Why is this so expensive?

Why is this so expensive?

Other urls found in this thread:

goauto.com.au/new-models/mercedes-benz/g-class/g300-military/mercedes-g-force-marches-in/2012-09-07/15131.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Expensiveness is a spook

Status Symbol

It's hand made

Was anything german ever affordable?

Rap culture

It's ugly as fuck though. Do people actually like how it looks?

>Being rich
>Having good taste

Pick one

Might be that Mercedes have to pay penalties for its horrid fuel economy and pedestrian safety by now and are simply adding them to the price, kind of like Aston Martin gave up on selling that rebadged Toyota iQ.

Also it became a lifestyle vehicle for richfags and now most of the trims are far more upscale than the offroader they originally sold it as.

WHEN EVERY FAGGOT IS DESIGNING BUBBLE CARS WITH SLOPED EDGES THIS UGLY SQUARE BRICK DEMANDS TOP DEUTSCHMARK

SEE SOME G WAGENS GOING FOR 200K

t. SUV blob buyer
For its size it's got great interior space because it's literally a box unlike all those other turds where a foot in width is sacrified just for bulge in the doors. Only downside is highway wind noise.

Mercedes would advocate it by saying the following reasons :
>expensive hand stitched leather everywhere inside
>hand built engine
>heritage
>demand no matter how expensive it is
>AMG

Let's be real, if you buy the G class in normal configuration you're a wannabe gangster.

If you actually want a useful car, you get the 4x4^2 G-Class

Am I high or is there an Indian man's face in the left headlight

>If you actually want a useful car,
The G550 or the G350d is actually what you need.
The AMG models are just for the name.

>what is handcrafted
>what is prestige
>look up its superior offloading capabilities
>look up many famous guys driving and praising this poser box and recommending famous others to check out this poser box

>mfw for the next gen G-class

nice honda element you got there, bro.

Meme tax.

Loaded with equipment, lots of hand made stuff, limited production numbers and because Mercedes knows that they can charge a high price for them and they'll still sell

>limited production numbers
You think only the US sells G-Classes?

Come to Dubai, you'll will find atleast 5 G-Classes every 1 kilometer. Go to Russia, it's freaking everywhere.

even the basic ute is twice the price of a Land Cruiser

My wife loves them

Limited when you compare it to mostly everything else - ofcourse you'll see them in oil-rich Dubai and corrupt-to-fuck Russia

They still sell quite small numbers when you compare them to other cars, and small sales = higher prices

WTF Did I just read. So multiple armies having many of them and them being agricultural tools doesn't count. Wow...

All girls do

If I can ever find a gf this is going to be an inevitable purchase I have to make

How does the defender fare compared to the G wagen ?

Worst because it is being discontinued.

muh Mercedes Amg

It is meant for offroading and military use, people literally buy it because of the price tag. It's also an awful piece of shit to drive unless you go for the amg one but at that point you could be buying an sls for fucks sake

Defender owner here. Obviously the better car is the G-Wagon, since it's 3x as expensive as a Defender. The Defender looks better in my opinion, and has better ground clearance I believe. I don't know whether the G-Wagon even has a low/high range transfer box. That being said, my Defender's top speed is about 130kph, and struggles accelerating from 100kph to 130kph, this is an issue whenever I'm in Germany on the autobahn.

And Land Rover is notorious for its reliability issues, but my Defender has been going strong for 208.000km except for some minor electronic issues.

Get a used on from Goonet.

To add to this, the newer Defenders (2007 and up) have a stronger engine (the so-called Puma engine) than the old TD5 motors, and a 6 speed gearbox, which makes for better high speed cruising. I regularly drive a Puma engined Defender as well, and although it doesn't pull up quite as fast as my TD5 Defender, its top speed is 145kph and it is very nice to drive on the highway with.

Are you really comparing the military spec to the civilian version? The military ones have pretty much none of the same equipment, different engines, different suspension and so on

Lets also count in the fact that a lot of the G-classes you'll find in military service are old models, usually from the 80's and very early 90's. These are usually either just as they were when they were delivered new to the army, or they've been upgraded and beefed up with different weapon installations, armoring and so on

And, try guessing where the ones you see being used as agricultural vehicles come from. Do you think all that many farmers bought a new G-Class back in the 80's/90s to use as a pseudo-tractor?

The question here is why they are so expensive, and he is clearly referring to a modern civilian version - and in the world of cars they are what you would call "limited production" because they are not a standard staple vehicle that sells thousands upon thousands each day

Higher numbers of production usually means that you can reduce costs, while lower numbers usually mean the opposite. When thats the case you usually have to find a way to still make profit, which quite often results in a higher price being set for the item in question

It wouldn't surprise if the military version was the same price or more.
The unit price of a HMMWV is $220k

You won't understand unless you drive it

I don't imagine that they were/are all that cheap, true - but I don't think the army would like spending $120 000 on a barebones troop carrier

I've tried to find the unit cost on the GD240/GD300's when the first ones were delivered for military use, but I've been unsuccessful. I don't think they were super expensive - armed forces budgets tend to favor the lowest bidder, and there is a limit on how much you can charge for a square piece of metal with four wheels and a diesel engine as rough as a tree stump, church pews for seats and no power, even though the hydraulic lockers are damned good

Still - we have to take into account the "special modifications" that went into the military versions; 24 volt electrics, headlight protectors, different transmission, console units to fit various comm equipment, NATO bonnet start-aid holes and more

>Averaged out, each unit costs the Australian taxpayer about $220,000, though this figure does not include the 13 prototype W461s imported in 2011 for test and evaluation purposes.
goauto.com.au/new-models/mercedes-benz/g-class/g300-military/mercedes-g-force-marches-in/2012-09-07/15131.html
dollarydoos but still.

You should look up just how much militaries pay for their barebones equipment. You'd be surprised.

A lot of those are the more specialized variants tho, and 6x6's even - those are stupidly expensive, but for a good reason

I'll bet you my third testicle that the price for the standard 4x4 single-cab is considerably cheaper - but they are also comparatively more expensive than what the old one would be, due to the more sophisticated engines we have today, as well as comm equipment and all that

Fair point. I remember when a guy in my company somehow lost the backup rear iron sight for his HK416, and being told that it was something like fucking $700

I've only seen one Arab man drive this, not kidding.

Everyone else are mostly black woman who drive a used model, like a 2005 and back.

>the next gen G-class

>Mercedes wants to widen the G-wagen by up to four inches for the better handling, shave 400 pounds from the curb weight using more aluminum and high-strength steel, and install all-new powertrains, plug-in hybrid setup, and electronic systems.

>plug-in hybrid setup
>electric G-wagen
>widening the vehicle by four inches - more interior space and exceptional presence
>mfw