/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Continuously exploding Orion Drives edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/, not in this general

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

This is the second time the thread dies before someone creates another, stop dropping the ball.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E8AdLvtrQAM
youtube.com/watch?v=pkwnvUgSPfk
dropfile.to/ZKb6GhY
dropfile.to/GehN4cb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So is this a series of explosions, or just a more violent thruster than normal

2nd for Chlorine Trifluoride turrets

Eh, napalm is working just fine.

So i discovered the ultimate power setup for Factorio
>9 reactors
>12 pumps
>132 heat exchangers
>224 turbines
>reactors arranged in a 3x3 to get the maximum neighbour bonus
>1.3 GW of power
Now comes the problem of finding a use for those 1.3 gigawatts

After an hour of trying to squeeze the shit out of these transport belts and finally solving the problem, I realize that I could have built on the edge...
I guess I like it the difficult way

I feel retarded

>reactors arranged in a 3x3
good luck automatizing the center one
as soon as it turns off that's 320 MW you can say goodbye to

Fug, i was so happy i finally found the perfect ratio

Perfect ratio is 200 turbines hooked to "29" reactors, good luck combining reactor bonuses in a way that's efficient, pleasant to look at and easy to feed

>200 turbines hooked to "29" reactors
29 reactors would require 444 heat exchangers, and you need 500 steam turbines for every 291 heat exchangers.
The best way to place your reactors is a 2 wide rectangle, and you can make that look nice quite easily.

I've got 15, technically you could plug 2 more where Xs are, but then you'd have to go underground for cells supply for 5 reactors

obviously the corners could be added as well, I was concerned about the middle, so it's not starved of cells

Rectangles nigga, rectangles.
If you have a rectangle everything in the middle of the rectangle gets a 300% bonus when the 4 at the edges get a 200% bonus.

I think he meant 29 reactors using quotes to indicate 29 effective reactors after appllying the neighbour bonus

Ok another setup that gives a whole number of pumps, this times i thought about inputs
>12 reactors in a 2x6 rectangle
>44 effective reactors
>16 pumps
>176 heat eschangers
>299 turbines
>1.7 GW power output

I know that if 2 reactors aren't aligned there is not neighbour bonus, but what if a reactor had 2 neighbours that covered whole side, would that give the first one its bonus?
AA
AABB
CCBB
CC
would B get +100%?

Nope

Fuck you for getting me into this dumb idle game, asshole.

$8600 and 13 Research per tick.

shame, it could enable some fancy layouts

What was the game with the discord and the crazy exploity shit again? Was it the hon hon with the logic turrets one?

youtube.com/watch?v=E8AdLvtrQAM
We're getting V8s boys.

>We want the greaser audience

What was the game with the crazy engineering logic shit like rapid firing warp drives again? Was it the hon hon one?

CLANG Racing League when?

F-Zero when

>that trash clogging research
>plastic going to the recycler
>that weird back and forth on the belts leading to research
what the fuck are you smoking

Yeah, that trash problem is just from the process of building. The back and forth is a load balancer because autism and I had space.

I see you don't like sorters.
I don't use them much either.

pink red? lime red? this is too much for me to handle

> Yes
> Yes
> No
A + belt intersection lets you run two lines across a one tile access. It's a handy thing.

But yes the rest is shit and I pity the user who hasn't cheated to get beyond this point.

Reactor borders must be 100% for adjacency to work. Basically the most stable reliable build is a 2x500 so you get lots of 3x adjacency down the line and a minimum of 2x adjacency at the tips.

>But yes the rest is shit and I pity the user who hasn't cheated to get beyond this point.
So post your bullshit if you're so goddamn proud you fucking pussy bitch I'll cut you.

Do you get net energy if you use oil to make solid fuel to power the machinery making solid fuel?

Considering each block is 25 MJ, it should be.

How did you not know that with building on the edges of the middle sections?

I would guess that you do get net energy; the main bottleneck is how much crude you can output. If it wasn't net energy, there wouldn't be much point (other than the need to make rocket fuel). I didn't bother with it in my last game because I wanted to avoid draining my oil deposits, and coal is usually in abundance. Solar is basically free energy, too.

So why is Kerbal Space Program not allowed in here?

Because of the shitposters?

What about honest talk about the game?

Well yeah, considering that the hidden energy input is the oil you're pumping in. Otherwise, that'd violate the 1st law of thermodynamics.

Because it isn't and never will be, fuck off and die.

are you fucking serious? half of last ded was calculations about that and it probably never is a gain, make your own spreadsheets and prove me wrong if you think otherwise

people like seem tied up in some kind of Veeky Forums drama
it's pretty pathetic

Fuck off kerbnigger.

Here's mine, it's even worse than both of yours

never played it

Then fuck off newfag.
Anyone who has been here for any extended amount of time hates /kspg/ and KSP with every fiber of their being.
If they are permitted to exist, /egg/ dies, in an absolutely disgusting manner, filled with avatarfags, blogposters, zoophiles, and other subhumans.

Get on my "buying gas and throwing it away" level.

> Running more than 10 items/10 ticks per belt
> Not crossing T's
> Two coals into plastic
Hand in your factory card kid. You're done.

yeah, like i said--tied up in pathetic drama
reddit-tier

I'm getting 12.5 MJ of electricity for one solid fuel, which at a minimum Pumpjack production rate of 2/s (on 0.15) costs a little less than 2 MJ to manufacture. This is with no transportation costs, and Advanced Oil Processing with no cracking (only considering Light Oil -> Solid Fuel). The manufacturing costs are nontrivial but that's still a net gain.

>I want to discuss my shit game and I don't care if I destroy the best general on Veeky Forums just to sate my shit taste

@176497281
Don't you have a cat to rape you coprophage?

Pretty sure those calculations were for converting coal to solid fuel, not oil to solid fuel.

Not him but calm your shit user. Not everything needs to be a witch hunt.

Physics-engine game that includes flexible tubes when

>Running more than 10 items/10 ticks per belt
I try my best not to let this happen
>Not crossing T's
Not sure what you mean
>Two coals into plastic
It's needed, haven't bought the upgrade so coal only has 2x production right now, not 4x. Once I hit a billion I'm going to get the upgrades, tear it all down and do it again. If you look closely you can see that there's parts I built where plastic was 1x but the rest was 2x and then I upgraded plastic to 2x.

I actually don't like these types of games with their retarded puzzle mechanics, factorio is way better

*roach hunt
If there's one there's more and one of them showed up a few weeks ago which means they're still active and still trying to worm their way in.

You're absolutely right.
But unfortunately, this does. /kspg/ literally cannot be allowed to even get a foot through the door, or this place will go to hell.

>It's needed, haven't bought the upgrade so coal only has 2x production right now, not 4x.
you retard, the 4x coal production upgrade is literally 1.8m and you'll be making so much more shit.

actually, that just means i'm still here and occasionally get bored and make a shitpost or two here

Finally got it just right. The right side is a little finnicky, if you clear belts/start from scratch the gas weaves with the plastic and then you get only plastic on the left and only gas on the right, so you need to jumpstart that gas in at the right moment. But once everything is running, those production numbers per tick are accurate.

I hate tearing things down and rebuilding so I try to do it as little as possible. I'd rather upgrade a bunch of stuff and redo it all than piecemeal. I'm still getting 3000/tick and 10.5 research/tick

(and yes the labs are working at 12/13 efficiency but unless you know a way to reduce output there's not really anything I can do, not like I can fit 12 labs and 13 research centers in here.)

Fellow engineers,do you have any idea how to optimize "aerial combat shuttle" in infinifactory,to get it under 320 cycles?

Pic not related

What game is this? Looks like it might scratch my Factorio itch.

you.

don't.

want.

to.

know.

it won't.

It's Factory Idle.

It's not that great, it's just a skinner box that's painted in factorio colors. Even cookie clicker is better

Factory Idle

I don't even care about how (in)efficent this shit is
I'm having fun

Our logistics robots will blot out the sun.

>car engines in space engineers
Oh dear
I wonder what purpose they serve considering normal reactors did the job quite fine

Because we need more things to break

Lighter? Don't require uranium?

Looks cozy.
Looks like a nightmare deathscape.

I want to plug a mod I have quite enjoyed; Rampant AI. It's made the ayys a significantly grumpier threat. They attack much more effectively, and tend to probe all along your defenses for holes instead of only ever hitting the same predicable spots. I am a bit scared for when behemoths show up.

>Looks cozy.
It is, but I know it'll only get worse as time goes on
I'm already cramming shit as tight as I can, wouldn't be suprised if at one point I just moved the whole fucking thing a couple kilometers north

finally we can make spengies Redline happen

>But that's another measurement entirely: space needed, resource spots needed, buildings needed...
Very relevant, except that it has always been outside the scope of this discussion.

>With your speed+productivity pumpjack setup what you've succeeded in is reducing the number of pumpjacks need to produce x units of oil
More oil per pumpjack means more energy per pumpjack.
So for a given amount of depleted oil wells, using speed modules in pumpjacks will directly translate into a net increase of produced energy.
It's not that you're wrong; such a setup does by your measure also reduce efficiency of oil.

The difference here is that I care about net energy per well, whereas you care about fraction of available energy per oil.
Frankly, it doesn't matter how much energy you waste in the production, so long as the bottomline has a larger number.
Let's say there's a new energy production chain of coal->ubercoal->energy.
Each ubercoal has a fuel value of one GJ, but 500 MJ are spent in the production.
The efficiency would be abysmal, as about half of the fuel is used to power its own production - but each piece of coal effectively gains 492 MJ of fuel value.
By your metric it would be a bad process, even if a full-scale implementation of the process (ubercoal for furnaces, boilers, vehicles) would result in a massively decreased coal consumption.

>maybe you mean something like a + b = c, where you can't know the third variable without knowing the other two?
No. The experiment has a result, but when comparing (1,1,1) against (2,2,2), we have no way of estimating how Z relates with the result.
Comparing (1,1,1) against (1,1,2), only Z has been changed, and so we have a basis for correlating Z with the result.
Repeat with (1,1,3), (1,1,4) and so on, until you have a statistically relevant quantity - that's good science.
I'll concede that this I dun goofed with the original remark. Still looking for that term to describe this

youtube.com/watch?v=pkwnvUgSPfk
DUDE
WEED

>term to describe this
Good experimental design.

Also, you're wrong and he's right: nothing he's calculating is experimental, it's all known values. Fucking plug the numbers and run the math. It doesn't matter how many different permutations you're comparing, it all boils down to how much energy it costs to generate a quantity of fuel energy.

does gates count as a wall or open space for alien pathfinding?

should I avoid building gates so the aliens will go to the choke point of my choice?

pic is for 0.1/s, link is the table itself if you want to mess around with it
dropfile.to/ZKb6GhY

They count as walls

0.1/s
Can you do one for 15.x instead of outdated versions?

I think I can finally see your point now
I've been trating coal as an infinite resource, and that isn't right; so while I can get the most out of coal, a deposit would run out faster than with the ubercoal

>mad max but in space but on planets

Not sure how much of this will be any use for PVP, but mecha improvements. Slap a second weapon arm on this sucker and I think it's done (for a prototype at least).

Bottom legs are a single piece turret that needs manually adjusted. Still considering putting a docking connector to them to stand on prepared ship exteriors.

Gun is 5 cannon/ 5 cannon/ 2 overload, which does damage I guess? I don't know what kind of DPS is great, but it should be probably good anti-personnel/missile/light vessels.

Everything has some shielding on it too, but I don't know what numbers are great for shields either. Main body has over 500 shields, with the shoulder, arm and leg segments having default 220 values and just 1 charger.

First step in the rebuild is making it with standard armor, which shouldn't be a hard swap, and coloring it something less monochromatic.

is space engineers even profitable at this point?

>hell
>In Greek mythology, Cerberus (/ˈsɜːrbərəs/;[2] Greek: Κέρβερος Kerberos [ˈkerberos]), often called the "hound of Hades", is the monstrous multi-headed dog that guards the gates of the Underworld to prevent the dead from leaving. Cerberus was the offspring of the monsters Echidna and Typhon, and usually is described as having three heads, a serpent for a tail, and snakes protruding from parts of his body. Cerberus is primarily known for his capture by Heracles, one of Heracles' twelve labours.
>Kerberos
>kerb
Are we really fighting to stay out of hell or fighting to escape it

Please go be retarded somewhere else.
It's a well-established fact that pumpjacks produce a net power gain.
Adding insult to injury, previous ded's calculations barely touched upon oil->energy.

I thought that was still the minimum? Been testing and mathing way more than I've been playing, I should give this whole thing a rest

anyway, the yield can be changed on the spot, along with any modules and bonuses (like for mining), so the only thing to fix is making sure that putting a value below the minimum uses the minimum value instead

>he didn't read the spoiler
I ran out of characters, and explictly conceding that the whole arc barely applied to the discussion, was simply outside my budget.

There seems to be a shortage of screenshots for Bob's mod.

Anyways, I'm looking for good mods for Factorio. I'm used to playing vanilla.

15 multiplied all liquids by ten, and then on top of that oil was changed a bit to drop off more slowly to a minimum yield of 20%, or 2/s.

>minimum yield of 20%, or 2/s.
I don't think it's a bottom cap. I heard it was 1/5 of the starting value.

>15 multiplied all liquids by ten
Has absolutely no impact on anything; please apply your knowledge of basic math.
Frankly, I'm still absolutely clueless as to *why* this was done.

>on top of that oil was changed a bit to drop off more slowly to a minimum yield of 20%
So minimum yield was doubled, meaning the net oil gain per well is almost double.

Took me a bit of re-working to reach the max input speed, but managed. Didn't know it was an achievement until you said something.

Give me a few and I'll do a flyby of my factory.

You'd be right, if I weren't a moron
I had been using the x10 change on all recipes but production, so it drove efficiency waaay down, I had somehow come to accept that coal is pretty much always king, when it's actually only if your patches are drying out

So, new file I guess
dropfile.to/GehN4cb

speaking of which, would you mind uploading your sheets too? I'm curious how you went about it

Oil yields have always been expressed as a percentage. 100% = 10/s. A minimum yield of 20% is therefore 2/s regardless of starting yield because that starting yield could have been 999%

>Has absolutely no impact on anything; please apply your knowledge of basic math.
>Hurr a durr calculating an input cost of 200 crude instead of 20 crude, while maintaining a minimum input of 0.1 instead of 1.0 doesn't change anything.
It's effectively increasing energy costs by at least 10, depending on how you're calculating downstream idle energy costs.

>*why*
To get rid of the pointless decimal. Fluid units are fairly arbitrary

>It's effectively increasing energy costs by at least 10, depending on how you're calculating downstream idle energy costs.
A solid fuel plant now requires ten times as much liquid to produce a block of solid fuel.
But a refinery produces ten times as much liquid.
However, it also requires ten times as much oil.
But it also requires ten times as much oil.
At least an oil well also requires ten times as much oil. (disregarding the minimum yield change here)
In short, a single oil well still produces the same amount of solid fuel.

Devs could have used any arbitrary value, and nothing would've changed - only circuits are impacted as they exclusively deal in integers
Seriously, open up a spreadsheet, then try it yourself.

>To get rid of the pointless decimal
Woo. It's difficult to communicate exactly how much it means that a refinery now produces an integer value of specific oil fractions.
I'm certainly experiencing a lot more fun in Factorio now.
Is the sarcasm obvious enough?