guards Armoured, American Airborne & British 6th Airborne

mods would probably kill SD
>a mod that extremely buffs Germany comes out
>all the wheraboos (85% of German players) refuse to play without it, vanilla matchmaking dies.

From what little has been said about modding, it sounds like it's just going to be meshes, sounds, etc.

>it's just going to be meshes, sounds, etc
SD44 is saved.

I want custom scenarios and maps but thats probably dlc only so no one makes russian front for free

Dunno desu. They've been pretty silent so far on what's allowed. Like I said, that's just based on what little has been said by Eugen and Pdx so far. We probably won't know just how moddable the game is until release.

but that's not true

you can also add divisions, edit stats, even rules, like he damage resistance

and meshes, sounds etc obviously mean 100 wunderwaffel mods incoming (allies have jumbo so we added maus for balance)

>Faggots start churning out their own RobZ/GSM/Blitzkreig type mods for SD and end up killing the multiplayer in the process as every new person just runs to shitty mods instead of learning the game.

There are already mods out for SD44 guys. Do you feel like the population has declined?

Maybe eugen should be better at balance to begin with eh?

What if everyone starts playing a realism mod that has the opposite dogma of RobZ/GSM/Blitzkrieg?

t. assblasted slav(e)

Realism mods are always shit, no matter the setting, no matter the RTS. There has literally never been a single good one fucking ever.

SD44 is ded.

Maybe Eugen were on to something when they made mod support a pipe dream for their older games.

Come to think of it, the list of RTS mods that were ever any actual good is fucking tiny. Forged Alliance forever(SupCom), Shockwave(Generals), Modern Warfare(WiC), Complex(Homeworld), and World at War(MoW) are the only I can think of. 5 mods from over 2 decades of a genre.

Also, I just noticed, all of them have something in common: They maintain the core gameplay and inherit the systems from which the base game is balanced upon and try to improve the game from within it's already established framework rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

There hasn't been a single good mod for RTS games that drastically changes the core mechanics of the game.

desert combat for battlefield1942, GT legends still lives thanks to its modding community though thats not a totalconversion

propably played some more

Players usually suck at balance even harder than the devs. For every game where modding is an option, there's always plenty of mods that mindlessly increase all stats because it's epic, and there's plenty of audience for them too.

You don't even need mods. WRD has most of the community playing 10v10 games on 4v4 maps and 4v4 games on 1v1 maps. And then they cry about artillery being OP and 90% of the units being useless [no shit you idiot, when you put 1000 points on a lane of course the only useful units are superheavies and AT planes].

I'm not actually against mods, "people" who like shit should be free to roll around in it as much as they want, but if anything Eugen getting better at balance will make the problem worse.

Mods always have most consistent results for singleplayer. Multiplayer stuff is very hit and miss. Wouldn't mind seeing some custom campaigns.

mowas2 offers modding and it produced robz which is literally the best mod ever made for mowas

never played mowas but some people here make it sound like robz is a wehraboo fantasy mod

and those people are retards who never played robz for more than a minute

Says the douche petrified of playing the actual game itself.

It's definitely wehraboo as fuck, but that's not really the problem with it. The problem with it is it's designed like complete ass and inserts a bunch of 'ebin stats xDDD' that fuck up the gameplay because MoW wasn't designed in the least to support them.

>xbox hueg maps
>complain that they increased the range
you are a special kind of retarded