/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

OMG IT SPINS edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/, not in this general

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb is back online, open to pubbies, look in serb browser

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1494214795664.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=sa-TSNeTK-A
youtube.com/watch?v=QpKitwOBL6o
youtu.be/d45oGNv8H98#t=79
youtube.com/watch?v=6hs6eqSdbGc
youtube.com/watch?v=5X_Ft4YR_wU
youtube.com/watch?v=be1EM3gQkAY
youtube.com/watch?v=QKnSRw_X2w4
imgur.com/a/vR86Z
youtube.com/watch?v=qfEj0uZOwBE
youtube.com/watch?v=-wmtsTuHkt0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DUDE CLANG LMAO

First for ded general
Second for can't keep it alive even with all the mergers
Third for we need the cat-fuckers

can I power a rocket with my own poop and if so how much would I need to extract out of my chocolate starfish to reach another solar system

>can I?
Yes
>how much?
Depends on how long you want to take to get there

Technically yes, but not with enough force to leave Earth's gravity well (let alone the atmosphere with all that friction).

Xrd for report and hide

And xnd for the sound of the end, and of the beginning.
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1494214795664.webm

>come home from work to read /egg/
>only 6 /egg/ posts

Someone please post some combinator magic in Factorio or something, don't make me go to the Factorio subreddit

>fire reaching to the sky
>horrid metallic screeching
>blyaaaat
Literally all its missing is blinding smoke and the banging of infernal machines.

but there's only one catfucker tho

Reddit isn't that bad user

>i want to insert only one nuclear fuel but I don't want to use the circuit network at all
Yes, yes Reddit is that bad.

turbines are noise and sexy
youtube.com/watch?v=sa-TSNeTK-A

youtube.com/watch?v=QpKitwOBL6o

Why don't you go back there, seeing as you love it so much

gosh

>>>/anywherebuthere/

Make me faggots, they produce better blueprints than you do as well.

>sandbox game with the goal being to design your own factory and improve it through iterative testing
>download's others' factories and has robots place them instead of thinking
>bragging about how you don't even play the game but let others play it for you

Yep, definitely a redditor

Well, I did just make this. It should only output a fuel cell whenever a dead one comes in and it should only make more when it's almost out.

>sandbox game with the goal being to design your own factory and improve it through iterative testing

>Implying this wasn't thrown out the window the second they introduced the ability to share blueprints

Don't kid yourself user, it's just a more complicated Big Pharma at this point.
Technically they did it when they introduced blueprints after mods like Foreman came along.

Stop taking the bait, you're being rused.

Just because you can share a blueprint doesn't mean you have to. Personally I don't use that aspect of the game because if I just wanted others to do the work I'd skip the middleman and watch a let's play.

I don't even use bots except in extreme circumstances because it feels too easy/cheaty

how do you output the first cell?
what happens when the empty cell crosses the belt faster than the inserter can place a new cell?

how about balancers?
most people took them from the wiki before even being able to share blueprints, and I'm pretty sure they were made through a script anyway

>It should only output a fuel cell whenever a dead one comes in
Congratulations, you've set up a pointless circuit network to accomplish what the factory does naturally.
How is this any improvement?

You manually got to put the first one in, then it goes auto
>what happens when the empty cell crosses the belt faster than the inserter can place a new cell?
I'm not sure how that would happen. I watched it and the inserter reacted fast enough

It's an improvement when I only have a total of 8 U-235 and want to try to save up until I can start the enrichment process.

Balancers are really only useful in vanilla playthroughs using bus style gameplay. If you needed one and they didn't exist on the wiki what would you do? You'd make your own and it'd sort of work. The ones on the wiki are only special for their compactness, not their functionality. If you legitimately need a complex balancer, you should probably just be dividing things into subfactories and using trains for your throughput.

Everything goes out the window when you play modded. I tried doing an angels + bobs bus playthrough and it was either have a 32 wide bus or just give up and spaghetti + trens + subfactories. There's just so much going on in those games that needs a dedicated belt but only for one or two production lines.

Would Terratech be classified as an engineering game?

No, but feel free to post your shit

>haphazardly smash shit the game arbitrarily spawns into barely functional go-karts

It'll fit right in.

Exactly how does your mechanism conserve fuel cells?

Cuz if I didn't have it, the factory would naturally try to fill the belt going to reactors with fuel cells and it would take me a lot longer to save up enough to start enrichment.

Honestly, I usually find myself using balancers at train stations to make sure each wagon gets the same ammount of items, and when I need to compress things down, like a row of miners resulting in 7 belt lines that I need to turn into 4 lines

A far simpler and vastly more effective solution, would be to not use nuclear power before you have enough uranium for the enrichment cycle.
Considering that each piece of U-235 requires on average 1428 uranium ore to be refined, every fuel cell sets you back by quite a bit (requiring you to stockpile even more U-238).

invite /cbg/!

/cbg/ doesn't fit here.
This has been discussed countless times.
To be /ded/ is to be /egg/, there is no need to cater to the needs of people who want threads to be more active and thus shit.

>not use nuclear power before you have enough uranium for the enrichment cycle.
But that's no fun. And circuit networks are fun. Sorry you're such a brainlet that you can't figure out the fun that is circuit networks.

II think the point is that your setup doesn't seem to have any controls based on power demand.

tfw you will never engineer random shit irl youtu.be/d45oGNv8H98#t=79

Sorry you're such a brainlet you can't understand how long it'll take you and how useless that network is. not that user btw

Sorry you're such a brainlet that you can't comprehend the ins and outs of traffic engineering. not that user btw

None of the /cbg/ games are actually civil engineering, they're just urban planning.
But even if they were it's not "is it engineering" that makes it fit here, only the kerbniggers were trying to push this meme so they could try and weasel their way in here.
It "does it fit with /egg/ and /egg/'s autism" and the matter was settled already.

The general who must not be named had a snek-fucker and got ruined because of him.
You don't want to become like THAT general, right?

>and the matter was settled already.
By the general minority or majority?

Majority at the time, also as of now /cbg/ is absorbed by /civ4xg/, meaning they have a thread.
In order for them to even consider joining here they'd have to be removed from that.

By my dick.
But we did have this discussion before, and no compelling arguments were made to include city builders here since they rarely include any engineering in them.

Nth for the only functional difference between a turboprop and a """jet engine""" is the lack of a duct

majority, if you can believe it, it has been discussed THAT many times, now stop it and post fugtorio

believe or not /civ4x/ is fearful spider-fucker will get unbanned. seems like every thread has a threat of its own

How do you fuck a spider? Their holes aren't even visible to the untrained eye.

>spider-fucker will get unbanned
>spider-fucker
wut

>spider-fucker

>spider-fucker

>spider-fucker
More autism ubiquity, that one shitposter that fucks animals.

Back when idle games general was a thing, there was one guy that would talk about sucking cat dick all the time. Was that the same guy or was there just a plethora of people like that?

There will always be that one uber-autistic furfaggot in every autistical thread.
/mcg/ seems to be the only one that doesn't have one.

There will be one in every thread on every board in every chan. We have known this since 2004.

4x games, especially spess ones: race of spiders

>electric poles limited to 5 connecting copper cables

whyyyy

they are not limited, you just have to equip the copper cable and wire it manually

Generally if the game isn't complex enough to build either a mechanical or electronic logic gate then it's not /egg/

youtube.com/watch?v=6hs6eqSdbGc
youtube.com/watch?v=5X_Ft4YR_wU
youtube.com/watch?v=be1EM3gQkAY
youtube.com/watch?v=QKnSRw_X2w4

)))))))))))
(((((((((((

They are, the game won't let me connect any more even manually, try it yourself

shit, they've changed it? noooooo

C:SL has a shit-based equivalent to Factorio's steam storage that has to constitute some form of AND gate. I can think of a setup with a hydro-powered water pump that would constitute a NOT gate, then you'd have NAND.

imgur.com/a/vR86Z

Storage tanks aren't logic gates though.

That drain pipe only works if it receives power AND sewage.

C:SL is beyond retarded, as discussed ded or 2 ago (depending on how you count)

My point is less that C:SL is the bottom of the expanding brain meme and more that the logic gate criteria is a road to madness. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a way to build a half-adder out of CS:GO drops or something.

I concur.
now post fugtorio or spess

>fug or spess
Fuck sake's user, we have more games here.

SKUBMADE CREW UPDATE FUCKING WHEN REEEE

>>>/hsg/

Do I still have to build pumping stations to transport fluids at high rates over long distances? Or was that also changed with 0.15?
What's the best way to fully load/unload a fluid wagon in that case?

Any fellow Starmade fags here? Finally just hit 500 hours.

>SKUBMADE CREW UPDATE FUCKING WHEN REEEE

>the crew just bump around walls, occasionally clipping through them
>game runs at a crawl
>2fps
>200 frametime
>wakemeup
>crash
>bluescreen
>forum is nothing but sucking schema dick

why

>Do I still have to build pumping stations to transport fluids at high rates over long distances?
Changing this would require a fundamental change to how liquids are transferred between two pipe segments.
So no.

Sounds more like a problem with your computer than the game, mate. I go to my lowest of 50fps when I warp into a huge station, and I hang around 150 in dead space. Never had crew clip through walls either.

I'm not sure why but unloading fluid wagons is SUPER fast compared to filling them up.

Just speaking from experiance. Is combat, AI and the multiplayer community still as bad as it was two years ago?

Fluids flow downhill from filled things to unfilled things. Try hooking the train pump directly to a storage tank.

Probably, just get flow control and use the extreme pumps.

I'm playing Avorion.
The X mechanics ontop of Starmade's are enjoyable.

Combat now is infinitely improved from two years ago, except for the fact that you need a lot of meta knowledge about ship building. Specific configurations of things and specific weapon combos. Turrets are a big deal now because the tracking-missile glitch was fixed. The multiplayer community is small but made up of reasonable adults and it's really the perfect thing to play after a long day at work. I honestly haven't noticed anything really bad, per se, about the AI besides that they sometimes will run into things. Pathfinding has been improved too, though. Game performance has also improved a lot. If you haven't played it in two years I'd say to give it a shot again.

It's consistent regardless of the amount of fluid in the fluid wagon and storage tanks. There's no uphill/downhill in Factorio.

If you get a full set of logic gates and make an 8-bit display then there's a chance you could stay.

I used to play

a long long time ago
youtube.com/watch?v=qfEj0uZOwBE

That was definitely not true before. The reason that flow slows down over distance is because fluids flow downhill, albeit very quickly.

wut
Fluids flow to the left and then build order in factorio, there is no downhill.
It slows down over distance because of data loss in the pipes or something.

Waiting on that major shipruilding rebalance update they are supposedly going to release at some point.

Dont feel like building ships that are gonna be obsolete soon (soon being in like a year, considering the skubmade's rate of updates).

I really hope once that eventually happens, we'll get a new influx of acive players to dick around with in multiplayer.

>The reason that flow slows down over distance is because fluids flow downhill
What the fuck are you smoking?
The reason for the throughput/distance relationship of pipes, is that liquid flow depends on a fill gradient.
One full pipe next to an empty pipe means a large gradient and a resultingly large flow.

So if you want a constant flow from A to B, you'll need a constant fill gradient between each pipe between A and B.
Obviously, this cannot go on forever, because A cannot have an infinitely large fill level, and B cannot go into negative fill level.
It's a decent approximation of real-life pressure/flow relationship.

>It slows down over distance because of data loss in the pipes or something.
Are people really this puzzled about the basic behaviour of liquids?

>>Are people really this puzzled about the basic behaviour of liquids?
I was being retarded on purpose to get someone who actually knows what the fuck is going on to correct me, gomen

>tfw the keep is finally enclosed
Time to grab those productivity modules!

Factorio's liquid mechanics don't match up with reality though, if you take a storage tank (pipes or not) at around 70% filled and have a fluid wagon at any % filled it will pump from the wagon into the external pipes very quickly. If you do this the other way around, again regarldess of %'s filled, it takes a lot longer. Seems to be around 4-5x slower to fill the fluid wagon than it is to empty it.

You're right that two storage tanks, one with a lot of liquid and one with very little, will equalize once connected, and they'll do it fast at the beginning and gradually slow til they're balanced. That's separate from this fluid oddity.

The /egg/ holdout faction has been pretty active on the Light Vs Dark server. I think comr4de is still running it

>fill gradient.
> One full pipe next to an empty pipe means a large gradient and a resultingly large flow.
Yes. Thus the fluids flow-- watch this-- DOWN HILL.

If you spilled a glass of water onto the floor, and it formed a puddle around the glass, would you consider everywhere around the glass 'downhill' from it because the water flowed there?

There's a LOT of gravity involved.

Downhill is a highly misleading expression, as it implies that Factorio's terrain has height (which is contrary to the fact that it doesn't).
It's even worse than calling it "pressure", but still similar in that they're both terms that don't apply to Factorio.

So, that rule 110 thing.
How does exactly run a program? If i wanted to make, dunno, a adder (don't know the terminology so let's say "the absolute simplest adder there is") how would that work?

youtube.com/watch?v=-wmtsTuHkt0