Why are so many mechanics such scumbags?

Why are so many mechanics such scumbags?

Grandmother has an E80 carolla 1.6L and recently it broke down on her while she was doing her biweekly shopping. I had it towed to her mechanic who fixed it charging her $1800 which was my first red flag so I checked the invoice and apparently it had overheated and seized, I asked my grandmother when was it last serviced and she told me she has it serviced monthly by her mechanic who charges her $120 to $250 each month while she only drives about 25km a month to and from the shops every 2 weeks when she gets her pension pay. So I decided to investigate and it didn't appear the engine had been changed at all, the engine bay had been pressured washed though however it did have a new battery. I wasn't able to see it in person when it had broke down, I just ordered a tow truck. So presumably the mechanic probably just replaced a dead battery? I went and spoke with the guy and asked him about the old engine bullshitting him saying I wanted to copy the engine numbers off it but he said they had already sent it to scrap metal then when I pressed him about charging her monthly for service fees when she barely drives he just kicked me out. I really doubt her first mechanic ever changed anything on her car, the belt was cracked, the leads were faded, oil was black and chalky texture when rubbing it between fingers, coolant was all a brown sludge.

Cont,

So I told my grandmother to go to a new mechanic shop and I'd pay for the costs of anything wrong with it or if it's too much I will just get her another little car to zip around in. Lou and behold the next mechanic shop said it needs new tires, new power steering rack and pump, new brakes and rotors, drive shaft balance and a bunch of other misc stuff and said it couldn't leave the premises legally unless she paid for new tires/power steering/brakes/rotors but I decided to go down and then their attitude changed and they downplayed everything saying they're just concerned about the car being in 100% top shape because an elderly woman is driving it. I confronted him about what he was trying to do then he told me to fuck off and said everyone does it and if I'm not happy about it go find another shop.

>Order groceries online
>Have them shipped to your nan's house
>problem solved

>mechanic rips me off - I know for certain
>report his faggot business for tax evasion to IRS

"ohhh yeahhh nahhhhh ayyyy just can't afford the banks ATM fees ayyyyyyyyyy its totally not a tax thingggg ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" - fag

lol git fukt stink nerd

Then you can't choose your vegetables and they give you the oldest stinkiest closest-to-rotting vegetables and fruits and almost out of date milk

Are you dumb?

Why haven't you found decent shop for your grandma yet?

Mine isn't the cheapest in town, but the service manager knows me and they always get things done right by me.

>fuck off and said everyone does it and if I'm not happy about it go find another shop.

this is why i want to amass a collection of tools and shop equipment. Auto mechanics are nothing special. Mechs know for every savy perons, there are tons of ignorant people who will believe everything they say. Mecahnics are a nice convenience but not all mighty wizards of the ICE. I came to realize this when my sister brought her car to a well regarded shop for engine trouble. I over heard the service rep imply the mechs were googling mazda forums for possible fixes. That in it's self is no problem. Can't expect every mechanic to know the ins and outs of every shitbox that limps to the shop. But it got me thinking that i could of done that. I could of googled the symptoms, find the issue, read possible fixes, and diy. (they did fix the problem though)

Mechanics are pretty much average joes that have tools and don't mind getting dirty. Lucky for them there is no shortage of people who hate labor/don't have the time and don't want to invest in bottom barrel tools. Which is fine too. Mechs get to have a job and people get their shit fixed. What really gets my goat is when a mechanics gets too big for his britches and starts to think that their services are REQUIRED and start bullshitting people who don't know better.

>t.scumbag (((mechanic)))

>Could of

Doubt.jpg

>not being your own mechanic
My dad taught me never to let someone else touch your car unless it was something extremely minor and you were watching the entire time.

Why bitch anonymously here, OP? Get on Yelp or AngiesList and bitch about them there, so it actually helps other people.

What I've seen is more apathetic mediocrity than anything else amongst your typical mechanic.

Most of them aren't that much better than the aggressive DIYer - plug in the scantool, look up the code, guess which part is bad, change out the part and hope that fixed it.

Or mindlessly follow whatever Mitchel1 says to do when they look up the code, which usually ends up manning the parts cannon at some stage in their process.

I get the feeling if you give even just a little more of a shit about the job than the average, you'll get all the work you can handle from here to eternity.

What kinda fancy place you living in where they'll send you groceries?

>I get the feeling if you give even just a little more of a shit about the job than the average, you'll get all the work you can handle from here to eternity.

Heh yeah, I know a mechanic like that, can't even take my car in unless I get there before he opens because he charges less and actually does the job. That's fine though because it encouraged me to fix things myself.

Wrong board, frogposter. gb2/b.

Sue em and get granny a self driving car.

At the time no. But now yeah. She comes to me now to fix her car. I pretty much do it all now, even mount and balance tires.

Well it sucks for granny who cant possibly unscrew an oil filter. She either has a nice son or grand child to help or suffer the grease monkies

Tough shit. My grandmother is 79 and is doing construction work.

Tough broad.

Someone touched your car when you weren't looking.

>having someone to teach you how to work on cars

First world.

I'm always looking.

Pretty much anywhere urban or suburban in North America will have at least one major chain that will deliver. The one in mine won't even charge delivery fees for purchases over $100.

Gotta sleep sometime. Gotta close those eyes.

It's "could have", you mongoloid.