This is the highest my temp gauge gets...

This is the highest my temp gauge gets. Although sometimes while driving it will drop down to a lower temp then raise back up to this point.

What the fuck is going on?

Sometimes my gas gauge drops after driving for a while and then when I refill it the gauge goes back up. What is going on?

Sounds like it is time for a new thermostat.

That's exactly what it's supposed to do.

>hey look at me mom I'm shitposting on Veeky Forums!

Get a new sender, no way that's all the hotter it gets. Unless it's really cold I suppose but even then, probably not

I've never seen a car get above half way on the thermostat

It's not low on coolent

It means your car is broken. Go sell it and get a bus pass.

Yeah. Sounds like t'stat is stuck wide open. I had that in my car. Warms up slowly, runs pretty cool, temp varies as engine load changes.

This thread is a great example of what's wrong with this board. Half of the posts are people who think they are funny fucking around and scrambling the information to the point that OP can't understand who is seriously answering his question and who is 16 years old.

Why do people even use thermostats? Just fucking take it out OP and monitor your fluid levels and you will be fine.

Kek

Removing the thermostat completely is a bad idea. I've actually tried this before. The actual opening of the thermostat is relatively small and serves to restrict coolant flow. Without it the coolant will just flow straight through the radiator without remaining in it long enough to transfer enough heat. This will cause your car to constantly overheat.

must be nice

I once drove a late 80s grand prix with no tstat (overheated for some reason with it) for like 4 years, ran just fine. Thermostats are a meme

The temp gauge is likely an immaculated idiot light and not meant to be accurate. If it hasn't thrown an engine code or CEL, not tanked fuel economy, or blowing cold from the heater, than its probable ok. The fluctuation may be just be normal thermostat use (open/closing), Radiator fan coming on/off, or A/C use in a hot climate.

I mean how common is it for shit to overheat? I've driven shitboxes my whole life and never had one overheat.

>car has gauge
>gauge isnt actually there to give accurate readings

Pls dont be this stupid .

>Why do people even use thermostats?

Running an engine too cold is bad as well. Just takes longer to wreck an engine.

That is false. Flowrate > everything else when it comes to cooling. The real reason thermostats are essential is because they regulated engine temp. If you have a very efficient cooling system with a ton of overhead, you would be running terminally undertemp without a tstat, which is bad.

ITT: the extent of Veeky Forums's total technical knowledge is revealed to be very little

He's right though. Some of those idiot gauges arent even linear. They're basically only there to tell you when your engine is overheating.

What good is it then?

It isn't, for people who actually know enough to care.

If the gauge doesn't have actual numbers on it, it's probably an idiot light. Red = bad, everything else = good. Keep in mind that the majority of drivers have no idea how or why the magic horseless carriage works; only that they fill it with gas to make it work and take it to a mechanic when a gauge is red or an orange light comes on. They neither know, nor care to know anything else.

Real gauges have numbers and give an absolute value.

Like i said, its good for seeing if your engine is overheating.