Can we stop praising the Greeks as the "epoch of civilizations"

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle the so-called 3 fathers of western philosophy, plagarized the sciences, doctrines and writings from Ancient Egypt/Kemet

European science, philosophy, civilization is simply a copy-paste job of Ancient Kemet

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_Elements
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think no one denies civilization came from east nor anyone says Greeks found it.
But Greeks are the founders of WESTERN civilization, as europe was influenced heaivly by greek not babylonian,egyptian,phonecian,persian, sassanian etc etc civilizations

I think of the Greeks as useless ass fucking dilettantes.

generally, I would ask for a source but I doubt you even know what you are talking about

All subsequent European science and philosophy after the greeks as well is simply a copy/paste job from Ancient Egypt

Greece is largely a civilization that devleoped in its own, yes they took ideas from the near east, but refined them in their own way

mathematics was done in Egypt and Babylon, but it was the Greeks that turned mathematics into a formal science via introducing the concept of the "proof"

>here's my evidence:

Concept of Proof existed in Babylon and there are quite complex proofs written in their tablets.

I know this because I argued with a dude who said greeks founded "proof", nope. Google babylonian mathematical proof

Ofc one can improve what came before. I'm by no means saying greeks are shit or babylonians are awesome.

So explain to me how Kant and Newton stole from Ancient Kemet?

>as europe was influenced heaivly by greek not babylonian,egyptian,phonecian,persian, sassanian etc etc civilizations
Where do you think the Greek Alphabet comes from?

the Babylonian proof was no where near as sophisticated as Greece's proof

their is a reason Euclid's Elements became the dominant math textbook in Europe for thousands of years over any Babylonain mathematical text

You are clueless about European history if you honestly think those civilizations had a bigger effect on the West than Greece

>Greece is largely a civilization that devleoped in its own
No, it's not. It borrowed its structures from neighbors and past tradition just like everyone else.

yes it is...

there is a reason Greek mathematics and philosophy were more sophisticated than its "near east" neighbors

Actually he said the same thing, but I found out that some of the proofs were quite complex. At leas he was convinced after I pulled some other few.

Then again I'm no historian and no mathematician, and too lazy to debate you, If you say otherwise I'll believe you.

Did Euclid Elements became a book because babylonian books were lost? or was he really a pioneer? Maybe both. I'm sure Euclid improve rather than parroted babylonian mathematics, same with Galen.

WE

Yes, but they had something to start from, which they borrowed from the Middle East, Minoans and Myceneans.

here is the link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_Elements

we wuz philosophers

this idea of "steal" is stupid

did Einstein "steal" from Newton

did Newton "steal" from someone prior

it shows a complete lack of how progress works in the world

I never used the word "steal". What the hell, man.

It's almost as though knowledge is built off of previous knowledge.

Really makes you think...

WUZ

GENIUSES N SHEET

Philosophy started with the Greeks, so naturally people would consider them the epochs of civilization, and rightfully so. They were worlds ahead of any other ancient civilization, still being culturally relevant today.

It started with a semitic Phoenician

>Thales of Miletus (/ˈθeJliːz/; Greek: Θαλῆς (ὁ Μῑλήσιος), Thalēs; c. 624 – c. 546 BC) was a pre-Socratic Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer from Miletus in Asia Minor, current day Milet in Turkey and one of the Seven Sages of Greece. Many, most notably Aristotle, regard him as the first philosopher in the Greek tradition,[1][2] and he is otherwise historically recognised as the first individual in Western civilisation known to have entertained and engaged in scientific thought,[3] (i.e. empiricism).[4]

>The current historical consensus is that Thales was born in the city of Miletus around the mid 620s BC from Phoenician parents, although some historians say he was a Phoenician who emigrated to Miletus with his parents

>Can we stop praising the Greeks as the "epoch of civilizations"
NO

GREEKS WILL ALWAYS BE THE CENTER OF CIVILIZATION AND ANAL MUSCLE CRAMPS
THE ANCIENT GREEKS PIONEERED IN THE FIELDS OF BUILDING COLUMNS AND USING COLUMNS TO INSERT INTO ANOTHER MANS PIT OF TARTARUS AND THEY WILL NEVER STOP TO HONOR THOSE GREAT MEN TO THIS DAY

Ελληνιkός Στρατός

Phoenicians made good philosophers.

>Egypt contributed a full 100% of science and this was the template for western civilization for 1000s of years
>Greece contributed 0%
Last time I checked there aren't pyramids all over Europe.

More like Greece, Egypt, Persia and various smaller groups all contributed something, it is quite possible that innovations emerged in places without large cities like Scythia or among the Celts and only started to be recorded in civilizations that wrote everything down. I expect that is how it was with things randomly discovered all over the place before being perfected in places with more resources at their disposal.

Of course while /int/ is leaking we will never have a good wholesome discussion about pivotal advances in science through the ages.

#
Pythagoras is half Phoenician from his father.

Egypt contributed shit to Greece. Most foreign contribution comes from the Levant and Anatolia, and indirectly Mesopotamia, even more indirectly from Egypt. Also Minoans did contribute to Myceaneans and then Greeks, and they were a lot closer culturally to the Levant than Egypt (the "Egyptian origin" of Minoans is a really outdated theory).

Either way, there's a reason a civilization like Ancient Greece developed where it is, it was geographically really close to the Bronze Age developments of the Middle East and took part in it. The East Mediterranean had quite elaborate maritime trade in the late Bronze age and that was essential to the development of bronze and spread of new technologies.

Based Zeno

He was still Greek.

Egypt did have an influence on Minoans

There is no evidence for that, the evidence we have suggests that the influence of Egypt on Greece was only minor.

Did Philosophy really start in Greece, what about Egypt or Babylonia?

Babylon has some philosophical texts from 1000 BC predating the greeks

It comes from Greece.

You're hopeless if you think you can disregard the effect those civilsations had on ancient Greece and then say they had minor impact on the West.

>ITT
WE WUZ KANGZ

It comes from Phoenicians, you ignorant fuck

Nope. The Greek alphabet is Greek and therefore from Greece.

You're a stupid fuck

>Phoenicians wuz Greek n shiet
You fail to comprehend that Greeks made the Greek alphabet in Greece.

Please please elaborate more. I couldn't find any proofs, although I already know they knew about Pythagorean triples and many other geometric and arithmetic concepts.
t. mathematician

Yet people always love to use it about Muslims in regards to their 'golden age' and no one bats an eye :^))
hmmmmmmm wonder if there is a double standard.

wtf I hate greeks now

They made it FROM the Phoenician alphabet, retard.

LOL
Ok so then, Euclid is an Egyptian, right?
Al-Khawarizmi is an Arab (Baghdad), right??

Ok then Hindu numerals are actually Arabic numerals because Arabs changed how they look, just like Greeks slightly changed Phoenician, right buddy??