How bad is to mix coolant colors? My car had orange coolant but I added green coolant

How bad is to mix coolant colors? My car had orange coolant but I added green coolant.

Other urls found in this thread:

autoblog.com/2009/12/28/coolant-color/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They can react with each other and create deposits, blockages and reduced effectiveness. You should flush it out.

Like right fucking now or can I wait until my next oil change in a month?

Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it's not. I seriously doubt you're going to get a straight answer here, OP. You get a lot of gay answers though.

Ya never mix colors. White and black
Or yellow and white or brown and white or well just dont mix with white.

They've probably already started a coup and a plan to overthrow the radiator. You should flush them out ASAP, before they find sympathetics.

well orange is probably dex-cool shit, so i'd get that out as fast as possible.
that shit turns into jelly

It's a Ford Focus...

I topped off the reservoir before a road trip last month, I've driven maybe 1500 miles with it.

oh ok then idk man sorry

I'm going to flush it this weekend to be sure.

I did the same shit OP in my 2012 focus the manual says to use orange but they dont sell orange anymore so I poured some green in there and it says on the bottle it can mix with any color so I dont care until my car starts smoking and I crash into a wall.

Does it matter what kind of color coolant you use? I drive an old Jeep.

Keep driving it until the thermometer tells you the engine is starting to overheat.

Flush it out now or this will happen

is that rice

That's sludge from two different colors of coolant really not liking each other

in an old jeep i would stick with green stuff. Orange and yellow and all this shit has to do with not being too corrosive on aluminum and shit like that for this new stuff. Old jeep easy , new vehicles , put in the recommended shit or you may create major problems down the line somewhere

he's lying lmao its rice

Yeah it's cilantro lime rice

>having dick cheese in your radiator

fugg feels bad man

most coolants are ethyleneglycol based, regardless of color. Most are also compatible with other coolants so you can top up safely. The color is just there as a safety measure and makes no difference. It will look dirty if you mix colors, but it's harmless.

>glycol

That's what makes them so delicious.

>Orange
That's Dex-Cool. It doesn't play nice with other coolants, especially conventional.
>Green
Could be conventional (bright-ass neon green) or Asian market ELC (darker green).
You still shouldn't mix anything with Dex-Cool. or it turns into jelly and fucks everything up.

HEY THATS WHAT I SAID!

You're not supposed to do that, but don't worry, it's fine. Topping off the reservoir won't hurt anything.

But fucking white chicks is fun

Fucking lel

Except for, you know, all the ones that aren't Glycol based that cannot be mixed with Glycol without solidifying.

LOOKS LIKE THAT RADIATOR SEALANT SHIT

ALSO COLORS MEAN NOTHING, ITS JUST DYE

THERES OAT HOAT AND ORIGINAL IAT

I'm an actual mechanic, not just a retard who posts on Veeky Forums

Its pretty bad actually. It forms a gel and clogs your cooling system. You should probably drain out what you put in.

ASAP my man
Not something you want to risk

>colours mean nothing
Fuck me
Maybe do a bit of reading on the topic before you post

autoblog.com/2009/12/28/coolant-color/

Q: Can I mix green coolant with orange coolant?
This is one of those questions usually asked after the fact, and usually engine damage has already occurred. The green and orange coolants do not mix. When mixed together they form a gel-like substance that stops coolant flow and consequently the engine overheats.

There are some coolants that claim compatibility with Dexcool, but I would rather err conservatively and add what the system is supposed to take rather than gamble. To guard against major engine failure, read on.
Q: What exactly happens when these coolants are mixed?
The coolants chemically react and form a gel rather than a liquid. The coolant stops flowing through the system, clogs up coolant passageways and water jackets, radiators, and heater cores. The water pump overheats and fails due to a lack of lubricant in the coolant. Head gaskets blow, heads warp, and the engine suffers major damage.

thread/

COLORS ARE NOT A GUARANTEE OF SHIT

AFTERMARKET COOLANT PUTS IN WHATEVER COLOR DYE THEY LIKE, THE CHEAPOS ARE NEARLY ALL IAT

All you had to do, was google the damn train CJ

Jesus fucking christ kid

>colours aren't a guarantee
Exactly you moron

>whatever coolant dye they want
Which is exactly why you need to READ the fucking LABEL

I'M NOT GONNA ARGUE WITH A RETARD

SEE THE LAST LINE HERE

Flush or you're fucked just add distilled water next time.

You're the one using full caps dickhead
But yeah nah sure, keep mixing your coolant bro

KEEP GOING BY THE COLOR TO KNOW WHAT COOLANT IT IS

Im gonna guess you're about 17, and your daddy told you this one time when you were at your local parts store shopping for coolant to "just pick green every time kid"

That doesn't translate to "they're all the same"

I could go into my local parts store right now, and pick up dark green coolant, and neon green coolant, and find out that if you mix the 2, they react and turn into gel.

YOU CAN PICK IDENTICALLY DYED COOLANT AND THEY WILL GEL

YOU CAN ALSO PICK IDENTICALLY DYED COOLANT AND IT WILL ONLY REDUCE THE CORROSION PROTECTION OF THE MIXTURE

IDENTICALLY DYED COOLANT COULD ALSO MATCH AND ITS JUST CORRECTLY TOPPING OFF LIKE WITH LIKE

COLORS MEAN NOTHING

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck I know it might be nothing but I don't want to risk fucking my car. I drove for a couple of hours and the car didn't show any signs of overheating or anything.

I'm getting that shit flushed tomorrow.

What the fuck, did the engine transform into shit?

Was dexcool ever pink at one point? That's the color I have in my car so I'm hesitant to add more.

How about mixing ATF? I put Mercon 3 in my Aveo but I doubt that's the right fluid

Pink isn't dexcool, it's Asian-pink.

Ask Scotty Kilmer

Emulsification. It turned into mayo.

G12 is pink.

Why would my GM vehicle have Volkswagen coolant in it?

>How bad is to mix coolant colors?
They have different additives. Glycol is glycol regardless of color, but it's the additive package that makes different coolants incompatible. Dexcool is compatible with aluminum engines and gaskets between dissimilar materials in those engines.

As to the color issue, long long long ago, makers used different colors as a way to prevent people from mixing in the wrong coolant. But then some other generic makers decided to make compromise generic coolants, picked a color such as green, and then said it could mix with any coolant. Sure, because it lacks specific additives. It's better to get the proper coolant that has all the additives and not a compromised set of additives.

Stupid previous owner?

I've flushed all my vehicles and put this stuff in them. No problem so far.