Trading in a junker for a Mitsubishi Mirage

So my used 2002 Dodge Neon from Slippery Dick's Used """Car""" Dealership is finally kicking the bucket, and I'm too poor to afford a nice car.

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on the Mirage? And also, does it matter if my Neon is past inspection? I figure they're just going to junk it anyway.

Got a brand new Mirage 5 door for $9900 two years ago. 33k on it now and no issues. Excellent amounts of tech, good-sized hatch, great gas mileage but it's the slowest car in production.

I traded my shit 03 Neon for a 2010 Forte Koup Sx. Fun to drive and you get the 6th gear cool points.

$9k can get you hell of a lot more car than a Mirage

$9k can get you more than a Mirage, brand new with basically no trade-in? Did you pay it all in cash on the spot?

[spoiler]This is for an automatic by the way. Please no bully,[/spoiler]

Brand new, nice technology, 40 mpg, more than adequate space, and 10 yr/100k warranty. I drive it to work. Perfect for that. I drive my Fox Body on the weekend or weeknight joyrides.

Fix the neon. Save money until you can pay cash for a 2500-3k civic. New econoboxes are pointless. Stop being a fag and learn manual.

There is zero point in buying new.

I'm moving into my first apartment, and I don't want to deal with another clunker that needs hundreds of dollars in repairs within the first two months. The Neon lasted a fair few years, but it's not even 100k miles and I've put thousands of dollars into it.

I would fucking love to learn manual, but I can't afford to replace the transmission if I fuck up.

>I'm moving into an apartment but i'm not even financially stable enough to have a down payment on a car
kys.

Dude trust me. It takes a lot to fuck up a manual. You either slam the shifter when you shift, ride the clutch, or clutch bomb.

1. If you've spent so much money on this car it should be in fairly good condition now. What have you replaced?

2. You literally can't fuck up a manual transmission by learning on it.

Watch tons of vids, I taught myself how to manual basically in my forte, and people say its one of the hardest to learn on because it requires more gas than usual to take off and in the winter, the second to third gear transfer can be a bitch.

It's really difficult to fuck up. Within a week I could drive around (not steep hills) without worrying about stalling, and within a month or so I could rev match pretty well.

I was always worried about burning the clutch but honestly, as long as you know what you SHOULD be doing, you won't do any damage while you're learning how to do it

Obama's economy fucked up a lot of us user.

This dude gets it. The only REAL thing you gotta worry about, is when you're stopped on a hill and some fucker is on your ass. Then you gotta burn a bit of clutch but youre still golden. It takes a shit ton to fuck up man. Its well worth the investment.

Don't look at me. My sister is bullying me into getting an apartment with her since she's desperate to move out, and I think it will be good for our parents.

Plus, I can afford a down payment. It's right in the OP. I'm planning to buy a Mirage.

>fixed the significant oil leak it was sold to me with
>replaced the tires multiple times because they mysteriously go flat unusually often
>failed inspection because the check engine light was on, got it repaired(oxygen or ventilator or something)
>check engine light came back on a month later, so I'm looking at a few hundred dollars more to pass inspection
>had to get the security system disconnected because it went off all the time
>replaced the transmission, which seems to be acting up again just a year or two later
It's a fucking dumpsterfire. During the winter, I pulled out from my spot only to find a patch of snow covered in transfluid where I was parked.

With my Neon my alternator seized, solenoid died, reverse went out, granny blew on the highway, lost a quart of oil every 3 days... Traded it in and never been happier.

>granny

Lol I meant tranny

How much were you planning on putting down? Did you buy a used transmission or a reman?

That's where my transmission fucked up too. It was fucking scary, but it managed to get me to work before completely giving up.

$3k. I want to say it was a rebuilt transmission, but I can't really remember now.

The Mirage is one of the worst cars I've ever been inside of. It's depression on 4 wheels.

Obama's economy was merely the endgame of the Carter/Reagan/Bush/Clinton/Bush economic cycle. I'm not /pol/ and I dislike Obama as much as anybody ever did, but to be fair he did about as much (little) as a Democrat can be expected to do, which is to say barely anything. The forces that lead to millions of millennial getting butt fucked started working decades ago. Obama isn't to blame except to say "Thanks for doing the bare minimum so you could say you did something." Which is, I imagine is what the Ukrainians and Syrians are all saying about his ineffectual and flaccid nap at the helm.

post your local craigslist.

>responding to bait