Saab thread

I didn't see a thread about Saabs so I'll make one.
>neighbor is offering me a deal on a Saab 93 2003
>$300
>needs front bumper tightened up
>new radiator
>new battery
>new rear breaks
She's pretty car illerate but I've never owner let alone worked on a Saab so I'd like to know Veeky Forumss verdict on Saabs. Are they trash or are they worth the time in fixing up and driving

Do it bro, I love my 93

>new radiator
>new battery
>new rear breaks
sounds like a victim of amerifat maintenance

It's owned by a woman so I'd reckon it'll need everything from an oil change to an alignment

it's not that what worries me, it's that if it needs a new radiator it probably needs new gaskets too
I'd expect the engine itself to be in bad shape

>breaks

Illiterate.

Agreed, if the radiator is fucked odds are she didn't really stop driving it as soon as it did.

I'm going to get the car to turn over tomorrow and see what I can find under. If it's going to be a bitch and half to repair I'm going to look elsewhere for a another fun car.

Make sure to test out the gasket and any visible water pumps, also oil.

I don't have the equipment to pull that off, my local mechanic will do it for $150 though. Wouldn't hurt to check it out.

300$ for a 2003 9-3?

dude just take it and part it out for that money

ive owned a 2003 9-3 for the past 5 years and its served me well, literally nothing broke on it aside from the goddamn famous door actuators which are a bitch and require the door panels off to replace

they are cheap as hell now, i can get any body part or anythin else dirt cheap from the junkyard, the community is great,the best thing tho is it's still got a new-ish car feel, great A/C, heated seats, great comfort if you can find em in leather, can do 150mph if you want, etc

its more of a bang for the buck thing, plus they're rare, just get the door actuators fixed, use a can of silicone to fix the shitty rattly plastic interior and upgrade the audio system and you got a great beater

You don't really need equipment to check it out, if the oil look like milk the gasket's fucked, if there's oil dripping from the gasket section of the engine it's fucked, unsure how fucked the radiator is but if you get water going through all the hoses you can just bleed them and check if the water's oily, gasket's fucked.

If the car has no oil anyways just ditch it, it's probably been driven to the point of destruction or it burns oil and they forgot to top it off.

IThanks guys, I'll just screencap all the info posted and post what happened when I get the car to turn over.

I'd get an acid test done, though.

Godspeed user, if there's any sign of heavy repairs, no matter how small of a sign it is, just ditch it unless you're looking for a project car.

Why does it need a radiator? Is it leaking? Overheating? A mechanic tell her it did?

If it is leaking or overheating then there is a good chance coolant was not changed frequently. That means the radiator, headgasket, water pump, and heater core is suspect. The water pump is driven by the timing chain on the l850 engine.

300 is pretty cheap though.

what do you guys think of 9-3 aeros?

Nice car you got there. Is the brand for sale?

What engine does the 9-3 have?

Opel engines. Saab was responsible for turbocharging the engines (according to wiki).

Had the exact car. It was great and sporty enough. The badges lose paint and the interior kind of chips off leaving a white plastic on your buttons.

That said it's GM and maintenance should be easy. $300 is a steal

pretty from the front, uggo from the side and rear
9-5 is where it's at

Saabs are quirky and incredibly undervalued. I just bought a '95 900S with the NA 2.3 as a winter car and I walked away with it for $800 with two sets of rims and tires, no problems yet. In short, do it user.

Who here /saabfamily/?

If only mine (the estate) was manual, but it's a comfy car so it's not a big deal.

I loved my 9-5, nicest car I've ever owned. Saabs are underrated. Super fast and really luxurious. They have their little issues sometimes, but that makes the experience more fun. I always need some kind of project to work on or else I feel the urge to sell my car and get something more exciting.

But yeah, do it

i mean, its probably an automatic and saabs are all fwd. So basically its the worst type of car you can buy.

Dumb brainlet detected

Pros:
> Really reliable
> High-quality interior
> Overall nice car

Cons:
Saabs were expensive to repair when they were still in business, but now that they are dead, cars are even MORE expensive.

My opinion:
It may be worth it, but do your research on the parts that need to be fixed/replaced and see if it's in your price range.

>muh fwd meme

When will it die?

$300is totally worth, you can learn how to mechanic

/Saabfamily/ here.

Mom drives a 2004 9-5 2.0t Linear Estate tuned to 220HP/350Nm(149HP/240Nm Stock)

I drive a 2003 9-5 2.3T Sedan tuned to 285HP/440Nm(250HP/370Nm stock),
and a 2004 9-5 2.3T+ Estate tuned to 320HP/540Nm(250HP/370Nm stock).

Little brother drives a 2005 9-3 2.0T Aero SS tuned to 250HP/388Nm(210HP/300Nm stock)

>Saabs are all fwd
No.

That's FWD though

>Really reliable
if well maintained
also they have glass trannies
but user, FWD is the antithesis of a luxury car, to say "FWD luxury car" is an oxymoron
Of all the FWD cars there are, SAABs are probably the finest. Besides, there's a certain smug intellectual vibe to them.

You don't know what a SAABaru is then.
The engine and frame and almost everything about the car is SUBARU.

>also they have glass trannies
Most problems are because the engines produce more torque than the engine mounts are designed for so it makes the gear stick misaligned to the transmission.

They are also among the safest which is also why they cost that much.

The impreza came in both FWD and AWD
I know what a saabaru is

The Saabaru didn't.

my bad, I thought it was like the Impreza

>also they have glass trannies
hasn't been an issue since 1993.
If you do try to push 400lbs of torque through f25 you will eventually have a problem, but the 'glass transmission" only related to the transaxles in the classic 900. I destroyed one myself.

Planning on tuning my 93 aero and my first time doing this, does anyone know if upgrading the inter cooler is really necessary? I'm only going to stage 3