Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmel,_Indiana
youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_g9Nh-JrM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>mfw I see someone come to a complete stop in a roundabout

Naw son.

What is it?

smalltime

How is that remotely confusing it's a 1 lane roundabout. Anyways I've only driven in 2 roundabouts 1 in colleyville Texas I think don't remember and the other on the street to Legoland California

>to legoland
Awww how cute user :^)

reddit thread

The OP or the posts?

Yeah Kek, look man some people here actually have a family a real job and a family and take vacations ps. Here comes the Reeeee normie

>"Gee, this is an odd looking 4-way stop intersection. No signs around or nuthin'. I might as well stop right in the middle and get my bearings. Don't want to get lost or anything."

>mfw living just off of a roundabout
>people shoot through at 45 even if youre going past them
>trucks slam on the brakes last second and get mad because you didnt exit
>people coming the other way literally stop to let me enter the roundabout
>have almost hit multiple women driving because they dont understand roundabouts
Why are burgers allowed to drive again?

The whole fucking place.
I've seen multiple threads linking reddit threads to start discussion in the last couple years and no one ever says anything. If anything you'll be told something along the lines of "g-go back to /pol/" if you call them out on it.

What's with these satanic symbols.

>captcha: haldex calle

Suburban Detroit is full of roundabouts. Though we tend not to use them to merge 6 major roads into a big swirling toilet bowl of traffic. They mostly replace 3 and 4 way stop intersections of 2 and 4 lane roads.

I can't imagine the swindons roundabout being more efficient for traffic or land use than would be a bypass bridge with a secondary exit that leads up one of the other merging roads. At least get the majority of thru-traffic out of the circle, it makes very little sense from a civil engineer perspective.

Being non American causes such butt pain that the need to shit post is unavoidable.

>mfw they took down the lee statue, so i'll never drift a general lee around lee circle.

Also lee circle isn't really a roundabout.

Seriously, it sucks. Part of the issue is just they just aren't used that much in a lot of areas, so when they put in a new one, or someone comes up to them, it may very well be their first. As long as you have the real estate for it, they are superior to stop signs as long as their isn't a massive imbalance of perpendicular traffic (even then they are simply not much better, but no worse), but some people just don't get them.

They are becoming more common (at least in Minnesota), so hopefully it will get better over the next few decades. As I understand it, they are covered in current driver's ed curriculum, but they were not when I learned to drive 20 years ago.

There are real roundabouts here too, just lee circle has lights. for some reason we call them "traffic circles" here. We also call inspection stickers here "brake tags"

Actually never used one.
I'm gonna assume it's
>stop at the entrance until there's no oncoming car
>enter and spin right round baby right round
>take your exit

Did I get that right?

You don't have to stop if there's nothing coming, the intersections are yields

Pretty much. Yield to traffic already in the circle, and go in the direction indicated (all of them around here are counter clock-wise / right hand turn, though I remember seeing a left hand one somewhere). And every one of them I remember the incoming lane was angled so it was clear which way too go (and big fucking signs). Of course how many people do you see going the wrong way in parking lot lanes even when ever car is clearly oriented for one direction of traffic only...

Oh right, that makes more sense.

I want to hold public office one day just so I can rip out the vast majority of red lights in this god forsaken country and replace them with these amazingly efficient and 0-maintenance works of pure utility

They take up too much space for use in existing urban areas, but they are glorious for semi-busy or cyclic intersections on country roads. Cheaper than lights, and safer than stop signs. Obviously for new construction they also make so much more sense, as long as you have the space, which the maintenance cost savings can offset.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmel,_Indiana
>The City of Carmel is nationally noted for having over 100 roundabouts within its borders, with even more presently under construction or planned for the future as of mid-2017.

I live like two hours away and have always wondered what it's like. Meanwhile I get in near accidents in roundabouts almost once a week where I'm from.

Lmao Europoors really do make me laugh with their american memes, cant say most arent accurate

We actually have roundabouts in the Netherlands with traffic lights on them. I lost count how often I see foreigners just blast through red lights

There's this mini-roundabout next to my home, I always hear honking and hard braking because nobody seems to understand it's just a roundabout but small.

I'm starting to think these were a mistake

Nobody fucking signals or sticks in their lane, so you don't know what the fuck people are doing on it. So it either holds you up, or if you're in a hurry you have to take a guess and possibly cause an accident.

I live right next to a roundabout wide enough to hold 3 lines but with no lane dividing lines at all, everyone just knows how to use it.

After examining it after 20 seconds I already understand it. Why does anyone feel special or smart when they aren't American?

I've driven that 'roundabout' and it doesn't work unless you are a local.

>being proud of living somewhere too poor for road paint

I live in France, there's 30 fucking thousand roundabouts in the country, which is the size of a big US state. It's the world record.

It has gotten to a point where people do not know how to give way in a normal intersection

That is beyond retarded!

Doesn't having intersections like that kind of make city layouts fuckhuge? Part of the issue with some cities as I recall is it literally takes half an hour to get anywhere with or without traffic just from distance alone.

wait america doesn't have roundabouts? like (basically) at all? that's weird

the only time i've been confused is when i went to the UK and they went around the wrong way because bongs drive on the wrong side of the road

depends on the state. In MA we have a lot of them. we call them rotaries

If there are stoplights it is no longer considered a roundabout, it's a plaza(or whatever the translation to english of praça is), there are a ton of roundabouts that are converted to plazas in traffic heavy areas

Boston has a shit ton of roundabouts and rotaries.

There is actually a difference between roundabouts and rotaries. Roundabouts only have one lane, rotaries can have multiple lanes and may even have lights in them.

>tfw dirty slav and nobody knows how to use turn signals in roundabouts, and what lane to use for what exit, especially old farts, since they didn't exist back when they were learning how to drive

I want out of this hell.

Roundabouts wor-

youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_g9Nh-JrM

I thought japs were good drivers.

I'm pretty sure the white+beige car on the far right little circle fucked it up by going against the driving direction.

is it better to indicate before going into the roundabout, telling the people where you want to get off (UK) or indicate as you are exiting the roundabout (GER)

fuck you and your (((traffic calming)))

Considering the situation they are. Obviously traffic is backed into the roundabout from at least one direction, and they're trying to keep lanes open for people going in other directions. A single Murrikan truckbarge would've blocked the entire thing, not to mention the inherent American egoism preventing any efficient traffic.

>I gotta be first in this traffic jam
>there's no way I'm gonna let anyone out

Depending on what exit you're taking, you might need to signal as you're entering, and change the signal upon exiting.

Personally I think the miniscule optimization in efficiency of indicating beforehand is not worth the attention it requires and the confusion and misunderstanding it might cause to watch every single entry into the roundabout at the same time and memorizing where everyone will get off. I'd say with heavy traffic it's actually an impossible feat. I prefer the simple rule of indicating when exiting and waiting for a slot when someone exits. It works 95% as good as indicating beforehand and is 50% easier.

t. German

>be delivery driver w/ saturn shitbox
>roundabout right outside store entrance pic related
>only roundabout on main road for about 50 miles in each direction
>i.e nobody knows to yield to traffic in the circle
>play chicken with oncoming drivers every chance I get

Unfortunately I've never been in an accident myself by doing this, but I've caused people to slam on the brakes and get rear ended by someone quite a few times

>Unfortunately I've never been in an accident

Why is it unfortunate? And why are you lying that you've caused people to get rear ended? Everyone knows to approach roundabouts slow enough and keep enough distance from the car in front.

Everyone just wings it on roundabouts here because all the roads in my state are fucking nonsense.

I don't get it. Is this a prank?

It's unfortunate bc if I don't get into a serious car accident I'll never be able to fall into a coma and pass away in my sleep like I've always wanted to

And idk where you're from, but here in hick town Ohio nobody knows how to drive. There's usually an accident on the roundabouts once a month. It's not unusual to see people going to wrong way on them either

It's nearly impossible to have an accident that bad on a fucking roundabout. You'll end up with a really fucked up injury, without passing away, and wish you were dead from all the pain.

And no, people don't go the wrong way on roundabouts, not even Americans are that stupid. Not even blacks.

I like roundabouts. Slightly more fun when there are two lanes of tragic in the roundabout for the enhanced merging and zippering action as well as the room for delicious skids when there is nobody around. I also like to fuck your mother. She likes to be tied up and screams like a whore during rape play.

t. TheBurgerKing

>And no, people don't go the wrong way on roundabouts, not even Americans are that stupid. Not even blacks.

here again.

This is a roundabout I have to go through on my way to work, coming in either from the top or from the right and exiting at the bottom. I've seen some shit here.

You see that area with yellow lines above the middle of the roundabout? One day, I drove into the roundabout to see a car stopped in that yellow line area, facing me. After I passed by it in the roundabout, it turned left to take the upper exit. People do fucking go into that roundabout the wrong way.

That's not a roundabout.

Forgot my pic.

>tfw want to escape Europe because everyone is a muslim loving cuck now
>then I see stories like this

Should I just fucking kill myself. Fuck.

I live in the US 5 miles south of Canada. My town has several and everytime I see someone messing up while driving on one it's always a Canadian plate. Hmm

If I ever shell out for a dash cam I'll show you some footage of people going the wrong way

>some of the cars appear to be ignoring the smaller circles entirely

Is this complicated just for the sake of it or is there an actual reason behind this?

should have just made it a very huge roundabout rather than this chaos

Are they too stupid to give way, or too rude?

Obligatory

desu that roundabout in the OP is fucking retarded
t. German

naa
only confusing part is why would they put this faggy yuro shit in murica

the work of the devil

>more efficient, better flow
>safer
>you do not have to stop for other traffic if you're free to go
>there's no wondering about who got the right of way

They would be great if people would actually indicate before they exit.

they out a double lane roundabout near me, its the only one nearby that i know of. not going to lie, it makes me nervous to use.

?
I do
and it's law to do so

You forgot one m8

We have a few round abouts here in Denver, I don't get the need behind it but it is simple and not as hard as most would think...

Barely anyone does in the UK, or they just leave it until the last second when they're already half way out and it's no help to anyone.

>The km/h speedo
>American almost-dead

Try again eurocuck

>Decades
>Of human controlled cars

Doubt.png

Don't worry, I'll bet that all of the candidates for the next mayor election (who have a clue) will promise to put the statues back up. Though if they follow through is another question.

That's the 50% who learned to drive before complex/large roundabouts were everywhere and there were other motorists around to care.
Yet more justification for mandatory retests every decade.

You forgot >can be placed to slow down traffic and facilitate transition from faster roads to slower ones, instead of 'go straight on through at speed' or 'slam on the brakes unsafely because the light just changed'.
There's a junction around me that needs that. Need to do 80 in a 50 down one stretch of the road to make the lights, and you're still doing 80 when you pass them and go into a 30 limit.

That one was sort of obvious. IIRC, I made the original one to demonstrate it to stupid americans in one of these threads.

We have Traffic Circles just like that, Eurofag

hey ohio bro, i as well hate these fucking things that keep popping up everywhere. the only decent one is in somerset ohio where it goes around general sheridans statue but thats cuz the square it was built in never changed with the times and the road adapted around it. unfortunately some group of morons thought we needed to put them in every intersection east of columbus all the way thru newark. some places where fine, others its just a waste of money as the intersections that were there were more than adequate.

im so sorry that eurofags cant keep their cars maintained well enough to make sure the brakes work so they took out the stop signs. it goes to show that elitists are so euro-brainwashed its disqusting as even the simplest drunken hillbilly knows how to keep his brakes operational and understands the stop sign means stop.

these are both just disgusting

For UK yoy can follow this:
I have entered a roundabout do I indicate?

On approach :
>Are you exiting on first exit? If yes, then indicate out, if not indicate in.
You have now passed the first exit, are you now exiting? If yes, indicate out, if not leave your indicator flashing in.

Repeat until exit.

This allows anyone at a glance, at any car at any time know what the person intends to do for the upcoming exit of the roundabout. This is especially useful as a majority of our roundabouts can have 2 lanes.

Not sure what the GER was referring to about memorising where a car is going.

fucking rotaries are easymode.

i introduce:

Kelley Square, Worcester, MA.

Sup fellow LA breaux. They recently put in this bitch in Hammond and it's confused the fuck out of a lot of people. The concept of yielding and not stopping is still foreign in a lot of cases.

Yo, seriously for a second? FUCK Kelley Square.

From Framingham, with love.

Ps while we're at it the Newton Circle of Death can go fuck itself, too.

Quincy has some shit that comes close but holy fuck that's nightmarish

go check it out and blog post about it, im actually curious how traffic works like that. the only place ive seen roundabouts are low speed areas like malls and such

some idiot politician put 3 stoplights on a 2 mile straight road so he could turn into traffic from his house. They waste 20 seconds each time someone needs to turn from the neighborhoods into the larger road.

I rage every time i commute, since I have to go through all 3 and I know the stoplights cost a ridiculous amount of money when 3 roundabouts would have done the same thing

They put these in the downtown area in the next town over, makes more sense provided people driving aren't tards. What doesn't make sense is after immediately leaving the roundabout going north (I think) there's 2 rows of back-in only parking at the worst possible angle that slows down all traffic to a crawl unless you happen to have a fancy "I can park all by myself" car.

holy fuck im glad im on the west coast

Proof positive, look at them drive the "we are cucked by the French army" way around it.

Hiding a demon summoning portal in plain sight, I never thought occultists to be this crafty

>Yurocucks are so stupid they can't even left turn without getting in an accident so they make a fucking circle to avoid turning left

The roundabout by my house has a stop sign.

Looks like would be rly fun if it was just you and your m8s doin hektic skidz

The only based roundabout

This does not confuse us, it just PISSES US OFF. These are only to slow traffic down, and they cost 400 times what a normal intersection would cost.

It's Fag-American engineering to be like EuroFagLand.