/ORG/ - Summerfag Edition

Offroad and oveRland General

>Old thread:
>Older thread:
>/out/er thread:
>/pirate4x4/ thread:
pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/699969-anybody-here-surf-Veeky Forums-board.html

ITT:
>we post scandanavian offroaders
>icelandic super offroaders
>missing aspects of winter
>overrun by summerfags over and over again
>everyone puts away their off road winter beaters
>everyone is actually offroading and overlanding as to have no time to shitpost
>suburban cruisers

ORGs are no longer pinned by mods.
>feels bad man
Gay copypasty:
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2389619
>discord.gg/SenfAyU
>watracing.com/?product=off-road-general

Show us the glorious summer pictures and bodies riddled with mozzie bites.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwylKztd7jE
youtube.com/watch?v=DcgKdBBqq4s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>daily drivers

r a l l y

s u m m e r

>ORGs are no longer pinned by mods.
Were they ever? Also, dubs mean this one might actually make it.

Yeah, multiple times.

They were always pinned when the threads reached 250+ replies and since no mod actually offroads, they didn't last too long at the top.

that looks fun

Have another

>pirate4x4

Hey yall, looking for an older tahoe/suburban with a 4k max budget, anything I should be looking out for?

A few issues around. The Suburbans are pretty reliable (engine dependent) so you just have random things that break down and are pretty easy fixes. They just take a lot of time, of course.

With $4k, prepare to sink in $1k in repairs over the next few months as things just rear their head. Better than the $1k suburbans that people spend $4k getting up to speed, desu.

>the best offroad forum on the nets

Thanks for the response,my family has had them since the early 80s

Naice. They're easy to work on.

What generation and style?

So I just bought this '93 turbo wagon with a blown head gasket. Pulled the head, and decked it at my shop, taking it down 20thou, and did a full head job (valve job, porting, etc.).

The goal is to make it an overlander/prerunner. I have a welder buddy that works at 4wheelparts extending the front shock tubes, and I found some cherokee front springs for the rear end. Debating making the shock tubes even longer, and putting the grand cherokee spring pucks in the rear for more lift.

I haven't decided on the tires I'll be running, any recommendations for good at/mt tires that come in 15's?

>vulva oberlander
never seen one of those before

I'm not sure the underlying drivetrain will be able to handle more than 2 or 3 inches of lift. You're going to mess around with the angles and wreck a few things if you put it under harder stress than is normally given.

The volvo is a good car by itself. Why not drive that to save gas as a daily and start a new from an old single cab pickup instead?

>>everyone puts away their off road winter beaters
that's a pretty good guess user

I already have an old single cab. Volvo turbo motor, high comp pistons, T5 world class tranny.

I wanted to build a ridiculous overlander, not a good one.

What's the cheapest and best gas mileage 4x4 I can pick up? Cursory research leads me to something like a geo tracker or suzuki samurai or jeep comanche/cherokee. I don't necessarily need something to climb rocks and up mountains, but just safely go off road.

What do you want it for?

Driving on gravel and dirt trails, dry or wet, driving offroad up to lakes or camping areas. Like I said, doesn't need to be a trail master getting in and out of pools and ditches and up rock walls, just decently robust. I already know both my cars will get stuck trying to do this.

Forgot to add, DD-able. If I found a decent 4x4 near me, I'd probably sell a car and replace it with the 4x4. I was looking at the geo tracker or jeep comanche for instance because it doesn't look out of place as a DD, but I imagine it could get me decently /out/. Also relatively cheap it seems.

>DDable

>A bunch of cars they stopped making decades ago

Lol

Get an old TJ. They can be found at the same price if they have a well done lift kit on them. Then buy yourself an offroad trailer (just a trailer with large wheels)

Depends on the commute.

To be fair I've kept older cars running to this day. It's all about rust control and proper PMCS. There's really no reason a decently made car can't last long enough to give it to your grandkids.

>jeep tj
>10 mpg
>dd able

TJs can get mixed 16 if you're only running 31s.

If you're okay with being horribly uncomfortable, sure. They're cool offroad vehicles and are kinda annoying in the winter. Otherwise, good.

>very fast jeepo driving at incredibly fof road.jpg

That's a Toyota FJ40

>3.99 MB
>5312x2988
>blurry as all hell
y u do dis

I have a 2006 Defender 90. Start hating faggots.

So... I discovered yesterday there's nothing securing this center post. I can pull it out of the ground easily...

This bridge is part of a bike path network, but there's an old Gravel pit over there too. I crossed this bridge in my old Wrangler back in the day... looks like I'll be crossing it again sometime soon

my lj got around 16 mixed
when it wasn't in the shop that is

/org/ should i kill myself?
this is a serious question i am really not kidding

do it unless you're recon

How's org this lovely evening

What's your cruiser at now?

Post more pics of 40s.

Eh, been better, but at least I'm not as bad as

no
imagine the swifties that you won't get to see

Can subaru Baja go off roading? AWD is really only useful for racing, right?

14'ish

Why is AWD only good for racing?
AWD is good for a lot of occasional offroading and nothing with large rocks and stuff

Well, I guess I should have clarified. AWD in my experience really stomps the competition at rally races, which are offroad, so... I played myself with this one. But that does answer my question, I guess a Subaru Baja with a little lift to it could do some offroading as long as it doesn't have to crawl rocks, which I don't do anyways. Plus TURBO BOXER and a decent DD.

Anyone know if they fit into the "subaru family?" By which I mean, so many parts between models are pretty interchangeable, dunno about the light truck though.

You risk being a r/battlewagon meme but I'd do it if you want something small and compact that you can occasionally offroad.

Just don't do the offroad mods of rice that (((battlewagons))) are known for.

The Subaru Baja is the same as an outback of the same year which is the same as a Legacy, so most parts are interchange between the three

So basically any lift compatible for an outback is also going to fit onto your Baja. Subaru also uses the same bolt pattern for their brakes across all platforms, so you can probably fit WRX pads and rotors if you want to

bolbo!
guy i work with has a lifted xc70 cross country with some bfg's on it. it actually looks sweet as fuck. ill try to snap a pic next time

Hahaha. Truth!

why not the XC90?

Baja user back again - my prospective vehicles are a 2005, 5 speed Baja and a 1999, 5 speed, 4 cylinder (I think) 4x4 Tacoma. 4500 usd and 5000 usd respectively. What seems like the better option for a mix of DD and ORG?

4x4 Taco will destroy gas and will be pretty uncomfortable but is better than the Baja for offroading. Baja will be much more comfortable, newer, better on insurance, but will be much less forgiving if you accidentally drive over a rock larger than you'd think or accidentally hit a tree.

Ever consider an SUV with a frame?

I haven't driven anything except sports cars since I was 18, what's an example? Like a cherokee?

>99 Tacoma 4x4
Good taste man

Based Taco poster

REEEEEEE
TUNDIES

Good news! This weekend was productive
>Power steering fluid leak
Fixed
>Fuel leak
Fixed
>Oil leak
Eh...... "Pretty much" fixed?

Been thinkin about one of these awnings... Not 100% sure if they're worth the money though. It sure would beat my shitty Tarp, parachute cord, and zip tie setup I currently set up but they seem kinda small for the price...

Why? Equally serious question.

How much are awnings

Post more.

Is this on private land? I thought there weren't many trails in Scandanavia.

New tires this week

Get hype

So this isn't necessary off road stuff, but I'm test driving a 4runner tonight. I just figured some of you guys have some experience with Toyotas.
>1999
>5 speed
>4 cylinder
>162k miles
>new stereo, shocks, and tires within the last 3 years
>$3500
I away hoping someone could help me get a feel for the car and maybe would have some specific things I should look for. I tried the Toyota general but idk.
I know the owner and he's a good guy and mechanically inclined so he didn't fuck it up. He was testing to sell it to his sister (my gf) and was going to give her I good deal and I asked if I could get that same price.
My buddy also rode in the car on a 300 mile trip through a mountain pass in the middle of a bad winter and said it was "mint"

What're you getting?

Selling my 31's next week to make room & get some money for the 35's I plan on putting on next year. I asked my local dealer about what 35's he can supply and what they'd cost, and for a set of Toyo Open Country MT's (same as I have now in 31) it was $1050, mounted and balanced with new valves; a damned good deal for norwegian prices

Next winter I'll probably bite the bullet and get a set of Goodyear Wrangler Dutratracs as winter tires and put some overkill studs into them... still, they're fucking expensive tires

The 1980 xr7 mercury cougar inline 6 is perhaps the greatest offroad capable vehicle to ever go into production

crownon can verify

>still, they're fucking expensive tires
worth the money because they make the ride comfortable and less noisy. spent $1200 on the set of four for taytaynger

pretty much perfect for the mixed highway / offroad driving I do on them. cruises at 90 very, very comfortably considering they're the light duty pickup torsion bar trucks

why do you just buy tracky tires

Don't care about comfort or noise really, I just want something that does good both onroad and offroad winter. My current Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV's are killer tires when it comes to on-road grip, but can't do shit offroad as they're street tires

What is "tracky"?

Oh since I'm here. I've been looking up the hyploid gear oil in 5 or 20 litre drums for my Land Cruiser and can't seem to find them anywhere besides mobil certified dealerships. They sell them by the 1 quart (0.946 litres) for something ludicrous like $22 each. Where did you get your hyploid? I'm planning on taking the Land Cruiser up to Northern Ontario for a month in winter (if work works out) so operating in -30 degrees will benefit from some better gear oil if stuck in snow.

Is your vehicle 2 or 4wd? Do what I did with my old chevy 'lorado. Chain the two spinning tyres while operating Michelin streeters. How are pre-current hiluxes for comfort? Tacomas used to kill your kidneys.
Duratracs work but what is wrong with KO2 (or even KOs) or cheap Coopers if you're not concerned about comfort? Duratracs are odd since they don't bubble out at the side walls as much but the modern ones fixed that with their "D" rated sidewalls.

I'm running standard transmission oil on my diffs, no hypoid - but I do have a buddy who runs it on his offroaders

He says its more important to have during summer due to how hypoid oil isn't as effected by the heat, and maintains its lubricating effects through much higher temperatures

I mean, you can easily overheat the oil on your diff in winter aswell, but for obvious reasons its a smaller issue then

Its 4WD - 2WD pickups that aren't 40 year old garage queens are extremely rare here, for reasons that are probably obvious. As for comfort; some people drive these things and think they're terrible, while others like me drive them and find them to be fantastically comfortable... its probably because I'm young and in good health; I don't think about the stiffer ride, the bumps in the road and so on

As for why Duratracs; they get good reviews for winter conditions, have stud holes from te factory, decently aggresive siping, and slightly more aggresive thread than other tires

I could probably go full retard and get a set of these, put some tractor studs in them and
spend a day hand-siping them, but unsure if they'd even then be safe to use on the winter roads

Getting some Cooper Discoverer ATPs and going from 30s to 32s. They're kind of moderate but I'll be getting busy with school soon and won't be offroading as much, but they're good for the slush I'll be driving in up in Northern Arizona

That's not me fuck off

1980 mercury cougar is more reliable than any japanese designed car ever.

Just missed out on a great deal because I took too long to get in touch with the seller. It was a super clean 04 Tacoma that some guy, who I'm assuming is rich, was selling. He told me he let it go for $2500 today. I'm kicking myself right now.

>'04 Taco
>$2500
Was it a base model or just rusted to shit?

Not positive about the trim package. It was V6 manual 4WD, but it had an unpainted front bumper and flares. Had a brand new frame replaced by Toyota, brand new spray on bed liner, and the interior looked perfect. He had it listed for $5,000 but said he sold it for $2500. There were a few Porsches and stuff in his driveway in the background, so I'm assuming he let it go cheap because he didn't care too much about the money. I'm really pissed at myself right now.

AND YOU DIDNT TAKE IT

Didn't even get the chance to look at it. I meant to text him yesterday and forgot. Texted him today and he said he sold it.

Left, or right?

Bummer, dude

As long as you're not afraid to ding it and don't care too much about the electronics, right all the way.

i F O R C E

You're more or less right about that. I just went to check under my Land Cruiser and saw that the rubber had broken down on the breather tubes. Checked it with my finger and it was milky green from the thunderstorms a while back. Whoops. Ran to Cambodian Tyre and got 5 litres of diff fluid and am draining it now. Just started to rain so I tarped it and will leave it for the morning.

I guess hypoid will have to wait. I was more going to switch to hypoid because then I would care more about my diff breathers but also so that it can deal with -40 weather that suddenly heats up the gears to +40 in 3 minute tops. Grinding through tough snow is really hard on SAS interiors as well.

I'd get the studs if they don't salt the roads. People do tyre changes every year and studding / not studding them twice a year won't be that hard as well.

Duratracs aren't THAT good off road. They're mid tier and take well to deflation. MT Kevlars are what the Jeeps around here run despite goodyear being a shit.

>2,500 for anything

traction tires

Buckshot wide mudders>everything else

>Dat 30/32 tread depth

Oh my God I can just hear the sound of them when over 30mph through my screen. VVSSHHHHWWWWVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

>not stealing your truck and all of your upgrades

Steal oil from people's cars at midnight. Gear Oil too

They'd be dedicated winter tires, and thus I wouldn't unstud them. And as I said; I'm looking for something that would do well on road and well offroad, and the Duratrac seems the best compromise for a winter tire, unless I go full retard and buy the 35" tires that Arctic Trucks use on their vehicles for winter at $630 per tire without studs

Are Open Country MT's and and Duratracs considered traction tires?

Those gorilla tyres are really nice. Side walls being bubbles really helps with rivers and snow. On road comfort too.

As you said, $600 per tyre tho. Saw them everywhere in iceland. A lot of offroad Merc Sprinters too. I'd recommend those hehe.
Or Michelin XRs. Do you have military surplus there?

This is at Rudskogen offroad park.
There are trails in scandinavia where you can drive and fuck around as much as you want, and outside populated areas people dont really care all that much if you do it. This is Norway, i think Sweden is even more relaxed about it.

this is after the hilux has been buried under snow for 10 months on the south pole btw

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwylKztd7jE

I have been looking at the Maxxis M8060, MT Baja Claw and IROK Super Swampers. The Maxxis ones are quite expensive, one of the local shops are MT-dealers but haven't got back to me on the price yet, and the IROK Super Swampers are also damned expensive

I probably will just buy the damned Duratracs - if I was gonna use them purely as an offroad deep snow tire I'd get an actual mud-terrain aind modify it, but I still want to maintain some level of on-road performance

Military surplus; nah. There are sometimes stacks of used tires and wheels being sold on military auctions when they clean store or shut down a camp, but they are either big truck tires or standard tires for the MB G-Class we use, which are quite small all-terrain(ish)s

Yup, rememer reading that on the photo. Do you know what the exact process is whey dig it up? Just put a freshly charged battery in, dig around and drive out, or more?

Get $4000 tracks for the snow. If it works for the HUMVEEs, it'll work for a TACO.

Anyway, yeah. Best not to over think it with these tyres, eh. You'd be more than happy with the duratracs I think.

>tracks

Fucking heresy

Forgot the link
youtube.com/watch?v=DcgKdBBqq4s

tracks are horrible. heavy, complicated, expensive, will break down and will ruin your vehicle.