I bought an older Diesel truck, everything on it seems to be in excellent shape...

I bought an older Diesel truck, everything on it seems to be in excellent shape. However whenever I first start the truck up there is light white smoke until it reaches a normal idle speed (the smoke always last shorter than 5 seconds, and even less time if I start the engine and immediately start moving).

I have read it may be the injectors, but how big of a deal is this? Other than that the engine runs perfect.

Glow plugs.

how would it be the glow plugs? Especially since where I am at its 90 degrees (32c)

What truck?

Hilux with a 2LT engine. its like 30 years old.

They still turn on even if it is for a second or so.

Ah, no experience with that one. But injectors will at least be cheaper than a modern diesel

White smoke sounds like steam, you got water in your fuel system or something?

White smoke on start up is not associated with water in the fuel system. Its normal on older diesels on start up. Different story if its white smoke while driving.

Diesels are a blight to the car community.

what the fuck does this even mean?

Glow plugs are much more important for old diesels than they are for modern ones.
Even if the ambient temperature is quite high, they are still needed to ignite the fuel for the first few moments during start up, even more so if your engine still uses pre chambers.

I wouldn't worry too much about a few seconds of light smoke, but you could still at least test the glow plugs if they are easy to reach and if they have never been changed in the last 30 years

>neighbour drives Mazda Bravo
>burns glow pugs out if you wait for light
It still starts but for the first ~2 seconds it runs rough and pumps grey smoke out, start with the glowies.

>Mazda

Found the problem

Personal experience, my 3500 Ram started doing the same.

So I suppose check the oil dipstick. If smoke comes out, you got bad rings my friend. Otherwise, yeah it could be the injectors. I'm tired of people with their "I don't work on Diesel engines" bullshit. So get good faggot.

Anyway, check that. Have your injectors manually shot off one by one. If one doesn't affect its idle much after turning off, you got bad piston rings.

Good luck user.

It's injectors. Everyone else in this thread is severely retarded. White smoke is THE defining characteristic of a fucked injector on diesels.

Mazda is top tier.

Disappears after 5 seconds?
I wouldn't be worried. Its very common, caused by condensation in the air intake as it has been sitting for some hour. Condensation goes in with fuel, is evaporated and then flung out with the exhaust gases, creating white smoke

All three of our 2L-powered Hiluxes at my workplace do that in the warmer months

Spotted the rotary fag.

Smoke coming out the oil hole? Kek

My only experience is with tractors, and they all smoke a little on start up and when put under a load.

Head gaskoot. Oil burns blue, Diesel burns black and Coolant burns white.

valve stem seals

>t. Someone who has only ever driven gasoline

Injector nozzle tip broke off and was dumping fuel in the cylinder. It was a smoke screen worthy of a James bond flick. It's funny because when we shut it off it actually continued to idle for about 10 seconds "running away" on the fuel smoke that was getting sucked into the intake.

Kek