What are some common english words that the majority of native english speakers know but don't know the meaning?

What are some common english words that the majority of native english speakers know but don't know the meaning?

Other urls found in this thread:

cancercenter.com/community/survivors/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

literally the fucking word "fuck"

Also, please describe their meanong too

indubitable

also report and sage for not posting this in

I thought it would be better to post here because
>lit - literature
>his - history AND humanities

Linguistics = humanities
Linguistics =/= literature
Literature = humanities

It goes with out saying, but irony.

literally

>Linguistics
>the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of morphology, syntax, phonetics, and semantics.

Do you need me to tell you a spelling bee isn't linguistics?

God you're retarded

I only learned the difference, and that there even was a difference, between envy and jealousy a couple of months ago.

Also, not exactly what you asked for, but
>freshman year of high school
>biology class
>there's going to be a fundraising event to raise money for cancer research
>teacher is explaining this to us
>mentions that there will be cancer survivors attending and that we'll be able to talk to them
>raise my hand
>"will there be non-survivors as well?"
>everyone looks at me with one eyebrow raised, including teacher

All that time I thought that a cancer survivor was a person who no longer had cancer, they were survivors, they went through the experience and survived. Seems pretty fucking obvious, right?

>I thought that a cancer survivor was a person who no longer had cancer
thats correct

How do you end up asking if there will be non survivors? Do you read your own posts?

Literally

Let me explain more clearly

What I thought
>survivor: someone who had cancer in the past but no longer has it, they've been through the experience and survived
>non survivor: someone who presently has cancer, they did not survive through it, it's still afflicting them
>cancer victim: killed by the disease

What it is, as explained by teacher
>survivor: someone who has cancer and is surviving the experience of having the disease
>non survivor: killed by cancer

I'm just stupid

well this girl I knew always thought the sky was blue cause of the ocean, and thus was the answer she gave in Honors Astronomy 101, so don't feel bad user, you're not one of the legitimately stupid people

Sure. You googled lingustics and checked it's definition on wikipedia, while I've been only studying lingustics to become a translator/interpreter for 2 years now. But the author of wikipedia's definition (correct, but nvm) probably written a list of Star Trek episodes too, so how could I possibly compete.

Fuck off

What's the difference between jealousy and envy?

Irony
Ironic
Literally
fuck

Eh, I would say your teacher is wrong. I have never heard someone with cancer being called a "cancer survivor."

Literally literally

Seems like a common misunderstanding. Don't be so hard on yourself. People nowadays use certain phrases and words to convey meaning that is accepted by linguists as correct, while they are sometimes not literally what they mean.

Like homophobia, or (I think) racism.

Do you never leave your house? Or do you just live somewhere without the term?

In my native language (which is not english) I don't know how to call my sister's husband's mother or how my sister's husband's mother should call my sister. And although I can't recall any of those words, if you said it, I would know the word (but still not the meaning).

That's what I meant in Op - not words that people misuse because they're stupid and ignorant, but words that everyone has heard in their life but doesn't know (remember) what they mean.

My cousin has cancer. My family does charity work for the Jimmy Fund. I have never heard someone refer to a caner patient as a "survivor."

you're wrong

Listen to me faggot. Your teacher was wrong. Cancer survivor is someone who cured it. That's why they're survivors. Your teacher is not exceptional and may be wrong just as you. And in this case he was.

If I was you, I would tell him he's wrong and argue with him until he'd fucking check it.

Envy is when you want another guy's girlfriend

Jealousy is when you're afraid that another might take away your girlfriend

>Oh fuck my house is on fire
>I guess that means I'm a house fire survivor even though I haven't actually escaped my burning house yet

There

Go ahead. Define what There means.

It doesn't matter. Language is malleable.

Passion = suffering

I dunno if this is related but americans always have trouble spelling rogue, cavalry and thief.

what an absolutely retarded analogy
google it, its a thing that exist, just because you have never heard of it in bumfuck no where doesn't mean shit

I think you're the retarded one here.

cancercenter.com/community/survivors/

Everyone on this page is currently cancer free. They refer to people with cancer as "cancer patients", not "survivors."

not here

OP here. Guys please can we get back on topic? Please read this

I don't think we have words for these people in English; they're not exactly mother-in-law and daughter-in-law, so either out of endearment they would call each other mother and daughter, but more likely they would just use each other's names.

I do know that fuck is Fornication or Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

The only two words that people use improperly that I think are of significant negative consequence to the usefulness of the english language are "literally" and "jealous".

The word "literally" is used to specify that something isn't hyperbole or sarcasm, so when people use it hyperbolically or sarcastically it's fucking stupid. "literally" has lost it's use in language.

People use the word "jealousy" where they should use the word "envy" constantly, to the point where "envy" has lost it's usefulness in the english language. I think "being afraid to lose something" and "wanting something someone else has" are two completely unrelated concepts so why the fuck are people using words that represent them interchangeably? fucking assholes.

Envy and jealousy can be synonymous if you're talking about being covetous.

Jealous can also mean overprotective, whereas envy never means that.