/stsg/ - Starsector General

Wall of text edition

Previous Thread: >What?
Starsector is a 2D single-player open-world RPG space combat exploration economic game thing, basically Mount & Blade but in space.
Outdated but still relevant introduction video:
youtube.com/watch?v=UTCpVY80Bpc

>Where?
Official site:
fractalsoftworks.com
Official forums:
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php#1

>Current version
0.8a-RC19

>List of popular mods
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

>My game keeps crashing help
Make sure you have Java 7 installed (not Java 8)
??? suggestions

>The performance is really bad what do I do?
Other than allocating more memory for the game to use, there isn't much you can do.
fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726

Other urls found in this thread:

fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12196.0
pastebin.com/iBNp6NS9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I love Onslaught-sama!

Funny how the Legion has more front-facing dakka than the Onslaught.

>2458x2846
wtf there is literally NO comfortable way to read this
neck yourself OP

just how small is your monitor and if you say 1080p then your vision must be terrible

Eyelets, when will they learn?

i can read it just fine if i zoom in using the browser settings so the pic fits the width of the screen, but not if i click on the pic itself which blows it up to 1:1 pixels

20/20 vision both eyes

stop excusing this shitty crop

I don't know if you want feedback for that picture but here I go.
It's clean and there's obviously been work put into it, which I can appreciate, but there are sentences that don't resume very well what a weapon can do. The first thing I read is :
>Weak compared to other large ballistics due to short range. But nevertheless very powerful.
So which is it? I get that you're trying to say it has shit range but if you say weak first that's what we're going to remember. You could just say it has very bad range but is powerful and thus is situational. There's more like it but you get the picture.
Now this is just me but I would have liked more advice rather than stat descriptions (which I can see in game). Stuff like "this gun needs X to shine". You have some but not enough in my opinion.

At the very least it's a good update to that old ass chart we've had until now.

When I enlarge it it just tries to fill the horizontal space which works fine. Maybe it's time you got an extension for your favorite taiwanese cartoon forum.

it's only comfy to read two columns side by side at a time

not everyone has a dual monitor setup in their neetdens

Do I still lose rep if I have to blow up some hostile ships while I'm retreating?

What are you even talking about it expands to the width of the browser and remains very readable on a singe 1920x1080 monitor?

What Cruiser-level ships are good? I just unlocked Friendly with Tri-Tachyon and they're offering Herons, Medusas, a Venture and a Doom.

maybe it's because my screen is 16" but 1080p

i imagine it's worse for those at 720p

>16"
lol

Dominator is an exceptional cruiser, you can fit it's small turrets in such a way that it can successfully repel a full encirclement by frigates.

2x devastators on the front and 2x light needlers in the SMALL mounts just behind them is enough to crack into the shields of other cruisers too and begin chewing up their armour/hull.

With enough combat skills it's insane.

Medusa is opop but that's a frigate

Destroyer.

It's a destroyer cmon

drown in semen

my point being that it isn't a cruiser

My point is that you are retarded.
We are both right.

Yeah I know what you mean, but I don't think it's as bad as you say. I'm pretty sure all the weapons mention their strengths and some guidance on how to utilize them. And I wanted to keep some flavor in the text, rather than make every entry about "effective against _ but weak against _" and so on. I tried doing that but it just made the whole thing so dry to read and there's a lot of text.

And my point is that it isnt a frigate.

can you post it with the back in plain black please so I can edit it for my own version? I will share it later to see if you like it

How does it feel not having fully functioning eyeballs?

it is possible to "unlock" the cap level of your character skill points? how you can do it? I dont know that much about coding

it will affect the performance of the game if I want the cap level to be 87 (max points)?

Yes.
If you unlock max cap your FPS will be reduced to 3.

for some reason i put converted hangar and some talons on all my salvage rigs

i doubt i will ever deploy them but something about doing it is satisfying

well fuck it, i'm too lazy to uninstal java 8 so i just installed the jre8u131.

let's watch this potato crash and burn

Oh fug, a new guide to save.

well the java8 jre didn't evne let the game open

let's try putting the java7 jre with java 8

>When your Pandemonium takes two weeks to repair after a no-damage encounter and drains half your fleet's resources at the edge of a hyperstorm

Any classy Malestrom skins?

where's my murrica fuck year mod with ten billion machineguns

Paint an onslaught yourself.

Just salvaged a Scarab - now what do I put on it? Loads of tactical lasers with two Hammerheads?

I remember wrecking shit with like 3 IR pulse and 2 Ion Cannons back in 0.72.

Been a while since I got into this game, is there a way to live as a trader with big boats and freighters? All I want to do is live off of capitalism, not combat.

Make it something like this please, with good font/alligment like you did OP and it will be 10/10

*autism*

at this point its basically just the Codex but with different blurbs

Already you can see how much wasted space there is.

thats the point. OPs pic is already big as fuck 2458x2846 so make it complete with all the info.
and if you want to do it more compact/lite, just do something like so you go full info or compact, not something between those and failing at both

>with good font/alligment
you cant even read.

it's compact enough to fit to the width of your browser on the most common type of monitor and has enough information to explain a bit about the weapons in a really easy to read format

only thing it's failing at are some of the descriptions not being helpful enough

your suggested format lacks efficient use of space, makes it harder to read as you would have to scroll down to get to missiles for example, and lacks the potential of properly expanding it once more weapons get added because they could cause the other issues to amplify, like an entire line added just for one weapon because the format requires it

no

>Surveying across the galaxy
>Come back to that Diktat planet, with the buttloads of fuel supply
>Patrols are distracted by pirates, go dark
>Drop 2 million worth of surveys into the black market
>Also buy a promethous tanker and 6k fuel on the black market
>Your reputation has dropped by 2
>....
>Only 2
These guys are pretty chill, I think i would be pretty pissed if someone dumped enough money to buy 6 capital ships into my black market. I could turn around and delete all their capital fleets in the system with that money no problem and these guys are only mildly annoyed by that transaction.

OP's pic is better than yours cunt. You even half-assed your own attempt at making it better.

What the heck do you use the two medium energy mounts on the front of the Conquest for?

graviton or large burst laser

are the anons talking about this mod fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12196.0 still here? the mod just got some bug-fixing

ion

the problem is not the bugs but because its unbalanced shit

I was actually using graviton, but it felt real weird to use it as the same time as the broadside. Maybe I should just set it to autofire.

I consider the lack of balance a bug :^)

>SS+ and a bunch of mods
>get a basic fleet going
>SO hammerhead, an enforcer + 4 frigs
>time for a real bounty
>110k
>get to the target
>it's fucking two moras with 3 talon wings and a bunch of frigs
>ok maybe i can grind em down
>kill everything except the moras
>kill like 15 wings of fighters
>one mora is at 100% and the other 98% fighters

Did he try his new fighter system even once before he released the update...

>leave the carriers completely unmolested
>'man it's so unbalanced how they can continue to maintain their wings of the single most disposable fighter in the game'

>compact enough
>2458x2846
b-but muh width!
then make it in columns if you want it width efficient, doesnt matter. the important thing is the detailed info. and I already said it:

>lacks efficient use of space, makes it harder to read as you would have to scroll down to get to missiles
how the fuck a 2458 width make it efficient? you have 3 columns, and you can only read 2 at time, so you will need to scroll horizontally no matter what.

I admit the width efficiency factor is better than the alligments I used on my pic. but you either make it 3 columns width efficient or just 1 column for scroll down/up to check all.
the 3 columns is better, 640x3 so just need to scroll down/up to see it all.

pic related, best design possible: specific info, width efficient and as compact as it can be.

Wtf dude

>you have 3 columns, and you can only read 2 at time
this has been said several times already my man, it expands to the width of your browser and remains very readable on any bog standard monitor from the past decade

if you are browsing on a "16 laptop then that's your problem

and as another user posted, what you are suggesting is basically the exact same thing as the in-game codex

>infinite fighters
>infinite crew
>balanced

Also almost infinite CR. Stop posting confused roody poos.

>browsing on a "16 laptop then that's your problem
you mean "24 1080p monitor?
>basically the exact same thing as the in-game codex
of course, in a more easy/compact way with a player wise opinion of the gun.
again, either you get a real compact or you go specific but efficient you cant try to do both like OPs pic (2458x2846 and no specific info)

So learn to properly expand images within the browser because I don't know what the fuck you're talking about not being able to read three columns at once. Just stop shitting up the thread already, none of your arguments are making any sense.

Yo, where do you guys find antimatter blasters? I want to get some Medusas but I can't find any to outfit them with.

I usually gather a bunch just by fighting pirates because the buffalo mk2 has one

Something is wrong on your end then, or you're somehow not putting enough pressure on the Moras, which, with a hammerhead and an enforcer is pretty likely. The 4 frigs will only be useful for tapping fighters, and I'm guessing you don't have dual flaks on those.

But yes, you can grind down paired Moras. I've done it with a Diable destroyer fleet before. The Moras themselves don't have much going for them once you suppress the fighters. If you went long enough to see 15 wings then your DPS is just too low.

I really don't remember hammerheads being so good. I have two set up with extended shields for that sweet 360, hardened shields so it doesn't collapse right away (it's at 0.43 dmg on my stat screen) max vents and a distributor to help feed this shield, those weapons and accelerated ammo feeder. Also a targeting unit so they can engage pesky high techs with lightyear long lasers. I think it has become my favorite AI ship.

I just wish needlers fired a constant stream rather than a burst.

>sabots for missiles
>heavy mortars on medium ballistics
>railguns on front small slots
>vulcans on rear small slots
there, the best hammerhead build

I don't trust AI with small missile slots.

You should, they use them fairly well. Especially Sabots.

Accelerated Ammo Belts or whatever its called got buffed, now you generate less flux while using it

>b-but you dont know how to ctrl wheel+- !
whats the point when you can make the pic almost to fit perfect in the first place. and you will need to scroll down no matter what, because the list is large. so take advantage and be specific.

again (and Im still waiting 1 single argument against this):
either you make it all compact / easy to check it as a whole / 1 caption
or you make it precise and visually apealing as much as you can
you try both and you fail both kid.

your arguments? none, like the entire time.

and the thread is slow as fuck, what do you want to talk about, the fucking shit layout/orientation of the Conquest?

Anyone know where I can find some sparks?

Enforcer died in the first 30 seconds due to getting completely zerged by the 6 balanced wings of infinite dps and sustainability. It had two flaks. Any time i went up to a mora i immediately got 3 talong wings on me which slowly got me to a point where i couldn't go aggressive. Also heavy armor and damper field on top of that. The drawback of the ridiculous dps application of fighters is supposed to be that it drops eventually but currently it doesn't unless you completely slaughter them instantly or damage the carriers. The game is balanced around money and two moras are several times more expensive than what i brought to the fight so it wasn't ever going to be easy but it's a bit dumb that they're untouchable even when surrounded. Mora in the hand of the AI has zero weaknesses. Not that there's much room for discussion, the developer himself have said fighters are getting nerfed in the next patch and it's likely the mora gets hit too (SS+ already nerfed damper field though afaik, but it wasn't enough).

you need to search for beacons when you are on hyperspace

beacons can have 3 colors, yellow, orange, red, you can guess why. inside of the near systems you will find [REDACTED]

>not SO and assault chainguns and dual ACs

Git gud

>almost max flux from getting hit by long range ordnance on the way up to that 450 range threshold.
>dakka for half a second and explode.

Get outta here luddith degenerate.

To expand on this you want systems with at least an orange beacon.

>ctrl wheel
Literally just click the image.
And because of your failure to understand this simple process of pressing a mouse button, your whole argument for "can't do both" (whatever that means) falls apart.

Besides that, what information is actually missing from the image that you so desperately need to have there? Everything relevant to the weapon has already been spelled out.

please die

tri-tach a best

I think I might have broken my game by putting the max allowable fleets to high in setting. Anyone wanna upload a default settings.json file or share the economy fleet spawning configuration section?

that's a big ship

>Enforcer died in the first 30 seconds
Wait are you serious? How the hell did you manage to get your enforcer killed? Those things are basically mini Dominators. If you can get an Enforcer killed by fighters somehow I really have to wonder what you're doing with it. Is your battle strategy literally just to charge in head first?

The problem with the Mora was never about the fighter wings, but the fact that you can hit the Mora with six volleys of Reapers and it'll take next to no damage if you don't time it right. A pair of dual flaks is enough to vaporize talons, though concentrating your PD on one ship is basically asking to get crippled.

The fighter nerf won't have any impact on the Mora unless it takes away the Damper Field, and if it takes away the Damper Field the Mora becomes useless as usual. The Mora is strong as a distraction, not as an actual combatant. It's basically the poor man's Dominator without any firepower aside from Spark wings.

>mismatched front ballistic mounts
reeeeeeeeeee

I hope that's what you want
pastebin.com/iBNp6NS9

I trade symmetrical autism for minmax autism.
Shouldn't you be REEEEEing at those people building one sided conquests instead?

someone please post the fighter wing guide tia

how do you make a pure low tech red fleet that can somehow chase hit&runners as well as retreating cargo pinatas if they all move and turn as slow as garbage trucks.

>getting hit by things

It's like you don't even go fast

Hounds.

HAHA JUST CLICK THE IMAGE DUDE
so you are the one who doesnt know shit. dumb as fuck kid.

>what information is actually missing from the image that you so desperately need to have there?
specific range of the weapon, so you can combine your arsenal to the best efficiency possible.
flux/second needed, so you can flux manage the ship and consider what actions to do in specifics moments of the combat.
dps/burst damage, so you can adapt your playstyle, knowing when you can act aggresive or not, on which targets.
>"can't do both" (whatever that means)
you are so retard you still dont get it. and you just keep confirming it reply after reply. here, again, just like when you were in the special kids school:
compact, short and direct description, visually pleasant no resize/scroll needed, no precise info.
not compact 2458x2846, empty extended description, visually bad resize/scroll needed, no precise info.
not compact, can have usefull extended description(have the space for), visually decent minimum resize/scroll needed, precise info.

you still dont understand the jack of all trades master of nothing? dont worry, here is a candy.

It's at the top of the thread.

Read the thread rather than asking to be spoonfed like a baby.

I can do both. I'm a man of many talents.

>Mora in the hand of the AI has zero weaknesses.

It has one weakness.

It doesn't know to RUN when it sees my Dominator burn driving at 99% the speed of light towards it.

Thanks my man! Hopefully everything works again!

>medium needler

Swap it out for a light needler. Really.

You're only getting 5 extra needle shots in comparison to the light. No extra range or anything.

there is people who dont one side conquest? what are they, mentally discapacited?

hellbore costs 6 op in a conquest
it's criminal to not put it on the other side even as a dump stat