Computer free cars

What is the most recent car without any computerized/electronic control over car components? Basically, I want a vehicle that is fully mechanical without any drive-by-wire/brake-by-wire/etc. shenanigans. Age doesn't matter that much, as long as the car is reliable and easy to work on with plenty of spare parts. Other concerns are gas mileage, roominess (I want at least a 4 door, hatchback style preferred) and safety. Price isn't a major issue. Also, I live in America so it would have to be stuff on the market here. What are your recommendations, Veeky Forums?

A fleet pickup truck or van like a Ferd Transit. Otherwise rental car tier Focus or other small car.

They all have EFI tho

dude drive by wire is like standardized

are you against electronics in cars because your stupid as shit and dont understand ohms law?

yeah your stupid is dumb as shit too

I'm against computerized vehicles because of the piss poor isolation between networked components (this includes radios) and the critical components of a car's functioning
I'm from /g/ and basically I have an extremely low opinion and high distrust of all computer-based technologies and would prefer to avoid them if at all possible

1990s diesel is likely the best your going to get. Once 96 and OBD2 rolled around, everything is pretty well full of computers.

So basically you're a moron.

Conspiritards need to be rounded up and shot

>hurrrr durrrr im such a special snowflake! corporations and the government are all out to get me!

kys

So do you have any suggestions or are you just going to shitpost?

The days of non-computerized vehicles is over.

If you want a nice car you legitimately like, you're only hope is to get an old car and restore it the way you want it.

1993 Honda cb400 Super Four.

Age really isn't an issue
I can go all the way back to the early 70s if need be

Well do that then.

Well, I'm asking what would be a good fit for the other parameters during those timeperiods

Rip everything with electricity out, put a Motec or Haltec ECU in it and put back in what you like.

Toyota corona station wagon

Have you been to Veeky Forums before? It's all shitposting all the time. Leave while you can.

>auto transmission
user...

All I know is that my 1998 Peugeot 205 is completely analog. Throttle is connected to the gas lever on the engine with a physical wire and the brakes aren't even boosted. No power steering either.

There is an ecu, but all that does is manage some critical sensors and be really hard to get a read out from. Radio is some random head unit and there are some electronics that are all broken. Certainly nothing that some evil corporation can hack into.

My car unfortunately isn't available in de USA, but I think most p pre 2000 cars will do.

If you're really that paranoid, just build your own car and install Gentoo on it. Like holy shit, the world is not it to get you.

Thank you for your good suggestion. I'm looking into it now.

>Gentoo
The Linux kernel is insecure garbage. I wouldn't trust my computer to it, let alone a moving vehicle.

Double ET grad here: Op, your problem with computers and electronics is the specific ways they're applied in newer vehicles, there is nothing inherently wrong with using simplistic, non-networked electronic controls in general. The mere presence of a computer doesn't necessarily mean it has the capability to be remotely hacked or turn sky net on you. I've got a 1999 rav 4 with an aftermarket head unit. I am 100% sure that the physical hardware and connections that would be required for a ranged attack simply aren't there.

These are cool but dog slow (see: 240D)

Drive by wire is good if you're a shitcunt driver who just stabs the throttle with no regard for air speed - because the computer will open the throttle to the right amount at the right speed for best performance (Wide open throttle isn't always the best for torque at all RPMs and opening the throttle to quick can create an airspeed stall).
Since almost all daily drivers fit into this category drive by wire is probably a good thing.

But in my experience, as someone who likes to have an active input on the throttle rates for best air speed, drive by wire gets in the way.

Theoretically a radio signal is enough to do the damage if the manufacturer was too myopic to have proper component isolation put in on the main computer
But I see what you're saying, I'd just prefer not to take the risk. There's a certain comfort in knowing that when you put your foot on the pedal, that you're actually performing a mechanical task instead of just sending signals to an interpreter.

>There's a certain comfort in knowing that when you put your foot on the pedal, that you're actually performing a mechanical task instead of just sending signals to an interpreter.

I know that feel well and I can tell you to simply buy any car old enough to be carburetted.

>What is the most recent car without any computerized/electronic control over car components?

Your mileage will drop.

It has to be a carburetor car. And not a modern carb because those have electronics. It would be a really old carburetor car with sparks from a magneto and distributor cap. It cannot use electronic spark or anti-knock electronic feedback control.

You'll be tuning your carb all the time to compensate for wear and tear, spark plug wear, carbon, and even points wear. All that is taken care of by modern electronics that basically tunes your engine for you (tune-up). That's why you never see "tune-up" as an advertised specific maintenance because modern computers continuously tune-up the engine as things wear.

My 86 volvo has efi but the ecu is all analog, no abs, no 1s or 0s in the whole thing

I don't like drive by wire because of how fucking laggy it is in every car with it I've ever driven. The throttle response is just awful.

any car without bluetooth, onstar, or gps will be fine for you then

>sparks from a magneto

Never heard of mechanical points?

This really, even if magic boogeymen used radio to attack your vehicle what would they target?

>Thinks any cars made before 2010 have any wireless data connection to any operational system at all
>I'm from /g/

I was thinking the same thing

OP is a 13 year old retard

>You'll be tuning your carb all the time to compensate for wear and tear, spark plug wear, carbon, and even points wear.

No he won't you fear monger, certainly not all the time.

Get back in the trailer grandpa!

>I actually have experience with carbs, unlike you talking out of your arse, must be grandpa
Compelling argument.

I'm thinking of buying a yugo for a beater. Those are as basic as you get.

>This really, even if magic boogeymen used radio to attack your vehicle what would they target?
Precisely. I want there to be nothing that could be affected by any wireless signals. That excludes drive-by-wire.

>>Thinks any cars made before 2010 have any wireless data connection to any operational system at all
>>I'm from /g/
It's all ultimately hooked up to the same unit. Unless the manufacturer was good at component isolation (protip: they're not, see Infiniti), then there is a risk from a skillful enough attacker.

>I'm thinking of buying a yugo for a beater. Those are as basic as you get.
I wouldn't. I've heard terrible things about melting dashboards and the like.

My suggestion too, old mechanical diesels are basically nuke proof and much easier then carburettors if you want to go full electronic less. If you really distrust computers that much, just get a pre-OBD2 vehicle without CAN, they are very reliable.

What would be some good options? 80s/90s Mercedes wagon of some sort?

3k civic, Not even memeing

Try a performance car

Run a 320/6 intake manifold and carb on a 325i E30
Or just a homemade stroker but idk cbf in your American context

Running ideally with an ljet based distributor

Not a single computer in the way of anything at that point. All that's left is simply diagnosis systems that are not required

Gets you a tidy sporty sedan that is comfy and safe enough

You are aware there's a difference between computerized and electronic right?

Drive a manual cable linked carb, then drive a manual dbw efi.
You'll reliase the true driving enthusiast choice is the cable throttle linkage.
Absolutely no delay, extremely crisp inputs that react consistently.
Heel toeing on the touge is a dream. EFI and DBW are fucking trash.

Mechanic student here.

Dont.

If you dont want hack-able shit into your car that's perfectly fine. But computers in your car makes the car work better in a more reliable way in more conditions.

Latest Focus is packed full of computers tho.

>mfw I pushed in the clutch today and the radio changed channels
>still can't fucking understand how that happened

I'm with you /g/ bro, I've been considering getting rid of my phone for a while now, not even memeing

That's not all man, the wheel is on the wrong side of the car!

>a closed system can somehow be compromised remotely

Ayyyy 205 Masterrace

It can your just too dumb and stupid to realize it

Anything pre-OBD. I have a 1984 BMW that does have an ECU, but it's really just a fuel and spark computer. Incredibly crude, but refined enough to still be reliable EFI. You at least want EFI.

If you're concerned with EMP, you can always just put your ECU in a small faraday cage.

Most cars from the 80's had mechanical throttle bodies, hydraulic steering, hydraulic brakes, hydraulic clutches. The most electric nannies you might find are ABS systems, which are as primitive as you might imagine. They work on an encoder wheel on each wheel, and some form of signal processing to determine if the wheels have been locked or not. But back then, ABS was a pretty bourgeoisie option.

The other cool thing about cars from the 80's is that when they did have electronics, all of the functions were pretty much disintegrated. My car has an instantaneous MPG gauge on the dash cluster, but it also has a little computer in the center dash that calculates average MPG, range, and stuff like that. The two systems calculate the same number completely in parallel. There is zero crosstalk. Stuff like stereos, turn signals, interior lights, all that shit is controlled by an independent circuit. Nothing talks to a central computer.

For your needs, I might look at an early version GTI. Cars from the 80's broke. Often. But when they did, they were designed to be fixed in a driveway much of the time.

Those are pretty nice yeah, any

Just to make a point, you can remove the ECU from the car entirely and still crank the starter. It won't do anything but murder your battery, but even the gauges still work.

Yeah just saying that cheap cars like that sonetimes you can get a bare bones fleet model. But everything new is going to be run by a computer.

Best bet is old carbed car but it won't be efficient. Maybe old car with a newer crate motor that runs off an ECU which isn't connected to everything else in the car. Diesel with mechanical fuel injection maybe? But most OBDII stuff would be a no-go.

>3L i4 90 hp mechanical diesel
GENITAL MOISTURE

The other cool thing about cars from the 80's is that the ones that were really fucked from the start have all broken and been scrapped by now. My BMW has 220,000 miles on it and it's still making sweet, sweet SOHC solid lifter noises.

Many modern cars also have two oxygen sensors. One pre-cat, and one post-cat. The previous owner of my car just fucking angle grindered the cat out and welded a glasspack in place and the car doesn't give a shit. Just one sensor.

>much easier then carburettors

As long as you never have to touch the injector pump.

If you do and you don't have a machine shop and a list of tolerances you might as well throw it away

>But these were the days of 3 litre inline4 engines that produced _90hp_

You can still get those engines today.

Look up the Toyota 5L and 3L. They were used in much more vehicles than just the landcruisers

Just get a ford falcon OP

An 84 BMW isn't EFI. It's MFI.
K-Jet doesn't use an ECU to fire injectors.
The ECU controls things like warm up and idle up.

I'm glad that cars will be required to have backup cameras and screens starting next year. Anything that makes retarded luddites like OP mad is good in my book. Plus backup cameras are useful

Late 90s efi is all drive by wire

Up until 2005 as well

Wrong. My E46 has a throttle cable and hydraulic steering. There is a DSC nanny override but that can be disabled.

Cutoff for that happened starting in the early 80s going to the mid 80s. I'd say everything after 1985 or so had some sort of fuel injection with some sort of ECU running it. Electronic ignition didn't start creeping in until the late 80s with mid 90s cars pretty much all having it. Electronic auto trans started showing up in the late 90s and by mid 00s all cars pretty much had it.

To be safe most cars in the 70s were still mechanical, only a handful of high end cars had anything electronic on them.

Many motorcycles were carbed with the only electronics being the ignition and safety lockouts until the late 2000xs

I hate drive by wire so much and it's a major factor why I don't ever want to buy a newer car. I'm hoping that someday soon people will figure out how to fool DBW so you can mod cars to have throttle linkage without the ecu going batshit on you

It sounds like you need nothing short of a bicycle. Good luck with that.

OP here
Currently looking at a 1982 diesel VW Rabbit
Good idea? I kind of like the MPG factor of it all despite its size

Absolutely nothing fits your criteria

>you never see "tune-up" as an advertised specific maintenance
Wat. Every dirtbag mechanic on my street advertises them.

1975 and earlier

NB miata
Drive by cable, hydraulic clutch and brakes, rack and pinion steering, abs is an option and no traction control
Get an 04 or an 05 if you really want a "newer" car, good examples can be had for ~6k

Buy some poverty tier new cars like Ladas, Dacias, and strange asian brands like tata or mahindra (or however it's written).

What can y'all tell me about an '81 Civic Wagon?

>tata
Wut? Land Rovers are full of gadgets and computers!

>your
kill you are self

>What is the most recent car without any computerized/electronic control over car components?

If you don't want electronic ignition or any computerized carb mixture control you're looking at about 1974 or older. at that point your gas mileage requirements are out the window, as well as pleny of parts unless is's something like a tree-fiddy, which have exact parts interchange from 1955-2017, as any SBC fanboy will tell you.

>Electronic ignition didn't start creeping in until the late 80s

STOP POSTING

OP, I don't think that the NSA is going to assassinate you if your car has EFI. Get over yourself.

>are you against electronics in cars because your stupid as shit and dont understand ohms law?
Luddites gonna luddite.

you do realize that the driver is the weakest link in all of these devices, right?

Maybe in you're car, lol, but difinitley not mine.

I don't care about steer by wire and gas by wire. But I can't get around brakes by wires. Just doesn't feel right.

I too hate it when my brakes don't feel like they're made of gravel or require a fuckton of force to actuate.

You are not a /g/entooman i suppose

focus mk2

Cars aren't likely to be affected by EMPs. The electronics have to be able to run off the wild voltages produced by the alternator if the battery gets disconnected during a drive. So unless we're talking Nic Cage "KNOW1NG" type solar flares then your car is going to be fine.

An aircooled VW or some body on frame AWD like a Defender or a Landcruiser or something.
Or a base model Dacia or Skoda maybe?

My 2002 s15 has no drive by wire, no traction control, and has a very driver centric analogue feel.

Abliet it still has radio, and ABS.