Hey guys on my way home I saw this fuckin' dually Van. Why in the fuck do they make these? I had never seen one before

Hey guys on my way home I saw this fuckin' dually Van. Why in the fuck do they make these? I had never seen one before.

>Why in the fuck do they make these?
They don't you fucktard, it's a custom.

>I had never seen one before.
Because it's a fucking customization.

Why are you so angry? You don't have to be mean about it...

>hurr durr u angry
No I'm just calling you what you are for not googling this before asking why they make them.

Because he's a raging faggot, don't mind him

But yeah, it's custom because Ford never made a dually Econoline.

Oh cool. I wonder why anyone would take the time and effort to customize a truck like that just to have it as a work truck. Unless it was previously owned by an individual, even then, I have no idea why you'd want a dually van.

How does that work? Do you take the body off of a van and put it on a frame with a dual rear wheels?

I just thought it was weird and kinda rare so I thought I'd make a shitpost about it and hopefully spark some discussion.

pointless fuckin thread. dumb faggot

They made the Dodge Sprinters in dually. My dad had a 3500 dually with a diesel inline 5.

If it were stock, it's for extra weight. Plus people will tow with vans too.

>Why in the fuck do they make these?
If it is a work vehicle, then it is for towing something. They have a van instead of a pickup because they have to protect certain materials inside the van. Insurance requires an enclosed vehicle for business asset protection so the open bed of a pickup fails for that.

The more the merrier.

I think I saw this too but I got off on Telegraph

Well what are duallies usually made for?

H E A V Y S H I T

That is a Mercedes Benz.

MOIST

You'd need a corporate sponsor to get a rig that nice.

hello commute friends

HE'S A CORPORATE KISSBUTT MAN

Bump

I took the Telegraph exit too!

Good to know that there are plenty of us patrolling 696.

It sucks that the left lane is closed though.

How is that relevant to a thread about a ford dually van you faggot?

The new ford transit can get DRW

At this point why not just buy a truck and put a high roof cap on it? That conversion can't have been cheap.

looks awesome desu

They are pretty common in Europe tho

Ever look up the price difference between a van and a truck?

i always thought it was for some form of fuel economy

Because vans usually have much more cargo room, lower point of loading, are lighter and are usually more suited for road-use than a truck

There are cheap dually conversions. Essientally new rims, and fenders with upgraded suspension and brakes. Seem em for suburbans and even ford rangers.

Note; I am referring to a general basis

As for the one in particular; hell, you might be right - truck with a cap might do just as well, and cheaper

Sprinters a shit, though.

I just spent 5 days working on one.

Same reason they make them in a truck version fucctard, higher payload capacity.

Japs just take their 4 ton cab chassis, cut a hole in the back of the cab and slap the cargo half of a van on

The high roofline version is done the same way but at least it looks like it wasn't a cut and shut

Underrated post

>why would someone take a vehicle meant to haul cargo for a tradesman and increase it's cargo capacity?
fucking retard.

They were badged as Dodge Sprinters in the US for years when Daimler owned Chrysler. All of the parts had MB stamps on them. Mercedes is different in the US than Yurop, they try to remain a luxury brand so they didn't want to put their logo on a work van. Also why the S550 LWB is the lowest trim S-Class you can get in the US.

Now Daimler Benz owns Freightliner and they are badging lots of Sprinters as Freightliners.

(You)

Just saying that there have been dually work vans in the US for years.

My dad loved it. He had tons of stuff in there and was driving an E-350 with the Triton V10 before that. He said the Sprinter 3500 was better at basically everything and got way better gas mileage.

Triton V10s suck ass to do plugs on since some dipshit decided to perform the equivalent of shoving a 454 in a fucking twingo with them. 3 plugs per cylinder that always break and the last 4 cylinders are right up in the firewall doghouse. fuck.

I imagine. All of those vans kinda suck because 2/3 of the engine is under the dash.

christ. it's bad enough in an excursion, a van would be fucking brutal.

>3 plugs per cylinder

I had to look it up. It's 3 valves per cylinder. I was wondering what it would be like to have to change 30 plugs on one engine

Yeah anything where you get the optional larger engine will be more difficult. I loved my V6 Explorer because there was so much fucking room in there. But the vans are a different story. It's normally easy to take off the panel in the cab to get to the back of the engine but you still have a good portion under the dash.

If I ever become a mechanic for some reason, I'm doing heavy duty diesel. It's like the only automobile still designed to be easily serviced (aside from all the bullshit electronics in the past 15-20 years)

I'm sure that would be a better gig than hauling carbonated communism.
I do some diesel mechanic shit kinda on the side and I like to stay in strictly offroad trucks or heavy equipment. road trucks are all too fucking electronic for me.

Yeah offroad would def be better. Or around here lots of large and important buildings have big ass diesel engines for generators. Like train or boat sized engines. That would be nice to work on because most of them are in their own room.

I would say boat too because they don't have the emissions, but I'm guessing working in the engine room/bay of many boats is just about as bad as working on a Nissan or Mitsubishi.

That electronic bullshit will come to the off-road side soon. If Trump wasn't president, you would be pouring DEF into the bucket loader right now.

>automobile mechanic

C'mon bepis. You should know generators and heavy equipment are as comfy as it gets for a mechanic.

genset work is alright from what I hear, but the electrical is a pain. if you stay on the motor side it's good money.

>you would be pouring DEF into the bucket loader right now.
oh don't worry friendo, cat and JD already make you. fucking things throw a code if they don't have enough piss to regen with.

Unless you are rewinding the generator itself the electrical isn't all that tedious once you have a good understanding on what you do. You actually get paid better, better than the grease monkey because really unless the engine guy is doing a rebuild it is very basic shit.

Does something like actually make a difference in the weight you can carry?

I am not sure about the legal side of it but once the frame and springs are equivalent to the "upgrade" then yes.

Suspension and brakes will help a lot, but there will always be a weak point. Then you need more power, but you do that and the trans will overheat or fry. So you get a bigger trans with a cooler and then the diff or axles can't handle it once you go too far.

I've seen a few

Duallies a best.

God damn that's awesome.

I think these are the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen.

ah yush

Do duallies give you double the grip on your drive wheels, transferring to better acceleration?

In would in fact if you had a significant load weighing down the rear of the vehicle. But the primary purpose is a higher load rating for the rear axle and - at least on American pickup trucks with wide fenders - better towing stability from the wider track.

Those tires must be insanely expensive though. I You can't use light duty tire on any duallie, can you? Don't all dualies requite medium duty truck tires?

This is false. While there is some weight added, you are forgetting that you are increasing the contact patch by another 100%

>Fenders increase stability

The rear track on a tow machine F350 is 71.1" and the rear track on a dually transit is 68.8". A 3% difference. I guess the F350 is the tow machine because it has fenders? Every inch of fender adds 40% towing capability?

Actual truck wheels have inch and a half dimensions. The rest are just light truck

This is my fetish

Look at the price of semi truck tires. Now that is fun. For guys who own their own truck and trailer, i'm sure it's fun when they have to change 18+ of them.

They also make "Super Singles" but that's a whole different issue.

Yes? But that's not really the primary purpose. If you're towing a shit ton of weight, you probably don't want to be breaking traction when you accelerate.

That being said, I have drifted a semi tractor before and it was interesting to say the least. Kinda scary too because you are sitting up so high in such a big vehicle. But when you drive a semi tractor with no trailer, there is suprisingly little body roll which is cool. SUVs roll way more.

for the same reason they make dually trucks, so you have a higher payload capacity. payload capacity on modern full size pickups/vans with single rear wheels is usually limited by the tire load rating.

Also if one rear tire blows out you still have another to support you. Have you ever had a rear tire blow out while towing a bigass trailer? Did that once and I about shat a brick. With a shitty/inept driver it can legitimately cause them to crash.