Test driving a manual car from craigslist tomorrow. but ive never driven stick before...

test driving a manual car from craigslist tomorrow. but ive never driven stick before. someone pls help so I dont embarrass myself and fuck up the car.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk
youtube.com/watch?v=vTwnsWdxZ3M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>being this stupid to try something you never tried before on a strangers car

You are a complete dumbfuck that doesn't deserve any advice for being a big fuck up.

The owner will help you, probably by telling you to fuck off within 3 seconds for grinding the shite out of his gearbox and stalling like a bitch.

Here's what I can recommend to help; stay home instead, and remove the risk of fucking up the car.
Don't look into buying stuff you can't even drive.

If you have a friend or relative that knows how to drive, take them along and have them do the test drive with you. Otherwise have the owner drive you around in it and explain it's your first manual. No shame in that. It's dangerous and rude to test drive a car you don't fully know how to operate.

its like you americans want to be laughed at

youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk

Does he have a follow up video on how to use cutlery or any other basic skills for tards.

I love how Veeky Forums always assumes you must know SOMEONE who drives manual/can teach

Tip: we don't

It's why I gave up on manual long ago, just no opportunity to learn that doesn't carry a risk of fucking myself over

here.
I didn't say to get someone else to teach you; I said to not look to buy stuff you can't drive. Its causing a risk for both you and the vehicle.
If you want to learn manual, see if there's a course at a local driving school you can take. Learning on someone's car when they are trying to sell it is the wrong choice.

>his dad didn't teach him how to drive stick
this is like one of the main duties a father has

I'm too poor for driving school

good luck even finding a driving school that teaches manual in America

He died

low T dad

>implying kids even talk to their dads these days
>implying that any baby in America right now isnt the late/imprisoned Jamal's 3rd illegitimate kid
>implying kids drive these days
The future is bright

Top kek I want to see the owners reaction of OP constantly stalling in traffic and burning the clutch

How does someone not know anyone who can drive stick? I live in the US suburbs and they're everywhere. Just in my neighborhood I can think of four or five guys with manual cars. Fuck, my last girlfriend was a 42-year-old who worked for a school and she drove stick.

Leave the fucking house you sperg.

I know literally 0 people who drive manual
>leave the house
To do what?

See, this is why there're 30+ states that requires a doctor's evaluation to get an elevated license for driving manual. The US govt doesn't want average people to take on something that's going to kill someone in traffic.

>leave the house
then
>go door to door
>ring doorbell
>Hi do you have a manual
If yes
>Can you teach me

If you really want the car tell the guy you cant drive stick and have him drive you for the test drive. Radio off and listen for anything strange or any smells

Holy fuck people do not fucking do that.
You must live in a different kind of suburb

>To do what?

To meet people who drive manual. If I start walking out my door, in two blocks I pass two Miatas, a Z3, and Civic Si all owned by middle aged dudes. Across the main street there's a college kid who works on BMWs for his friends and built a drive car. My old neighbor drives a manual Forrester, two guys and a woman from my church had manual cars, and I've met some car guys who came to look at Miata stuff I was selling.

I don't know how hard you're looking but your special ed teacher and the anime club doesn't count.

What do you want from me?
>I don't have the problem so you don't

I'm not even the kind of sperg you're describing. There just isn't any manual here, that's it.

You don't just knock on their door, but get to know the person and then ask.

Or actually you could just knock on their door. I sell computers and tools on Craigslist and if anyone shows up with an interesting car I ask to drive it. Completely strangers, usually from sketchy neighborhoods. Usually they say yes and off we go.

>There just isn't any manual here, that's it.

Where the fuck do you live where you can be this oblivious?

People here aren't amicable

Ask the owner to drive it for you, and explain to him you don't know manual. If he's a good guy, he'll give you some tips before you buy it. That's how I learned, went pretty well. But tell him, don't just get in and grind around not knowing what the fuck you're doing.

Ohio?

>Ask the owner to drive it for you, and explain to him you don't know manual.

>How to buy a car with a completely fucked clutch and transmission without knowing until you've owned it for a week

Come to me. I'll teach you in a Mustang.

Any rape will be purely incidental.

Bait

Like 80% of pre tacoma pickups and almost all jeep TJs are manual.

You fuck. They're everywhere.

you already fucked up.
You cant learn to 100% comfortable in a manual car on one day. Takes a few weeks/month.

He wants to drive stick, not ride stick.

You can work something out with the seller. I'm sure he'd be happy to ferry the car to outside whatever basement dwelling it is you live in. You Millenials. You can't even solve the most basic of problems without bitching and moaning publicly about it all over the internet.

Don't go to hard on the clutch, that's all you need to know about manual cars. Other than that if you get more than 5 gears you're probably driving a truck. The last gear you hit no matter the gearbox is reverse. That's all you need to know.

Dude, times have changed. Due to ratcheting CAFE standards most cars these days come with at least 6 gears and sometimes more. The first four are pretty much the same but the upper ones are for dropping the engine RPM on the highway as low as it'll go

I'm not OP, but I had a question about driving stick too. When downshifting/revmatching, at what point am I supposed to blip the throttle? Is it when I'm in neutral between gears, or when I'm in the lower gear and I'm about to come off the clutch? Everyone talks about revmatching and says it's the best way to keep your clutch from getting damaged, but nobody tells you when to blip for some reason.

Unless you're racing, it's not important enough to bother with.

youtube.com/watch?v=vTwnsWdxZ3M

So if revmatching is irrelevant, how do I slow down correctly for a turn? Do I, for example, jump from 4th to 2nd and just keep going?

Actual advice:

If you hold the clutch, you wont stall the car.

If you release the clutch real slowly (make sure you aint going uphill) the car will start moving without stalling. You dont even need to give it throttle. If you wanna accelerate fast, you give throttle and you release the clutch slowly.

Go practice in parking lots

Lol thats true