/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/296970/Renowned_Explorers_International_Society/
playism-games.com/games?sale=true
mariuswinter.itch.io/mitd
underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sprayer
underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2790.msg15782#msg15782
underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=1216.msg6754#msg6754
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

;)

I fucking love Demon King Chronicle. I finally paid some money for it.

There's another thread here : I can't delete it, I'll have to wait for it to get pushed out of the board.

It's a hard game to recommend due to sheer age, but damn if I don't love it too.

>both Sparks the Electric Jester and Cosmic Star Heroine have fewer than 100 reviews on Steam

Do any of you know this game: store.steampowered.com/app/296970/Renowned_Explorers_International_Society/ ?

It just got an expansion pack, hence the 50% off. I'm not fan of the childish visuals but if the game has depth it's still okay.

Does anyone know how exactly does the Mad Chemist feat work in Underrail?

The description says "On-hit effects of chemical pistols you create are twice as strong.". I'm only interested in how it works on acid pistols- does it double the chance to entagle, or does it double the additional damage? Or maybe both?

I would check myself with the Cheat Engine but for some reason I can't get the experience reader to work.

I think I saw that game in early access because htere's a bunch of shit I don't recognize.

IT wasn't awful, iirc

Oh dear god, that screenshot triggers my Morrowind PTSD so much...

playism-games.com/games?sale=true
6th anniversary sale. Lots of unique and good games on there.

>page 8

nice job lads

Nice find user, I think I'll finally grab Astebreed

lmao enjoy ur assbreed game nerd

>buy game for like 3$
>get a 100 hours of play time out of it

Feels good man. Wish that would happen more often.

>he fears page 8
Typical /r9k/fag

>buy game for 8$
>get 500 hours out of it and still counting
Yeah.

I'm really hesitating. Sell me Battle Brothers, user. What's good with it?

>Buy game for $2.50
>Get 2900 hours of play time out of it

>buy massmarketed AAA game on launch for $60+$70 DLC
>exhasuted all playability after 8 hours

>play free to play game
>almost 2k hours
I did spend 20 bucks tho
what games?

500 hours in Underrail.

Nevermind, I concluded there is no point in taking it anyways. I can't afford to take it early on and there is no point in taking it late in the game since I will switch to XAL unique acid pistol at this point.

I came up with a cool chemical pistol "CAU" build but I'm yet to try it. The idea is to throw gas grenades everywhere and force enemies to stay in the gas with acid entaglement from acid pistol, acid traps, taser and just the sheer volume of multiple gas grenades in a small area. Then you can capitalize on the contaminated stacks and opportunist and deal much more damage.

The cool thing is, with CAU armor (or biohazard vest/gas mask before getting it) you can stay inside the cloud in relative safety yourself. So you can gas the whole rooms without worrying about anything while enemies choke to death.

Once you get CAU armor and craft infused siphoner tabis, you will have about 90%/35 acid resist, so even though XAL malfunctions and hits you with acid it's not going to affect you pretty much at all. That makes it really worth it isnce it has better damage than even the best crafted acid pistols and costs 9 AP less to shoot. It has less chance to entangle and secondary damage than best crafted pistols, but more damage and more shots per turn more than make up for it.

Mutants are immune to both acid and bio so you will have to deal with them using a normal firearm pistols and grenades. Robots are immune to bio but have only mild DR/DT against acid.

100 bio so you can extract corrosive acid in DC and make corrosive ammo.

I kinda want to play it right now but Styg mentioned adding unique sprites for chemical pistols so I think I will wait.

Forgot pic.

Hey wait a moment today is the 11th but stil no date on the steamstore for dream machine.

bored of stardew valley and starbound want something where I can just farm and shit any recs?

Spiral Knights

no I mean literal farming, not item farming

Not on PC, I'm afraid.
Except maybe Farming Simulator or The Guild.

Get a Super NES emulator and get Harvest Moon.

does starbound even have any significant farming?

slime rancher is vaguely similar in that you farm shit and have pens of slimes, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for

Then Farming Simulator and Minecraft.

I feel this was not an intended interaction but it's been there for 7 months so if they cared they would have removed it by now.

/indiesleep/

>does starbound even have any significant farming?
It has around 30 or 40 different crops, but I personally never bothered, it's too much of a hassle. Though there were some farming mods.

That's a problem with SB as a whole. Lots of things to do but they are a hassle.

This was pretty fun:

mariuswinter.itch.io/mitd

>tfw still no decent indie classic-style 3D survival horror no

Grim Dawn is my go-to for farming right now, and it's 50% off at Humble Store right now. Expac when?

>I would check myself with the Cheat Engine but for some reason I can't get the experience reader to work.
It hasn't worked in a long time. Veteran levels probably changed memory addresses related to exp and leveling.

It's a miracle most of that ancient CE table still works.

>Styg mentioned adding unique sprites for chemical pistols
Even better, new chemical weapon types.

underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sprayer
He left chemical sprayers unfinished back in the alpha and said he won't implement them before shotguns.

In recent years has there been an increase in games made by large independent studios?

100s of hours in Underrail, though most of them were acquired over 10,000 hours after purchase.

How's Dead Cells?

Subnautica lets you manage fish and underwater plant farms

GIVE ME MY STONE

I DON'T HAVE YOUR STONE

AND YOU'RE TURNING PEOPLE INTO GLUE

My first three playthroughs were with the GOG version.

>all these people with hundreds of hours in Underrail

Does the game have that much content/replayability or are all of you autistic.

yes

What said.

Constant respecs

"yes"

My first playthrough took over 100 hours and it's a game where you constantly want to reroll and try new character ideas.

Slime Rancher is cute.

*teleports behind you*

Cute, but the main character is a SJW feminazi with a hipster haircut and there's no real challenge. Not even a crippling debt to motivate you in raising them slimes.

Kill yourself back to /pol/ in that case.
Fucking faggot retard kids.

>underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sprayer
First time I hear about that, the only cut content I knew of is the shield recharger. When did he mention that sprayers will be added?

>spray the chemical in a short range cone
So basically chemical shotguns?

Not an argument.

Fuck off, you dont need to be argued with, not everything is a fucking debate

It's both.

A single playthrough is about 60-80 hours if you do everything, depending on how much time you spend running between traders, getting lost in the caves and generally screwing around.

Steam says I have 495 hours, finished the game 6 times plus spend some time testing things out.

>refuses to talk about video games on a video game board
Of course.

I tried it for two hours, controls seemed kind of clunky, NPCs more or less standardfare(can't really judge that after so little time I guess), what's so replayable about the game?

>It's a miracle most of that ancient CE table still works
I sure hope the quality editing keeps working, testing different quality levels and comparing them gives so much insight in the game mechanics.

Maybe I should finally learn how to use CE properly and scan for values instead.

My brother played that. Apparently it has a little problem with saminess. Even if you use different party setups or type-focusing, the flow of battle still feels the same.

So after you beat the game the first time, you're more or less done with it.

>controls seemed kind of clunky
They are pretty much the same as in any isometric cRPG.

>NPCs more or less standardfare(can't really judge that after so little time I guess)
They get better.

>what's so replayable about the game
Combat, more specifically the sheer amount of different, unique builds.

Also story to a lesser degree. There are tons of mutually exclusive endings, factions you can join and ways to resolve quests. You probably won't find all the obscure lore in one playthrough either.

There's lots of cut content still buried in the game files. Items, feats, even entire maps. All of it isn't even on the wiki.

>When did he mention that sprayers will be added?
underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2790.msg15782#msg15782

Basically chemical shotguns, yeah. Old post about it:
underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=1216.msg6754#msg6754

Is it on the Cutting Floor Room wiki?

Probably not, considering the game is still in active development.

Thanks, I was looking for experiences like this. In theory, the newest expansion ease the game's core issues, at least several new review mentioned it. Probably still far from the depth I prefer in such titles.

>Btw, new stuff for chemical pistols has been implemented
I remember reading that, but I assumed he's talking about new feat(s). There's not much indication that it will be sprayers.

True that, it could be anything. But he said sprayers would get implemented after shotguns so the timing is impeccable.

>controls seemed kind of clunky
They aren't any more clunky than in other isometric games. And there are a lot of quality of life things you likely didn't even notice during that two hours you played, like the different ways to reload a weapon, the two extra hotbars you can access by pressing Shift and Ctrl, the background in your portait constantly showing you the brightness of the place where you are currently standing (which can be a great indicator to quickly tell whether your character is still moving, or bumped into something and is now standing in one place), highlight with TAB and reverse highlight with Z in case the thing you want to interact with is right behind something else, the ability to target the portrait of an enemy instead of having to pixelhunt the sprite, just to name a few.

>NPCs more or less standardfare
They have a lot of unique gimmicks. For example the Rathounds you face at the very start get stronger in groups, but panic and run away if they see fire. The Psi Beetles you see in the second quest have a hard shell that resists a lot of damage, but they open it to expose their brains in order to cast psi spells. When this happen they can synchronize with other beetles with their brains out and cast better and more powerful spells in exchange for their natural protection. In the third quest you can learn how security cameras alert bots, and with some creativity can learn how to use this to your advantage to temporarily draw away some of them from their patrol routes.

And when you start to encounter higher level humans with better skills things get really fun.

>what's so replayable about the game?
Mostly the different playstyles. A mage doesn't play like a guy wielding an AR, or a trapper who turns every area into a minefield before engaging the enemy. Builds with and without stealth play drastically differently. And so on.

And of course things like mutually exclusive questlines and secrets you might not find the first time.

>But he said sprayers would get implemented after shotguns
That would mean they will be implemented in the expansion itself.

Meawhile Styg said

>new stuff for chemical pistols has been implemented, so expect that in the next update
Unless there will be no further updates before the expansion, this mean it's not likely thin new stuff is going to be sprayers.

Also, when asked:

>Hey Styg, do you plan to give us the new chem pistols stuff before DLC comes?

Styg answered:

>Possibly. I would like to, anyway, but I don't know if we'll be able to spare the time for testing
Which further suggest this "new stuff" is not actually going ot be sprayers, since it can possibly be implemented before the expansion and shotguns.

We will see.

Should I get afterbirth+ why or why not

more shit item clutter
mod support is a joke
item packs aren't coming out
new content is shit (though I think they've fixed at least some of it)
new floor and final boss is a bad joke that was probably thrown together in an hour

>have a boss rush
>have your super mega ultra final boss ALSO an 'lol he's every boss at once' gimmick
for what purpose steakmund

That worked with Lavos.

I'm having trouble playing it. Chapter 6 isn't listed as DLC and it's still locked in-game.

>That would mean they will be implemented in the expansion itself.

>176477813
What if there is an outer wall and an inner wall and you happen to try following the inner wall? Also what if the exit is a ladder?

Lavos was always weird to me, because he just acts like a FEW bosses.

It never gave a stated release countdown for the time.
But I think it's buyable now, check again.

i dunno guys I love Slime Rancher. It's really enjoyable and cute

Most new content in the DLC is shit, though I think it's no longer game-breaking as it was on release
If you're feeling masochistic you can get it

But I bought the complete bundle already.

I really like it though, I'm tempted to just buy the chapter anyway, I got the bundle for less than $5.

Anybody know any shitty FPS? Like the shittest possible Russian shovelware stuff.

I got Manhunter and Chernobyl Commando in the Humble sale, I find COD campaigns comfy and these are like the shitty straight-to-DVD late-Steven-Seagal versions.

Oh, then check the ingame DLC again?
I believe it was just released at a later time of the day.

That's nice, never had one of these before. Shame it had to happen on the run I finally went for the Forge elevator unlock.

>Super hot watch, yellow chamber, shelleton key, wingman
You won, I take it? Are you the guy who went to old king with robot in like the past week or so? Do you play robot because you like him or are you still trying for his past?

I will never not be mad.

i saw someone shitposting about that earlier, what is it

It was advertised as basically Hotline Miami 3. It was a fan-mod at first, and then got supported by Dennaton. Spencer, the guy making it, was given full use of the engine to make it.
Skipping over the incredibly long fucking pathetic fiasco from then to now, where he stopped working for months because "boohoo my girlfriend", and has in two years made only 2 levels,
It's now basically Persona on the Hotline Miami engine. Down to the point he's traced Persona art, and added in personas, even fucking keeping the name "Persona".

I hope Atlus hits him with a DMCA, the sack of fucking shit.

Will post more images like this

no yea i saw the images, it's pretty bad

Even the fucking official store art.

I'm way angrier than I should be but holy fuck, I hope this guy gets in a car accident with his ex girlfriend.

Oh, and he copied a level out of Swat 4.

And changed the name from "Midnight Animal" the last thing relating it at all to what it's meant to be, Hotline Miami, to "A story of love and forgetting"

I hope he chokes.

He's also silencing, by banning or locking, all threads against the changes or him on the steam forums, and kicks anyone in his discord who doesn't kiss his ass. His main excuse is "It's my game i do what I want"
I don't think Atlus' lawyers will agree with that when they address the fact he stole art and Personas.

Yeah, that was me. Still on the run now, to be honest things could be going better. I already got Robot's past done, I'm playing him now since I figured he'd be good on jammed runs. He's fun overall, though.

you can't exactly copyright personas, because personas are pretty much just stands and stands are just magical buddies

even that shitty comic that copied stands and called them stands and had SP as one of themain stands didn't get in trouble for plagiarism, it just sold awfully because it was shit

I wasn't sure about Personas bit, I felt like they were kinda too basic to be copyrighted. But he's going to get in trouble for stealing art and passing it as his own

well yea