First car purchase consulting

Hello,
I would like have consultant on car purchase. After installing /g/entoo, I became truly enlighten and it changed my perspective on many things.
What I want to know is, what is the car equivalent of gentoo operating system and it has the reputation of a ThinkPad when it comes to laptops.

The only one I could come up was this, Lada 2107. What I have learned from Russian mentality, is that a good machine is easy to repair. Is this the definition of quality? Not a single car can go on without maintenance, so why should you bother with anything else if you can repair it faster, cheaper and more comfortably because it doesn't have any extra on the way when you try to change a part or two. After seeing engine room on both Lada 2105 (1985) and Mercedes-Benz C200 (1994), I began to hate the mercedes. Sure it is comfortable to ride with and has all cool features, but I should I care when I'm on a tight budget and more importantly, I want to learn how the actual car works. This is why I mentioned Gentoo because you really can't install it if you don't know anything your computer.

In short, is Lada a great platform to learn car repairing and will it make me struggle to the point where as the more I struggle, the more experienced I become. Let's face it, only through hardships, will make you become a better person. It is a jouney nevertheless.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gw1GNfA_AnU
youtube.com/watch?v=QT9j6cDuM0g
youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZD0rVUHgU
youtu.be/ScSpe-fpZ78
my.mixtape.moe/jcettj.mkv
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Another reason why I'm considering old cars, is that no additional computers can be integrated on to them as well as they don't rely on computers too much. No need to hack your car with computer to get more horsepowers (or kilowatts).

I also hope that this car doesn't use proprietary software that could potentially take control of it's user. EU is very scare space to live since you don't know what the fuck those morons are working on to limit the freedom of it's citizens.

As you can see here, the engine compartment it's simple and easy to work. This is a Lada 2105 or 1500.

piece of shit car.
Only good if you intend to buy it and turn it into a race car.

Just because its easy to repair doesn't mean its reliable. Get some toyota that is easy to repair and reliable and less suffering and more fun than driving a piece of shit russian car that is only allowed to exist in those quantities because they artificially removed all competition.

If you want a Lada, you better check out some more modern cars VAZ has to offer. Lada 2114 is better in every way, for example.
And you have to remember that it's still a low-tier car, the only semi-advantage is cheap maintenance, but that is only if you have access to spare parts. In Russia you can buy them on every corner for ridiculously low price, not so sure about the other parts of the world

But then again, this one is right. So called "vaz classics" (2105-2107) are not even produced anymore because they are so shitty it's hopeless

The thing that gripes me a bit, is that you could have bought cars like these for literal 10€ per car during the auction. The cars were owned by illegal immigrants whoim came from Russia to cross the border over to Finland and abandoned cars on the border.
It shocked me too see just how many classic Ladas were in the road when I was visiting Russia a year back. Maybe I have to see, how to order parts from Russia. I wonder if customs fuck me in the ass.
Hey, don't you go shit talk VAZ (BAЗ), because model 2107 was produced from year 1982 to 2012 and 2105 from 1979 to 2010. They aren't old cars by any means.

their machines have worn down so much it'd be more of a panel gap than a car right now if they still produced it

>They aren't old cars by any means.
They were already outdated as fuck in the 90s. Being 'recently created' is not the same as being 'modern'.
Yes, there are a lot of classic VAZ here. It's a car for poorest people who, for some reason, really need a car.

>They aren't old by any means.

>car equivalent of gentoo
RX-7

You stupid commie cunt. Old Soviet cars are dogshit.

Germany's golden modern era of car manufacturing was the 70s, 80s and early 90s. These cars literally run forever if cared for correctly, parts are cheap both used and new, and all the workshop manuals are available online in PDF form.

Buy yourself an old diesel W126 for a couple hundred euro and be done with it.

Everything up to 2109 included is uncomfortable as fuck. Not as in "lacks comfort" but as in "has a lot of discomfort".

Rotor engines sure are pain to deal with, but I don't think RX-7 is barebone to match Lada. If you install gentoo enough, you will end up with Chromium OS.
>Old Soviet cars are dogshit.
At least it brings some challenge to its user. Because there is the learning curve, it sure does sound tempting to get.
>Buy yourself an old diesel W126 for a couple hundred euro and be done with it.
I have heard that these older diesel powered Mercedes-Benz are very reliable which would somethin I'm looking for. However, you have to account the taxes that come with driving a diesel car. If I'm gettin my first car, there is no point getting one. I'll probably have to look petrol variant, while keeping in mind that they might not be as reliable as diesel variants.
It will work perfectly as a reminder for myself not to spend all of my money on computers which then tighten my budget to this point that I'm considering to buy Lada out all car brands there is. Well, I have always had a boner for Ladas.

>At least it brings some challenge to its user. Because there is the learning curve, it sure does sound tempting to get.

The only challenge you'll get by driving around a Lada is mental retardation when you crash it and you're suddenly transfered back to the USSR circa 1969 for crash safety.

Find a crash test for the Lada on youtube and then compare it to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=gw1GNfA_AnU

>I have heard that these older diesel powered Mercedes-Benz are very reliable which would somethin I'm looking for. However, you have to account the taxes that come with driving a diesel car. If I'm gettin my first car, there is no point getting one. I'll probably have to look petrol variant, while keeping in mind that they might not be as reliable as diesel variants.

The petrol variants are just as good.

>disregards rx-7 for being ungentoo
>regards a piece of shit lada for being gentoo

you're a retarded autist, get your fucking piece of shit lada and enjoy hating driving then

Or you could buy a car that doesn't break, and when it needs a service isn't impossible to work on.

>The only challenge you'll get by driving around a Lada is mental retardation when you crash it and you're suddenly transfered back to the USSR circa 1969 for crash safety.
Are you implying that one's life is worth something? Do you really think that I'm afraid to use Lada just because it might kill me? Heт нeт нeт, мoй дopoгйи дpyг, lada is perfectly safe as seen in pic related.
Quantity over quantity that is Soviet doctrine, soul crushingly brutal. They value metal more than human lives which is why they make cheap tanks in large quantities.
Gentoo, represents the penguin "Gentoo" which is the fastest penguin species. Gentoo Linux is fast because it's light, not because it has a lot power. Because you can optimize it and remove all unnessary, making the kernel light and optimizing compiling with CFLAGS. Remember to use appropriate optimizing flags for you specific CPU. Lada is this, RX-7 seems like Arch for me. Unless you meant those Soviet police cars with lada chassis and a rotor engine.
I believe that if it never breaks, you will never learn anything new about cars. It's learning process and the harder it gets, the better because only then you will have something that you certainly know you can't do. Only through trial and error, can one truly learn.

If you can't learn from something that doesn't break/isn't broken you're not learning hard enough.

It doesn't have to be broken to be understood, or improved, or changed.

Just because it runs, doesn't mean it ends there.

>Old Soviet cars are dogshit.
stay mad, Hans.

i could run faster than this cars top speed

agreed, UAZs are indestructible.

>"Germany's golden modern era of car manufacturing was the 70s, 80s, and early 90s."
Oh, so the TRABANT? Yeah, I'm sure a car made out of PLASTIC runs greeeeaaat......

Buy an old 80s-Early 90s Volkswagen in good condition and stop typing up rubbish. Even the Volkswagens till Early 2000s are literally like lego and easy to work on as you don't need any special tools just 10-16mm sockets. Interior is all on torx screws though.

>speed is the sole defining aspect of a vehicle
spoken like a true benchracer

bump

I know exactly what you're after. Get a 1.3 Corolla AE82 or a 1.0/1.3 Starlet with the 1E and 2E engines. They're bulletproof and primitive carburated 4 bangers with all the power of the Lada but none of the drivetrain losses. I probably would've bought one if I didn't get the opportunity to own a AE82 Twincam. Look at the picture, don't you just want to cuddle it?

That engine is beautiful and good amount of room to work around it.

I know, it would make the best doomsday engine too because you can get parts for it at pretty much every junkyard.

The Trabant is good and will keep running as long as you take care of it.

t. Trabanter

Where are you from?
If you're from the eastern side of europe there might be a bunch of other cars you may want to look. Sure, Ladas are nice too.

Here are a few personal suggestions:

>Dacia 1300 series
They come in plenty of flavours, 1300 being the classic, 1310 being slightly modernised and so on. They're mostly powered by simple 1.3 petrol engines, which major difference being the aesthetics and from 1310 upwards they have tachtometers.
Good news is: they were conceived by Renault, so you have commie charm with western quality combined.

>Volkswagen Golf/Jetta/Passat from the 80's
A no brainer really. It's probably one of the best choice in term of quality, simplicity and maintenance. Unlike commie cars which will give you some pain if you're outside the country they were made if, Volks are fairly global and really good built too. I would recommend going for one of these if you're really not set on a certain marque.

>Polski Fiat (126p)
Fiat had plants in Yugoslavia and Poland, hence the Zastava and Polski. You'll probably have some trouble finding a Zastava outside Serbia, although they're Fiat 600 and fairly sure spare parts might be a pain too. Polski Fiat or Fiat 126p are still common in Poland and from what I heard, really simple and realiable too, so I say it may be worth a look.

>Volkswagen Beetle (From 1980 bellow)
Self explanory. Simple, charming and you get the air-cooled engines commies loved so much. Good luck finding one though.

>Wartburg
Those were the great cars of East Germany. Unlike Trabants, they had a 3-cylindre 2-stroke engine and steel body, and in the eastern-german communist style, they are simple. There are ones in working conditions on the roads to these days.

(Comment too long, you want further suggestions, tell me).

Are there any equivalents for the American market? 2E never made it here :(
Also, what's a good car without any x-by-wire/computer controlled stuff (the more purely mechanical the better)? I'm a little on the tinfoil side and having the ECU basically run the car is 2spooky

we have 2017 now and "Maluch" 126p isn't so common as you think,
greetings from poland

>Where are you from?
Finland. The reason why I was so eager on Ladas is because, the ones sold to Finnish market, were superior to those made for the domestic use. Russians have started to buy these cars back for their own use, from what I have heard.
youtube.com/watch?v=QT9j6cDuM0g
You wouldn't want to throw this beautiful machine, would you user?
youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZD0rVUHgU (rare car, very rarely seeing in traffic these days, but should be above Lada when it comes to included features)
youtu.be/ScSpe-fpZ78
Making hard coded subtitles to this video on real quick. In short, these guys imported Ladas and gave all sorts of services. Spare parts, maintenance and modifications (they mention turbo modifications on the video).

Well, honestly speaking, I have though of older Mercedes-Benz and or Toyota Corollas. Mercedes tend to be like ThinkPads when it comes to laptops. They are both respected for their unbeatable reliability and good German engineering. Toyota Corollas are the most common car in my country, I guess they really got us with their good decisions to use more reliable designs (chainbelt instead of cambelt). There are about 600k of Toyotas in here, dominating the market all together. Volkswagen are common as well.
However, often times the chassis of the car is rusty, making it undesirable to buy since it will weaken the struckure and eventually, you need to replace the rusty part with some new metal and weld it in place. This is time consuming, expensive and pain in the ass to do. We use salt to get rid of the ice, so that public transport can work smoothly. Either wash your car regularly during winter or enjoy rust.

I'm also thinking that this first car can be a shitbox that I don't really care about. Old Toyota Corolla or Carina (I see alot of cheap carinas) would do but I want to hold traditions, since my moms first car was Lada (she is 50-years-old), so I want to follow her footsteps in this regard.

A crappy kit car.

>moms first car was Lada (she is 50-years-old), so I want to follow her footsteps in this regard.

Ah well, I'll change the tone a little.

My dad's first car was a Dacia 1310 he bought in either late '99 or early 2000, can't remember, but I recall being with him when he got it. It was pretty big deal back then that we had a car and I fairly liked it, although I convinced him to get a Jetta around 2005.

When it came to actually purchasing my own, personal car, with my own money I've planned it for a while. Initially I wanted a Dacia, 1300 (older model) if possible or 1310 (doubt my dad's still around) however I got neither.

I got a Trabant instead (I started to want one for a while and I was set on it since last year). Despite what people told me, I read about it, got informed on it and searched for one until I ultimately got it. I have already driven some cars before, with or without servoklenung, with cable or hidraulic pedals and so I wouldn't be stuck without knowing how to properly drive it.

Point of the story is, old bangers are still good and nice and I'd dare to say it would be wiser to start with a banger than with a newer car, if you know how to drive one, you'll be able to drive any other car. If you learn how to repair and maintain one, you'll have the basis set for future cars, while having a lower chance of fucking up in the process, considering they're less complex.

If the Lada has a sentimental value for you, go for it. Ultimately, you may think of this like a quest, thinking of "what my first car will be and what does it say about me?".

There is no shame in any car. Pick the one you trully feel it is for you.

youtu.be/ScSpe-fpZ78
Of this video, I made shitty translation of this video
my.mixtape.moe/jcettj.mkv

My father was one hell of guy I would say as he went to police auctions to get cars cheap (they had some broken on them often times), repaired them and made money. By this way, he had gained experience, so that so he ended up driving taxi for a living. (not sure if there is a correlation here)
We had Mercedes on our family (probably the reason why my brother got Mercedes), as a taxi, Audi 100 (we had to invest in 4wd because there lived off the beaten track, and a lot of snow during the winter).

Unfortenately, my dad died preemptively while I was 4, so I had little change to get any help or info when it comes to cars. I'm totally crippled in this field, while I'm getting more and more advanced on computer side of things. With no father figure, this is what I have ended up with. My first car may change this dramatically.

Thank you user for you thoughts and for the encouragement. No other car brand have become close to my heart as like Lada. There is nothing more mysterious, than the one we finns call "Idän ihme" (the wonder of east).