Vs
MAC
Vs
Snap-On
Which do you choose?

>the one that comes by consistently

S-K

Bump

I get all my shit from matco but that's only cause that guy was the nicest most informative and honest one of the three I talked to and earned my respect. If he knows I can get the same tool cheaper somewear else or doesn't have it he'll point me in the right direction .

Pittsburgh

Stalhwille

Mastercraft MAXIMUM in Canada

The Snap-On rape van comes by every two or three days trying sell us new bs we don't need. Our original tools came from MAC but they stopped coming by as often, so most of our replaced tools are from Snap-On

>Which do you choose?
I go to the Harbor Freight tool truck. Their truck doesn't move and suspiciously looks like a 2 story building, but their newer superstores do have a lot more stuff than their original smaller stores. I wouldn't be surprised when they expand certain key locations into B2B services for auto parts. Many of their shop locations here are suspiciously large in unused property space. So I suspect they bought all their land with future expansion in mind.

Meanwhile, they are squeezing the profit margins of other store chains such as hardware stores and supermarkets to the point where those stores stopped carrying the tool and hardware variety they used to carry as they surrendered to Harbor Freight.

Well we can clearly tell who isnt a professional tech. Anyone who has ever done any type of mechanical or engine work/ heavy line associated stuff in a shop knows harbor freights nigger quality can never stand up to Snap on, IR, MAC, ect. (I dare you to post some sort of comparrison bullshit internet chart between that harbor freight earthquake impact and the snap on impact) Where im from if you walk into a shop with harbor freight tools looking for a job you will be a laughing stock.

Tool elitists are soo funny, enjoy overpaying and putting yourself in debt for the same shit

My ratchets are all Snap-on, but my sockets are mostly Mac, because I got the Mac's cheaper than what I could get Snappy's for.

2nd for Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh is pure, unadulterated shit. Pittsburgh Pro is actually okay, especially their impact sockets. I'd actually put the Pitt Pro on par with Sunex in that regard.

I GO WITH WHOEVER HAS THE MEMES

That's like telling a chef that he doesn't need a $400 knife or a photographer that he doesn't need a $10k camera setup.

sockets, ratchets, wrenches, snap on

impacts(air/electric) matco

random bull shit, tools to cut up/bend to replace special tools, hazard fraught

most of what I have bought in the last year off a truck has been matco, cause for the first 4 months I was at my dealership the snap-on guy was mostly mia, or showed up at 1800 on a friday. Whereas matco was there every Wednesday at noon.

>he spends money on tools
I rather spend money on my car 2bh.

harbor freight gets me where I need to go

kek

Cornwell nigger

Some people have jobs that require good tools

some NOS USA made stuff on ebay or used truck brand tools on ebay

>he's a "professional" wrench monkey paid to keep people's shitbox Toyotas from falling apart

I've never seen an SK truck but I love SK tools. Matco or Snapon quality for much less.

Have mostly Snap-on tools in my box, our dealer is really chill and not pushy.
Don't like using Matco, dealer looks like he's high on coke hopping I pay cash.
Havn't seen the MAC guy in a month, but thats alright.

Apparently there's a new growing company called Monster? Pic related.
Has any one tried them?

>Don't like using Matco
I used to exclusively use Matco, but our usual dealer apparently sold his business to another guy and he was fucking awful to deal with. Every time I wanted to get a warranty exchange on a tool the dealer would give me so much shit. He would ask if I abused it or despite me spending over $8k in tools, he would ask if I bought it at a pawn shop. Two years ago I switched to Cornwell and haven't looked back.

>he's a "professional"
I'm not and never claimed to be

he said tool trucks not crappy tire, chud nut.

ive been trying to get hold of my local snapon guy for months for a air rachet amd some torque tools. i actually think he died or disappeard or somthing.

See you could have gotten the tool replaced at your local crappy tire the same day

And not to mention those companies like Snap-On replace broken tools under their warranties, which normally do not break either way. Meanwhile Hobo Freight does not, and Craftsman does not if you are using them professionally.

How do you like cornwell? I use Mac with snap-on thrown in but haven't come across cornwell

Bump

I work on imports and only buy the cheapest tools at walmart.
I like to work on Lambos with Great Vaule (TM) grade Ratchet sets as I twerk my way through the enginebay.
I make so much dosh changing native american made belts with my Great Value (TM) hedging sheers. I find the Great Value (TM) chainsaws useful for pulled dents out of used POrshes.

Snap-on rachets and air impact, koken sockets, sidchrome spanners and Milwaukee for all my battery stuff. My 18v 1/2" impact is more powerful than my snap on impact gun, I just prefer the air impact because I can be rough with it and get it dirty

>equating picture quality and food quality with the ability to provide torque

nigga...

I'm guessing by the DA's you do body work.

Fuck I hate this field.

I like them, although I would say they're a little below MAC which I consider to be the best, but the dealer that stops at our workshop is chill as fuck. No pressure sales tactics, very relaxed payment system, and he doesn't try to guilt trip you every time you need a warranty exchange. When I dealt with Matco, the dealer would constantly bitch and moan about him not making any money on a tool exchange and would try and upsell me every time.

It depends on the dealer. I buy Mostly Snap on simply becuase they were the first to get me tool credit. I used to work at a Sears Auto Center and Craftsman were decent, but you needed to pay upfront.

I buy MAC, Matco, MTV, and Cornwell tools. Each for specialty tools and better deals.

But the bulk being Snap on.

>MTV

Fucking phone, meant KTC.

theyre all tools for a job retard

I do alittle my title is prepper/painter there's two of us at the shop we do all the primering blocking and painting and sometimes we'll help the newer guys with bodywork but not to often

But I hate it to were and insurance shop and our main client is Geico I hate them so much there always given priority even tho they pay the least and nitpick over everything but they give us the most cars :/ also the estmaters here are idiots who like to add supplements to the work orders after we're already done with a car (were pretty fast put out 30 plus cars a week on average)

We have some old cornwell stuff from before I even got ASE certified. The dealer shoes up very rarely, meanwhile the snap-on bastard shows up every two days trying to sell us bs electronics. We get things like scan tools and new socket sets from them. But the stuff that's lasted the longest with us is the MAC tools, even though the dealer comes in like once every month or two. Never even needed to replace any tools from them. Although I have this tiny 1/4" drive ratchet from snap-on that I use way too often for jobs that need bigger ratchets and its very solid and impressive.

Yeah I use my 1/4" snap on a ton too. I can attest to it's sturdyness

Round head, flex head, or fixed?
My round head is a beast, can break free 15mm rusted bolts easy.

Bump

I also bump this is a actually decent thread for once

For what it's worth most of the guys at my shop used many snap on like pic related second most was matco and we did really touch Mac but they don't exactly have the best stuff for paint/body

Mainly* and didn't* sorry I'm tired

I have alot or sk and proto tools going on third gen or bought at auction or gifted to me few snap on and mac thrown in. When i was in the business it was blue point if i could get a truck to drive out to my shop. A good ratchet is gold. But sockets are a dime a dozen pittsburg will do for most things. Anything battery is dewalt 20v and the only sawzall ill touch is a sawzall. Its more about what you expect from your tools the weekend warrior will do goood with the hardware store shit and the pro needs the rape van brand to make his hours.

I figure I'm more likely to lose a socket than break one. But a quality wrench is worth it spending good dosh, air impact, electric impact.

Thoughts?

I have a Mactools obdII reader I bought used on Kijiji...saved me a shitload of time, money and effort...
Most of the rest is Mastercraft for my trucks...I work as a kitchen/bath installer, so everything else is Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Fein...shit like that...

Bumping with best friends 572 swapped Camaro

Btw he uses snap on an Milwaukee

Milwaukee is just overpriced Ryobi

Good to know I love my Milwaukee grinders if I can get the same thing cheaper I'll try it out

>tfw all the heavy duty diesel mechanics at our shop just use Craftsman because they get the job done fine and they would rather spend their money on their mortgage instead of a pissing contest over tools like those underpaid kids working on book hours
I'm debating tryin to get into fleet and get off the truck. $26.50/hr to start and guaranteed 40hrs+ so none of the bullshit that lots of car techs gotta deal with. Supervisor there would put in the good word for me too.

Kinda agree, or atleast having tested plenty of Milwaukee drills, saws and other smaller tools, and owning a good bit of Ryobi 18v stuff

I like the Ryobis more. Price is better, the One+ battery line has tons of cool stuff in it, and its more widely available here

It's a round head. Crazy strong for such a small ratchet and it gets me into all the tight spaces

Well technically they use the same parts from TTI, but the plastic shells in the Milwaukee are reinforced and the parts are worked over and put together better
So the Milwaukee will probably last longer on the field

Can Ryobi just fix their triggers? They feel like ass

Tool noob here. What's the functional difference?

Bump

Thoughts?

Pittsburgh

No.

>CHINKFREIGHT

SNAP CITY

It's fine for a home mechanic

Lol nah most of their tools aren't even good for that. Tools are supposed to last thru more than one job and the guts aren't supposed to fall out of ratchets the first time you have a stubborn bolt.

Kobalt, Craftsman, Stanley, shit like that you buy for home and actually take care of. You buy a Pittsburgh set for Grandma to make her feel safe living alone since Grandpa died knowing full well she won't even use the screwdriver to change the batteries on her TV remote. Or you're incredibly poor.

But to be fair they have a couple things that are OK if you know what to look for. But you really shouldn't shop there for sets, only if you know what you are doing or are tired of Jamal borrowing your sockets all the time and want some cheap ones that will blow up next time he tries to use them on your impact gun.

If you're a kid tryin to wrench on your first car and have no tools, go buy a decent Kobalt set from Lowes or wait for Xmas and get a Craftsman set on sale from Sears.

Oh, well I'm an idiot estimator at a body shop who is in contract with many large insurers, state farm, allstate, nationwide, alfa and a few oddballs, i also just do most non physical tasks, paperwork, dealing with insurance adjusters, ordering parts, interacting with the customers etc.

It all fucking sucks.

Socket wrenches from Snap-on and the sockets from Harbor Freight.

Pittsburg chrome sockets are ass but their impact ones are aight

>Or you're incredibly poor.
Or you prefer a fatter wallet.

>mfw people buy uber expensive tools

You must be ham fisted if you break ratchets. Use penetrative fluid you mongoloid

You've clearly never turned a wrench in your life. 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets have a tendency to go bang if you use them for anything serious.

Buy your first one of everything at Harbor Freight. If you use it often enough or hard enough to break it, then it's worth the money to upgrade to a better manufacturer.

Not really. If you invest in decent tools once and take care of them, you will rarely have to replace anything. You can say "muh HF warranty!" buy you will waste more time and gas driving back and forth where you would've been better off spending the extra $$ on Craftsman.

Their black and green ones aren't terrible, but almost all of the others are trash and break even under moderate use.

Go buy some HF ratchets, all of the penetrating oil you want, and try to do suspension work on a car that has spent a few years anywhere they use road salt. Fuck, those round head HF ratches will fall apart if you knock em off the work bench one too many times.

I'm not trying to waste all that time. I don't want to have to try and get to HF every Sunday afternoon before they close because another one of their POS tools broke. I'd rather grab some Kobalt on sale for like 30% more and not be worried about it.

Take care of your shit and you won't have to buy trash.

You didn't even read my reply, did you?

I did. Why waste that step? Just spend the money on something better and take care of them. Then you won't have to deal with cheap ass broken tools in the middle of a job.

I'm not saying you need to buy Snap-On. Just saying that especially if you want a starter set, go Craftsman or Kobalt. Don't waste your time with HF. Too risky. If you need one specialty thing you might use once, rent it from VatoZone or do HF. Otherwise do some research because HF has a couple things that are worth the money but most of their basic hand tools you are better off buying a slightly better brand and take care of them because you know 20 years from now that wrench that isn't made of Chinesium won't fail you on a stubborn bolt on a Sunday afternoon when most stores are closed and you need your car to get to work Monday morning.

My Earthquake holds up to regular shop use and abuse. Ave's video is pretty good as to why the SnapOn will hold up to abuse longer.

Usually use the M18 instead though.

nigga, you are being autistic about their ratchets which are admittedly mediocre at best. but their box ends, line wrenches, breaker bars, jack stands, fuckin' clamps, screwdrivers, and virtually every other hand tool they sell is perfectly fine for the hobbyist. if you are snapping breaker bars or six point sockets you are doing it wrong.

I fucking hate their cheap screwdrivers. Good screwdrivers and good drill and driver bits will make a world of difference.

Especially new people, I tell them to stay away from HF for their first big kit because so much of it is trash. Wait for a Craftsman set on sale and spend $50 more and then little extra shit they can debate how much they will use it and see if they're willing to buy a cheap one that has a higher chance of failing. Their jacks are OK, their tool carts are fine if you just need them to be stationary in the garage. 6pt sockets, sure because it's hard to fuck that up but if you get a good Kobalt or Stanley set to start it will last forever anyway.

Not much functional difference between them all.
The fixed head is supposed to be the most stable and have highest strength rating but can be tough to fit in small corners and you have to attach to the nut/bolt straight on.
The flex head provides flexibility to attach and turn in tight places but the flex pivot is considered a weak point that can fail under massive load.
The round head is like the flex head but has a zero degree turning radius, its can easily be flipped into a ratcheting screwdriver while using. But its considered the "weakest" cause of the two flex points. But its still ridiculously strong and if it's a snap-on you get a life time warranty.

Everyone has a preference to which they want to use. I prefer round head on 1/4 and 3/8 but prefer a fixed head on 1/2 ratchets.

the big craftsman sets are mostly filler tools to make it look like you are getting a good bargain. out of a 50ish piece set you will use maybe half that and craftsman will nickle and dime your ass for all the one off sockets and extensions you inevitably end up buying.

I've been using cheapo ratchets on rust boxes in Canada for years, they last fine as long as you aren't a moron slipping a cheater bar over a 1/4" to undo a rusty bolt

In that case you're supposed to use an impact wrench

started tech school with some hobo freight tools and a craftsman socket set but now I am trying to phase them out with matco tools.

And that's how you strip the fastener. You underestimate how soft metal gets when it rusts.

You gotta be smart with it. One thing that pisses me off with a lot of them is you get like 12x7/32" sockets in different sizes, and not a single pair of pliers. But lots of them will still come with a big set of sockets and extensions and 3 different drives plus screwdrivers, hex keys, torx bits n shit, and box wrenches. So basically add a pliers set and jack and stands and you can start ripping into stuff.

Grab a tape measure, level, drill, and bits and you can take care of most shit around the house.

And that Tuesday night at 11pm when you really need that deep 6pt 1/4" drive socket, that Craftsman set will have it. So just take care of the shit and you will be good for years.

And the stuff really isn't much more than HF if you buy at the right time. Saves you from spending $6 on that one stupid socket time after time. Plus they give you spark plug sockets too which are great.

You also underestimate how shitty some of those ratchets are. Like I said, they will break from knocking them off the work bench the wrong way. I have one friend who loved to buy those cheap HF ratchet sets and every fucking time they just fell apart and not even when we had a cheater bar on it or anything.

And you fail to understand how an impact works

Again, ham fisted. They last fine if you aren't a 200 lbs gorilla

I understand exactly how an impact works, and after rounding off more fasteners than I care to admit by using an impact on them, I went back to the proper method of using an ordinary ratchet and a strong, steady arm to remove fasteners.

>thinking 200lbs is gorilla-tier
Manlet detected

>I went back to the proper method of using an ordinary ratchet and a strong, steady arm to remove fasteners
But that's how you snap the heads off bolts

>Manlet
I was going to say that.

Good tools can take some abuse without falling apart. It's not a good screwdriver if you can't use it to pry shit from time to time.

>tfw alarm goes off in 4hrs
Fuck me.

>doesn't even get the AvE reference

Which would happen anyway if you used an impact on them.

I cherry-pick which of his videos I watch. A large portion of his content simply isn't interesting to me.

So you really don't know haw and impact works

If the head is snapping off of your bolt, the bolt is structurally compromised. An impact will tear it apart the same as brute force would.

You know an impact wrench doesn't apply constant torque, right? The impacts jolt the threads free so you don't need to put anywhere near enough torque to snap a head off to undo it