Why does Veeky Forums hate CVTs so much?

Why does Veeky Forums hate CVTs so much?

As an engineer they look like a very good idea to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They drive like shit, make uncomfortable noises, can't handle torque, aren't all that reliable, suck a lot of power, and are generally inferior to modern automatics (8 speeds is more than enough).

They're efficient, but not very fun.

>emergency situation
>floor accelerator
>CVT shits itself
>die while CVT tries to google "horsepower" and how to use it

A spinning cone appliying pressure to a steel belt? lol no thanks.

That's all for naught if breaks down after 60k miles like the Nissan CVTs are.

>transmissions

>muh generic infopic

The main reason automakers have started using CVTs is for fuel efficiency. The reality is that CVTs have not lived up to expectations and are not any better than a well geared 6 speed in terms of fuel efficiency. Not to mention that CVTs are maintenance hogs compared to a traditional automatic.

the proper way to use CVTs is to have the engine hold steady at peak power rpm. then vary the ratios in the CVT to accelerate and cruise.

youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto

>piece of shit that overheats with hard acceleration

I still say we need a manual CVT. Like the throttle on a boat or airplane, a handle you slide up and down from super low creeper gear up to ultra overdrive. That would be fun. Git gud with it and you could do a 0-100mph pull and keep the revs at the perfect power the whole time

Mostly they're just plain unreliable, OP. And when they do break, they're more expensive to rebuild or replace. So whatever fuel savings you get from using one, you give all that back and then some when it breaks early.

One of those things that looks good on paper but when you deal with it in the real world, doesn't look so good.

Pretty sure the most fuel efficient car in America uses a DCT, not a CVT

in theory, the best transmission. in practice, perform terribly, feel terrible to drive, because of how people actually drive break constantly as they are forced to work in ways they are not intended. as an engineer you should realize this

Snowmachines snap their belts quite often and they only weigh 600lbs. I wouldn't trust that shit in a 4000lb car in the middle of nowhere. Though they seem to be fine for the first couple years.

That pic is also for a 4spd trans when these new cars have dual clutch 8+ speed transmissions. The gap in revs is so small and shifts so fast that it barely matters.

The main advantage is you can keep the engine in its ideal peak-efficient zone more of the time.

But this sounds super annoying, more like a hairdryer than a car.

>>Maintenance hog

Mine is at 100k, the only thing I have to do is change fluid every 60k, which is what I would do to a conventional automatic.

As far as efficiency, I would say middle of the road. I get an average 30 MPG in a midsize 3300 pound sedan, I would say average.

The one thing I will say about them is that they get NOISY. Mine has just started to make a whine noise, and I have heard a lot of older altimas making the same noise or louder.

From the data available, I expect it to last 150-200k, about the same as any other standard auto.

There are late nineties Hondas with CVTs. Explain that.

Same thing with Subarus. Subies just keep on fucking going if you keep up with regular maintence.

>transmissions

Subaru had the first production CVT in the Justy back in the late 80's. Funny, they just recently extended their warranties on the newer CVTs