WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET

WYSIWYG is a long dead concept in automobiles, but this thread is to celebrate the greatness that was, and is preserved by few.

Current production technology allows manufacturers to cover up / hide / obscure a lot of the true nature of the vehicles they are making, and this is a nightmare for people that actually like to wrench on them like myself. It also makes the thought of buying new cars revolting. Basically, current production tech allows any shit company, like Kia, to make vehicles that APPEAR to fit in with the rest or to appeal to your senses, yet they are a disappointment mechanically.

POST CARS WHERE WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET.

Lets see those engine bays with everything exposed, those under-bodies with cables hung along beams instead of threaded through and obscured, lets see under those dashes, lets see those standard and plentiful parts bin wiring connectors.

Gonna dump some of these, pic related.

Was just talking about this quality in the short lived fox body thread, more the fact that parts were manufactured to be as rugged as possible within the logistical limits of the chassis versus how modern engineering allows manufacturers to make parts that are exactly durable enough to make it past the warranty period in the most profitable proportions then essentially all fall apart at once.

This. Not to say that everything is peaches entirely with older cars, they had issues but eventually we got over them with better rust proofing among other things, but damn the current manufacturers really are pushing the limits with making things "just roll down the road for a few years" and then kaput.

A good example is the reliability meme with [certain manufacturer]'s stuff, I say it's a meme because the demographic they target sinks a ridiculous amount of maintenance and money into those cars. You put that much money into the latest broken crap box from Kia and yea, it'll run forever, and by the end you'll have replaced the entire car part by part.

Did I do it right?

you dun fine
nice jack, i wish my square body still had its, i need to find one for it sometime

And if it don't fit...

grab a hammer, grab a cutting disc, and make the bastard fit.

And if you fuck up...

>FWD because it hold the road better
Lies!

grab a cutting disc...

grab a random piece of sheet metal, bend it over a table...

Dude no one cares.

weld the bastard in place...

I would do unspeakable things for a nicely preserved 1966 Cadillac Coupe Deville...

Hnnng.

pls be a good repair for that sweet ass 2 tone

the world needs to know how this turned out

Best gen Silverado.

Rattle can paint match wasn't exact but for a few hours work, some scrap metal, a bit of bondo, and a couple cans of spray paint I ain't complaining.

i'm not complaining either, looks brill for an on the cheap jobbie, excellent play

>Yfw GM used that cruise control stalk at least until 2002

Just saw a yellow CJ-5 today, all redone. I hope someday my CJ-7 will be returned to its old glory.

Nicely done.
I'm heading into some bodywork on my 76' square here soon, arg. Rust repair, the usual places, but it's not horrible since I live in the southwest. Surprising it's got any at all.
I need a new welder...

I drive a '65 DeVille convertible. You sir have excellent taste.

Same here. My driver's side rear fender has started to rust through in one spot (visible in pic related), first hole in the body besides the poorly patched up cab corners which will one day catch up to me. I'm going to try and take the same approach as before. I have all new fender chrome anyway so I think I'll just cut the rust spot out, cut up another piece of scrap, tack it in place, clean it up, and spray bomb it.

I wish the 66 had the same chrome trim on the headlights as the 65, the 65 is damn nice but I like the scale of the front grille on the 66.

Easiest car I ever worked on was a 65 falcon with a straight six like pic related. You could see every component of the car with just a glance. My friend and I lifted out the motor for a rebuild in under five minutes.

Last winter up here in BC was absolutely brutal, Old Brown's belly was damn near rust free last summer, now every damn paint chip has begun to rust over. I've got some serious scrubbin' and sprayin' to do before next winter.

In comparison my current car, while a little heavy on the plastic and wires, it's surprisingly easy to reach and see around.