Veeky Forums reading general

Historical Literature General Thread. Make recommendations, tell us what you're reading, call out meme authors. I'll start:

>Has anyone read "Napoleon the Great" (called Napoleon: A Life in the US) by Andrew Roberts? Is it worth reading?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatesnotes.com/Books/Why-Nations-Fail
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just finished this after being recommended it on here, gotta say if you have even a remote interest in Caesar and/or his campaigns in gaul then pick this baby up

general question to anyone here, how many pages can you read in a day? Any tips for reading faster?

Bump

????
Just read de Bello Gallico

>Yes, it is full of his own propaganda
But at least he was there.

About 50 before I start losing focus.

I'm in the process of reading it. So far it's pretty good, but it's a fucking tome of a book.

>The Arverni had 250,000 warriors at Alesia! I swear on me mum!

yeah I'd rather not read fan fic

I've read it. Very highly recommended.

Andrew Roberts is based and he gives good lectures

Been reading pic related; breddy gud.

Never realized how fucking lucky these sea jews got in their first couple centuries.

>how many pages can you read in a day
Depends on the book. I read at an average of 550 words per minute, about double average, so if I force myself to sit down and actually read, I can finish multiple books a day.

>Any tips for reading faster
Honestly, if you have a mobile device or tablet, grab the Kindle app and use Word Runner. It increases my reading speed from 550 WPM to the ballpark of 650 or so. When I first started using it I was around 400 WPM as well, so it definitely helps you speed things up.

Is this good?

Wondering if there's any German speakers that can shed light on the various editions of Storm of Steel?

He is one the most influential historians of the XX Century. While obviously there are more modern studies, it a great read anyway, well written and full of info.

Reading this atm

Anyone read this one? Hopefully its aight for the price

Highly recommended. Well researched and truly groundbreaking.

>>Has anyone read "Napoleon the Great" (called Napoleon: A Life in the US) by Andrew Roberts? Is it worth reading?
Actually two different books, Napoleon A Life is his rewrite, its similar but rewritten.

I'm 10 hours into it, out of 30 hours, audiobook of course. It's very good, the reader has a good british accent and reads the french parts very well. It's quite biased in favor of Napoleon but fuck he was an amazing man.

So is North America rightful Chinese clay?

Currently reading this. It's alright but Gates' review of it was pretty spot on.

gatesnotes.com/Books/Why-Nations-Fail

In particular, the word 'elite' is used a lot and never really defined. It seems to be implied to be: a beneficiary of political patronage or clientelism, which isn't really accurate. I prefer Political Order and Political Decay by Francis Fukuyama (I know, I know. But he has done an about-face since End of History. Nobody BTFO'd him more than himself). But Why Nations Fail does fill in some gaps that I broadly agree with. Institutions and their incentive structures have a profound effect on a nation's success.

What is a good book about the Napoleonic Wars, preferable from the French perspective? Doesn't have to be non-fiction.
I read pic related.

Wikipedia.

Just finished reading this. Really liked it. Great work by a very reputable scholar.

>book

I have read it, it's fantastic I believe. Because it attacks myths that both are in favour or against Napoleon and tries to establish itself directly from Napoleon's own letters and tries to avoid ghostwriters.

>he reads anything except primary sources
i'm currently reading the memoirs of barras

yeah it makes as much sense as any book based entirely on letters and speculation can ever be

All this fucking "rise and fall" and political history...

No cultural historians out there?

History is always a communication of assumptions, speculations and third parties. Trying to find an objective truth is futile.

>My own interpretation is very different from other historians’.
i just want to point out that it's a very contrarian book

Read it and educate yourself.

Any works on stoicism that have made it to audiobook I can listen to on my commute to work?

>Napoleon: A Life in the US

Fucking Americans have to transpose every single story into America.

top kek

Thanks, I will check it out. Right after I finish this one. Sigh.

I did, great book(s) if you want to know more of the Seleukids.

Why do you sigh? is it that boring?

>book about the >H>R>E
Take a wild guess.

Well I took a very non-wild guess and you replied to me with a very sarcastic response. Could have just said yes.

Ignore the memer. It's not boring. I was sighing because it's quite long, and there's so many other books on the to read list.

Bump

I got 400 pages in and just gave up, he never actually explained how the administration even worked.

Quite fascinating since I know little about the buildup to WWI. Ottoman Empire was BTFO in a manner worthy of a TV show, and WWI hadn't even started.

I'm reading this right now. It's excellent

Eurocentrism aside, why are the Brits the best historians?

Would you say it's an easy read?

I guess so. It divides incidents into small sequences, so you don't get swarmed by names. Every page or two is one sequence of shit hitting the fan.

Makes it quite easy to skim backwards and forwards to understand various periods of the Empire in its final decades.

Do you need to have a comprehensive knowledge of the origins of the Ottoman Empire?

I don't have any. It's interesting to me because the period in concern saw the rise and formation of several modern states in the Middle East.

B U M P

Reading this right now, actually.

It is very well written and easy to read, but also highly pro-Bonaparte.

>Napoleon: A Life in the US
wait did he secretly escaped to america?

Jokes already been made you quilt

richard j evans? decent or meme?

Any recommendations on modern Russia?

Venerable universities, a great literary tradition, an uninterrupted lineage of history writing from Gibbon and Hume onwards.

One of the best on the Third Reich.

good books on Genghis khan?

preferably with links, because all the shit i've seen recommend are impossible to find online. not going to spend $50 dollars on a fucking ebook

Thanks user

Robert Service - The Russian Revolution 1900–1927
Orlando Figes - A People's Tragedy

Bump

Its ok. Not really the level of detail I wanted. Skips over most of the consulate years in favor of a brief summary and sums up his leadership style with a few choice sentences and moves on.

I would call it a good intro to Napoleon for sure with little BS or attempts to make it a thesis like that new Goebbels bio that attempts to psychoanalyse him.

>Napoleon probably lost his virginity to a prostitute
>Spent most of his first years in the service doing literally nothing and going AWOL
We're all gonna make it brahs.

he was a good lad

>why are the Brits the best historians?
>believing this

Brits are shit at Spanish history. They're all biased republicucks. Payne is the best Anglo sphere historian of Spain.

Have you read Lenin's Tomb? It's been on my book list forever.

Looks interesting, would you r recommend?

This God damn book. It's so well written and so informative. Really puts to light how racist butt hurt southerners ruined his good name by calling him a "butcher"

>howard zinn
yeah nah

>Authors name in larger font than the title of the book

Into the trash it goes.

"the butcher" moniker came from northerners like Mary Todd Lincoln, not southerners you idiot.

It is a very American thing, in a sense they want it to relate to them or else they lose interest. It's even seen in their early education.

he was making a joke you idiot. It's called "Napoleon: A Life" in the US

This is a bad book. It's not necessarily bad history, but Zinn tries to paint everything as Marxist class-struggle, which just doesn't work most of the time.

>literally judging a book by its cover

I would recommend this book. It is a "fictionnal" story based on accurate historical events depicting the birth, transformation and dissemination of social democracy ideology. Amazing author!

>the true history of the conquest of new spain
>memoirs of sergeant bourgogne

got these on my to read list

any other books like these worth to read? When a guy embedded in a conflict gives his insight

>>Has anyone read "Napoleon the Great" (called Napoleon: A Life in the US) by Andrew Roberts? Is it worth reading?
One of the best books I read last year. Currently reading his Waterloo book.

Does this only cover venice as a city and it's architectonic and cultural evolution or does it also talk about the republic of venice and their battles and conquests?

just been given a copy for free, what's it ACTUALLY like?

Just finished Diplomacy by Kissinger, reading pic related currently. Don't know if those are Veeky Forums related though

Just finished reading Stalingrad, great book. Some real grim stuff towards the end.

Just ordered pic related. I have heard a lot of good things about David Glantz, but i have never read anything by him before.

a classic

The entire history of the city from its foundation until the collapse of the republic. It covers their military actions against the Slav pirates, their involvement in the crusades, etc.

natural sense of having already achieved the perfect system that they can take a bird's eye of view of everyone else's culture like a tucking parent observing children at a birthday party.

So i have a sudden urge to read on the Russo-Japanese War.

Do you guys have any suggestion on a good book to start?

Has anyone read pic related? Thoughts?

It's a terrific book. Roberts goes against the established Anglo narrative and tries to give the reader an unbiased view of Napoleon as opposed to painting him as a villain.

>tdw nappy could have escaped to the us but refused
>tfw you will never be this brave

How is that? I've read Wilson's book on the Thirty Years' War and enjoyed it a lot, even though l sometimes got lost when he got into the weeds.

>He participated in 16 campaigns and 48 battles, never having been wounded.

Mother FUCK

That's not really that impressive. What's impressive is that he didn't die from disease or the elements.

most stuff is in english and the bongs are the best of the anglo bunch

I'm a freak when it comes to reading, my speed is at least 200 pages an hour.
I have no idea how to increase reading speed, I guess my best advice is to just keep reading as much as you can, and you should improve over time.

I read it. Just finished it last week in fact. It was quite good. Readable and informative.

Is The Silk Roads a meme book?

i've read up to 200 pages a day at times, but that's pushing my limits. usually it's somewhere around 20 to 40

I read this book a bit ago, and I found it an amazing introduction into the history of the Islamic world.
It's not really a history of the Arabs though, more just a history of Islamic civilisation.