Cutting out distraction from your hustle

We're being over-stimulated, which is in turn reducing our attention span & focus. I believe it'll get worse as years go on. Imagine a hundred different people giving you the urge to get you to watch this, read this, talk to this person, play this, etc. that's what's happening to our brains at times:

>You Now Have a Shorter Attention Span Than a Goldfish:

time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/

here's a video that brilliantly describes what I'm talking about:

youtube.com/watch?v=cKaWJ72x1rI

Indeed, go back to even the early 2000s - pre web 2.0 with broadband internet/faster processors/4G & smart phones - Life was just slow enough be less distracted with this & that, & in turn made it easier to stay focused on whatever it was you were doing - even if it was just downloading music or playing video games - you were still doing so without 15 different tabs, apps, & text messages open.

Distraction can cause hours of delayed time, along with weakening your retention. To combat being scatterbrained, I propose some of the following:

+ We split our internet into strict separated portions throughout the day. That's not to say that you'll have a tight schedule - you can switch what you do at different times throughout the week - but they HAVE to be split apart from each other at different times of the day.

+ Leaving your phone in your room with the notification volume up, or perhaps away from your sight while you're in that room would help, too. Not doing other things on the computer/tablet while watching entertainment & videos will also be a must.

+ 100% avoid being on the phone when being with someone unless you know that it'll add to the conversation. Leaving the phone at the very least in your pocket while being with someone is another must.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU
huffingtonpost.com/laurie-hollman-phd/effects-of-screen-time-on_b_11407544.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

PLEASE, feel free to add to this. As a society we need to become more authentic, with real dedicated interest and drive

Good suggestions user. If you want to go to the root of the problem, distraction is really just a lack of seriousness.

A person who is serious will intuitively turn off his phone and not multi task. He doesn't need an app that blocks off
the internet etc.

The techniques are helpful but it is the mindset that needs to be explained, the distraction is just the symptom

first quality post i've ever seen on Veeky Forums

This is the usual bullshit about millennials not being able to focus, form meaningful relationships and bla bla.

This video recently gained quite some momentum as well: youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU

I just entered the work force as a 22 yo and I'm not buying a lot of it. I spent most my youth on the internet playing vidya and being a neckbeard, I hadn't had a meaningful relationship until I was 20, and I'm doing just fine.

It just takes some willpower to read a chapter of a book instead of blasting through five levels of candy crush.

Now that I'm in the field I notice there's two types of millennials, the ones that have their shit together and ones that don't. We just let a colleague go because she had been snapchatting a bunch of confidential stuff kek

Bottom line: There's always going to be people ahead of the game and sheep, get over it.

No one ever told me I was special though.

>normie problems

I have a lot of issues watching TV/movies/videos without looking at my phone or playing a game. I have an awful attention span. I think I have undiagnosed ADD though, I exhibit a lot of the symptoms.

I also have an issue with needing a nap every day. I fell into the habit when I graduated from udnergrad and didnt have a job of napping a lot and now I'm always tired. Any way to kick this?

Try turning off all screens an hour before going to sleep, you might not be getting enough deep sleep, screentime before bedtime tends to have a huge impact on that.

ps I know you wont do that

fuck. I listen to podcasts to go sleep and use my phone to fuck around until I feel like i want to sleep. Fuck my life

Good thread OP

I think most people (including me) don't even realise how long and often they look at their smartphones, time tracking apps can really help with this. Some Apps also allow your smartphone to block itself/certain apps when you're supposed to be busy.

It's really about priorities and willpower. A friend of mine manages to procrastinate after taking adderall, so...

Read up on it, maybe that'll motivate you.
huffingtonpost.com/laurie-hollman-phd/effects-of-screen-time-on_b_11407544.html

Get a 50$ iPod shuffle and put your podcasts on there if you really want to listen to those before going to sleep.

>want to not waste time on phone
>get an app

I'm kinda behind this. I thought I was going to get crushed when trying to find a job. But turns out a lot of my peers in college weren't prepared.
I never had a kick ass internship. But I accomplished some things and always took the hardest classes available.
That coupled with decent side projects and I had a half decent resume. Then you just suit up and fake it till you make it.
Also don't be a dickhead and you're good.

First good thread

Sorry for not reading more than 10% of your post, OP. I have become incredibly adapt as of late in filtering out information that is of no use to me.

seriousness == motivation, in most cases

What I really fucking resent is not the internet or BS youtube videos or the lowest common denominator shit that i waste my time on. I know I'm wasting my time and no one is shitting on me for NOT doing it.

What I really resent is the mountain of pseudo intellectuals ready to call you an idiot becasue you don't waste your time reading 50 million books about greece / rome / WW1 / WW2 / financial markets / Cold war / religion / napoleon etc. and saying you should read that novel / watch that film or opera / read about this current event or else you're an ignorant pleb.

This is why i come here. Absolute bullshit that makes sone sense.

The madman

Well you are an ignorant pleb and will remain an ignorant pleb if that's your mindset.

Lack of exposure, be that to the internet or classic literature, does leave you with a disadvantage. The people that tend to be on top of the chain have one thing in common, and that's an unstoppable drive to learn.

I second this