/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Pure ASCII (now with taffer!) edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/q4dqgKxg
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave_adaptation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for elves

what's your guy's opinion on Rimworld

the Interface and graphics are very appealing

I find it an entertaining diversion from Dorf Fort, for a while. Better than gnomorrhea, but still lacking in some content compared to Dorf.
The improved interface and existent "art" style certainly make it more digestible, but it's only a good alternative if your big draw to Dorf Fort is colony management.

I like it, I'd say Rimworld has a more personal and comfy feel due to smaller scale. Less complex and management involved, though that doesn't really matter to me. Also a win condition is present to build a ship and get off world. And no z-levels. Great ranged combat though, but that makes melee kinda useless unless you design the base defenses accordingly.

Also there's a lot of fucking heat surrounding DF vs Rimworld, just saying.

ELVES YOU SAY!?

pastebin.com/q4dqgKxg

It's ok. I'd heard people calling it a DF clone, but people will call anything a DF clone. I wasn't prepared for just how similar it is to DF.
that said, it does exactly what I want the most in DF - lower population numbers with more detailed citizens and more interesting relationships, with a few more random events. it just doesn't do anything well enough to maintain your interest as long as DF does.

To be fair, nickel is at least magma safe. Still a really shitty lack of metal there, though. Rather have bronze armor than be forced to have my soldiers unprotected.

What the hell happened here? Suddenly two of my dwarves start fighting, then everyone starts killing everyone. Is this a loyalty cascade? My justice tab just says "there are no criminals," but I'm hard pressed to find an explanation for this.

If I say no enough times maybe they'll stop electing him.

>be above ground fort
>mfw you fuck up and use all of your wood to partially construct a great border wall but then you can't finish building your meeting place/future inn or anything else because lel aquifers blocking stone and no wood for pump parts

Is there an updated link to the monster hunter mod out there? All the ones I'm finding are broken. I just want to raise an army of Diablo dammit.

>aboveground fort
>building a wall to isolate your fort
Well then what the fuck is the point of building above ground?

building a cozy village of course
what's cozier than waiting out a zombie siege in the middle of winter, eating the last of the sugar/egg/flour/berry "pies" from the summer, and re-reading books about the wheel-and-axle?

The wall is just around where I'm building and there are passageways through it to defend that I don't seal. Also birds are even more annoying since I'm not going to go full autist and put a roof over the city and they can fly many z levels above my poor terrified citizens instead of being restricted to confined tunnels. They're humans anyways, they're not built to strike the earth.

desu it is pretty comfy to be above ground with all the grass and my lake and river

what cozy little village has a big wall surrounding it?

What modded in creatures are you guys fond of using. What beast satiates your beards with the blood of goblins and elves the most?

Tavern brawl gone horribly wrong. Hope you have a hospital set up.

not modded, but slaughtering goblins (or elves) as large animal-men in adventure mode is incredibly satisfying

I don't mod in any. Vanilla has plenty. I do remove a few, though.

I got frustrated, let my pet dragon loose on everyone, then force quit. Not in the spirit of the game, but I'm starting to reach the point where the scale of things I'd want to do combined with the drop in FPS from ten dozen dwaves is dropping my interest in playing for now

yeah it doesn't really help that dark fortresses are currently FPS death traps now ;_;

I just want to see a vault or get killed by an angel

>But I'm a Competent Beekeeper! And I brought all my young kids with me!

>they don't gas the women and children with magma mist while sending the strong males to the gulag

it's like you don't even Dwarfschwitz.

>not killing the men and children before taking in the sex slaves

Flying intelligent deity impersonating steel boned dragons count?

have to mod in genitals for that

>he can't use the power of his imagination to turn that boring old tavern into a brothel as dwarves reproduce with their spores

&
Hey guys, I'm Urist Liecheat, coming straight from the Mountainhomes. Praise minerals!

>Only females

You lack ambition

>digging through my aquifer with pumps
>stray war dog has been found dead
>figure it was one that I think a kangaroo chased down somewhere and killed
>zoom to location
>it was one of my war dogs chained by the front gate
>blood everywhere
>oh shit what the fuck
>doesn't look like there is anything hostile in the area though
>other war dogs chained up right beside it are fine
>check reports
>dog died because its neck skid across the ground and exploded
>can't find any explanation as to why it skid in the first place
Is this because my dwarves are bumping into my dogs as they run in and out the front grate and kicking them around in the process or some shit?

>not killing the men and women before taking in the sex slaves

I like Rimworld, it actually helped me to get how labours work and what is a difference between labour and task.
Plus im a big sucker for space colony sims and vidya have a disturbing lack of games like that.

>Dwarfschwitz.

>First three migrant waves are staff
>the rest are prisoners of war from the regime change
>Your job is to process them in a variety of creative and fun ways
>keep going until the staff inevitably go mad from the horrors they perpetrated

I'd play it.

>that resolution
>that font
>using minimap

My first issue with Rimworld is games that require building walls, floors etc just to create a room piss me off for some reason. DF has spoiled me in all that I have to do to make a nice room or dining hall is dig an area out. No resources or time spent.

Other thing that annoys me about Rimworld is how die-hard Rimworldfags seem to make it their personal vendetta to yell at people about how Rimworld's somehow better and more complex than DF and that DF "is for hipsters because it has no graphics", while angrily jerking off into their own mouths. I played it a bit, it's OK. Just feels like a reskinned Prison Architect though to be fair. The setting is cool though and like says having a win condition is nice.

>needing a low population to develop personal feelings/relationships for your dorfs
Try naming them better.

Well i fap to both games so i dont have a problem..

>DF less complex than Rimworld
Thats gotta be a joke...

DF has always blown me away but I haven't played in years and the UI feels way to shitty for me to relearn. Also needing a third party program to manage your dwarves really kills the immersion and enjoyment for me. Has any of this been changed/fixed in the past 5 years or should I just move along?

You don't need third party programs to enjoy Dwarf Fortress, just judicial use of v-p-l. Ui is the same as ever though, so if it really is such a big issue maybe come back in a few probably 20 years.

Or you can just stop being a little bitch.

>is how die-hard Rimworldfags seem to make it their personal vendetta to yell at people about how Rimworld's somehow better and more complex than DF

You must be a fucking idiot if you think those posts are anything other than people looking to get a rise out of /dfg/. Not a single person who posts that stuff actually believes it, its all just baiting for angry responses. Jesus christ I'm amazed this general hasn't caught on yet, it's laughable.

oh i know they're bait, but I know there are actual people that think this way too outside of le bait posts we get on here occasionally. A RL friend of mine literally thinks I'm turning into a hipster because I keep playing good, old games rather than spending a few hundred a month on buying whatever flavor of the month that everyone else only plays for a week and abandons.

The UI isn't that bad, it just looks daunting. It's all just basic hotkey memorization which comes with time. After a couple of forts you won't even look at the UI/menus half the time when designating stuff to be done.

>this shitposter again

>but I know there are actual people that think this way too outside of le bait posts we get on here occasionally.

I actually remember joining a normie discord for reasons and accidentally revealing my dorf powerlevel. Those peasants shit on the game for having bad graphics. I thought that was a meme at first, like "surely people aren't stupid enough to judge a game on its looks lone" but I was proven wrong.

Yea, normies see DF and instantly lose their shit. >lol it has no graphics

Ok everyone post your fort, no cleaning up. I'm experimenting with my first one-zlevel fort after getting sick of making the same multi z-level box.

I just captured some kangaroos. I was going to use them as guards but I guess they're grazers. Should I replace my fledgling goat milk industry with kangaroos?

It's actually a clever optical illusion. Although it looks like an above-ground village made of wood, it's actually entirely enclosed in the caverns...

oh that's dorfy as fuck, nice one Urist

You know I was joking, right? It's an above-ground village made of wood.

oh, well above ground forts are still fun, but reading an old thread there was actually an user that carved an empty cavern and built an underground above-ground fort.

If I were to cause constructed walls and floors to collapse, would I get the materials I used to build them back? Basically, if I demolish a building by deconstructing the ground floor will I get my shit back or do I have to manually deconstruct each floor?

What? How was my answer a shitpost? Dfhack and therapist make df easier but aren't necessary to play. And we won't get a ui anytime soon, Toady himself said he won't work on one until after many more features are implemented.

Yeaaahhh, there's a reason I just hide the posts and move on, shit is depressing as fuck.

Like a kid escaping a dark fortress, making an epic journey across haunted glaciers and savage jungles, at last cresting the final rise before they can see their home, and seeing the ruined buildings interspersed with bodies on stakes and spears.

Try it and find out. Post results too pls.

>Like a kid escaping a dark fortress, making an epic journey across haunted glaciers and savage jungles, at last cresting the final rise before they can see their home, and seeing the ruined buildings interspersed with bodies on stakes and spears.

You just gave me the idea for a new book/novel...

I'm not too sure if I want to deconstruct my great wall of safety at this time though.

Aww, it could be fun! :3

How long did it take you to get a grasp on the game? Did you play daily?

when is the ui going to be fixed it's literally the only thing wrong with the game fucking hell toady

3 weeks of non-stop play and now I can dorf properly.

Glad to help!

kek

Never ever

I started a few years back. I want to say maybe even as far back as 2012 but I'm not sure.

Anyways, I only played every now and then for short periods, mainly in adventure mode. I'm in the middle of my dwarf binge right now and I still can't really into military, though that's probably because I have never smelted any metal.

>like rimworld
>also like dwarf fortress
>play both for different reasons
>play dwarf fortress for the expansive base building and story telling potential
>play rimworld for the min/max and Objective: Survive tier shit aswell as casual colony simulation because it's easier
>dwarf people hate me because I'm a casual for playing rimworld
>rimworld people hate me because I play le ascii game

most of the UI works perfectly. I don't get the "DF UI is bad" meme.

I mean, there improvements to be made. the keystrokes used for digging designations must be consistent with their counterparts in the build manu, which they aren't. we also need additional functionality, like search functions on certain manus.

the legends mode also needs more work. in the long "event" list, we should be able to sort the events by civilisation, site or hist fig. or just search by name.

but like I said, there's nothing wrong with the basic UI. just because it's tricky to learn doesn't mean it's bad.

Pretty sure it's just a few autists on both sides, coupled with some memery. No one actually cares what people play. Except people on /v/ that sperg out whenever someone makes a df thread.

no one hates you for playing RW.

/dfg/ hates people who try to shill RW here in hopes of reviving their dead general.

I like mousey clicker and easy buttons, hotkeys are gay especially when the entire keyboard is in use, with it being case sensitive and laggy aswell. Toady hates us man.

DF-only person here. I don't "hate" Rimjob players, I just hate the elitist dick ones that won't just shut up and enjoy/play their game. They're similar yet very different games, but some hardcore Rimjob fanboys still feel the need to try to talk up their shit too much or compare the two too hard.

I saw these threads occasionally in Veeky Forums when Veeky Forums was new. One day decided fuck it and started watching 51ppycup vids, then after a few episodes decided to play along.

Had trouble at first, but watched shitloads of capnduck every night before bed (cuz his voice puts me to sleep) and it was comfy and chill. Just played it more and more, you learn stuff from these threads, from watching LPs, from reading the wiki, from experience. DF taught me not to emotionally invest in a game and get upset over losing. Before DF I was a ragey angry gamer, now I'm like "lol I died, that was fun" and couldn't care less about dying/losing in any game. It just sucks because a few of my gamer friends I play normie games with sometimes still get angry over "wtf that was hax" and "he totally shot me through the wall this is bullshit" instead of not just learning from their mistakes and having FUN

>/dfg/ hates people who try to shill RW here in hopes of reviving their dead general.>>

We should really combine those two into one general.

Well i also play them both and i dont give a flying fuck about what people think about that fact.

Before DF I was a long-time FFXI Online player. I find mouse/menus/clicking to be too slow compared to hotkeys and macros. Keyboard only is always faster, and that's why normies hate on DF's "crap UI". They try to use the mouse, expect tooltips, "Press F to pay respects" and other dumb shit like that.

git gud casul

Mouse support generally only works with games with a limited set of features. In a game where the number of features constantly grows, deciding which features should show up on the mouse bar/menu becomes arbitrary.

There's nothing wrong with using hotkeys. In DF, the hotkeys tend to make more sense, because the letters used serve as mnemonic hints. They're only tricky for new players.

>hotkeys are gay especially when the entire keyboard is in use, with it being case sensitive and laggy
Laggy? What the fuck are you talking about?

And for the record, hotkeys have been proven time and time again to be significantly more efficient than clicking. Why do you think all those pro starcraft players look like movie hackers with the way they mash their keyboard as fast as they can?

Far from a normalfag (stop using reddit "normie" term please, it's grating) but I just think it could be more streamlined. Nobody is saying that it should be just click mousey, but a combination of both is considered standard for most non-casual games.

>laggy
Maybe it's just my shit pc but sometimes I feel like it's just not as quick as I'd want it to be.

This. I can't imagine how long it'd take to get shit done in DF if you could only use the mouse.

Why?

/dfg/ is thriving because DF has an actual community.

/rwg/ is dead because their players lack the drive to keep their general alive.

Why should a good general with a strong community have to make compromises to support a general which failed to keep itself alive?

I know there are people that do nothing but play dwarf fortress, any of them here?

I'm talking you have never seriously touched any other videogame for more than just a few minutes.

>Maybe it's just my shit pc but sometimes I feel like it's just not as quick as I'd want it to be.
Sounds like a user issue, not a game issue.
By the way, you can use the mouse to designate areas. The problem is that you shouldn't because its shit and hard to use accurately compared to just designating rectangles with the keyboard.

I use arrow keys for everything when I do play.

Just wish there was more easy baby support casualization. I would hate for normalfags to invade the community, but it would always be a nice fallback to hotkeys.

There are no vaults or angels in dark fortresses

>le reddit bogeyman
Don't start that shit here dude, it's the most cancerous meme around right now. "Anything I dislike or perceive to be different from my understanding of Veeky Forums culture is automatically reddit"

Otherwise yeah, the ui could definitely use a bit of a cleanup. Shame it won't happen in the near future, but eh. It's easily manageable.

My terrifying cavern fort main level. Looking at my massive memorial halls a few levels below, i wonder where all the missing dwarves went. The only unrecoverable body lies in my cistern. I have the suspicion some fell in my magma refuse dump or got vaporized by magma mist.

I had to remove the cage traps at my open entrance above because a lot of dwarves got caught all the time while recovering stuff left lying around by caravans. The way to release them with levers is such a bullshit micromanagement.
It's raining some kind of muckus that knocks creatures unconscious. Caravans usually arrive fine in my cavern depot but sometimes unconscious traders leave their stuff behind.

Would it be a really terrible idea to run a fortress with only one dwarf?

Nothing can vaporize bodies outside of atom smashers as far as I know. If your dwarves died to lava/mist then their corpses would still be visible.
You dwarves are triggering traps because they're getting stunned by the sunlight after building up cave adaptation. Let them out more or drill a hole in the ceiling of your tavern to stop/mitigate cave adaptation buildup in the future.

>If your dwarves died to lava/mist then their corpses would still be visible.
Magma sets your dorfs on fire, which inevitably destroys their bodies. What remains is usually a pile of ashes.

Do it. One dwarf challenge.
>inb4 he gets stuck in a tree and has nobody to cut him down

Huh. I've had dwarves burn to death and leave a buriable body, and I've had creatures dropped into a volcano and their bodies just sunk to the bottom and rotted away. I wonder what's up with that.

Your dwarves weren't pussies who turn into ash at the first signs of heat

>adaptation to the dark

>ever happening in a video game.

Does it seriously happen? literally genetic changes and shit?

Genetic? No, but they will grow accustomed to the dark over the years. dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave_adaptation

Nah, play what you like man, we don't have a problem with the game, it's just depressing having rwg come over here trying to troll us.

Who sits in a general plotting about how to pick a fight with the most laid-back bunch of fuckers ever? Like... damn.

Carbuncle, you?

Yeah, coming from imgur as a usersub gatekeeper I have an easy time hating reddit (STOP FUCKING SUBMITTING SHIT TO THE GALLERY WHEN YOU JUST WANT TO LINK IT YOU STUPID CUNTS), but I don't get why people on a linear b pottery board care about it.

>had creatures dropped into a volcano and their bodies just sunk to the bottom and rotted away.
When was this?

I remember that people used to use some exploit where made their characters fire immune by melting off all their fat, but then Toady reworked the way fire damage worked by making fire destroy bodies. I don't remember when this was, but it was probably around 2012 or earlier.

Do you have temperature turned off?

Fire will eventually destroy damn near anything which isn't totally fireproof.

Burning a body in adventurer mode gets rid of it with nothing left but an ashes tile.

That's what I said, wasn't it?

I just said that it hasn't always been that way.

>but I don't get why people on a linear b pottery board care about it.
Preconceptions based on the typical userbase of reddit (normalfags and SJW numale cucks - as /v/ would put it). Generally pretty accurate but it fails to take into account that the majority of people on Veeky Forums nowadays used to browse one subreddit or another, and may even still do. Or maybe it's just the exceptions to that (myself included) who just naturally slipped into Veeky Forums without going through other sites first and can't really comprehend the fact that the majority of people wouldn't even know this site existed without it being mentioned somewhere else.

Current version.
I should clarify: They were cavern creatures, but I don't recall what exactly they were. Some troglodytes and trolls, I think. I thought it might have been fire imps, but they wouldn't have died after being dropped into the volcano in the first place.

Temperature was on.

I must be misremembering, I guess. Maybe I confused it with the junk I dropped down with the bodies? I just dumped all the junk I didn't want onto a bridge over the volcano lip and dropped it all down; clothes, weapons and armor from sieges and caged goblins and troglodytes all went in together. I remember a huge pile of junk remaining at the bottom of the volcano for years and years after dropping them in.

Now that I think about it, maybe it's because they were caged?

Hades

holy shit. nice game. too bad I can't handle the graphics and controls.