Why do Mopeds and Scooters have such a bad rep in the U.S...

Why do Mopeds and Scooters have such a bad rep in the U.S? They're undoubtedly the best means of transportation if you live in an urban area.
>hurr durr girls don't like it
idgaf what roasties think

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mU1OjYJeqV4
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15212867/
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14228818/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yank macho-ness only exists at a superficial level

kids here ride em cuz they cant get car license till they are 18

moped license is 15

Real mopeds don't have a bad rep, tweekers and Mexicans riding shitty Chinese scooters are what have the bad rep.
People love real mopeds.

They're for people who got done for DUI, i.e. scum of the earth and poorfags.

But you still need a license to drive a moped/scooter, so that makes no sense.

Ones under 50cc don't need a license, no? Hence why DUI people have them.

Depends on the state.

Why get a moped when the grom exists though? Gets 125 mpg, cheap to buy, and can do higher speeds a bit better than a moped.

Inb4 too lazy to get motorcycle license

Every state requires you to have a license to drive any vehicle on public roads, show me a state where you don't need a license to operate a scooter.

Under 50cc is a scooter/moped which still needs a license, although a car or motorcycle license is acceptable.
Over 49cc you need a motorcycle license.

Americans miss all the fun
youtube.com/watch?v=mU1OjYJeqV4

It just seems like the second gayest way to die

The first being fucked to death by many mustached men while wearing nothing but untied timberlands.

If you're going get a bike get a bike why assume the risk for none of the reward?

Grom is way too expensive for what it is.
It should cost 800-1000 less than it does.

Bought one after i crashed my car. Lost My license and i only had 4 miles from my home to college.
T. Eurocuck

They are not practical even in a city environment.
>it's raining,
better put a nylon gimp suit over top of my $2000 suit because who can afford to live in the city and work at Wal-Mart
>snow on the ground 30% of the year
Better put on my snow chains
>crack head Eddie stole my tire to use it as a hemoroid pillow
Better put the spare on
>Costco trip!
That takes 18 runs back and forth from home to fit everything
>it's so small and compact
And because of that you don't get a spot in the underground garage and due to building regs. can't bring the moped inside the unit for storage

Because
>50cc is poverty spec
>Highway is everywhere and Wide open road, cheap gas--really, do you want to deal with that dinky-ass shit?
>You can drive when you're 16 by yourself, 15 with parents. I think we're okay with cars.

Also, everybody drives fast in their cars here and half of them don't need to be. I think I like living.

Have fun living a boring life

DUI mobiles

They're shit. I saw one trying to navigate a bumpy road a while ago; the shitty suspension, tiny wheels, and short suspension travel lead to the wheels leaving the ground constantly. They nearly came off when the rear wheel left the ground just before the front wheel did from another bump.

Get a real motorbike, or cycle.

South Carolina, under 50ccs you don't need anything. Though you can still get a DUI if caught drunk Driving on one

They're motorcycles for people who are too dumb to shift or too poor for motorcycles. Not more practical than motorcycles either - everything short of a maxi scooter is actually less practical.

They're only popular when they are an economic or legal necessity.

Florida. 50ccs and under you don't need a license or insurance.

Because there's a shitton more open road in the US and the only place they're worthwhile (city centers) are a fraction of the area of a city. Except maybe NYC but NYC is for fags.

>Why get a moped when the grom exists though?
Because step through frame, automatic, cheaper second hand, and who cares about higher speed if you're only doing 30 innacity.

>rain
Rainsuit fits under the seat. Nobody wear ATGATT if you're going less than pushbike speeds.
>snow
Not everybody has snow.
>theft
Can apply to all vehicles, even moreso to cars and bicycles.
>groceries
If you live in a proper city, you can walk. If you don't, get a top case, fill your underseat, and take a set of shopping bags between your legs.
>no sports in underground garage
So? They're cheap and disposable, just let them rust outside. Or get a decent place to live where they'll just allow them.

Not saying this isn't true because I have no idea really but I thought you still need a drivers license to operate sub 50cc scooters on roads? I know you don't need the moto endorsement but you don't even need a license at all?

Shifter scooters exist. They are a cheap and simple alternative for motorcycles in the city though, at least I don't feel obligated to suit up completely when I'm riding one. Why bother when I'm not going fast than a bicycle? Maxiscooters are actually pretty unwiedly imo, and living by myself I don't need to carry much.

They're economic, small, and nimble. Basically a bicycle for people who don't want to pedal, and it excels at that role.

heres a question: if i lived in a 50cc unregulated state, could i get a really stout 50cc and turbo that cunt and still be unregulated?

"You are required to have a valid Class E driver's license and you must be at least 16 years old to ride a motorized scooter in the state of Florida. You cannot register or title a motorized scooter, and you cannot drive a motorized scooter on sidewalks."

"After December 31, 1986, to operate a moped on the public highways and streets of this State, a person must possess a valid driver's license issued under Article 1 of this chapter or a valid moped operator's license issued under this article"

Most states say over 30mph means it's instantly a motorcycle, some states it's 25mph.
Also sometimes they says stuff like over 1.5hp means it's legally a motorcycle, but who's gonna dyno it.

qt desu. blue would look better tho

>sexy girls
>subhuman chinks
pick one, race traitor.

>Turbo... 50cc?
I guess you could?
Pretty sure Georgia doesn't have speed restriction for

"Mopeds can't be used on roads where the minimum speed is above 35 MPH, or on limited-access highways. Additionally, you'll need to be at least 15 years old and have a valid driver's license, instructional permit, or limited permit to drive a moped. You must also wear a helmet when riding."

30mph is the legal limit of a moped in Georgia
"The state defines a moped as a vehicle that:
Has an engine that doesn't exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
Can't go faster than 30 MPH.
Doesn't require clutching or shifting."

>idgaf what roasties think

That's good because they don't give a shit what you think either, and neither does anybody else

I like this thing what is it?

Well shit

>at least I don't feel obligated to suit up completely when I'm riding one. Why bother when I'm not going fast than a bicycle?

You know, a scooter at 20mph and a motorcycle at 20mph are equally dangerous. On rough terrain, the scooter moreso.

You feel the need to suit up on a bike because of peer pressure insisting you preserve yourself a little better. However, scooterfag lives are considered worthless because they're for hipsters and poor people.

Honda hobbit, pretty heavily modified.
I fuck with hobbits a lot.

Nice, I have a Honda express I'm restoring.
Have any tips for recovering a title for one of these bad boys by any chance?

>recovering a title
GL pham
Why do you need a title?
Most states you don't need a title to register a moped, mine you don't.

Because Ohio.
Also I need some sort of certificate of safety from Honda or something

I'm not exactly riding on dirt when I'm going through the city. I don't suit up on a scooter because I don't suit up for a 25mph bicycle ride either.

>i'm not riding on dirt
Bumpy pavement exists.

You don't suit up on a 25mph bicycle because the heavy clothes combined with the physical exertion would fuck you over and the peer pressure to wear appropriate gear (knee and elbow pads, gloves, downhill helmet if you value your teeth) doesn't exist. Instead, peer pressure to wear zero gear exists because "it's for pussies".
You don't suit up on a 25mph scooter because the peer pressure to wear gear isn't there and peer pressure to not wear shit is there because "it's just a scooter, pussy"
You suit up on a 25mph motorcycle because the peer pressure is there.

The risks are all the same. The amount of gear you need to not break your wrist when a car flips you over does not change.

Not hard to understand.

I ride my moped off-road, it's not bad at all.

Mopeds have bigger wheels and better suspensions than city scooters. Mopeds are pretty much motorcycles with auxillary pedals. Scooters are pieces of shit with engines accounted for in the unsprung mass.

I've taken scooters off road too, hell I've jumped them out in the desert and they handled it fine
Also mopeds aren't motorcycles lol, the springs in the rear have no dampening in the rear or the front and the front are typically stamped steel forks.
At least with a scooter the forks are usually billet or cast.

>Also mopeds aren't motorcycles lol, the springs in the rear have no dampening in the rear or the front and the front are typically stamped steel forks.

A shitty motorcycle is still a motorcycle

>idgaf what roasties think
ah so you're going the incel route

also because in the US going 30 MPH in a city is not fast enough and also who the fuck wants to be stranded in the city?

the real patriarchal city transport is the metro

Lol no, it's a moped

>Why do Mopeds and Scooters have such a bad rep in the U.S?
Because people starting out in life still look down on them just like the person in this story:

It's Not Good Enough:
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15212867/

It's Not Prestigious Enough:
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14228818/

>They're undoubtedly the best means of transportation if you live in an urban area.
Maybe but you have to consider the downsides. Ignoring downsides can get you maimed and in the poor house the rest of your life We have a lot of concrete roads here and they are worn smooth by the cars. The exposed pebble tops are are super smooth. To the small tire of the scooter, they don't have much grip if it is a gentle curve and the scooter is racing at 30 MPH which is still too slow for our 40MPH drivers.

Here's what happens. On the curve, there is a bump. The scooter hits the bump at 30MPH and the front wheel leaves the surface and comes down at an angle because the road is curving. The wheel slides and now the scooter slips out and slides with the rider. The scooter and rider slide into the opponsing lane traffic because it is a curve.

We had that happen years ago on our Benson Road. That turned a lot of people off scooters to the point of if you bring up scooters, people immediately say "Who wants to ride a death trap?".

>You know, a scooter at 20mph and a motorcycle at 20mph are equally dangerous. On rough terrain, the scooter moreso.
No. At any speed, a scooter is more dangerous because of tiny wheels and lack of suspension travel.
'Rough terrain' for a scooter is any sort of real road. At least a proper motorbike will soak up potholes and bumpy roads. A scooter will just kick you off or break and THEN buck you off.

Because they've got the same footprint as a motorcycle but they're a million times shittier.

A guy on a scooter seems 10x gayer than the guy driving a Miata.

y head so big and person so smol

People who know they exist generally like them.

They fill a great niche for easy licenses for close knit urban areas, but nobody makes them anymore except for chinks who charge a fuckton for them.

There's actually probably a market for a minimalist sold aluminum body shell 49cc moped like a Honda PA50 for ultra poorfags.

Get a derbi you fucking faggot.

two wheels is not practical because lanesplitting/filtering is illegal

I mean if cars get like 40mpg and you can't go between cars a scooter is literally useless.

So if you buy a motorcycle like me it's purely because you're too poor to get a sports car and got a sport bike.

I like the derbi motors but the stamped steel frames are fucking ugly lol, I'd totally put a derbi motor on a puch magnum frame tho

Mopeds
> (You)
>the stamped steel frames are fucking ugly

Uglier than a hobbit? I think magnums are overrated but I'm a step through man. What city are you in?

> (OP)
>two wheels is not practical because lanesplitting/filtering is illegal

Lanesplitting is not illegal everywhere.

My NC50 has the same 49cc engine but doesn't have pedals.
Local ordinance defines scooters as being 50cc or higher
And mopeds as having pedals
So is this neither in the eyes of the law?

Fixed pic

I'm in Vegas
Yeah hobbits are tubular which is much nicer looking imo, I don't like stamped frames like derbi, Vespa si/bravo, motobecane, Puch maxi.
Tubular master race.

Meant ciao not bravo lol

It's a noped, basically the same as a scooter legally.
Also it's only single speed so don't bother trying to get more top speed, the hobbit is variated so they can push 60mph but the express is pretty much done around 35mph even when kitted/carbed

Mopeds make sense if you live in a city or a town where you never need to take a highway or anything bigger than a 4-lane road in your travels and where it doesn't snow that much. Otherwise they're just kinda a novelty.

Thanks for the info!
Last time I had this thing running, it was barely topping out at 25mph; but I also hadn't tuned it and the exhaust wasn't sealed against the cylinder so I'm sure that impacted performance somewhat.
Would swapping parts with a hobbit improve my performance at all?

You a Bob Ross?

Yep

Stupid exif rotation
You can't really put any hobbit stuff on the express except the cylinders and heads, the hobbits and expresses use the same exhaust flange but the mounting points are different of course.
Express was my first moped.

Noted.
Glad there's someone else who's had experience with one of these. I've had this around forever gathering dust and I would be remiss if I didn't attempt to give it a new chance at life.
I really want to drive it around the city

They're great mopeds stock, reliable af.
Just not the best platform for upgrading.
If you just want a stock moped to ride around on it's great.

Fuck yeah. Hogie a best.
You going to LA for the Bully rally?

Yeah I'm 90% certain I'm going, a couple other bob Ross members should be going as well.
Doing some welding and shit on Hogie's bike right now

Also you gonna be there?

Yeah, I'll be there. Shitposting irl

Fucking nice, come find the bob rosses

Because they are fun. I say that having owned an FJ1200, a ZZR1100, a Blackbird and a Hayabusa. Mopeds are a laugh, m80. Try it.

How about electric bicycles? I thought about putting one together myself and making my own battery pack with a stupidly high voltage for sanic speeds. Seems like you get all the benefits of a moped while having access to all the bike paths and being able to store it indoors. Also, no registration/insurance ever.

They're better for cities and smaller countries in general where everything is closer together.

Mopeds are shitty as fuck, at least buy something with 125cc. My GF has a Honda Elite 150 scooter and is quite good.

It's not the U.S only. No one respects Mopeds. Same shit with Miatas, when something looks gay, it looks gay.

It has nothing to do with ''macho attitudes''

>at least buy something with 125cc
most places anything under 50cc doesn't need to be registered, so that defeats the purpose of a moped

I don't think 'classic' scooters (vespas, cubs) have a bad reputation. People think they're cute/cool.

People (who don't ride them) hate 50cc 2-strokes since they're loud as all hell, and the people who ride them have no idea what they're doing.

Also at least when gas prices were really high it became a thing for poor people to ride Chinese electric scooters, so there's a poverty stigma with those.

Before he got his motorcycle license my brother (in Alberta) had a "50cc" 2-stroke Zuma that actually had an 80cc kit installed, and had the hearing raises. Could do 100kmh, although pretty spooky at those speeds.

I have had a scooter as only means of transportation.

It's awful

Fuck Scooters

Oh yea these fucking things are absolutely poverty tier. I doubt there's these in the US but here in the 3rd world you see some Chinese 50cc mopeds with a tiny truck bed attached, it forces them to ride in the road with cars and shit and their speed is like 40km/h max.

Colorado requires you have a valid license, your register it with the state at the DMV, but don't receive plates, and you must insure it to ride it on public roads.
But common legal wisdom in the state dictates none of that. Don't ever just believe what everyone think the law is, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. We don't let Drunks use scooters to get around.

I rode mopeds for 7 years as my only means of transportation. It felt okay while doing it but once i got a motorcycle and truck I realized how miserable it was. It's exhausting. Now it's a fun hobby but motorcycles are just better. Aesthetically I think mopeds are the best, though. A stock moped is just so utilitarian and unpretentious.

Come to Hawaii. Moped and scooters galore. I love mine. Fuck Honolulu traffic. I just hop in the bike lane and pass everyone.

Meanwhile in germany:
>50ccm
>may be overbore up to 53,9ccm
>4-gears
>manual with clutch like normal motorcycle
>allowed to drive 60 km/h
>drives 70 km/h (44mph) anyway
>can do wheelies

classified as a 50ccm scooter aka moped